• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

did anybody else... hate Aqua?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
I kinda can't take it as behind Terra's back when he couldn't fully well said what he thought to Terra's face. If the master is worried about his pupil straying, he can't quite say it to him. He always thought of Terra as a son and like any father, he tries to look after him while he doesn't know it. He believed it was best for Terra. All of his intentions were pure and good. And having Aqua look after him was a good move since they were friends. Its like suspecting your son of doing drugs but you don't want to confront him on it so you ask his friends to make sure he is ok.

Again, I don't really think it is spying if Aqua fully presents herself to Terra when they do meet and them never meeting at all. Practically at every world, Aqua is the last to come and Terra isn't there. She only comes to a world where Terra has already left. So, why is it considered spying if she can't even keep up? I blame it as faulty writing here. There is nothing in the game that constitutes as spying.

Aqua doesn't think she is doing anything wrong. So, why should she act like she was? She didn't expect her friends to be hurt by this, for sure. I can't blame her for being hurt just the same. She thought she was doing good too. If it is justified saying that Terra didn't know, the same can be said for Aqua.

Ven is a tricky case. Being young and naive, he is easily pushed by his emotions. It becomes clear that Ven valued Terra above Aqua during Radiant Garden. He doesn't try to defend/understand Aqua's case. He flat out blames her and is disappointed. Its childish, but yeah. He is just a kid. Still, obvious whose his best friend.

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
The response to my comments on Aqua was very overwelming thus i decided to comment on the one post i thought most clearly neede

- She's a teacher's pet, especially after gaining the title of Master, and sometimes puts that BEFORE her OWN FRIENDS. The fact that she's changed in a negative way is even something HER OWN FRIEND remarked on. Considering how huge a deal friendship is in the series, that's a BIG ass flaw for a main character, because it goes against one of the main elements of the games.

the way i see it is this It was Terra & Ven who were in the wrong, Aqua was doing what her master told her & eraqus was right look what happened to the trio, its Terra & Ven who are flawed her not Aqua!

- Her saving Terra at the end, thus dooming herself, while selfless, was also not a completely thought out plan, considering the whole Terra/Xehanort thing that Aqua even knew about. It's because of her that Xehanort the apprentice came about screwed up everyone's lives in KH1 and forward. Granted, this could be seen as a situational flaw, and thus not a flaw against her own character. However, it was a situation she had control over, which DOES go against her character.

You screwed yourself here it was a selfless flaw & as you said their was no way Aqua could have known of the ramifications of realising Terranort from the darkness. Invalid point is invalid, & as you said befor i see this more as a situational flaw

- She can be rather blinded, whether it's blinded because of her duties and/or title, or blinded by her love for her friends. This can cause her to fail to see the bad in one thing, but focus on the bad of the other instead of looking at both sides in a fair manner.

Aqua is only blinded by her love of her friends (which is displayed when she realises Terrahnort) never by her duties or titles. Aquas duties & title as keyblade master is what keeps her on the straight & narrow. Because of her title Aqua has to act professionally & always do the right thing as a keyblade master & follow Eraquses requests as his former pupil, as long as she was doing what Eraqus told her nothing went wrong shit didnt really hit the fan for her until she tried to save Terranort. Her only flaw was loving her friends to much, (the same flaw Xion had when attacking Roxas she had to do it so he would stop her because it was the right thing to do. Aqua fought Terranort and released him from RoD because she thought it was the right thing to do)

It's hard to shove a ton of flaws into all three characters, considering how short each scenario was. But these were three of the main flaws of Aqua's character that we saw.

lol really only one now huh?

This is especially damning considering he also didn't see the majority of Xion's actual character, and thus cannot make a full and fair judgment of the two, since he only has partial information.

dont worry sweatheart this is one game i have finished!

to rap things up Aqua has hardly any flaws except the blind love of her friends which is an endering flaw often seen in the Mary sue archetype!

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
to rap things up Aqua has hardly any flaws except the blind love of her friends which is an endering flaw often seen in the Mary sue archetype!

How did you read Reika's entire post and still think Aqua has no flaws?

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
did you not read my post i just disproved everything she said?!

