• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Could Ven be a Darkness?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Changer

Alright, this is my first thread so please forgive me if there is some subtle nuance of thread making that I happen to miss this time.

So after playing 3D again and listening to YX list the other candidates to be the 13th Darkness, I realized that since they would have already tried both Sora and Roxas (Xion too, not that he would remember), the next logical choice would be Ventus, especially since he's pretty much already in the sleep that they wanted Sora put in. This would also explain why Xemnas was looking for Ven in 358 Days, because he thought he would make a good Darkness, and the Org. was already going to need new recruits at the at the time.

So in KH3 might they end up succeeding in turning Ven into a Darkness? Of course they would have to find him first, but I could see Xehanort allowing Riku and Mickey to find Aqua, just so that she could later lead him to Ven.

Now if this was true, then Roxas would probably end up having to take Ven's spot as a light.

So thoughts? Is this likely, or am I just fooling myself? Would anyone like to see Roxas take Ven's place as a light, maybe have the two fight at some point?

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Ven's heart was pure light when it was separated from Vanitas. Until we truly see Vanitas again in the realm of light, it's safe to assume Ven can be subjected to darkness now.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Xehanort wouldn't want Ven, the very reason he opted to use Ven for the xblade in BBS and shift to Terra for a host is because he views Vens body as to weak.
Plus given ven's pure heart of light I may be harder for him to turn into a nort or even be turned at all.

billyzanesucks

Xehanort wouldn't want Ven, the very reason he opted to use Ven for the xblade in BBS and shift to Terra for a host is because he views Vens body as to weak.
I think it was mainly because Ven refused to fight and use the darkness. If Xehanort had full dominion over his body, it might not be an issue.
Plus given ven's pure heart of light I may be harder for him to turn into a nort or even be turned at all.
I think OP meant that Xehanort would transform Ven before he got his heart back.

Fortissimo

I'm assuming that Vanitas is going to end up being one of the darknesses somehow... So in a way, a part of Ven is a darkness. I doubt he will be one.

billyzanesucks said:
I think OP meant that Xehanort would transform Ven before he got his heart back.

If he can find him. But why take Ven when he can have Vanitas? Less of a fight and less effort to take him instead. The only reason I could see him even wanting Ven again is if Vanitas wants to absorb his power for himself in the event that he returns (and he probably will).

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Would that mean that Xehanort couldn't supress it?

Exactly that.

Ven's heart was pure light when it was separated from Vanitas. Until we truly see Vanitas again in the realm of light, it's safe to assume Ven can be subjected to darkness now.

Eh? The one has nothing to do with the other. We don't know what Vanitas' current status is (except that his consciousness/heart) somehow survived. Ventus rejected his darkness in the final battle of BBS and fought to destroy the X-blade and Vanitas, which he made explicitly clear before their fight started.

In order for Xehanort to turn Ven into a darkness he would have to go to as extreme lengths as he did with Sora, with the difference that beside Ven having a heart of pure light he also already knows how to resist darkness and isn't as vulnerable to it as Sora was in DDD.

True as well, Xehanort sees Ventus as unfit for a vessel, just like they see Riku now unfit as a vessel.

I think it was mainly because Ven refused to fight and use the darkness. If Xehanort had full dominion over his body, it might not be an issue.

Shooting a heart piece at a body without a heart isn't the only thing they need to do in order to create a Nort. If that would be the case they could have done that already the various times Xion or Roxas fell comatose during the course of Days.

As evidenced by both Braig and Isa, Xehanortification isn't an instant transformation and needs time, even Sora had still his own heart inside his body, only drenched in darkness and asleep.
Vanitas also tried to possess Ven in BBS and it was only half-successful as Ven still not only resisted internally, but also soundly defeated him in the end. If he can defeat a fully powered Vanitas with a proto-X-blade, he can also defend against an invading piece of Xehanort which surely doesn't have the power of the full package.

Plus, at the end of DDD it has been shown that Ventus' heart, despite being in Sora, has still some hold on its body as he smiled in the Chamber of Waking when he felt Sora's happiness at being reunited with the Dream Eaters.

Changer

Ok so I've been listening to some of the arguments against, and a lot of them have some pretty good points.
However, if Ven was never seen as a candidate, then why was Xemnas so concerned with finding him in days? Was he just worried that Ven could become a problem if he ever did wake up, or does he have some other plan in mind for Ven besides becoming a vessel?

