• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

did anybody else... hate Aqua?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards
Ven was merely 'okay That's interesting, because I felt that he was the only one who delivered emotion in such a pronounced way that we got it. Unlike people who believe Aqua's VA who was terrible -- I always felt (though i may be making excuses for myself) that her lack of showing emotion was due to her composure no matter the situation. Not to say she couldn't have done better. . . that's for sure.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
Ven was merely 'okay That's interesting, because I felt that he was the only one who delivered emotion in such a pronounced way that we got it. Unlike people who believe Aqua's VA who was terrible -- I always felt (though i may be making excuses for myself) that her lack of showing emotion was due to her composure no matter the situation. Not to say she couldn't have done better. . . that's for sure.

Ven's VA has done work in the KH series before so he knows his shit. Newcomers? Its a 50/50 shot. Aqua's VA seemed to know her character and did it well. Terra...terra was just Terra-ble ( laugh at me marly laugh).

denizenofevil

I actually liked Aqua's voice. I think it fit her character really well. She sounded calm and mature. I didn't like Terra's VA on the other hand.

Marly

Awards
Ven's VA has done work in the KH series before so he knows his shit. Newcomers? Its a 50/50 shot. Aqua's VA seemed to know her character and did it well. Terra...terra was just Terra-ble ( laugh at me marly laugh).

gtfobaby1.gif

Allister Rose

French Lover
damn it the pitty excuse? stop giving pitty to willa. for her first time i suppose it waas ok, but in general it was bad. that and sheis the one who agreed to the job, so it's not like she was forced to do this.

i agree with marly on this one.

again for all those who argue about her voice. it's not her voice that's the problem (it usually never is in a game) it's the acting. I admit that terra wasn't the best either, but in the japanese one he was almost as emotionless as english aqua at some points, so it's not cristian bale didn't do badly, it's just som eparts could've been delivered better. Aqua's VA just sounded like she tried but wasn't good enough...

Marly

Awards
Is it me or did I hear something about the VAs auditioning in front of Nomura? I thought that also applied to the English BBS.

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
damn it the pitty excuse? stop giving pitty to willa. for her first time i suppose it waas ok, but in general it was bad. that and sheis the one who agreed to the job, so it's not like she was forced to do this.

Who says its pity? =/ It's very rare for first time voice-actors to be utterly fantastic from the get-go; it takes time and practice. Heck, it took even Richard Epcar (a guy who's been in the VA buisness for a while now, I believe) a couple of games before he really pulled off voicing Xehanort. Not everyone can pull off what Jesse McCartney did in KH2, and even then, he's been improving with each new game.

again for all those who argue about her voice. it's not her voice that's the problem (it usually never is in a game) it's the acting. I admit that terra wasn't the best either, but in the japanese one he was almost as emotionless as english aqua at some points, so it's not cristian bale didn't do badly, it's just som eparts could've been delivered better. Aqua's VA just sounded like she tried but wasn't good enough...

Umm, Christian Bale didn't voice Terra; Jason Dohring did. xD And likewise, it was his first time voice acting as well. While I personally preferred Willa over Jason (unlike most), I expect both of them will be better next game.

Allister Rose

French Lover
i honestly don't see how they chose the voice actor (and i accidentally said cristian bale i meant jason).

and i defintely say it's more pity than praise. it always is "for her first time" when complimeted alot. so yes, i say it's defintely pity. ingeneral she was bad, for her first time, it was ok.

but like i said, they have the option to refuse the offer, and i'm even mreo mad at how they even choose these VA's for KH. lately it's like they are intentionally trying to make the VAing bad.

terra i dont mind so much because it's not that different fomr his japanese IMO, just younger voice which i think gives it a better feel
Is it me or did I hear something about the VAs auditioning in front of Nomura? I thought that also applied to the English BBS.

i heard that too but i'm not so sure he personally saw the VAing.

Theart

Awards
i honestly don't see how they chose the voice actor (and i accidentally said cristian bale i meant jason).

and i defintely say it's more pity than praise. it always is "for her first time" when complimeted alot. so yes, i say it's defintely pity. ingeneral she was bad, for her first time, it was ok.

but like i said, they have the option to refuse the offer, and i'm even mreo mad at how they even choose these VA's for KH. lately it's like they are intentionally trying to make the VAing bad.

i heard that too but i'm not so sure he personally saw the VAing.

Uh, how? Probably like this;

Square-Enix/Disney: Tryouts for english dub of Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep!

Nomura: Here's a few folks I have in mind for Aqua *Willa Holland is on the list*

Willa's Agent: *Is notified* Yo Willa, go try out for this Disney video game.

Willa: Okay. *tries out for Aqua* How did I do, Nomura-san?

Nomura: You're hired.

Willa: Great!

Naturally, it's a lot more complex than that (I'd imagine), but that's probably the bare basics of how it went down. And honestly? Turn down a job offer? I don't know if you're aware, but most actors and actresses don't make that much money. Sure, the ones that everyone knows about do, but there's a lot of folks who don't roll in the dough, so to speak (especially voice actors). So if Willa is hired/asked for a job, I think she'd probably be crazy to turn it down. Especially if it's a job offer from DISNEY. =/

If it's pity, then I suppose I've pitied a lot of the voice actors in the KH franchise thus far. =P In which case, Willa isn't exclusive and is only getting fair treatment from me.

