• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

CLASSIC [Magical Library Expansion]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Re: CLASSIC #14 [The Forgotten Forest Expansion]

Bryer. I feel so sorry for when it comes to being put on the spot light. I've been there, dude. I've been there. I really like how close he's getting to Sam too. I suspect there will be a kiss soon! I have a hard time imagining the elves warming up to Bryer, because they could easily frame him for something that gets him booted out of their village. On the other hand, Alice being blunt was refreshing and amusing. I feel like the plot is coming closer with this mysterious entrance with wind keeping humans and elves away. Would it be strange, if I said I thought of Legend of Zelda Wind Waker as I was reading this? Overall, I enjoyed reading it as always and you're doing great for NaNoWriMo, CD-Mann!

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
CLASSIC #15 [The Forgotten Forest Expansion]

Week two, and I already don't care about NaNo! Whoops. I'm pretty sure the same thing happened last time too. Maybe next time I'll have enough motivation to actually follow through with my ideas. Anyway, I got what I wanted out of it, which was to just getting myself to write again, so I'd call it a success. I should probably proof-read these before I post them up, but nah. Bask in my grammar and spelling mistakes. This should be the second to last part in the Forgotten Forest. If I don't end up changing my mind, the next part will wrap it all up. Fun fact: Forgotten Forest is already more than twice the length of Starter Pack (10k vs 21k words)! Whaaat it feels like not much has even happened.

---​
“Oh, Nan. Bryer wants to spend the night in the village.” Wait what? It was your idea, don't make it seem like it was all me. “I think it'll be a good idea. The more time he spends her the more likely the other elves are to open up to him, right?”
“That's true, I suppose.” The elderly elf said as she took a seat in a rocking chair, leaving Samantha and myself to sit on the small couch. The more time I spent here, the more I realized how little differences there were between the elves here and the humans in Blueshire. Or at least, in terms of furniture anyway. It was weird to think about, but how did they manage to make a sofa? Magic? I'd have to ask Eliz about it at some point, as well as the other things that have bothered me about the village. Water, for instance. There weren't any plumbing, so showers and washing were done old school with a bucket of water, but where did they get the water from? I didn't see any large streams or lakes, and I doubt rain water would last them long. “However you still need to be careful.” Eliz continued, breaking me away from my thoughts. “We might have been welcoming to you, but as you just saw, not everyone is as open as us about letting strangers in.” I blinked in realization.
“Eliz. Thank you.” I said, causing her to raise an eyebrow. I hadn't even thought about it, but it just hit me that you could have rejected me the second I walked into the village. I might have brought you your granddaughter, but a more discriminating person could have ignored that and send me packing back through the forest. Night was just starting to unfold, so I don't know how I would have fared by myself. So, thank you.” The woman smiled at me before nodding once, then turned addressed Samantha.
“Bryer's very smart. He's spending the night in your room, right?”
“N-Nan!” Sam cried out, cheeks blaring.
“What? I told you I wanted great-grandchildren, didn't I? I don't mind if they're half-elf.” I didn't answer. I've learned that when Eliz is in a joking mood, it's best to just let her keep joking than try to fight the waves by answering seriously.
“What...what would the village think, though?” Sam said. How does she not know how to deal with her own grandmother? Keep adding fuel to the fire, girl. I'm sure that'll work out.
“Who cares what they think?” The chief said seriously. “So long as you're happy, that's all that matters. We've lived cut off from the rest of the world because our grandmothers were afraid of discrimination. I refuse to believe that our village would turn their backs on you that easily. You can open their eyes to a whole new world if you try; I just know you can.” I'll admit I was a bit lost. Maybe there were some hidden context that I wasn't aware off, but it seemed to be bigger than just some girl with a crush, afraid of what their family was going to think. I was about to ask what the bigger picture was, but as I turned to see Samantha, I saw that she was on the verge of tears.

“Nan...” She mumbled as she ran into her grandmother's arms. “Thank you!” I watched on in silence, suddenly feeling like a third wheel. “I need to... I need to go outside for a second.” The young elf stammered as she exited the embrace. Without another word, the girl ran from the living room and into the kitchen. I heard a door open and close, which made me think she left through the back door. I stood, though I wasn't exactly sure why. I felt inexplicably tense, though it was accompanied by another emotion I couldn't pin down. Hopeful, maybe?
“Bryer?” Eliz asked, causing me to snap my attention to her.
“I feel like I should go after her.” I told her.
“That's probably a good idea. But let me ask you something first.” The elf stood from her chair and walked towards a tall wooden cabinet as she went on. “The day you came to the village, I wasn't sure what had happened. Why had my granddaughter brought in a stranger, let alone one she couldn't even talk to? I've gone through the explanation she gave me over and over, but I'm still not sure what happened to her when you found her.” She slowly opened the cabinet, though I couldn't see what was inside. “But I think whatever happened out there, you two are going to bring it to a close.” Eliz turned around, holding a bow along with its quiver. She walked back towards me and handed me the quiver, nudging me to strap it to my back. As I did so, she continued. “I don't know what you'll face, but you must protect her, and she must protect you.” I nodded in acknowledgment as I made sure the quiver was placed properly. “Now for my question. It's obvious how Samantha feels about you, but how do you feel about her?”
“What?”
“She is still a child at heart and believes love is easy. But you've seen the horrors of the world and have most likely have known loss. I want to be clear that you have my trust no matter what you say, but I would strongly advise against stringing Samantha along under false pretenses. What are your feelings for her?” Oh boy. I took a deep breath and let it go.
“Like you said, she's still a bit childish. I spent some time thinking, and maybe the reason she's become fascinated with me is because I'm different. I'm a new face to her from another world. I'll admit that I have feelings for her, but I think she might be trying to push this too hard and too fast. She doesn't know it, but in my line of work there's a very serious health risk, and I don't want her to go though...” I closed my mouth as I felt my throat clench shut at the thought of Emily. Damn it. “I just don't want to put her through a terrible situation.” I finally said. “We'll have to start slow if we decide to get serious. Every step about it is going to be complicated.” Eliz smiled at me.
“You really are smart, aren't you? Well, you're not stupid, anyway. I still want great-grandchildren, you know.”
“No promises.” This caused the chief to laugh as she handed me the bow.
“Have her show you how to use this.”

I held on to the bow awkwardly as I exited the house, and I panicked for a second, suddenly aware that I was out in the village by myself. The feeling left almost immediately as I saw Samantha sitting alone on the edge of a water well. That's one mystery solved, I guess. I made my way to her as quietly as possible, my feet hardly making a sound as I tiptoed across the small grassy stretch of land while the evening sun poured a gleaming orange shade on my surroundings. Thankfully, she was facing the other direction so my little sneaking adventure was made all the more easier. It only took a few seconds to reach her and I stood behind the elf, it was obvious she had no idea I was here. Chive would be proud. ...Now what? 'Boo'? I felt a pang of guilt strike me as I realized now might not be the best time for jokes.
“Hey.” I whispered, causing her to jump. Damn it! I scared her anyway! I should have grabbed her by the shoulders and made creepy noises while shaking her. ...Though if any of the other villagers saw that, there might have been trouble. This was probably for the best. Wait, what the hell am I thinking about?! Samantha's talking.
“...scared me!” She said, wiping at her eye.
“Sorry. I didn't mean to.” Kinda. “Are you okay? I feel like I missed something back there. With your grandmom, I mean.”
“Oh that.” The elf said, looking away from me as sunlight pressed against her. “I'm not sure how to explain it. It's just... I dunno. Ever since you showed up I feel like something is going to happen. Something bigger than myself, maybe even bigger than the village. I've been feeling kinda powerless, you know? And it sucks. I know we were mostly joking around back there, but I think she's right. Maybe I can make the villagers start to accept humans, or at the very least, teach them to not be as afraid as they are. You're the first step.”
“Speaking of which,” I brought the bow up to face level, “when do we start?” Sam smiled.
“Do you actually want to learn, or are you just doing it to help?” I sighed.
“I once lost someone,” I told her, “someone who was very important to me. I've had time to cope and I know it wasn't my fault. But,” I looked at the bow in my hand as I flipped it around, “sometimes I stay up at night thinking that maybe I could have made a difference. If I was just a bit faster. Or if I had been in a better position. Or if I could have taken out a target from afar. Maybe then she would still be here.” I cleared my throat as I handed the weapon to Samantha. “I've been working on my speed and thinking on my feet. There's one loose thread to tie.” The girl took the bow and looked at me.
“Who was she?” She asked softly.
“Her name was Emily Pale.” I answered, taking a seat next the elf. “She was in the Sword Guild with me. We met while training and went up the ranks together. Eventually, we became a couple. We knew the risks involved with our work. Every mission had a chance to go poorly, but we decided to date anyway. One mission we were paired together and...things fell apart. We were ambushed. We fought them off, but there was one person we missed. I saw him first, but I couldn't reach him in time and he...shot her with a crossbow.”
“Bryer, I'm sorry.”
“Yeah. It was an awful feeling. I was plagued for weeks by it. I blamed myself, and though I've accepted the fact that it wasn't my fault, it still isn't easy to digest.” I rubbed the back of my neck as I went on. “I know you like me. And you can probably tell that I like you as well, but there's too much danger in my world. I don't want to put you through what I've been through.”
“I kinda get what you mean.” She said. “But I'm not giving up that easily.” Samantha stood, pushing the bow back to me. “Let's start with the basics.”
---
“Keep your back straight.” Samantha said behind me. Rays of morning light washed over the village as the sun just barely tipped itself over the tall wall guarding the people living here. Just the evening before, I had agreed to let Sam teach me how to use a bow, but I didn't realize just how much of a big deal she'd make out of it. The elf had barged into my room at the crack of dawn and dragged me to the elves' practice range. I was kind of used to early mornings, but I had hoped that I would be allowed to sleep in at least a little bit while visiting Evehom. I was gripping the neck of a bow with my left hand while my right hand pulled back an empty string. I was pretty sure I was doing this right, but honestly I had no idea. I was just doing what I had seen others do. It was probably a good idea to not let me use an actual arrow just yet. The training range could be described as an empty field with large circular targets filled with some kind of straw material placed every few meters away from a starting line housed by a small roof. Needless to say I was standing on the far right lane which had the closest target. Sam teased me by saying it was the one children practiced and played on. Well, we all gotta start somewhere.
“Was breakfast too much to ask for before coming out here?” I asked, trying to maintain my stance. I felt goofy looking, like back when mom was teaching me how to use a sword as a kid. Helpless and waiting for someone to tell me I was doing something wrong.
“Come on, you can handle this for a while longer.” I slowly undid the taut string as I lowered the bow, relieving the pressure on it, as well as the small sting it left on my fingers. Did people wear gloves when doing this? Before I had a chance to ask, Samantha handed me an arrow. “It might be best to gauge how well you do first, actually. See where your natural skill is, and all of that.”
“Okay.” I took the ammunition from her and placed it in the center of my weapon. “Like this, right?” I asked as I awkwardly pulled the string back before undoing my action. “No, wait, uh.” I fiddled with my fingers for a second to find a comfortable position for them that also allowed the arrow to stick on. When I felt confident I wasn't going to drop the arrow completely, I pointed the front of the bow at the target. “Now I just let go?” Samantha nodded, and I quickly opened the palm of my right hand. I didn't expect the arrow to fly perfectly straight and into the bulls-eye, but I had at least hoped it would fly somewhere close to it. What I got instead was the string of the bow snapping back at my hand while the arrow floundered stupidly a few inches ahead. “Merde! I cursed aloud while flailing my hand in the air, trying in vain to shake away the stinging pain.