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Ok so I've been listening to some of the arguments against, and a lot of them have some pretty good points.
However, if Ven was never seen as a candidate, then why was Xemnas so concerned with finding him in days? Was he just worried that Ven could become a problem if he ever did wake up, or does he have some other plan in mind for Ven besides becoming a vessel?

It's never been clearly established why Xemnas was looking for Ven so we're left with speculation and educated guesses. Perhaps Ven was recognized as a potential GoL and since he's needed to help complete the X-Blade Xemnas wanted to find/revive him to help their plans in the long run. Maybe a part of Terra resonates within Xemnas strong enough that it's really Terra that urges to find Ven. Vanitas's location is still a mystery so maybe after his defeat some part of him lingered in Ven and Xemnas wants to get to Ven to get to Vanitas to use as a vessel. As a perk (that doesn't directly relate to Ven per se) is that the Chamber of Waking also conceals LoD's/CO's Keyhole so finding Ven means finding the CoW means finding the Key Hole and Xemnas wants to finish what MX started-destroying LoD/CO. Maybe he just thought that Ven's clam diggers were cool and wanted to steal them while he was sleeping. It could be anything.

Korai

Awards
Vanitas also tried to possess Ven in BBS and it was only half-successful as Ven still not only resisted internally, but also soundly defeated him in the end. If he can defeat a fully powered Vanitas with a proto-X-blade, he can also defend against an invading piece of Xehanort which surely doesn't have the power of the full package.
not if he doesnt have a heart to fight it with, which he currently doesnt. also he did fight off vanitas, but only at the cost of nearly destroying his own heart and having it expelled from his body.

Last edited:

Seighart

Awards
Without reading other replies first I'll say this: Ven was pure light since his separation from Vanitas. They both had hearts. They FUSED to become whole again, but fought inside his heart. We know the outcome. I'd say Ven is a complete person again, just missing his heart. Seeing as it's now in Sora, who's to say some darkness didn't get into Vens heart? I wouldn't doubt the possibility honestly. Ven could be seeded since its safe to assume Vanitas was. Since they fused, it's possible that darkness could be taking over the heart.

What if Ven, upon being rescued, wakes up revealing he's been norted? I think it could do the story well, considering we finally win the battle against darkness, but at the cost of a loved friend. This also brings back Vens request: To put him down.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Exactly that.

Eh? The one has nothing to do with the other. We don't know what Vanitas' current status is (except that his consciousness/heart) somehow survived. Ventus rejected his darkness in the final battle of BBS and fought to destroy the X-blade and Vanitas, which he made explicitly clear before their fight started.

In order for Xehanort to turn Ven into a darkness he would have to go to as extreme lengths as he did with Sora, with the difference that beside Ven having a heart of pure light he also already knows how to resist darkness and isn't as vulnerable to it as Sora was in
Yeah he would. I'm just saying it's possible; not that it's likely.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Shooting a heart piece at a body without a heart isn't the only thing they need to do in order to create a Nort. If that would be the case they could have done that already the various times Xion or Roxas fell comatose during the course of Days.

As evidenced by both Braig and Isa, Xehanortification isn't an instant transformation and needs time, even Sora had still his own heart inside his body, only drenched in darkness and asleep.

But we don't know what varying circumstances differentiates a person-to-person Xehanortification, so maybe a "heart piece" is all he would need for a vessel like Ven. Xigbar, speaking of the original Organization members, said initially they were going to "round up a bunch of empty husks, hook them up to Kingdom Hearts, and fill them with the exact same heart and mind". Sounds simple enough.

At that time, the events of Days, "Kingdom Hearts" was still being constructed by Roxas and Xion, Xigbar and Isa were already under Xehanort's influence and the other members were pending transformation. Without KH being fully formed, they didn't get to attempt to transform Roxas or Xion specifically, because Roxas became "aware of himself" and thwarted their plans.