Here's the little thing; you didn't. =/ You really don't seem to comprehend this all. Either you're refusing to accept it, or you just don't get this at all. Sorry, but that's just the impression I'm getting.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
obviously you didnt read my post, its called an opinion evrryone's got one & is entitled to it!

It's called "you twisting her words around to mean something completely different."

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
Flaws aren't bad. Flaws make the character. Sure, Aqua takes her role very seriously. That doesn't make her less of a character. It makes her more realistic. That is a writer's goal for characters.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
Flaws aren't bad. Flaws make the character.

I agree. It allows some depth to the character, instead of being unrealistically perfect or happy like Sora is. I don't even think we have seen any flaws with Sora -.-

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
Flaws aren't bad. Flaws make the character. Sure, Aqua takes her role very seriously. That doesn't make her less of a character. It makes her more realistic. That is a writer's goal for characters.

Exactly! ^_^ As an aspiring writer/critic/voice actor (though that last bit has little to do with this), I found Aqua to be a great character in this series, personally. ^_^

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards
I agree. It allows some depth to the character, instead of being unrealistically perfect or happy like Sora is. I don't even think we have seen any flaws with Sora -.-

Off the top of my head -- naivety.

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards

its just too bad Aqua dosnt have any (yes ima glutton for punishment)

Reika

"Together... always."
Awards
Website
blayzes.deviantart.com
I kinda can't take it as behind Terra's back when he couldn't fully well said what he thought to Terra's face. If the master is worried about his pupil straying, he can't quite say it to him. He always thought of Terra as a son and like any father, he tries to look after him while he doesn't know it. He believed it was best for Terra. All of his intentions were pure and good. And having Aqua look after him was a good move since they were friends.

...didn't Eraqus pretty much say this to Terra's face when assigning them their missions? About how Terra obviously can't control the darkness, and Eraqus keeps the Master title from him because he can't completely trust him? Tacking on, "I want Aqua to monitor your progress and report back to me. If her report is kind, you may receive your lost Master title" would have done the job without making it seem like she's spying, but merely helping him on his way to being a Master. It was possible.

Its like suspecting your son of doing drugs but you don't want to confront him on it so you ask his friends to make sure he is ok.

Except that Eraqus already confronted him about it. Multiple times.

Again, I don't really think it is spying if Aqua fully presents herself to Terra when they do meet and them never meeting at all. Practically at every world, Aqua is the last to come and Terra isn't there. She only comes to a world where Terra has already left. So, why is it considered spying if she can't even keep up? I blame it as faulty writing here. There is nothing in the game that constitutes as spying.

Still, she does take into account what she sees and hears and lets it affect her judgment of him at times. Actually, her judgment of him seems to be easily swayed depending on what she hears he did in the worlds she visits. If it's positive, she has faith in him. If it's negative, she loses faith and wants to continue her duties.

But, that's getting off the subject. Sorry, mindless observation.

It's not so much that she's spying on him, but rather what he's done, and making judgments based on them, with the intention of reporting it all back to Eraqus. It's pretty much the same thing.

Aqua doesn't think she is doing anything wrong. So, why should she act like she was? She didn't expect her friends to be hurt by this, for sure. I can't blame her for being hurt just the same. She thought she was doing good too. If it is justified saying that Terra didn't know, the same can be said for Aqua.

Wouldn't it be common sense that a friend would get pissed if he found out he was being spied on by his own best friend? It's kind of obvious, isn't it? And, of course, knowing Ven idolizes Terra would be knowing he wouldn't be happy by this bit of information either.
Besides, what kind of friend would be perfectly okay with spying on her own best friend? Good intentions or not, isn't that a betrayal of trust?

Ven is a tricky case. Being young and naive, he is easily pushed by his emotions. It becomes clear that Ven valued Terra above Aqua during Radiant Garden. He doesn't try to defend/understand Aqua's case. He flat out blames her and is disappointed. Its childish, but yeah. He is just a kid. Still, obvious whose his best friend.

Actually, Ven valuing Terra is obvious in the beginning of Ven's story; his reactions to Vanitas' words, and the flashbacks he has being mostly about Terra with a dash of Aqua here and there, make it pretty clear that, although he cares for Aqua, he prefers Terra, much like a son prefers his father or a daughter prefers her mother.
But yeah, that's why I can understand his side. He is still just a kid, he preferred Terra, and even if he didn't prefer Terra, he'd probably take the accused's side over the accuser's.

the way i see it is this It was Terra & Ven who were in the wrong, Aqua was doing what her master told her & eraqus was right look what happened to the trio, its Terra & Ven who are flawed her not Aqua!