“Are you okay? Why did you bring your hand that close to the string after you let go?” The young elf asked concerned.
“I'm fine, and I dunno. Wasn't thinking. Damn, this stings.”
“Are you bleeding? Lemme look.” I showed the girl my hand. No blood, thankfully, but it still hurt. “Looks fine. And now I know how to start with you.”
“Really? And where would that be?”
“From the very beginning.” Well, wowie, who would have guessed it? The guy who's never held a bow before has no idea how one works. “Like, look, you need to spread your legs a bit and have them parallel with each other.”
“Really? This is how I stand when I first unsheathe my sword, so I figured it'd be the same.”
“Kinda. Here look.” She kicked at my feet until I moved them according to her vague tapping, and though I trusted her with this, I still felt as if I was standing awkwardly. “See, you can anchor yourself more firmly like this.”
“I feel like I'm going to fall over if someone pushes me.”
“Just relax, and don't put all of your weight on a single foot.” I did as she said, though I also brought my legs a bit closer, and found it much more easier to keep myself upright.
“Now what?”
“Now you bring your arms up like this. ...No, not like that, like this.” I tried to mimic her movement, but apparently I couldn't follow along. “Here, hang on.” Sam said as she went wrapped her body around me from behind so she outlined me. Her cheek brushed against mine as she led my hands on the bow. We pulled back the arrow against the now taut string, and I felt a smile spread across her cheeks. “How you let go makes a difference too. It's hard to explain, but your fingers will determine how the arrow will fly. It's trajectory, power, and speed can all be effected by how you release the arrow.” Ever so slowly, the elf disengaged from me so that I was standing alone with the bow pointed at the target. “Now let go.” I heard a loud swiping noise as the arrow flew from my grasp. A sharp contrast from my last attempt, the arrow this time struck the very border of the target. “Progress!” Samantha said happily.

I hadn't noticed it, but we spent a good few hours out on that range moving to different targets. Though I had managed to hit the first one, it was far from a good shot, especially since it was the closest one. When we moved to the next one, I found the differences needed to compensate for the distance jarring, and it took at least a million tries and nearly all of Samantha's patience before I was finally able to consistently hit the target. ...Well, sort of. I was still trying to get the hang of it all and shooting seemed to be difficult for me. Still, I think I did decently for my first day.
“How are your hands?” Sam asked as we made our way back to her house.
“They...well, hurt.” I answered stupidly while stretching my fingers. My fingertips felt like they were on fire.
“You'll get used to it.”
“Will I? Aren't there gloves or something for this?” The elf only shrugged at me before opening the door and stepped inside. “There's a spot in the forest I want to check out again, by the way. That spot passed the Kaytraps? I dunno, something about it bothers me.”

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Re: CLASSIC #15 [The Forgotten Forest Expansion]

Bryer, you poor lad. I sometimes forget how old you are until something like this happens. It actually explains why you're not falling over your own two feet when it comes to girls. Although, I thought you were more of a ladies man for awhile there. It's kind of heartbreaking to know someone you cared for died before your eyes and not being able to save them in time. I also thought it was pretty smooth of Sam to teach him how to wield the bow and arrow. Wink, wink. On the other hand, I feel like we got more development with the story and got to have more insight on Bryer and Sam. I look forward to seeing what happens next. :)

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
CLASSIC #16 [The Forgotten Forest Expansion]

Very short update today. I should have finished this up a while ago but haven't gotten around to it, so instead I'll post what I've got done so far. Next update should be the finale for the Forgotten Forest Expansion. For reals.

---
Finding the right spot took a few tries, which was a bit surprising. Samantha decided to tag along, so she was able to help find it again, but even with her by my side we still took a few wrong turns. When we finally found the corpses of the two kaytraps, I realized something.
“Shouldn't we like, move the bodies or something?”
“What?”
“Well like, we shouldn't just leave them there, should we?”
“I don't see why not. Insects and stuff will take care of them.” I was about to make a lame joke, but Samantha quickly placed her hand over my mouth.
“Mmmh?” I asked. Instead of an answer, the elf pushed me back into the forest and against a tree, her body hugging mine tightly. I was reminded of just yesterday when I was pressed against the door, but this was different. Instead of the warm affection I felt from her last time, I was instead feeling as if this was for protection.
“Look at the kaytraps.” She whispered at me, pressing herself even closer to me. I did as I was told, though at first I wasn't sure what I should be seeing it. Then it slowly hit me. The one furthest to the right was disappearing. It was very slow, like a large blanket was sliding over the carcass. The tail was entirely missing, though that detail didn't hit me at first. I stared in confused awe as the beast's legs were consumed by the invisible mass.
“What's going on?” I asked Sam, my voice muffled by her hand.
“I'm not sure...wait, look up; by the leaves.” Floating in midair was a large gelatinous oval. Purple in color, I could see dimples spotting it, and it quivered every so often. Unsure of what it was, I noticed a faint outline around it.
“Lemme get my bag.” I whispered. Pulling out the ever useful bag of holding, I reached inside and hoped for something that allowed to see the unseen. Magical, technological, or smoke and mirrors, whatever it was, I needed to see it. I felt a bottle materialize around my fingers and pulled it out as quietly as possible before reading the label. 'Vision of Truth'. Yeah, that'll work I guess. I popped the cork off and took a swig, draining half the potion before passing the rest to Samantha, urging her to drink it. She looked at the bottle waywardly, almost as if I had offered her ipecac. I nudged the bottle at her again, hoping she would trust me with this. Finally she took the bottle and, after sniffing it once, drained it quickly. I silently returned the now empty bottle into my bag and looked up at the mysterious mass. Nothing had changed at first, and I was worried that I might have grabbed a dud, or that the potion had expired, but as a few seconds passed I was able to easily make out the outline surrounding the floating organism. It was faint at first and I was sure I was just seeing things, but as it continued its slow march over the dead kaytraps I was sure it was becoming less abstract. Little by little, I was able to see a translucent green skin-like gel appear. The massive monster that only shows its core to the world was in fact a giant slime creature, and it was currently dragging itself over the bodies of two felled monsters. Looking back up to the purple mass, I saw that the large dimples were actually sockets for its appendages. Every quiver was accompanied by a tube-like arm that either exited or entered its hole. It took me a second to realize the appendages were reaching down from the height of the core down to the floor where the kaytraps were in order to decompose it and return the nutrients to the actual body.

Both Samantha and I stood in stunned silence as we watched the creature devour the kaytraps. After what felt like an eternity, the slime monster slid into the small crevice between the trees I had found yesterday. The green gel squeezed itself into the small crack with surprising ease, changing its shape to accommodate for the lack of space. Even the core itself was more nimble than I had first assumed, flattening itself so that it would enter without difficulty. As soon as it entered. I lightly pushed Samantha off of me and inspected the area where the kaytraps were.
“What...what was that?” The elf asked, her voice shaking.
“No idea. Some kind of monster? I've seen slimes before, but those were little things, nothing like that giant. From what I remember, slimes themselves are weak but they can only be hurt from a certain area. In that big guy's case, I'm guessing that purple oval is the control center.” I squatted down to where the bodies used to be, but the ground was sucked clean. “No slime trail. No smell, no leftover texture, it's as if it was never here.”
“Is that weird?”
“Kinda. These things usually make a mess, for obvious reasons. But here its like it never existed. Did you see how big it was too? That's unheard of. ...Or at least, I think it is.” Damn, I should have brushed up on my monster knowledge. Pop quiz, hot shot: you see a ring of mushrooms on the floor and a fairy urging you to enter the circle. What do you do? ...Oh crap, what would you do? I need a refresher. I shook away the little thoughts as I stood upright and walked towards the small crack between the trees.
“What are you doing?!” Sam hissed at me.
“Huh?”
“Don't go towards it; we should go back to the village and warn the others!”
“What? No, there's not enough time for that. There's another path in there and last time I tried to go down it I was knocked away. Right now might be my only chance to enter it.
“But why? Why would you go down there? There's probably nothing there for you, not even the answer to whatever mission you're on.”
“Maybe,” I answered as carefully walked through the trees, “but something like that can't be good. Wait here if you want, but I need to check this out."