So I don't think there is any one way to go about this process. We are talking about Xehanort after all, who thought intensively of different venues to scrounge up the team he already has: his younger self, his Heartless, his Nobody, other crooked people (Braig), people under the influence (Isa), people he possessed (Terra most likely), other people's negativity (Vanitas), I mean, God, Xehanort needs to take a break and go shopping or see a movie. No specific rule follows all of these types of people with very different natures. Some processes could be easier than others. I mean he pretty much just ripped Vanitas out of Ven's body effortlessly, and as far as we know, was the first being to be Xehanortified. His first of 13 Darknesses, easy peasy.

That battle was internal, metaphysical, and yeah, against a broken X-blade, so I wouldn't glorify Ven too much. If Master Xehanort stood before Ventus in the Chamber of Waking and decided to shoot him up with a dose of his heart, I'm not sure who's to stop him, and that's where the urgency in the race to find Ventus comes from. Not saying that's why Xemnas was even looking for the Chamber of Waking, but who knows.

Plus, at the end of DDD it has been shown that Ventus' heart, despite being in Sora, has still some hold on its body as he smiled in the Chamber of Waking when he felt Sora's happiness at being reunited with the Dream Eaters.

But he's seeing through Sora's eyes, not his own. Looks to me he'd be helpless to defend himself as he is now, hence why Aqua took such extreme measures to seal him away.

Without reading other replies first I'll say this: Ven was pure light since his separation from Vanitas. They both had hearts. They FUSED to become whole again, but fought inside his heart. We know the outcome. I'd say Ven is a complete person again, just missing his heart. Seeing as it's now in Sora, who's to say some darkness didn't get into Vens heart? I wouldn't doubt the possibility honestly. Ven could be seeded since its safe to assume Vanitas was. Since they fused, it's possible that darkness could be taking over the heart.

What if Ven, upon being rescued, wakes up revealing he's been norted? I think it could do the story well, considering we finally win the battle against darkness, but at the cost of a loved friend. This also brings back Vens request: To put him down.

It could happen.

Yeah he would. I'm just saying it's possible; not that it's likely.

Meh, it's just as likely as any other whack job scenario, so I wouldn't write it out. ;)

Are we even sure we can call Ven's heart a heart of pure light anymore? It's possibly healing inside Sora and becoming normal again. Also, it was possibly tainted by the darkness inside of Sora.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
not if he doesnt have a heart to fight it with, which he currently doesnt. also he did fight off vanitas, but only at the cost of nearly destroying his own heart and having it expelled from his body.

Nearly destroying his own heart pertained to the proto-X-blade that was in the whole mix. Ven's heart was made a part of the thing against his will so the backlash from destroying it and destroying Vanitas as well caused that catastrophical damage to his heart.

It seems you missed the crucial point that their fusion was never complete. Vanitas stated that their union wasn't finished and wanted to complete it, but Ven rejected exactly that and fought to prevent their fusion from being completed.

Ven always was a complete person without Vanitas once his heart was completely formed again after the four-year gap between the prologue and BBS proper. Heart pieces can grow into their own hearts, we got that information from both BBS and DDD.

Sure, I won't deny the possibility that Ven's heart might have some darkness again, that cannot be completely ruled out, yet considering his record with darkness so far and Xehanort dismissing him as unfit for a vessel I highly doubt that this will be the case.

This won't do the story well but the exact contrary. It would be the worst possible conclusion to Ven's story if after all the horrible things he already got through it ends with him totally lost. Not to mention Sora saving him twice would be totally meaningless because in the end it would not amount to anything, same goes for Aqua's efforts to keep him safe.

But we don't know what varying circumstances differentiates a person-to-person Xehanortification, so maybe a "heart piece" is all he would need for a vessel like Ven. Xigbar, speaking of the original Organization members, said initially they were going to "round up a bunch of empty husks, hook them up to Kingdom Hearts, and fill them with the exact same heart and mind". Sounds simple enough.

At that time, the events of Days, "Kingdom Hearts" was still being constructed by Roxas and Xion, Xigbar and Isa were already under Xehanort's influence and the other members were pending transformation. Without KH being fully formed, they didn't get to attempt to transform Roxas or Xion specifically, because Roxas became "aware of himself" and thwarted their plans.

So I don't think there is any one way to go about this process. We are talking about Xehanort after all, who thought intensively of different venues to scrounge up the team he already has: his younger self, his Heartless, his Nobody, other crooked people (Braig), people under the influence (Isa), people he possessed (Terra most likely), other people's negativity (Vanitas), I mean, God, Xehanort needs to take a break and go shopping or see a movie. No specific rule follows all of these types of people with very different natures. Some processes could be easier than others. I mean he pretty much just ripped Vanitas out of Ven's body effortlessly, and as far as we know, was the first being to be Xehanortified. His first of 13 Darknesses, easy peasy.