Aqua went about it the wrong way, though. Do you really hear her line, "And what's this dangerous plan, Terra? It doesn't sound like what the Master told you to do." and think it sounds like an okay thing to say, especially to your best friend? Remember her tone? It sounded like a kid who just caught their classmate trying to lie about a rule they broke.

For simplicity's sake, I'll just repost what I posted two posts ago (no point in retyping it all again):
First, Eraqus tells Aqua these orders behind Terra's back. Terra wasn't aware he was even doing anything THAT wrong, so finding this bit of information would have been a huge blow, especially coming from the mouth of one of his best friends.
Secondly, his first meeting with both of his best friends (save for that short conversation with Aqua 3 worlds ago) was to find out one of his best friends had been ordered to spy on him by his practically father figure, and she was perfectly okay in doing so. True, she had good intentions. But hearing that she spied at all would have been tough to take; I'd be pissed, too, especially as, like I said, he didn't know he was even doing anything wrong.
And lastly, Aqua all but denied that she truly was spying on him. When Terra came up with the accusation, she didn't try to deny it, she tried to justify it. It's pretty much the equivalent of, "Yeah, I was spying on you, but this is why". That wouldn't have sounded very good, either, finding out his best friend was spying on him.

As for Ventus, I do agree that he overreacted. At the same time, I can also see and understand why he would. His brother/father figure is being accused of some pretty awful stuff by his own sister/mother figure. He's trusted them both so much and never had any reason to distrust them. All of this coming to light out of the blue must have been pretty hard for him to take in, especially at that age. And since Aqua was the accuser, with Terra being the accused, Terra looks more like the victim here, while Aqua looks like she stabbed them in the back. Add that to him being closer to Terra than Aqua, and it's pretty obvious why he would act that way. Yes, we may disagree, but we're also third parties and can understand the situation a lot better than all three of them, because we can see everything in a much larger perspective while they can't. We can't expect them to understand the situations like we do, because they aren't presented with what we're presented with; they don't have that information.

You screwed yourself here it was a selfless flaw & as you said their was no way Aqua could have known of the ramifications of realising Terranort from the darkness. Invalid point is invalid, & as you said befor i see this more as a situational flaw

Actually no. She knew Xehanort had taken over Terra's body. That was one thing she DID know, so she should have known the bad things that could happen if he was kept alive with nobody to stop him. She wouldn't know that he'd lose his memories, and considering that everyone who would try to stop Xehanort (herself, Ventus, and Eraqus) were out of commission (in Aqua's case, she knew she would be out of commission if she saved Terranort), that means that Xehanort would be loose with a possessed body and nobodyto stop him. It would have been more selfless of her to NOT save him, and keep the obvious disaster from happening, considering how it'd affect EVERYONE in every single world, including the ones she's met and become friends with. She would have know ALL of this, would have known saving Terranort could mean certain doom towards a ton of people, and decided that ONE person was more important that hundreds of others. Tell me how that's NOT a flaw.

Aqua is only blinded by her love of her friends (which is displayed when she realises Terrahnort) never by her duties or titles. Aquas duties & title as keyblade master is what keeps her on the straight & narrow. Because of her title Aqua has to act professionally & always do the right thing as a keyblade master & follow Eraquses requests as his former pupil, as long as she was doing what Eraqus told her nothing went wrong shit didnt really hit the fan for her until she tried to save Terranort. Her only flaw was loving her friends to much, (the same flaw Xion had when attacking Roxas she had to do it so he would stop her because it was the right thing to do. Aqua fought Terranort and released him from RoD because she thought it was the right thing to do)

She is blinded by her duties at times. How soon we forget how she spoke to Terra in Radiant Garden. How she carried out her duties without having full knowledge of why. How she was willing to spy on Terra (as I said before, she never denied it, and tried to justify it instead) because it was her duty, instead of taking a more friendly approach.
Yes, as a Master, she does need to follow orders. However, the main theme of KH is friendship, so when orders and friendship collide, friendship pretty much needs to come first. A good example would be your own favorite, Xion; as an Organization member, it was her duty to follow orders. She went against them for the sake of friendship. If you find this commendable, why would you not see Aqua's opposite actions as a flaw?

lol really only one now huh?