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Re: CLASSIC #16 [The Forgotten Forest Expansion]

Please don't let Sam get hurt from this! I know Bryer wants to go after "it" since he has a chance and all. I just worry about her safety. Anyhow, they make a good team, since Sam was able to spot something Bryer didn't. And I guess this means, Bryer might finally be able to accomplish his mission. I also wonder if this Slime monster had something to do with bewitching Sam into a trance? I imagine a battle is coming up from this. Also, the Vision of Truth sounds familiar. ;3 I look forward to the finale, CD-Mann!

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
CLASSIC #17 [The Forgotten Forest Expansion (End)]

I'd be lying if I said I had every single piece of this planned out from the start. Things often lead from one thing to another for me sometimes and end up working out. Though I'll admit I feel as if the beginning/middle area of this isn't anywhere near as strong as I wanted it to be. Oh well, it's all just practice. This'll be the end of the Forgotten Forest, and then we'll be moving on to something else! What's that something else? We'll find out later. Probably.

---

I lay on my back underneath the trees. Lazily opening my eyes, I saw the leaves sway against the light wind making the shade they provided become unreliable and I squinted as light intruded on my otherwise darkened nap. I felt Samantha stir and, looking down, saw her resting on my body, just waking up. I was tempted to tell her how heavy she felt to get a rise out of her, but held my tongue.
“'Morning, Sam.” I said drowsily. She looked up at me, her green eyes gleaming through the shade.
“Hiiii.” She yawned before lowering her head back on to my chest. “What time is it?”
“Time to get up, I imagine.” The elf groaned in response.
”I want to stay here.” She was so groggy I could barely make out her words.
“We aren't kids anymore you know. We actually have responsibilities now.” Another groan.
“Fine.” Ever so slowly, the girl pried herself off of me, swaying slightly as if she were about to once again collapse on herself. Though I joked, I didn't fare much better and I actually had to place my hand on a nearby tree to keep my balance. “You ready to go back?” She asked. I nodded in response. “Okay. Oh, before that--” her face suddenly became very serious and panicky as she rushed towards me, “drink this. Come on, please wake up.” She said, bringing a bottle of clear liquid up to my lips. Catching me off guard, I could do little as the liquid was forced down my throat.
“What the hell?!” I spat as I backed away.
“What?” Samantha asked, suddenly back at the spot she was before, empty handed. “Are you alright?” I looked at her, confused. I could still feel the taste of whatever that was in my mouth, though everything else had reverted back to as if nothing had happened.
“Did you have a drink on you?” I asked.
“No, why?” There weren't any empty bottles around, and why would she lie to me?
“Never mind, probably still half asleep. Let's head back, yeah?” She nodded at me with a small smile as she outstretched her hand. I took it as I interlocked our fingers together and we walked hand in hand back from the borders of Evehom to Eliz's house.

Reaching the large house in the center of the village, Samantha wasted no time in knocking on the front door. A few seconds later, the chief opened the door with a wide smile.
“Oh, back already?” She asked happily. Almost too happily. “Come on in, I'll let her know you two are back.”
“Thanks again, Eliz.” I told her, accepting her invitation, “we just needed some time alone. You know how it is.”
“Of course, of course. Didn't I tell you you could call me 'nan' from now on?” Aw jeez. I saw Sam smile smugly besides me, nudging me on.
“...Thanks, Nan.” That felt more natural than I thought it would. I probably would never get used to it, though. The aged elf chuckled to herself as she led us to the living room.
“I'll get her ready, she was just upstairs playing.” We nodded as she went up the steps while we sat on the loveseat.
“Man,” I said softly, “this brings me back.”
“Yeah. Remember the first time you came in here?”
“I was so nervous. You have no idea.”
“Really? You looked pretty calm to me.”
“Did I? I remember feeling panicky. Then Eliz—Nan—made that potion for us...”
“Mm-hmm.”
“...wait. I showed up because...” I couldn't remember. Why did I come to this village? And how? “I found you dazed.” I told her, retracing my steps. “and then...something else happened later, right?”
“Huh?” Just as I was about to break through something, Eliz walked down the stairs.
“She'll be down in just a second.” The chief told us, snapping me back. She took a seat at her chair and, almost immediately after, I heard small footsteps run down the stairs. I looked towards the stairs to see a small girl with brown hair, blue eyes, and pale skin running towards us.
“Mommy! Daddy!” She cried happily.
“Hi, baby!” Sam cried back, crouching down to embrace her daughter before picking her up.
“Hey there, little Emily!” I told her, tickling her nose. “Were you a good girl?”
“Uh-huh!” My daughter said, nodding in an exaggerated manner. “Nanny Eliz taught me loads of things!” That made me worry.
“What's with that face?” Eliz asked jokingly. “I was just showing her her elven culture.” I couldn't help but be suspicious. Over the years, I've learned that Eliz had a lot in common with my best friend. ...Who I haven't seen in a few years...? Wait, where—
“Daddy!” Emily cried again, snapping me away.
“Yes, sweetheart?”
“We're going home, right?”
“Of course we are, why?”
“I'm kinda hungry.”
“Oh,” Eliz said, “I could make something for you if you'd like.”
“N-no thank you, Nanny! I'm not too hungry.” I held back a chuckle. Looks like she inherited my sense of taste.
“Thanks, Eliz, but home's not to far. She's a tough girl, she can last. Isn't that right?” I petted Emily's head, causing her to smile.
“Right!” After a quick goodbye, the three of us made our way across the village. Emily walked between us, holding both our hands. “Daddy?”
“Mmm?”
“Are you happy?”
“Yeah, of course I am. I have everything I could possibly want here.”
“Do you want to stay like this forever?” I looked down at her, confused.
“Of course I do. Why wouldn't I?” This caused my daughter to smile.
“Just wonder—“

The sunny day was suddenly replaced with darkened woods. The smell of chimney smoke that I had been used to for so long was gone, and in its place was a damp woody smell. Samantha's voice rang out from somewhere.
“Fight it!” She told me. I felt incredibly lethargic, so much so that I couldn't even wiggle my fingers. In an instant, the darkness was gone and I found myself sitting in a small dinning room across from Sam.
“Aren't you hungry, Bryer?” She asked, pointing at my plate full of food.
“No.” I said sharply. What just happened? I felt my heartbeat start to increase, and stood from my chair.
“Dad?” The little girl asked, looking up at me. I didn't answer. Something was going on. Without saying a word, I ran out the door and into the village. The sun was gone, and the skies were an unnatural color of black.
“Bryer?!” I heard Sam call behind me. I looked around, but all I saw was darkness. Gone were the other houses. The torches that lit up the village at night were no where to be seen, even the bordering magical trees that sealed the village from danger were missing. As my heart beat rapidly increased, my mind also began to fire itself into overdrive. Random thoughts and memories contradicting everything I've know for the past years surfaced themselves onto the shores of my mind. How could I have stayed in Evehom for so long without the Sword Guild looking for me? Why hadn't Alice ever try to contact me all these years for answers? Or Chive, for that matter? As these ideas pelted themselves against my brain, the ground below me began to crack.
“Daddy?” I looked down to see Emily staring up at me, her eyes watering. “What's happening?” I felt my heart break in half at the sudden realization.
“You're not real.” I whispered. Samantha and I had found the large slime monster, but then what happened?
“Dad? How could you say that?” She sobbed.
“No. This isn't—” I looked behind me to face our home, only to find a black void in its place as a dark breeze blew across my cheeks. “This place doesn't exist.” I said sadly.
“This is what you wanted, daddy!” The girl cried. “You have everything you ever wanted!”
“I know.” I looked back at her, crying her little eyes out, causing my own eyes to tear up. “I know. But I can't stay. I could never stay.” I fell to my knees before wrapping my arms around the daughter I never had. “I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.”
“Dad,” she whispered quietly. “please remember me? Please please please?” I couldn't answer as tears fell from my cheeks. I kissed the top of her head while the ground below us began breaking away.
“Of course.”
---
I hurt.

Staggering to my feet, I felt a flurry of emotions course through my body. Anger, fear, sadness. I leaned heavily against the tree Samantha had placed me next to as I took in my surroundings. Dark woods. Hardly any natural light entered this area as I remembered chasing down the slime monster. Below me was my bag, as well as an empty glass bottle. Samantha had saved me in the exact same way I had saved her. I pocketed the bag as I heard the elf's voice ring out from somewhere. Rubbing my eyes of any tears, I ran towards her voice.

I easily found her as I retraced my steps. She and the slime monster were in the empty meadow with the lone stump I had found behind the kaytrap's lair. I saw the elf fire arrow after arrow at the monster's purple nucleus, though the thick slime halted any of them before they could penetrate it. I drew my sword, ready to destroy the creature that had caused me my previous pain and walked passed Samantha, avoiding eye contact.
“Bryer?! You're okay!” I didn't answer as I took a fighter's position. “Wait, no! We can't fight this; we need to run.” I looked up at the slime. It was obvious that a single strike from us wasn't going to cut through its body. Instead we would need a large number of attacks in quick progression to clear a path. I guessed that the time needed between attacks would be very strict; they all needed to be less than a second apart. I took another quick glance at the monster's membrane. It was surrounded my tall trees, which gave me an idea.
“Shoot another arrow at the core.” I told her, still avoiding her face.
“What?!”
“Just do it!” I crouched down and focused on my sword. I still had plenty of trouble using my mother's technique, but right now there was no way I wouldn't be able to pull it off. Samantha notched up an arrow and, as soon as I heard it fire off, I stood up, my body consumed with energy. With blazing yellow eyes, I ran towards the large slime at a speed I didn't bother to measure. I jumped towards a nearby tree and pushed my feet against it, kicking off to another tree closer to the monster. I again kicked off that tree, which sent me careening towards the slime's core. As I flew through the air, I quickly slashed through the gelatinous outer body rapidly, clearing a path for the arrow trailing behind me. I saw the arrow narrowly fly below my arm and pierce the core with a satisfying clenching noise. Adding on to the pain, I stabbed my sword at it as I began falling from the sky.