Granted, we don't know the exact procedure in all cases due to vagueness, and Sora's case was also highly different in retrospect.
With the original Organisation it's even more suspect since there's the question as to why they would need to "hook them up to Kingdom Hearts" if Isa/Saix was already norted pretty easily without using Xemnas' KH. So why didn't they do the same right away with the others?
Then again, that just the heart piece alone can already take over in an instant seems to be a bit unrealistic, as far as we know each of the Xehanort seeds needs to grow at least a bit before it can take root.

Like said above, the whole needing that artificial KH is somewhat iffy as it seems that it is possible to do it without it. During the very first week when Roxas was a "Zombie" with no developed sense of self (same goes for Xion) it would have been the very best opportunity to plant a seed.
Now that I look at it again, Marluxia out of all people tried to do something similar when he ordered Naminé to erase Sora's memories so he could "build him to something more to his liking" shortly before the Finale of Chain of Memories. He wanted to make Sora into a puppet loyal to him.
Yeah, Roxas became aware and thwarted their plans, yet of Roxas can thwart being norted with just a heart-bud I don't see why Ventus, who is already aware and by now his heart should be nearly healed, should be unable to do the same.

There are almost too many procedures, makes the whole thing iffy to grasp if there are no constants you can pinpoint the whole process around.
It's also somewhat weird that Xehanort can rip his heart in so many pieces without any ill effects to either his main heart or the pieces.
Despite all this though, the point still stands that Xehanort personally dismissed Ventus' body as unfit to being a vessel, there isn't yet any indication that he has changed his view on the matter.

That battle was internal, metaphysical, and yeah, against a broken X-blade, so I wouldn't glorify Ven too much. If Master Xehanort stood before Ventus in the Chamber of Waking and decided to shoot him up with a dose of his heart, I'm not sure who's to stop him, and that's where the urgency in the race to find Ventus comes from. Not saying that's why Xemnas was even looking for the Chamber of Waking, but who knows.

But he's seeing through Sora's eyes, not his own. Looks to me he'd be helpless to defend himself as he is now, hence why Aqua took such extreme measures to seal him away.

Meh, it's just as likely as any other whack job scenario, so I wouldn't write it out. ;)

Are we even sure we can call Ven's heart a heart of pure light anymore? It's possibly healing inside Sora and becoming normal again. Also, it was possibly tainted by the darkness inside of Sora.

It's ot so much glorifying as simply acknowledging that he managed to fend off his possessor, just like Riku did eventually as well.
If we go by the physical world with Xehanort entering the chamber, either Lea might incinerate the heart piece again or Aqua blocks it, easy peasy as well.
Or there is a race, Xehanort shooting his heart piece while Sora shoots Ven's heart back to its body, or heck, maybe Sora himself dives in there and we get an additional boss fight where Ven and Sora have to fight off the Xehanort piece within the awakening. There are many possibilities.
Even the one is possible that Aqua won't lead them to the chamber until they definitely have all tools at hand to immediately put Ven's own heart back to the body, leaving no time window for Xehanort to strike.

From where he sees through is irrelevant. The interesting thing is that he can make his body smile, indicating that his heart has still(or again, if it has to do with how far it is healed) some sort of control over it despite not being present inside it.

Whack job scenario indeed, I also won't say it's completely out of the question, yet there are many uncertainties in that one, the issues with all of Sora's and Aqua's efforts regarding Ven being meaningless then being not the only ones.

Ven's heart also healed during the four year-period between the Prologue of BBS and BBS itself, with it being tightly connected with Aqua's, Terra's and Eraqus' heart. None of them has a heart of pure light and yet Ven's heart didn't take up any darkness during those years.
This last one does have some legit possibility though, especially when we consider the time where Sora stabbed himself in KH 1.

Changer

Nearly destroying his own heart pertained to the proto-X-blade that was in the whole mix. Ven's heart was made a part of the thing against his will so the backlash from destroying it and destroying Vanitas as well caused that catastrophical damage to his heart.