As for why S-E and Disney chose these VA's? Because they may want to have some "new blood", so to speak.

Marly

Awards
As for why S-E and Disney chose these VA's? Because they may want to have some "new blood", so to speak.

Or we could go with the most logical reason: They liked them.

Even if you didn't.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Uh, how? Probably like this;

Square-Enix/Disney: Tryouts for english dub of Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep!

Nomura: Here's a few folks I have in mind for Aqua *Willa Holland is on the list*

Willa's Agent: *Is notified* Yo Willa, go try out for this Disney video game.

Willa: Okay. *tries out for Aqua* How did I do, Nomura-san?

Nomura: You're hired.

Willa: Great!

Naturally, it's a lot more complex than that (I'd imagine), but that's probably the bare basics of how it went down. And honestly? Turn down a job offer? I don't know if you're aware, but most actors and actresses don't make that much money. Sure, the ones that everyone knows about do, but there's a lot of folks who don't roll in the dough, so to speak (especially voice actors). So if Willa is hired/asked for a job, I think she'd probably be crazy to turn it down. Especially if it's a job offer from DISNEY. =/

If it's pity, then I suppose I've pitied a lot of the voice actors in the KH franchise thus far. =P In which case, Willa isn't exclusive and is only getting fair treatment from me.

From what it sounded like in Nomura's blog post, it kind of happened the other way around.

S-E US makes a casting call, and gets recordings of all of the potential voice actors.

From that group of voice actors, they choose a list of their top X picks for each character, and send it to Nomura.

Nomura decides which ones he likes best from that list.

...though I wouldn't be surprised if Leonard Nimoy and Mark Hamill were specifically requested by him, because he thought it'd be fun.

Theart

Awards
From what it sounded like in Nomura's blog post, it kind of happened the other way around.

S-E US makes a casting call, and gets recordings of all of the potential voice actors.

From that group of voice actors, they choose a list of their top X picks for each character, and send it to Nomura.

Nomura decides which ones he likes best from that list.

...though I wouldn't be surprised if Leonard Nimoy and Mark Hamill were specifically requested by him, because he thought it'd be fun.

Ah. Makes sense. ^_^ That being said, I DO recall reading somewhere that Nomura hand-picked Mark Hamill as Eraqus (dunno about Leonard Nimoy as MX though)

Either way, the point of it being foolish (financially) to turn down a job offer still stands. xD

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
Really? Terra had a terrible VA. It was like watching Twilight all over again. Little to no emotions. At least Aqua's VA tried.

i feel the exact opposite i loved Terra's VA he really made me feel Terra's strong iron will & composure, Willa Holand on the other hand was the one who didnt try!

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
mypage.na.square-enix.com
Really? Terra had a terrible VA. It was like watching Twilight all over again. Little to no emotions. At least Aqua's VA tried.

I have to disagree. Terra's VA was flat at the beginning, I will be the first to admit it, but he got better. Willa Holland didn't improve that much at all, IMHO. I know it's both of their first time VAing (Epcar didn't really even get the hang of Xehanort until after a couple games...and he's been in the business for a while), and I'm assuming they'll be returning for KHIII, so we'll just have to wait and see how they improve. Very, very rarely are voice actors "OMG-SO-AMAZING" from the get-go.

Allister Rose

French Lover
I have to disagree. Terra's VA was flat at the beginning, I will be the first to admit it, but he got better. Willa Holland didn't improve that much at all, IMHO. I know it's both of their first time VAing (Epcar didn't really even get the hang of Xehanort until after a couple games...and he's been in the business for a while), and I'm assuming they'll be returning for KHIII, so we'll just have to wait and see how they improve. Very, very rarely are voice actors "OMG-SO-AMAZING" from the get-go.

Difference with Terra is that he was close to the original version, only with different voice, unlike aqua.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Ah. Makes sense. ^_^ That being said, I DO recall reading somewhere that Nomura hand-picked Mark Hamill as Eraqus (dunno about Leonard Nimoy as MX though)

Either way, the point of it being foolish (financially) to turn down a job offer still stands. xD

I'm pretty sure Nomura chose Nimoy. In one interview he was talking about how happy he was that they got Nimoy on board, so it probably means he requested for him.

Difference with Terra is that he was close to the original version, only with different voice, unlike aqua.

Aqua was close enough to the Japanese voice. If they had gone with the same voice range as the Japanese voice, you would have had a very young sounding Aqua. Considering Japanese voices have a different pitch range than American voices, Willa Holland's range was a good choice for Aqua.

I don't understand letting a character's voice dictate how much you like a character. Aqua is the most developed female character we have gotten so far. She also isn't perfect, slowly learning that the Light isn't the only right and that Darkness is just as much a part of everything as Light is. She can't just run in and destroy everything that feels dark. Darnkess and Light being Evil and Good isn't that clean cut. Terra had Darkness in him, but he wasn't evil. Nor was he trying to use his Darkness for anything bad, despite the stumbles he made along the line due to his innocence and naivety.

Last edited:

Allister Rose

French Lover
why don't you reread that comment a little more carefullly.

i say terra's acting was close to the japanese, but the vice was different, unlike aqua. aqua's more opposite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back