I just managed to right myself in time to land on my feet. I watched on as the slime slowly melted away to the ground. The frail core, now pierced in two separate places, began breaking apart and the slime itself was unable to maintain itself. As a result, the large mass of gelatinous material began to break away until only the now-dead core was all that was left.
Coeur de Lion.” Samantha whispered in awe. I turned to her, slightly confused.
“Heart of lion?”
“Lionheart. Courageous one.”
“Oh.” It hurt to look at her, though I wasn't sure why. “Thank you. For waking me, I mean."
“Huh? Oh. Yeah. I had...uh, I had followed after you, but found you walking around—“
“In a trance?” She nodded. “So then that thing was responsible for what happened to you, too.” She nodded again.
“Not only that, but look.” She reached into her pockets and pulled out some wrappers. Handing them to me, I read the labels. They were all commercial products that were bought in bulk by militaries and guilds.
“This thing was stealing the supplies from Fayfield and Blueshire?! But how?”
“I found...bodies...deeper in.” Samantha told me. “Bodies of elves that had gone missing. What if that thing could control them?” Well, damn.
“Why didn't it control us, then?”
“Maybe it couldn't? Maybe it needed an empty body to host.”
“I'll need to report this.” I said. “Maybe Alice would know more.” I again pulled out the crystal shard and called out to her.

Another night at Evehom, I assume?” Alice said before I could tell her anything.
“Actually, tell Dyson I finished the mission. No one should be missing any more supplies from here on out.” This caused the mage to remain silence in a moment of concentration.
“Who did you just kill?”
“Seriously?! That's what you think happened?”
“Am I wrong?” Damn it.
“It was a slime monster. There's plenty of evidence to say it was behind it, as well as the murder of a few elves.”
“I'll let Dyson know. We'll need you here to account it to us.”
“Right, right. See you soon.” I pocketed the crystal and found Samantha staring at me.
“You're...going back?” She asked oddly.
“Yeah. This is the main reason why I was here, after all.” The girl hesitated for a few seconds before speaking.
“You know...You could, you could stay here. With us. You can stay in the village.”
“I can't stay,” I told her, “I could never stay,” This felt familiar, though I couldn't place it anywhere in my mind. “I'll swing by to visit though, so don't you worry. And I can show you around town sometime, too.”
“Seriously?! You won't forget, right? Please please please?”
“Of course.” I told her while de ja vue flooded over me. Why did it feel as if I just had this conversation? Ah well. “I have to get going though. The sooner the better. Let Eliz know what happened, okay?”
“Alright. You better be back, or I swear I'll come and find you.”
“Scary woman.” I joked before an awkward silence came over us. “Um.” I started. “I guess I'll—“ Samantha interrupted me before I could finish by grabbing my head with both her hands.
“Bye.” She whispered before pressing her lips against my own. For once I let myself enjoy the moment and closed my eyes, but it was over all too quickly. “Sorry.” she whispered, “I probably shouldn't have.”
“Probably not,” I answered back. “but I ain't complaining.” I heard her laugh as her fingers slipped away from my cheeks. As I opened my eyes, I found myself alone in the forest. 'Lionheart', huh? That had a nice ring to it.
---​
I entered the building that housed Alice's apartment. Though I knew I needed to report to Dyson, I had instead opted to head home and shower in order to clean myself off of the slime that had gotten on my skin and clothing. I didn't realize just how much of the stuff I had gotten on me, and I was quickly reminded of why I hated slimes. After that I had decided to call on Alice to answer a few questions relating to slimes and the powers they could posses just to make sure I was on the right track before I formally went into Dyson's office. As I walked into the main lobby, I heard the receptionist gasp.

“You're Mr. Alma, right? Bryer Alma?” She told me as I reached the front desk.
“Yeah, I'm just here to visit Alice Reyes.”
“O-of course. Um, do you remember me, by any chance?” I looked her over before the memory of my misstep surfaced.
“Ah, yeah. Sorry about that. I didn't realize you had a boyfriend.”
“That's just the thing; the night after we kind of broke up.”
“Oh! Uh, sorry to hear that, I guess.”
“Thanks. Um, but I was wondering if maybe you wanted to do something? Maybe have you for dinner?”
“Uh?”
“I-I mean, have you over for dinner, of course.”
“No, I mean—wait what?” Thoughts of my last two weeks in the forest raced back, and with them came Samantha. “Ah...I'm sorry. I've actually kinda just met someone.”
“Oh. That's...that's fine. Please don't worry about it.” I nodded before she let me head up to Alice's room. For some reason, I couldn't help but feel as if I had just dodged a bullet.

[Forgotten Forest Scenario 1, End.]

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Re: CLASSIC #17 [The Forgotten Forest Expansion (End)]

The ending with the receptionist amused me. I see what you did there. ;D As for the rest of the story, gosh, you pulled at my heart strings some more. It didn't take me long to figure out what was happening to Bryer. Still, that kupo-ing hurts to see him go through that. The technique he used was really awesome. Now I understand how this relates to a lion. Anyhow, I wonder if Bryer rapidly forgot what happened, when the slime had him. Or if he's in denial despite seeing similarities from Sam and Emily. I hope Alice can help him, since she seems to get through to him just as much as Sam does. Really fantastic ending, CD-Mann.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
CLASSIC #18 [Little Paw Mini Expansion]

This won't make sense for a long time.

---
Little Paw Mini Expansion

Darkness had fallen over the town of Azure, one of the strongest towns in Blueshire that bordered the Bluefield forest. A starless sky oversaw the area, though already there was a small shade of pink hue off in the horizon. Soft, uneven footsteps pattered down the cobblestone streets, unheard by a single human. Walking down as if right at home, a small creature resembling a fox made its way through the darkness towards the apartment that was housing the captain of the Sword Guild's Seventh Division. When it arrived at its location, the creature sat by the entrance, almost as if wondering how to see the boy. It cocked its head to the side and tilted one of it's ears before standing once more. Walking around the building, it noticed a tree had grown surprisingly close to the apartment, and it knew this would be the answer. Showing much more agility than its small frame would suggest, the small animal jumped from the ground, landing on the exact branch that rested near a window in a single motion. It peered into the room and saw the exact person it was looking for. Bryer Alma was sound asleep in his bed, which was not at all surprising, given it was three in the morning. The animal raised its forelegs and rested them on the closed windowsill, revealing to the sleeping boy its most defining characteristic. Though both hind legs and left front leg were that of a normal size, its right foreleg was miniscule in comparison. Its dull orange fur clashed terribly with the pitch darkness that appeared at the start of the leg, which appeared shriveled, frail, and hairless, like the skeleton of a tree in the middle of a forest in the beginning of autumn. The creature looked on at the sleeping boy who had just returned from a two week venture from the forest. The animal pressed its snout against the glass and quietly sniffed a few times. It knew it would be needed, but not yet. Still it stayed, observing the boy as well as taking in whatever metaphysical energies it could from him. The boy had seen victory in the forest, though the animal could feel that he had also suffered at some point. Pressing the little paw against the wall, the creature began rearranging Bryer's subconscious into a somewhat readable state. There was no reason for the its curiosity, though it still ran through the boy's mind, skipping past memories and dreams as he slept. When it had its fill, the animal pulled away its distorted limb, noting that the sun had risen, and that the boy was beginning to stir. Bryer opened his eyes, squinting through the morning rays. Though groggy at first, his attention eventually fell to his window, and the animal that was resting against it. The two stared at each other, unblinking. Finally, Bryer made a move to stand and at that instant, the creature hopped off the branch, vanishing.

Many days had passed. Walking through unfamiliar woods, Little Paw came across a small clearing near a tall tower. As it walked under the looming moon, it saw four humanoids; one of which was laying on their back, defeated, along with a second on their knees while the other two stood above them.
“Get that priest now!” A woman ordered to a boy as Little Paw made his presence known with a small yelp. This caused the addressed boy to draw one of his daggers while the robed woman gasped in sudden realization.
“You ain't gettin' a free meal, here.” The boy barked.
“Chive, calm down.” The woman said, gripping his shoulders. “It can help us.”
“What are you talking about, harpy? We're running outta time.”
“I don't believe that priest will be needed after all.” She answered before turning to the kneeling person. “We can still save our friend, but you need to trust me.”
“...Mutual Respect.” the third person mumbled. “Of course I trust you.” Gripping the sword they were so accustomed to, the third person slowly stood and walked away from the downed companion.
“Alice,” The thief warned, “I swear—“
“For once in your life, shut up.” The woman interrupted. “For Bryer's sake.” she looked at the third party member before bringing her gaze back to the defeated. Taking this as a cue, Little Paw cautiously walked towards the group. It neared the body of the fourth member and sniffed at the ground. A discarded bow lay next to its owner, smelling of a distant forest. It looked up towards the party, eying the sword user.
“Wh-what?” Hopping briskly over the body, Little Paw approached the group and carefully bit the sword's blade, taking it from its owner before placing it on the side opposite of the bow.
“It can sense the potion,” The woman said, “it binds you two together, and it will use this to it's advantage.” The creature walked towards the fallen's cranium and sat just above it, looking over the body. No wounds were visible, though the life of this person was being sucked away. Without another sound, the animal closed its eyes and placed its distorted limb against the person's forehead.

An unfamiliar world surrounded Little Paw. There was no sky, no horizon, no floor. Just a disgustingly dark shade of crimson that seemed limitless in this astral zone. Just ahead of the creature's projection was a floating body, the projection of the dying person from the real world. Only an outline was visible, shaded white against the dark background. As the animal walked towards it, a large buzzing sound emitted from all around, and in an instant the body was covered in a swarm of innumerable dark insects. Unfazed, Little Paw continued its march towards them. In an attempt to stop the creature, the swarm let loose a small number of its soldiers to halt its progress. Darkness raced at the creature, though as they collided, the swarm bounced off the projection's pure white body, save for its ever darkened paw, in pain. Realizing there would be no way to hinder its progress, the swarm instead grouped around the body and prepared for an attack. Once within range, Little Paw leaped forward, fangs bearing. Violently shutting it's jaw around the body's head, the swarm screeched in pain as light began flooding the zone. As if burning, the insects infected with light twirled to the ground, unable to cope with the clashing elements and soon the dark crimson that haunted the zone melted away to reveal a light blue, signaling the safety of the person infected.
[Little Paw Mini-Expansion, End.]