It seems you missed the crucial point that their fusion was never complete. Vanitas stated that their union wasn't finished and wanted to complete it, but Ven rejected exactly that and fought to prevent their fusion from being completed.

Ven always was a complete person without Vanitas once his heart was completely formed again after the four-year gap between the prologue and BBS proper. Heart pieces can grow into their own hearts, we got that information from both BBS and DDD.

Sure, I won't deny the possibility that Ven's heart might have some darkness again, that cannot be completely ruled out, yet considering his record with darkness so far and Xehanort dismissing him as unfit for a vessel I highly doubt that this will be the case.

This won't do the story well but the exact contrary. It would be the worst possible conclusion to Ven's story if after all the horrible things he already got through it ends with him totally lost. Not to mention Sora saving him twice would be totally meaningless because in the end it would not amount to anything, same goes for Aqua's efforts to keep him safe.

Granted, we don't know the exact procedure in all cases due to vagueness, and Sora's case was also highly different in retrospect.
With the original Organisation it's even more suspect since there's the question as to why they would need to "hook them up to Kingdom Hearts" if Isa/Saix was already norted pretty easily without using Xemnas' KH. So why didn't they do the same right away with the others?
Then again, that just the heart piece alone can already take over in an instant seems to be a bit unrealistic, as far as we know each of the Xehanort seeds needs to grow at least a bit before it can take root.

Like said above, the whole needing that artificial KH is somewhat iffy as it seems that it is possible to do it without it. During the very first week when Roxas was a "Zombie" with no developed sense of self (same goes for Xion) it would have been the very best opportunity to plant a seed.
Now that I look at it again, Marluxia out of all people tried to do something similar when he ordered Naminé to erase Sora's memories so he could "build him to something more to his liking" shortly before the Finale of Chain of Memories. He wanted to make Sora into a puppet loyal to him.
Yeah, Roxas became aware and thwarted their plans, yet of Roxas can thwart being norted with just a heart-bud I don't see why Ventus, who is already aware and by now his heart should be nearly healed, should be unable to do the same.

There are almost too many procedures, makes the whole thing iffy to grasp if there are no constants you can pinpoint the whole process around.
It's also somewhat weird that Xehanort can rip his heart in so many pieces without any ill effects to either his main heart or the pieces.
Despite all this though, the point still stands that Xehanort personally dismissed Ventus' body as unfit to being a vessel, there isn't yet any indication that he has changed his view on the matter.

It's ot so much glorifying as simply acknowledging that he managed to fend off his possessor, just like Riku did eventually as well.
If we go by the physical world with Xehanort entering the chamber, either Lea might incinerate the heart piece again or Aqua blocks it, easy peasy as well.
Or there is a race, Xehanort shooting his heart piece while Sora shoots Ven's heart back to its body, or heck, maybe Sora himself dives in there and we get an additional boss fight where Ven and Sora have to fight off the Xehanort piece within the awakening. There are many possibilities.
Even the one is possible that Aqua won't lead them to the chamber until they definitely have all tools at hand to immediately put Ven's own heart back to the body, leaving no time window for Xehanort to strike.

From where he sees through is irrelevant. The interesting thing is that he can make his body smile, indicating that his heart has still(or again, if it has to do with how far it is healed) some sort of control over it despite not being present inside it.

Whack job scenario indeed, I also won't say it's completely out of the question, yet there are many uncertainties in that one, the issues with all of Sora's and Aqua's efforts regarding Ven being meaningless then being not the only ones.

Ven's heart also healed during the four year-period between the Prologue of BBS and BBS itself, with it being tightly connected with Aqua's, Terra's and Eraqus' heart. None of them has a heart of pure light and yet Ven's heart didn't take up any darkness during those years.
This last one does have some legit possibility though, especially when we consider the time where Sora stabbed himself in KH 1.
I like your idea about their being a sort of race to save Ven from Xehanort. They could make both Sora and Xehanort enter Ven's Heart at the same time, Sora to wake it up, and Xehanort to seed it. Sora could locate Ven first, and Xehanort might find some remnant of Vanitas, and decide to just cut his losses and try and bring him out instead. After a boss battle or two of course.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

For sheer speculation in Isa's case, I can imagine the hypothetical: Because he wanted to garner the respect of Xemnas (for his own agenda) and earn second-in-command, Xemnas responded by putting a fraction of his own regrown heart into Isa. Either time-traveling Young Xehanort could have operated this or perhaps Xemnas used a keyblade here. So much ambiguity about these processes leaves one guessing.

