• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Defining Intelligence

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
I say: it's the ability to attain knowledge.

hm...you could consider it as attaining knowledge and applying it. I don't think either would be wrong. For Example: When man created fire they realized they could use it to cook food, in between that process we'd have to figure that man burned him/herself, and discovered fire as a source of heat. In this case Man attained the knowledge of possessing fire and it's heat, and applied his/her knowledge to use it to cook.

frisson

Silver Member
Yeah it is both, I'm just being an argumentative 'tard. Anyway, I should go to bed.

Taokitty

A Chagrined Fool.
Awards
People's Fragile Dreams, Relinquished from Anixiet
Intelligence varies person to person.
As we know, there is the standard system of intelligence that branches into many different categories; some may be intelligent when it comes to social gatherings, some may have prowess or skill in reading, others may be physically attuned to their body, etc.

Generally, the person we seem to view as being,"Smart,"is generally the more literate people, those who we consider knowledgeable and thus we believe we can learn a quantitative amount of information. These "Smart" people may be considered so potentially because of their good grades, because people have not branched into the information they have gathered, etc. However, they should realize they can just be as intelligent.

I believe intelligence in the way it is usually viewed is merely the branching off more into the logical side of things, looking past the simple, plaintive skin we see with out eyes and realizing relationships between different things. Realizing there is something bigger than us and that there is knowledge we can obtain that may not bend with our view, being aware that something could be deadly even if we feel we are "fine" or knowing something or discovering something that is passed our being "I". We seek knowledge first, then develop our view to wrap around it, even if it is not always the case.

Intelligence should be emotionless, or not based so strongly on emotion but more so on facts and good deductible logic.

In the broadest sense, I believe intelligence is merely becoming conscious of something, of some action, thing, object (whether it is our body, or why a force acts a certain way, or logically deducing why something is) that begins with curiosity or a question. True, not all curious people may be considered "intelligent", however they will collect knowledge and store in inside.

It all depends if the person is prone to making the conversation emotionally stimulating or intellectually stimulating.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
To me intelligence is the capability to absorb, infer, and gain knowledge, being to able use that knowledge to come to logical, coherent, true conclusions, and applying this all to life.

A person can be informed about a certain subject but it doesn't mean they're intelligent, especially if they're not able to come to conclusions based on those facts that are consistent with reality. If you've ever read a Sherlock Holmes story you'll hopefully understand what I'm driving at. The police almost always sees everything Holmes sees and have a complete knowledge of all the crime's facts, but they're never able to infer much from them at all; often this is because they lack his expertise and broad knowledge of various disciplines (which are something a normal person might very well be capable of having with enough dedication), but a lot of it has to do with the fact that they're just not as smart as he is. Whenever Holmes explains his deductions to his friend Watson and other interested parties they often seem ridiculously simple, when at first his powers of deduction completely mystify them. As he so put it: "Ah yes; you see, but you do not observe". Holmes is perceptive and is able to string together clues in a coherent fashion in order to discover the truth, making him intelligent.

chasespicer056

Empathy is Divine
I believe that intelligence and knowledge ARE NOT one in the same.

Intelligence is defined by how well you approach a given situation as well as how well you understand that situation. A person could be very knowledgeable: he could know every fact about chemistry, history, and mathematics. However, that man could also poorly approach certain situations.

I'll try to give an example explaining what I mean:

A young boy named Robert is a common know-it-all. He knows everything that there is to know about biology. One day, Robert goes on the KH forums. He sees a comment he doesn't like, and flames the person who wrote it. The user he flamed gives Robert negative rep. He then proceeded to flame more users, and was banned. He unintelligently approached the situations.

Alex, a young boy who is a C-student and has only general knowledge, goes on to the KH forums. He sees a comment that he disagrees with, and politely argues against it. He is actually given positive rep for making a good point.

Now this isn't always the case. Sometimes people give you negative rep for no reason. This was just a basic example that shows the difference in intelligence and knowledge.

Wonderglow

I did an essay on this and it got me like an A++++++.....
Basically I think it's how fast your brain works, because that then leads to most people's descriptions of a smart person. You can make a little knowledge go a long way and you learn and process things way more efficiently. With a more time to think, "smart" people can come up with ideas and solutions that others wouldn't think of. So that's- book smarts, quick thinking, good choices, and creativity in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back