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Re: CLASSIC #18 [Little Paw Mini Expansion]

This was a delightful surprise! Little Paw helping the group was interesting for starters. I wonder how Sam got hurt. (guessing that's who it is, because Bryer isn't one who can handle seeing someone he loves or has special feelings for be hurt.) I also feel like this takes place in the future. I actually find this fascinating, since you said it doesn't make sense. Therefore, I'm intrigue in figuring out how this all went down. =D Plus, I like Little Paw a lot.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
Re: CLASSIC #18 [Little Paw Mini Expansion]

This was a delightful surprise! Little Paw helping the group was interesting for starters. I wonder how Sam got hurt. (guessing that's who it is, because Bryer isn't one who can handle seeing someone he loves or has special feelings for be hurt.) I also feel like this takes place in the future. I actually find this fascinating, since you said it doesn't make sense. Therefore, I'm intrigue in figuring out how this all went down. =D Plus, I like Little Paw a lot.

Yeah, the second half takes place sometime in the future, and we'll see how it happened at some point much later on! c:
Also, for your question in the voting thread: In Bryer's vision thing, yes! Their daughter was named after Emily.
Also also, thanks again for reading along and I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
CLASSIC #19 [Remembrance]

I wanted to write more in order to break away from my 'only post 1000 words per update', but I'm kind of just slugging along. Oh well, I'll try to pick the pace up a bit.

---

Remembrance

“Everything's gonna be okay.” I sobbed. “Stay with me, come on. Look we're almost there, just hang on alright?”
“Mmm.” The female voice answered.
“Keep your eyes open for me.” I could feel her weight on my back, almost smell the faint flowery sent that followed her everywhere.
“Bryer.” She said weakly. “Hey, hey Bryer.”
“Yeah?” The town was just ahead. If I could just get her in there, I could save her. Somehow, someway, I could get her through this.
“I love you.” I felt my eyes sting.
“D-don't say that. Not now.” Her head was now weighing down on my shoulder.
“I love you so much.”
“Emily--”
“Bryer, please. I need to hear you say it.” The town gates were just a few meters ahead, and I could already see one of the front guards rushing towards us while the others went to get help. I stopped walking, my exhaustion suddenly catching up with me. I carefully placed Emily on the floor and kneeled besides her. Oh gods, this is it, isn't it?
“I love you.” I breathed. “Don't leave me, Emily. Stay with me. Please.” I shut my eyes as tears welled up before I felt her soft hand caress my cheek.
“Thank you, Bryer. For everything.” As gentle as a slow tide, she pulled me closer to her as our lips connected for the very last time, then her arm fell limp besides me. No. No no no no. I had made it to the town! I was at the gate! I had saved her! I shut my eyes in saddened frustration. When I opened them back up, I found myself staring at Samantha's unmoving body laying in front of me.

I woke suddenly, but kept still. God damn it. As if that dream wasn't bad enough, now it's got an extended bonus scene. 'Director's cut,' I joked to myself, trying my best to not let it get me down, but how couldn't it? I reached towards my nightstand expecting a prepared cup of coffee, but found nothing waiting for me. Just another reminder that those days were over. Instead I stared at the ceiling, mulling things over. I hadn't drunk coffee ever since Emily's...ever since she's been gone. I'm still so used to having her wake up before me that I still expect a mug waiting for me. As I lay there, I couldn't help but feel as if something was watching me. I slowly looked up at my window and realized that I was, in fact, being observed....kind of. At the windowsill sat a small...fox thing? I'm not really sure what it was. It had orange fur that looked darkened by dirt and neglect, but something about the creature gave off an air of importance. I stared at it for a while and realized it was doing the same to me. It sat there unblinking, just peering into my room. Maybe it wanted to come in from the cold or something? Before I made a move, I noticed its right leg was shriveled up and possibly burned. I flinched as I noticed it and thought it might need some kind of medical attention. I stood from my bed and was about to make my way to it, but it hopped away from the window and out of sight. I rushed to the window and looked out, but I couldn't see any sign of the fox in the early morning fog. More importantly, my mind just realized from its still half asleep shell that my apartment was on the second floor, meaning the only way the fox could have been sitting by my windowsill was if it had been on the branch to the nearby tree. How would it have found a way up here with that damaged paw? I opened the window and stuck my head out. It wasn't too big of a drop, but climbing that tree would have been difficult for an animal without thumbs. I sighed before closing the window again. Maybe I had just imagined it? Either way, I doubted it mattered at all; probably just a random animal that found a way up. Hopefully the jump down didn't hurt it too badly. That burned paw didn't look like it could support much weight.

Putting the fox and dream incident behind me, I quickly got myself washed up and changed into my red jacket. Scarlet jacket. Whatever. I still needed to report what happened in the forest to Dyson, and thankfully Alice had agreed to come with me to help explain things more clearly than I would have. Though I expected her to be waiting at the Sword Guild, I was surprised to see her just outside my apartment building with two paper cups with lids on them.
“Alice?” I asked as she drank from one of them.
“Good morning, Bryer.” She answered, pushing the other cup at me. Coffee. Of course it was. “Chive told me you enjoy yours with two sugar and a small amount of milk.”
“Mmm.” The mage gave me a quizzical look that I knew meant she was looking for something.
“Chive lied.” She finally said, burrowing her brows.
“What?”
“You hate coffee, don't you?”
“Ye—well no, but I don't drink it anymore. How did you figure that out? Magic?”
“Your face made it obvious.” She told me, taking the cup back from me before tossing it into a nearby garbage bin. Now I feel bad; I'll have to pay her back somehow. We made our way to the Guild as she went on. “Actually, your whole face looks distressed. What happened?”
“Nothing.”
“Bryer, you're a bad liar.”
“No, really. I just...had a bad dream, I guess.” Instead of answering, Alice took another sip of her drink. “I never took you as a coffee person.” I said, trying to change the topic.
“You're not very tactful.” She answered, once again seeing right through my plans. Man, today just isn't my day. I expected her to end the conversation there, but was surprised when she went on. “It's tea. Jasmine, if you're curious.”
“I never could get into tea. Too bitter.”
“It's an acquired taste for some people. Try putting honey in it next time.”
“You're making small talk.” I told her.
“And?”
“It's weird. I'm used to you just being straight to the point.”
“Throughout our lives we trust less people than we have fingers on our hands,” the mage said, “you happen to be my ring finger.”
“That's probably the nicest thing you've ever said to me.”
“Most likely.”
“What's the nicest thing you've ever said to Chive?” Alice answered without missing a beat.
“'Don't have children.'” I couldn't help but laugh as the mage looked at me, confused. “It seemed like good advice.” She told me.
“You know something, Alice?” I said as I held the door to the Sword Guild open for her. “You're good people.”

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Re: CLASSIC #19 [Remembrance]

My heartstrings... you meanie! How am I suppose to handle a gut wrenching blow to my stomach with you distracting us with a mysterious fox with a burnt paw and Alice? I ache for more to read. I feel teased as a reader. But in a good way. xD Anyhow, I wonder if this is all leading up to something big? I couldn't help myself from laughing in amusement over the coffee situation though. Slightly peculiar, Alice wouldn't blink twice tossing a perfectly good cup of coffee. I don't drink coffee, but still... wasteful, I tells ya! How I've missed reading CLASSIC. I liked the brief alone time Bryer had with Alice after so long. A great chapter indeed.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
CLASSIC #20 [Remembrance]

I liked the brief alone time Bryer had with Alice after so long. A great chapter indeed
Writing Bryer and Alice is fun, lemme tell you. And boy something tells me you're going to enjoy what I've got set up later on...
---
As we made our way to Dyson's office, I couldn't help but feel as if something was off. Though I haven't known Alice for very long, it still felt as though she had always been there but as we walked into the hall leading to my superior’s office, I realized what it was. The fact that Alice had tea in her hands was so different from what I'm used to that it was throwing me off. She never has anything on her person, or at least, is always empty handed. She never even carries books with her and instead puts her items into a bag of holding which she puts into a smaller bag of holding that fits in her pockets. It was such a minute change that it shouldn't matter, but here I am staring at her paper cup overthinking it.
“You wouldn't like it.” Alice said aloud, breaking me away as we reached the door to Dyson's secretary. “If you didn't enjoy whatever tea you had in the past, I doubt you'll enjoy this one.”
“Huh?” I had no idea what she was talking about.
“Fine, try it.” In a surprisingly swift motion, the mage popped the lid off her cup and pressed it towards me. Confused, I took the tea from her as gingerly as possible and stared into the yellowish liquid. Though the color looked inviting, I wasn't a fan of the smell it gave off. Gathering a bit of courage, I took a small sip of the cup. ...uggghhyek... I shivered slightly as I returned Alice's drink.
“Too bitter.” I nearly coughed out, feeling like a child who had bitten into an unripe fruit.
“I told you you wouldn't like it.” She answered with a smile. I could almost see laughter behind her eyes as she opened the door.