We don't really know that though. Braig was Xehanorted at the end of BBS, but how long before the Keyblade Graveyard showdown? Even after the matter, if a portion of Xehanort's heart went into Braig, then it wasn't completely whole (unless it had completely healed) when he possessed Terra, and even though Terra's whole heart was in there, along with Eraqus's presumably, in almost no time flat, Xehanort had complete control. Then there's the case of Vanitas, who seems to be Xehanorted at birth. I'm only using all of these examples to illustrate there's not really one specific timeline for his "heart peices" (if they're even used in the process - i.e. Vanitas?) to start their dirty work.

It does seem like there is some middle ground that needed to be found with their "puppets" - that through all of these trials they were never able to achieve. It could be they wanted to wait to craft Roxas into a vessel with strength of body, will and trust to Xemnas (much like Braig and Isa) before depositing a piece of Xehanort.

Ventus doesn't have his heart back. He's not conscious. How is he going to defend himself? Harboring his heart inside of Sora just leaves him alive. We don't even know how he'll act should he get his heart back. Remember how slow and fragile he was to recoup when he was sent to Land of Departure? Xehanort could take advantage of his crippled state even if he wakes up.

Agreed, but maybe his heart heals back up each time he cuts out a sliver for his Organization, and maybe we can hope for some instability in the case of the heart pieces for Terra and Isa to shake free.

Ven didn't give into the darkness at the Keyblade Graveyard, but he still found use for him to try to forge the X-blade, one of his machinations to which he even admits to acting rashly. His plans have diversified much more since then, and Xemnas is obviously trying to find the Chamber of Waking/perhaps Ventus for a reason. They haven't been able to select prime cuts as far as the 13th vessel goes. First it was Riku, then Roxas, then Sora - Ventus might be looking good to Master Xehanort right about now, however unfit he may have initially seemed.

My point was that Ven was physically stable enough by then to fend off Vanitas. He is not stable enough to do that right now. (And yes, any and all of those possibilities could happen.)

Only it is relevant to what I'm trying to say. I didn't view Ventus's smile as a sign he's getting ready to wake up and kick butt. That smile seemed more like an involuntary action, much like breathing. It takes voluntary effort not to smile with a bunch of warm fuzzy Dream Eaters surrounding you. Try not laughing at your favorite comedian; this is what I mean. It takes way more damanding, physical effort to fight and defend yourself and almost none on the instinctual side of laughing at something that's funny.

So you don't think we can save any of the Darknesses? What hope do you have for Terra and Isa then?

The darkness I was referring to could be either Sora or Xehanorts, but his heart is stationed within Sora now rather than himself. His heart which turned into or produced his armor (?) was able to be corrupted/animated by darkness, so why should his now heartless body be less vulnerable?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I like your idea about their being a sort of race to save Ven from Xehanort. They could make both Sora and Xehanort enter Ven's Heart at the same time, Sora to wake it up, and Xehanort to seed it. Sora could locate Ven first, and Xehanort might find some remnant of Vanitas, and decide to just cut his losses and try and bring him out instead. After a boss battle or two of course.

I'd say the race would rather be as to who controls Ven's body, as in waking up Ven's heart Sora has a head start since it's inside him.

Well, we do not know if Vanitas is really inside Ven's heart, so there might be nothing for Xehanort to bring out.

For sheer speculation in Isa's case, I can imagine the hypothetical: Because he wanted to garner the respect of Xemnas (for his own agenda) and earn second-in-command, Xemnas responded by putting a fraction of his own regrown heart into Isa. Either time-traveling Young Xehanort could have operated this or perhaps Xemnas used a keyblade here. So much ambiguity about these processes leaves one guessing.

Yes, it leaves one guessing, but not only in the case of how it was done but also in how it works. If we go by the premise that Isa/saix had indeed still his own agenda (and he wasn't just putting on a show to mislead Lea) this indicates that despite being Norted Xehanort had initially no control about Isa/Saix despite the yellow eyes and pointy ears as he could clearly still follow his own ambitions.