NOPE! 8D

dont worry sweatheart this is one game i have finished!

Wow, you finished the game and still ignore the parts of it that prove your point wrong? How sad. :c

And it is also a constant theme in the series; anyone who DOESN'T have that kind of flaw is usually a bad guy. So all the good guys, like Xion, are Sues because they have that flaw? c:

I agree with this completely. I prefer characters have flaws, and I tend to appreciate them more when they do. It makes them much more human, and easy to relate to. You can understand their side more easily, because you may share flaws with that character, or know someone who does. It makes the character more enjoyable.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
Why do you have to respond so longly Reika D:

As I recall, Eraqus said he couldn't hold it during that time. Which is true. We see the darkness in Terra. So, he isn't wrong. This is more like a warning to watch it. Its kinda like how Anakin wasn't given the master title because they could sense the darkness in him. If you are going to be Master, you kinda have to be able to control the darkness, which Terra couldn't. So it is more of a "why you failed" thing I suppose. Now, to tack on "your better is gonna watch you" is rubbing salt into the wounds. It was probably the better idea to Eraqus at the time. Or, hell, maybe a spur of the moment after Terra left. BBS didn't have enough time to dive into the story that much.

Well, yeah. Why wouldn't it? Aqua hears something about her friends so she pays attention. Sure, not all the times it isn't good. But its rather ridiculous for Aqua to have blind faith. If you hear some bad things about your friend, there will be some doubt embedded into your heart. I think that is the point of Aqua's story. All these things Terra does makes that doubt larger and larger. Actually, as I recall, she isn't supposed to report back to Eraqus to tell him of his progress. If that was true, we would be going back home a lot more. Aqua is only supposed to return if Terra does fall to the darkness. Then she is supposed to bring him back home. There is never a point where she is tattling on him.

And again, I'll fight that Aqua isn't spying and the writer didn't find the correct word.

Eh, maybe. But isn't the point of them going was because of Eraqus? So Aqua would be suspicious if Terra decides to not do what Eraqus said when he is trying to show Eraqus he is conquering the darkness. Aqua doesn't even know what that is and all the doubt implanted in her bursts. Aqua does what she does for her friends. She is constantly looking out for them. She believes what she is doing is right. I cannot blame her for that. She cannot be hated for doing what she thinks is right.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
I don't even think we have seen any flaws with Sora -.-

Well in COM, he got to a point where he let the false memory get the better of him that he starts fighting over Riku Replica as well as ignorant Donald and Goofy's warnings and instead abandons them.

I think COM is the only KH game that actually gives Sora more of a character to be honest. KH1 and KH2 was pretty much "I can't do any wrong!"

Ikkin

Bronze Member
KH1 and KH2 was pretty much "I can't do any wrong!"

KH2 Sora was really aggressive, though, and tended to jump to violent conclusions pretty quickly (see: Demyx and Timeless River!Pete). He was also pretty... well, I wouldn't say arrogant, exactly, but he does make it pretty clear just how little he thinks of the bad guys ("Maleficent? She's toast!" "We miiiiight have had something to do with it...").

Ulti and Reika: I don't even know which side you two are on anymore. XD; I think Reika's trying to argue that Aqua's way of dealing with the situation with Eraqus and Terra should be considered a worthwhile character flaw... but Ulti just seems to be trying to defend Aqua's honor by justifying her actions...?

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
No, I know Aqua's flaw is her unrelenting love to her duties. She put it very high, but I was saying that is not enough to hate Aqua, as is the topic. Aqua's intentions were pure. Possibly not the best way to handle it, if there is even a correct way to handle this.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
KH2 Sora was really aggressive, though, and tended to jump to violent conclusions pretty quickly (see: Demyx and Timeless River!Pete). He was also pretty... well, I wouldn't say arrogant, exactly, but he does make it pretty clear just how little he thinks of the bad guys ("Maleficent? She's toast!" "We miiiiight have had something to do with it...").

That is true. So correction: KH1 Sora was pretty much "I can't do any wrong!" (except for doing something stupid like committing suicide)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back