We made our way to the secretary who was busy rummaging over some papers.
“Hi,” I told her, snapping her attention to us. “We're here to see Dyson?”
“Oh right.” She said sheepishly before reaching across her desk for a folder. “Um, let's see... You're Dryer, right?”
Bryer.” I corrected her. Damn it, Susan. I've only been coming into this office for a couple years now.
“Right sorry, uhhm...” Susan pulled out a few scraps of paper from the folder she was holding before continuing. “And you're...”
“Alice.” The mage said, cutting her off. Damn. I was wondering how she would mess up a simple name like 'Alice.'
“Okay...I think...Yeah, Dyson's ready to see you right now, actually.”
“What?!” I said, slamming my open palms on the counter, causing Susan to jump. Whoops.
“He—He's here right now. Ready.” She told me, holding the folder in front of her like a shield.
“Extraordinary.” Alice muttered as she took a sip. “Are we late?” She asked in a serious tone.
“N-no! Not at all!” The secretary said, turning the folder so that it instead shielded her from Alice. “I know it's difficult to believe, but he's just ready on time.”
“No way. I gotta see this.” I reached for the door next to us and opened it, revealing a bored looking Dyson sitting at his desk.
“Hey, you two.” He said as I entered. “Would you sit down!” He added, looking away from us. Following his gaze I saw Chive standing near a bookcase, about to pull out a random book.
“Oh thank the gods.” He cried. “You're finally 'ere.”
“What? What's going on?” I asked as Chive took a seat in front of Dyson's desk.
“I was kidnapped.” The thief said nonchalantly. “Picked off the street like a baby. Who woulda imagined?”
“I did not kidnap you!” Dyson said before addressing me. “I found him in the marketplace and decided to keep an eye on him in case he tried anything funny.”
“What kinda world is it where a guy can't even buy himself a piece o' fruit in peace?”
“...Anyway, I got a hold of him and brought him here, just to make sure he kept out of trouble.”
“I've been so bored, dude. All his books suck.”
“Is that why you were ready to see us in such short notice?” Alice said, taking her own seat as I followed suit, bumping my best friend's fist as I did so.
“Why do you have to put it like that?” Dyson said, taking a drink from his mug. “Want some?” He asked us. Bleh, more coffee.
“I'll grab some.” Chive said merrily. I wondered if he actually wanted coffee or if he was just trying to annoy Dyson. Either way, Susan came in with three mugs on a saucer before the man could object. Alice shook her head as the secretary entered, refusing the drink.
“I'm good.” I said, waving her away.
“You can leave the tray, sweet cheeks.” Chive said as he greedily took the saucer from her. She looked to Dyson who only sighed before nodding and rubbing his forehead. The thief placed the set on the Dyson's desk as Susan left the room, closing the door behind her. “What, no biscuits?” chive asked, dejected.
“Can we get on with this?” Dyson asked before looking at me. “Okay, just...just start talking. Tell us what happened in that forest.”

I did my best to tell the group a brief overview of what happened to me in the last two weeks, leaving out little details like how close Samantha and I had become.
“...And it just kinda melted away. No stench, no puddle of slime, nothing. All that was left was the core thing and whatever slime had gotten on my clothes.”
“Did you get any on your face?” Chive asked.
“Little bit, yeah.”
“What'd it taste like? Think you can put it on toast?”
“About this dream,” Alice said before the line of questioning went any further, “what do you remember about it?”
“Nothing much. Like I said, it's just a blur now. I know I wasn't very happy when I woke up. All I know for sure was that I was in the forest...I think.” The mage only nodded once at me. “Why? What's up?”
“This is just a theory, but there are some monsters in the world that use illusions to distract or incapacitate their foes. Most of these illusions are harmless, and I believe the one this slime was using was forcing you to see what you most desire.”
“How'd you get to that line of thinkin', witch?” Chive asked, downing the second cup of coffee.
“Because Bryer was miserable when he woke. Had it been a negative illusion, he would have been relieved to escape from it. Frightened at first maybe, but overall he would have been glad to leave it behind. Either that or his mind would have shattered.” That's a scary thought. “But instead he was sad to leave. Feelings left behind from a dream that he could never get back. It's easy to imagine his mind blocking away whatever he had seen.”

Then what had I seen? I looked at Chive who was about to reach for the third and final mug of coffee.
“Whoa dude,” he told me, “you weren't dreamin' 'bout me, I hope.” I shook my head in dismissal. “Shame.” He joked.
“It's just a theory, however,” Alice went on, “there's no real way to test it unless...” The mage blinked in realization. “The elf.”
“Elf?” I asked.
“The one you found. The one that led you to Evehom.”
“Saman—OH.”
“She was most likely attacked by the same creature, thus was exposed to the same tactic as you were.” I stood from my chair suddenly, fully aware of where this was going.
“I'll find her and ask her.”
“...Wait, why?” Chive asked.
“What?”
“What would be the point, dude? She can't tell ya what you forgot. 'Snot like she was there or anything.” Damn, he was right.
“That may be true,” Alice said, “however if she had suffered from the same attack, she might have more information. I'd like to go with you as well.”
“Hold on, hold on,” Dyson moaned. “You can't both go in there? Don't you remember what I told you? Only one person per party. Who knows what happens if more than one of you went in there together.”
“I think that was bad info.” I told him. “Sam and I walked around together in the forest and nothing happened to us. Plus I doubted the other elves went around by themselves.”
“Sam?” Chive asked.
“Samantha. My...elf friend.”
“I agree with what Bryer was saying and want to add that the information we have on the forest is largely outdated. What we know now was from a world without readily available transportation, back when people relayed on caravans and traveling on foot.” The two of us looked at Dyson, who looked between the two of us before sighing.
“Fine, do what you want.” I looked down at Chive who had already finished the the last mug of coffee.
“You coming with us, buddy?”
“Uh.” He looked at me before bringing his gaze to Alice, then back to me. “Pass. I need to do some more stuff for the Band. Plus, I don't want to go pokin' my nose in a village fulla people that might not like me since I can't speak a lick of their language.”
“No worries. Alice and I can deal with this.” She nodded once and was about to stand when the door opened suddenly.
“S-sir!” Susan shrieked, her face ablaze.
“Oh come on, Susan,” Dyson growled, “we're in the middle of something.”
“Yes, b-but she's back.”
“She?” I asked, raising and eyebrow. Before she could answer, the secretary moved from the door making room for the newcomer. I heard the clanking of armor as the person walked into the room. Long red hair flowed behind her as I looked into her fiery eyes. She was adorned with red armor and the sword that hung from her hips had seen more victories than I could ever imagine. I heard Chive let out a silent gasp as my mind pieced together who was standing in front of me. “The Scarlet Lightning Bolt.” I whispered.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Re: CLASSIC #20 [Remembrance]

CD-Mann said:
Writing Bryer and Alice is fun, lemme tell you. And boy something tells me you're going to enjoy what I've got set up later on...

You're such a tease! How am I suppose to wait more patiently, if you do that? xD

Okay, okay... this just...wow. I love Bryer and Alice becoming a dynamic duo to take on anything inside of the forest. The Scarlet Lightning Bolt took me by surprise at the end; she wouldn't happen to be someone's mother, would she? Also, I love how Chive was kidnapped by Dyson. Susan sure is a forgetful secretary. I wonder if she has short term memory loss? Also, Chive mentioned a "band". I interpret this either as an actual band or a band of thieves he likes to mess around with for fun and go on missions to steal things. So much happened in this chapter! I need more! =D

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
CLASSIC #21 [Remembrance]

I need more! =D

Ask and ye shall receive. And yeah, the Band Chive was talking about is the Band of Thieves.
---

"Mylene.” Dyson said, standing from his chair.
“Hello, Dyson. Bryer. Chive. Young lady.”
“Hi.” Chive said, astonished.
“How do you do. My name is Alice Reyes. I take it you're Mylene Alma?”
“Yes.” My mother said seriously, her face an enigma to me. “I have just returned from Tetus on a mission of peace. Extending an olive branch, if you will.”
“And how did...well, I'll find out when you give me your report, I assume.” Dyson told her, leaning on his desk. “I didn't expect you to be back so soon, Mylene. It's a bit of a surprise.”
“I did not expect it either,” she answered, her face still very stoic, “yet her I am.” Mylene reached behind her, pulling down the bag she had strapped around her back before producing a rustic folder. “My report.” She explained simply before handing it to Dyson, her light armor clanking with every step. Dyson took it and began opening it before stopping suddenly.
“I think I'll read it over in a little bit, actually. It's a lot to go over, and I doubt I'll have enough time to do so today.”
“It's quite a read.” The Scarlet Lightning Bolt told him, crossing her arms. “Though my mission was as simple as 'find one person', it quickly turned into 'protect these people with the help of that same person.' Needless to say, it was an adventure.” That sounded familiar. “At any rate. Dyson?”
“Huh? I—I mean, yes?”
“I need you to leave us for a few minutes.”
“What?”
“I need you. To leave us. Just for a few minutes.” She repeated.
“I...” The man looked at the woman before turning to us. He finally scratched the back of his head before nodding. “Alright. I need to get some paperwork sorted before bringing it in anyway. Come on, Susan.” The secretary flinched at the sound of her name, and I'll admit I completely forgot she was even in here. Some people just don't stand out I guess. I watched on as Dyson left along with Susan, kicked out of his own office. As the door closed behind him, I looked up to my mother as a bead of sweat formed on my forehead.

“So,” Mylene said, removing the plate of scarlet armor to reveal her pinkish undershirt. She let the armor fall to the ground as it clanged noisily, and a split second later my mother rushed towards me, embracing me tightly.
“Oh my goodness my little boooy!” She cried happily as I struggled to find a pocket of air. “I can't believe it, look at how handsome you've become! Have you been eating well? Washing your clothing and weaponry?”
“M...Mom,” I gasped “Can't breathe.”
“It feels like it's been ages even though it's only been a few months!” She went on, oblivious to my struggle as she nuzzled the top of my head, “I still can't believe it! Captain of the Seventh Division!” I felt her look upwards as her hold on me let up slightly, giving me some literal breathing room. “And Chivey too!”
“What's up, Mee-Mee?” He asked happily.
“Keeping out of trouble?”
“Not at all.”
“Classic Chive.” My mom finally let go of me as I gasped for air. “Oops. Sorry, sweetheart.”
“It's good.” I gasped, “I'm good. Alive.” I looked up at her and smiled. “It's good to see you, mom.”
“Aw, it's good to see you too, Bry-bry.” I heard Alice clear her throat behind my mother, probably unsure of how to react to everything happening. “Oh!” Mom said, turning around, “Sorry! I'm sorry. You said your name was Alice, right?”
“Yes.” The mage said, extending her arm. “It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Alma.” Instead of taking her hand, Mylene stared at Alice for a few seconds before whipping back towards me.
“Bryer, she's perfect!” She whispered. ...Or at least I think she thought she was whispering. She was actually really loud. “She's so polite and pretty. She looks a little older than you, but that's alright! She's a mage too, isn't she? That means she must be smart! How did you find her? When are you getting married?”
“M—mom!” I cried, “No this isn't—we aren't—! Chive, help me out here!”
“I'm stayin' out of this.” He told me seriously, backing away.
“A—Alice? You wanna clear this...” I looked at the mage only to find her covering her entire face with one hand, obscuring it completely. Was she...showing emotion? I couldn't tell, but for a second I thought I saw a hint of red behind her hand. “We...aren't like that.” I told my mom. “Just, you know, friends.”
“That's correct.” Alice said, removing her hand to reveal her usual expression. So much for emotions. “I have been helping Bryer and the Sword Guild for a while now, though my actual position is in The Library.”
“Awww.” My mother sighed, resting her chin on her hand. “That's such a shame. You two would make a cute couple. Oh well.”
“Uh, so, anyway, how long have you been back?” I asked, trying to change the subject before it got too awkward.
“Just now. I haven't even gone home yet, I wanted to make sure Dyson got my report before anything. You know how he can get. I was worried he might lose it if I handed it to one of the secretaries, so I wanted to give it to him in person.” I chuckled to myself. That sounds like something that could actually happen.