This leads to the question how long it takes for a Xehanort seed to take over and what the exactly necessary prerequisites are for it to do so.

We don't really know that though. Braig was Xehanorted at the end of BBS, but how long before the Keyblade Graveyard showdown? Even after the matter, if a portion of Xehanort's heart went into Braig, then it wasn't completely whole (unless it had completely healed) when he possessed Terra, and even though Terra's whole heart was in there, along with Eraqus's presumably, in almost no time flat, Xehanort had complete control. Then there's the case of Vanitas, who seems to be Xehanorted at birth. I'm only using all of these examples to illustrate there's not really one specific timeline for his "heart peices" (if they're even used in the process - i.e. Vanitas?) to start their dirty work.

Braig is always a special case anyways because he did all this willingly and on his own accord. Terra never did, Isa is not really known how much was voluntary or not and when taking in Ven as a hypothetical case he would also never go along with it willingly.

Going back to Terra's case, don't forget that Xehanort spent the whole game of BBS to condition Terra's heart so he could take over in the end, just like with Sora in DDD. Going by that, Xehanort needs much more effort to get to control someone who is opposed to him and he needs to go great lengths for it.
Terra had by then completely lost himself in darkness and hate, making Xehanort's job at first rather easy, but the creation of the Lingering Will and Terra's resurfacing later in the battle at Radiant Garden against Aqua shows that Xehanort had in fact no complete control at all.

When Ventus was still his apprentice (and before the Vanitas-fiasco) he also tried the same manipulation course like with Terra and Sora, yet failed repeatedly, leading Xehanort to remark that he is too kind-hearted to be of use and finally resort to the drastical method with the Heartless.

Vanitas is a curious case, but maybe can be designated as the easiest one out of all, since he was a newborn heart (ripped from a piece of Ventus), ergo meaning no real sense of self at first, which is also why Xehanort calls him an "empty creature" at first and being pure darkness.
It would be a field day for Xehanort to make a vessel out of that, even better a chance than first-week-Zombie-Roxas in Days.

I agree there is no specific timeline to Xehanort seeds, although there is the indication that none of them was instantaneous. Xehanort may have thought it was so with Terra, but the Lingering Will and Terra resisting in Final Episode proved him otherwise.

It does seem like there is some middle ground that needed to be found with their "puppets" - that through all of these trials they were never able to achieve. It could be they wanted to wait to craft Roxas into a vessel with strength of body, will and trust to Xemnas (much like Braig and Isa) before depositing a piece of Xehanort.

Ventus doesn't have his heart back. He's not conscious. How is he going to defend himself? Harboring his heart inside of Sora just leaves him alive. We don't even know how he'll act should he get his heart back. Remember how slow and fragile he was to recoup when he was sent to Land of Departure? Xehanort could take advantage of his crippled state even if he wakes up.

Agreed, but maybe his heart heals back up each time he cuts out a sliver for his Organization, and maybe we can hope for some instability in the case of the heart pieces for Terra and Isa to shake free.

Strength of will would however be totally counterproductive to Xehanort's goals. A strong-willed existence would be better in resisting his influence than embracing it. One of the reasons Xigbar and Xemnas (and Xaldin, curiuosly) kept preaching to the Org members that they have no feelings was in order to prevent them growing their new heart-buds and by that, a new sense of self, because then Xehanort's seeds would have it very difficult if not impossible to take over.
As said above, taking over people with a strong sense of self like Terra or Sora takes Xehanort much effort, so letting Roxas and some of the others do so was a big oversight on Xemnas' part.

Except of course if we assume that "possessing per heart piece" is only possible when Master Xehanort himself does it. Xehanort's heart however was with Ansem SoD. Maybe Xemnas' "Xehanort-heart" wasn't strong/stable enough to be used to seed all the members, and that's why they went for the plan with the artificial KH.

Exactly, and Aqua, Sora and co. would be stupid to reveal the Chamber of Waking before Ven's heart is ready to be put back. Ven's heart had ten (by now possibly even eleven) years to heal, and going by its actions inside Sora's heart in DDD is seems that its on a good way. With Ven's first heart-injury we had four years between the Prologue and BBS proper as healing time, and yet we do not know how much of these four years it actually took until he was stable again.
Depending on the state of his heart he might actually be able to defend himself pretty well, also considering that he wasn't manipulated or conditioned by Xehanort beforehand like Terra or Sora in DDD.
Xehanort would have been also unsuccessful with Sora if he had not have all that time for his machinations.