“Anyway, I can't wait for you to tell me what you have been up to! It's been a long time since we've just had a chat, hasn't it?” My mom was practically bouncing on her heels as she said this.
“Yeah, we'll have to set some time to talk. How about—”
“What about right now? Are you busy?”
“Uh...Actually, yeah. We need to get to Evehom—“
“You're going to Evehom?! But you can't speak Elvish!”
“Actually...well, it's a long story, but yeah, I can.” I ended in the aforementioned language to get the point across. My mom stood there stunned, her jaw dropping.
“Amazing! With a perfect accent as well! How long did it take you?”
“...That's part of the story, actually.” The door opened again, and Susan's head popped in, completely unsure of herself.
“Um, I'm sorry to interrupt—”
“What is it, Susan?” My mother said in her 'serious voice' while staring dead center at the secretary's eyes.
“Um! I-I-I just...Dyson will need his office back soon! And there's a message waiting for you as well!”
“I understand. We'll be done in just a minute.” Susan let out a whimper as she slowly closed the door. “I love doing that!” My mother whispered with a smile. “Haven't been able to scare her in ages!”
“Think of it as a welcoming present.” Chive chuckled. “Speakin' of which. I managed to get a holda the piece you asked for before you left.”
“Through legal means, I assume.” Mylene asked seriously.
“'Course it was legal.” She nodded in response.
“Sorry, what?” I asked. “Piece? What did you have Chive find you?”
“It's a surprise, sweetheart.” She answered. “But I guess our reunion’s over for now. That message is probably important.” My mother gently grabbed my head before kissing my forehead. “Bye, Bry-Bry. We'll talk soon, okay?”
“Alright. Bye mom.”
“See you, Chive.”
“Later, Mee-Mee!”
“It was nice meeting you, Alice. Please give my son a chance.”
“Farewell, Mylene.” Alice answered.
“I'm serious. He's a good kid who needs someone that—”
“OKAY BYE NOW!” I cried, nudging her towards the door.
“He responds well to food.” My mother told Alice as we passed her. “Meat, mostly. Try giving him something spicy.”
“I'm a level 20 vegetarian now.” I joked as we reached the door. “I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.”
“What would you eat then?” Mylene asked.
“Slimes!” Chive chimed.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Re: CLASSIC #21 [Remembrance]

CD-Mann said:
Ask and ye shall receive. And yeah, the Band Chive was talking about is the Band of Thieves.

Thank you! Such a speedy update too! =D

I love Bryer's mom. lol. xD I thought she had something serious to say when she wanted to be alone with Bryer, Chive, and Alice. Oh gosh, I can't help to crack up at the personality switch. I wonder if the piece could be a birthday present for Bryer? Just a random guess, I have. Now I really want to meet Bryer's father, cause if his mom is like this... could he be the serious one of the two? I loved it when Chive chimed in about the "Slimes." This chapter was funny and Mylene might become my new favorite character. Don't tell Alice I said that. xD

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
CLASSIC #22 [Remembrance]

As my two friends and I walked down the small staircase leading to the Sword Guild, I couldn't help but smile. Though my morning had started rough, it had quickly turned for the better after seeing my mother again. It really had been a long time since she'd been home; I'll have to make sure to put some time aside to talk with her.
“You're mother is quite interesting.” Alice told me.
“Is that your way of saying weird? Sorry about the whole...well, you know.”
“I take no offense to it, though she does seem rather eccentric.”
“She ain't usually so loud,” Chive said, butting his head between us, “I'm guessin' it's just 'cause she's been gone for so long. She didn't have an outlet or nothin' so now that she's back, it's kinda overflowing.”
“Talking from experience?” I asked, half-jokingly.
“You know it.”
“HEY!” We turned around quickly to see Dyson at the front of the building. “I'M MISSING A BOOK!” Alice and I stared at Chive, who looked genuinely confused.
“What? What's that gotta do with us?”
“Don't play with me, thief,” Dyson told him as he approached us, “Just hand it over.”
“I ain't got your dumb book, dude.”
“Then prove it, empty your bag.” Chive sighed at this.
“Man, you're so lame. This'll take forever. Fine,” The thief bowed to a ridiculously low level before continuing, “lead me to your room so that I may show you my wares, oh Guildy one.” Dyson gripped Chive by the shoulder before leading him back into the Sword Guild. “Hey, didja know there are over 100 ways for me to escape this hold? At least a quarter of them involve killing you!” Dyson only glared back, though this didn't stop Chive's antics. “There are also roughly 30 ways for me to bust out of your office. 45 if I get lucky and find an empty box.”

I found myself at the edge of the forest with Alice by my side. Instead of following up with Dyson and Chive, we had decided to leave them alone and have them sort out their own problems. Chive was smarter than to just steal a book from Dyson, and Dyson himself probably knew that. Susan must have misplaced it or something, so it wasn't really worth the time to wait on, as Alice was quick to point out to me on the way here. I looked at the forest entrance for a moment. It had just been about two days since I had last stepped inside, but I found myself a little nervous. Maybe it was because I was bringing Alice into the Elven village when they hardly trusted me at all. Maybe it was because of how my last goodbye went with Sam. I brought my fingertips to my lips as the memory surfaced, forgetting all about the company I had brought along.
“Is there something on your mind?” Alice asked as she walked ahead of me.
“Uh? N-nah. Not really.” The mage stared at me as she passed, and I could have sworn I saw a small smile on her face as she turned to the forest. Maybe it was because of her? After the events in Fayfield, Alice had always been there for us—always been there for me. There have been a lot of minor things that have happened since then, and she had always lent a hand. It was difficult for me to think of going back to not having her around. Yet, I don't think we had ever really stopped to talk. Whenever we met, it had always been behind closed doors with officials like Dyson, or communicating through her magic speak stone thingy. I guess I didn't really know a whole lot about her, nor her about me. I pushed those thoughts aside as I caught up to the mage and walked along side her.

We walked in silence for the first few minutes, sticking to the main road some brave soul had carved out for everyone. Alice seemed to focus on the thick leaves above us as we walked, though once or twice she stopped to examine a flower or herb that had been growing along a tree. She even plucked out a lone mushroom and handed it to me.
“Eat it,” she told me, “it's a rare fungi that increases one's physical strength.” I looked the small greyish mushroom over before popping it into my mouth. “Either that or it'll kill you.” She added, causing me to spit the mushroom out as fast as I possibly could. The look on my face must have been amazing because she immediately gave me a grin I had never seen before. “Joking. It's just a normal mushroom. Like the ones they sell at that restaurant you often frequent.”
“I thought it looked familiar.” I said, trying to play off the prank. “I didn't realize you weren't above jokes.”
“I enjoy humor on occasion. Especially if it's at Chive's expense.”
“Mm.” I kicked the mushroom back into the darkened area of the forest as we continued on our way. It might have been my imagination, but the forest looked a bit lighter than it had before. That wasn't to say that there was any real daylight breaking in; the foliage above us still blocked out any rays that dared enter, but it didn't seem as dark in here.
“May I ask you something?”
“You just did.” I told her, fighting the urge to stick my tongue out like a kid getting payback.
“Very well, may I ask two more things? One of which is rather serious.”
“Yeah? What's up?” Alice paused for a second, as if thinking of how to word her question, or if she should even ask it at all.
“What happened to your last lover?”

I felt my throat clench slightly as her question struck me like hollow metal ball.
“...I...”
“I'm sorry.” She said, “I debated on whether or not to ask that. I see now it was a mistake.”
“No...No, nah it's alright. I just... didn't really expect that, I guess.” I cleared my throat before continuing. At least I was getting better at talking about this. People always did tell me it was a good idea to get stuff off my chest, after all. “Her name was Emily Pale. We were in the Sword Guild together before she was...struck down. I was with her, but couldn't save her. For a long time I blamed myself, but I've realized that it wasn't my fault...or at least, I've started to tell myself it wasn't.”
“I see.” The mage told me as she handed me a small bottle of water, which I took a small sip from. It tasted...pure. “I only ask because of how Mylene acted towards me.”
“Aw man. Sorry again about that.”
“It is of no issue...however...” I handed the bottle back to her as she looked into my eyes. She almost dared me to look away. “What would you say if I told you I could bring her back?” I took a step backwards, my heart suddenly pounding.
“Wh...what?”
“You know what I was studying in Feyfield. Life and death are mere portals to me.” I felt a heavy bead of sweat slide down my cheek as Alice's eyes concentrated on me.
“Necromancy's... a tricky thing.” I said shakily, remembering the reanimated lion I had fought. “No. I...no, she wouldn't...want this.”
“Wouldn't want to be with her love?”
“Not like this.” Alice held her gaze before sighing with a smile.
“You are very level-headed.” She said, satisfied. “Some people would jump on opportunities like that without weighing the consequences. Bringing someone back is never simple, easy, or clean. Rarely does it ever favor anybody to be honest. I apologize for bringing it up, however you were in the right to say what you did.”
“Why do you keep testing me like this?” I asked, a hint of poison in my words.
“I need to see what kind of person you are. Getting the truth is never easy.”
“And what truth have you found so far?”
“That you are the type of person who is worthy to be my ring finger, or indeed, anybody's ring finger.”
“Is that your way—“
“Yes. It's my way of saying you are a good friend, and a good person at heart who most likely gives himself too little credit.”
“...Just checking.”

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Re: CLASSIC #22 [Remembrance]

Alice! What am I going to do with you?! I loved this chapter because we had some alone time with her and Bryer. They're so awesome together. Curious why a missing book would matter so much to Dyson. Foreshadowing of a plot at hand? *u* Anyhow, I loved the joke Alice played on Bryer until she asked the more serious question. I'm actually surprised Alice would even propose such a thing. And Alice is right to think of Bryer a good person with a level head. Can't wait for more like always!

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Re: CLASSIC #22 [Remembrance]

God, I just binge read the hell out of this! (although you knew that).

Reviews!

Forgotten Forest: Amazing. I had read the first four chapters of it of course back during our challenges, and then a little bit beyond that, but now that I have read it in it's entirety I must say, I really love how it turned out. The relationship between Bryer and Samantha is great because it feels natural. I love how Bryer even mentioned that her liking him was probably mostly because he was fresh and new, yet it still just feels good, definitely like there is a potential there. Though you have an evil way of making me feel secure in what might become of them, and then later bring up stuff like Emily, or remind me of the chemistry between Bryer and Alice. I think it comes down to the fact that Bryer is the kind of character that spins and meshes well with everyone, even his enemies, which is an excellent thing. I have to make note that I am amazed at how similarly drawn in I can get to completely different situations as well. I felt just like I was there experiencing it as Bryer had his silly moments further back in the expansion playing with Samantha's ears, or pretending to be asleep as she snuck out of the room, as I did when he was lost in slime limbo with his newfound "family." I truly felt pain when Bryer felt pain. I could feel my chest welling up as he had to leave behind a daughter that wasn't even real, and a happy life with someone he just made a very important connection with. All in all, it ended very well, and there was no fucking way you were going to write all of this during the three day challenge (hahaha).

Little Paw: Very interesting indeed. I am intrigued in the foreshadowing (which seemed to be the highlight of this one-shot expansion), yet I was very tickled in the coming chapter when the events overlapped with the fox watching Bryer sleep. It was well written, and is one of the biggest things keeping me guessing at the moment. I'll keep an eye out for this to come back in the future.

Remembrance: And here we stand, me all caught up, reading a couple months worth of CLASSIC in a couple hours. Color me impressed, this story has so much humor, emotion, and character driving it forward at all times. Remembrance has just begun, but already I am excited to see Alice meet Samantha, watch the Elves as they continue to react to Bryer, and see how Bryer's relationship with Samantha ends up. Will they go further? That kiss between them makes me hope so. But a part of me also likes the spark I see between him and Alice. And what of Emily? I suspect she won't actually be brought back to life considering Bryer's reaction to the suggestion, but what better way to create a love triangle/square than to throw the old love interest in the mix. Whether anything actually comes of it isn't as important as the fact that either way, Emily is still getting to Bryer now and then. Hopefully he can move past it and find something new with Samantha, but we'll have to see what happens! (I wonder who Mylene would prefer for Bryer, Alice or Samantha?)

All in all, I think it's saying something that I can be excited for so much, yet have no clue what new and wondrous things are actually in store. I'm sorry it took me so long to catch up on this man, but you know I won't fall behind again. After all, this is good stuff, and now I can keep on you to push forward and make sure you don't slack off.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
CLASSIC #23 [Remembrance]

Well Max, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. :p
For real though, I'm glad you and KK have been enjoying this. It's good to know that I haven't lost my edge yet.

And what of Emily? I suspect she won't actually be brought back to life considering Bryer's reaction to the suggestion, but what better way to create a love triangle/square than to throw the old love interest in the mix. Whether anything actually comes of it isn't as important as the fact that either way, Emily is still getting to Bryer now and then. Hopefully he can move past it and find something new with Samantha, but we'll have to see what happens! (I wonder who Mylene would prefer for Bryer, Alice or Samantha?)
I wasn't going to address this directly, but if we're working off the assumption that the slime showed Bryer what he most wanted in life (which we are) then isn't it odd that Emily herself was not present? I was going to show this much later on, but Bryer has moved on from Emily. He himself doesn't realize it, but what he wants most of all is to settle down and become a family man. He probably won't realize that for a long long while. Memories of Emily haunt him, but that's because ever since her death he has yet to find anyone to really fill the hole she left. A part I have planned for the end of this expansion will show that Sam will slowly begin filling that empty space.
Time for more mixtures of silliness and seriousness.
---
I don't consider myself an expert on this forest—far from it—but I knew the way to Evehom well enough to lead us without any real issues. There were a few times that I doubted myself, but it didn't take too long for us to face the large wooden border that guarded the village.
“I see.” Alice mumbled to herself, most likely perceiving whatever ancient magic had been used to cause the wood to act the way it did. I looked up and down at the spear gates, but all I saw was wood. While I saw nothing out of the ordinary, Alice's eyes instead showed her the truth. It was no wonder thieves hated magic.
“I gotta say, I'm kinda jealous.” I said, causing her to tilt her head in my direction. “Like, you have all this crazy power I can't even comprehend, and all I've got is a sword.”
“I thought you were learning how to use a bow as well?”
“Right sorry. You might have arcane might, but I've got some steel and some flying bits of wood that fall short of their mark.”
“The grass is always greener, Bryer.” The mage told me as she gently rubbed the smooth pillar of wood ahead of us.
“What do you mean?”
“I might have this power, but it wasn't easy to obtain, nor is it easy to contain.”
“Contain?” Alice halted her movement in a moment of consideration before continuing.
“Yes. I'll share with you my story some other time. My point being that this power can be less than favorable at times.”
“Yeah?”
“Mmm.” The mage kept her hand still against the magical gate again. “This gate, for instance. I can follow the magical threads left behind. It shows me the history of this place. I can see the reasons for placing such charms on this place.”
“To keep the village safe, right?”
“Yes, but safe from whom?”
“Well...I dunno, wolves and other wildlife?”
“Most forest animals are startled by fire. Simply lighting bonfires through the night would have been enough to ensure safety during the night, while being in a large group with weapons would be sufficient during the day. No, it was something else.”
“Like what?”
“Think on it, Bryer. Who lives here? Or rather, who doesn't live here?”
“Well, humans don't go into the forest...”
“And why do you think that is?” I remembered briefly something that Sam had told me. Something about how the elves feared humans. I was also reminded of my mother returning from her mission of peace from Tetus, the continent filled with Elves.
“Alice...what happened here? Between humans and elves?” The mage looked at me, her face was blank, though that seemed to be enough.
“Something awful.” She told me. “Something humans regret. It is a deep source of shame for them... For us... Something of which we are still attempting to atone for.”
“I...Why haven't I heard of it? I'm a captain of the Sword Guild, you would think...!”
“You would, wouldn't you? So deep are the scars of the past that the older generation, the ones responsible, would rather carry the burden by themselves and attempt to atone by their lonesome without considering how this would effect their children.”
“Mylene, my mom--”
“Would have told you in due time, I'm sure. Taking into account her mission, as well as your sudden interest in Evehom, there is little doubt she would want you to know the truth,” I nodded in agreement.
“Yeah.”

“At any rate, this gate won't open for us.” Alice said, suddenly bringing me back to reality. “It seems as if it only opens to those the villagers truly trust. Your elf friend, for example.”
“Man, you can tell? Seriously? I'm still a bit jealous.”
“I can teach you, if you're serious.”
“What? You mean magic?!”
“Yes. I mean magic.” She repeated with a smile. “It won't be at all easy, especially since you are not young, but I can feel the potential inside of you.”
“Will I be able to shoot fireballs from my hand?!”
“No...that's highly advanced. It takes many days, months, possibly years worth of studying to get to that level.”
“Hoo boy.” I felt exhausted just by the thought. “You sure about that potential thing? I'm just a swordsman.”
“And yet you have the heart of a lion. We can discuss this at another time if you'd like.”
“Right, okay.” I looked back at the impenetrable wall that blocked us. “So it only opens up to those trusted by the village?”
“Correct.”
“Well, damn. I guess saving the chief's granddaughter twice wasn't enough to earn their favor, huh? Usually I would have run into Samantha by this point, so I've never had it reject me.”
“If that's the case, we might be in for a long wait. If she is inside the village, we'll have to wait for her to exit. Likewise, if she is out in the forest, we'll have to wait for her to return.”
“Wait, you said you saw magic potential inside of me or whatever, right?”
“Indeed.”
“Alright, lemme try something.” I walked in front the gates and took a fighter's pose before outstretching an open palm towards it. “Ancient powers that be! I command you to open! Grant me access to your village!” A sudden gust of wind blew passed me, causing my coat to sway backwards. I felt something begin to rumble as Alice raised an eyebrow in surprise, and I stood stock still, waiting for something to happen.
“I think that's the loudest I've ever heard anyone's stomach rumble.” Alice commented, which made me sigh in response. Looks like my debut as a prodigy mage was not meant to be.
“I skipped breakfast.” I told her, lowering my arm.
“Did you expect that to actually work?” She asked, pulling out her bag of holding.
“Well, I mean...it was worth a shot...Man, that's depressing.” The mage fished something out from her bag before handing it to me.
“It's dried meat.” She explained. “Your mother said you enjoyed meat, didn't she? It might not be spicy, but it should suffice.”
“Please don't encourage her behavior.” I told her, defeated. “Thank you, though. I didn't realize how starving I was.”
“Since it appears waiting is our only real option, may I make a suggestion? Lead me to the area where you defeated the slime creature. I'm curious about this core you mentioned.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back