Xehanort's heart would have to be truly exceptional if it can heal from multiple splittings that fast, and yet still, the only other case we saw was Ven with Vanitas' creation, and that one was a) forced on a kid (MX is an adult and Keyblade Master), b) Vanitas according to MX took too big of a chunk from Ven's heart (even if it was merely close to a quarter considering the broken awakening) and c) done on an already weakened heart due to prior Heartless attack.
Now let's add that MX does not sent out parts as big as cake pieces but smaller stuff, and it might be reasonable.

That's what I guess might be the solution. The GoL might have to enter the controlled/captured heart of the vessel in question, defeat the Xehanort-piece inside it and then use the "Key to Return Hearts" to return that piece to Xehanort's main heart.

Ven didn't give into the darkness at the Keyblade Graveyard, but he still found use for him to try to forge the X-blade, one of his machinations to which he even admits to acting rashly. His plans have diversified much more since then, and Xemnas is obviously trying to find the Chamber of Waking/perhaps Ventus for a reason. They haven't been able to select prime cuts as far as the 13th vessel goes. First it was Riku, then Roxas, then Sora - Ventus might be looking good to Master Xehanort right about now, however unfit he may have initially seemed.
Yep, but he only found use for Ven in light purposes, when he was still his apprentice Xehanort tried repeatedly to influence the kid to embrace his darkness and always failed. The incident with the Heartless we saw in the BBS flashback was just the last one when MX lost patience and tried to force Ven to use his darkness. And even that failed too.

Oh, I surely won't deny that Xemnas had a reason to search for Ventus, after all, from Days we learn that Xemnas was almost obsessed with it and Saix apparently really thought Axel and him might have something to use against Xemnas if they could find the chamber before, at least that's what he implies to Axel once.
What this reason is however was kept ambigious to a T, so anything is possible in this regard.

My point was that Ven was physically stable enough by then to fend off Vanitas. He is not stable enough to do that right now. (And yes, any and all of those possibilities could happen.)

Only it is relevant to what I'm trying to say. I didn't view Ventus's smile as a sign he's getting ready to wake up and kick butt. That smile seemed more like an involuntary action, much like breathing. It takes voluntary effort not to smile with a bunch of warm fuzzy Dream Eaters surrounding you. Try not laughing at your favorite comedian; this is what I mean. It takes way more damanding, physical effort to fight and defend yourself and almost none on the instinctual side of laughing at something that's funny.

We do not know that either. We do not know how stable Ven's heart is right now or how stable it will be when Aqua and Sora finally decide to go to the Chamber of Waking. I also highly doubt that Aqua would just stand idly by and let Xehanort do something like this unopposed, not after she already lost Terra to him.

Ven "getting ready to wake up and kick butt" is completely tied to how the status of his heart is. If it's healed far enough it can defend itself, and only in that case they should actually go and try to wake him up in the physical world.

So you don't think we can save any of the Darknesses? What hope do you have for Terra and Isa then?

The darkness I was referring to could be either Sora or Xehanorts, but his heart is stationed within Sora now rather than himself. His heart which turned into or produced his armor (?) was able to be corrupted/animated by darkness, so why should his now heartless body be less vulnerable?

That's not what I meant with that. Nice that you mention Terra and Isa though, and although I am not sure yet if Isa is really a victim or voluntary in it like Braig, I see these as enough to being needed to be saved. Why do we need to repeat the same stuff now also with Ven? Also considering we already have the possessed victim with Terra, so making Ven another one would also cheapen Terra's situation.
What I really meant with "meaningless" is that is though that Sora saving Ven's heart twice as well as all of Aqua's efforts to keep him safe would have not accomplished anything because Ventus would be in a much worse state than before.

As evidenced though with both Terra and Sora as well as Riku in KH 1, Xehanort's darkness needs a sufficient amount of a heart's own darkness to take hold and to sustain him, and Ven doesn't have that.
Ven's heart only produced the armor, you can see it floating high above when Sora in the armor lies on the awakening platform, as Ven's heart shines from above.
It was only the armor itself that was animated by the Darkness of that Nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back