• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

CLASSIC [Magical Library Expansion]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
beep beep
---
After breakfast I decided to take Sam with me to visit Alice. It wasn't often I could help her out in any way, and Sam was more than willing to explore a new area. The walk to the Guild was largely uneventful though as we reached the front steps, we saw a peculiar sight.
“Isn't that the bandit?” Sam pointed toward a man near the front door juggling three brightly colored balls. A bowler hat sat upside down in front of him with a few coins gleaming from within.
“He's not a band-- wait, that really is Chive!” I dragged Sam with me despite her protests and met up with my friend.
“Mornin,' Bry-Bry. Heya, Sammy. What's up?”
“Your balls, apparently.” This got a smirk out of him though he kept his attention on the tri-colored spheres. “What are you doing?”
“Well, I figured I was t' pay a visit t' the Magical Library, yeah?”
“I'm with you so far.”
“But I can't exactly go in by m'self now, can I? So I decided to wait out here fer ya. And lookit, there ya are!”
Sam asked, “You didn't want to go in by yourself?”
“No way, sweetie. Guy like me ain't go no business goin' in there by myself. A known member of t' Band o' Thieves wandering the halls of the Magical Library? There'd be panic on the streets.”
“So you are a bandit!”
“Listen, love,” Chive dropped his gaze from the balls to meet Sam's eyes for a second, “I'm a professional, yeah? Professionals have standards. We only steal things from people who can afford to have it missin'. Like some rich broad's fourth pair o' diamond earrings or a snob's piece o' art. We get requests too but the point is we don't go village t' village raidin' folks. Bandits are so low on t' food chain that they might as well be trash.”
“Oh. Sorry, I guess,” Sam mumbled as a passerby dropped a bronze coin into Chive's hat.
“Cheers,” he winked at the passing woman, “and no worries, Sam. Just had t' clear t' air.”
“But you decided to be a street performer for a day? Like, you brought all this stuff with you?”
“Nah. These aren't my balls. Not sure whose they are, now that I think o' it. That hat isn't either, but the money in it sure is.”
I sighed, “I don't think I wanna ask.”
“You sure don't. Wanna get goin'?”

The Port Point Room was just as dark as ever when we entered it. It was still such a bizarre experience to not have Alice around with us whenever we delved into anything magical, and seeing the walls lined with archways only cemented that fact into my head. I saw a person's silhouette n the center of the room and still expected it to be her, but as it drew closer I realized it was Vin, just like the day before.
“Captain Alma. Good morning,” he bowed. His movement was stiff and awkward, almost as if he was nervous about something
“Just Bryer is fine, Vin.”
“Of course. What brings you and your friends here today?”
“I thought your specialty was visions?”
“Yes, well, I feel as if it is rude to simply scry other people's personal lives,” Vin ended his sentence with a small shiver.
“You alright, Vinny?” Chive asked, “You're lookin' a bit...pale. Paler than most mages, anywho.”
“I'm quite alright, I assure you. However I feel as though there is a constant negative feeling shrouding me.”
“A negative feeling?” I was more than a little curious about what he meant.
“Yes. I cannot say what it is, however I feel as though the Magical Library is involved.”
“That's where we're heading, actually.”
“Is that so? Please be wary of any strange occurrences, though it's most likely nothing to worry about. The Library has many incantations and charms to ward off any attack or invasion from outside so there shouldn't be anything to worry about. That being said, I can't shake this feeling. Please be careful.”
“We will, thanks.” Vin led us to one of archways and instantly opened the port point. In a flash of light, the large stairway leading to the Library appeared before us and we quietly walked through the portal. The sudden sunlight was a large contrast to the room's dim lighting and I had to cover my eyes for a second while I adjusted. Though the stairs appeared vast, I already knew it wouldn't take us long to reach the top.
“Wait, we gotta climb all those stairs?!” Samantha, however, did not.
“Calm down, the stairs have some kind of teleportation spell on them so we'll reach the top quickly.”
“If we're going to be teleported to the top anyway, why not make the port point bring us to the top of the stairs to begin with?”
“Because, uh...” I looked to Chive for an answer, but he only shrugged.
“Ya got us, lady. These fellas got a weird way o' doin' things.” We spent the short climb in silence until we reached the imposing doorway. Just like yesterday, the same woman stood before it with the same habit-like hat.
“Oh heavens. There's more of them this time,” she mumbled as we approached.
“Hi again,” I waved, “yeah there's more of us. But hey, look at what we got!” I flashed the paper slips Chive had given us last night. “From King Blueshire himself.” She took the items from my hand and inspected them closely. “You...uh, doubt us?”
“Trust but verify,” she explained as the slips of paper burst into flames, startling us. The gatekeeper waved the flames away and revealed the paper slips to be unharmed. “Ah, good. These are genuine.”
“Can we get an explanation now?” She offered the slips back, which I took.
“These are created in such a way that they cannot be destroyed by magical flames. Fake passes would not have this same quality,” The woman stepped aside. Behind her, the right hand door slid open, allowing us access. “Go on in, then.”

As the door closed behind us, Samantha sighed in agitation.
“I don't think I liked her very much.”
“Think about it from 'er perspective, yeah? She's gotta stand in front of a door all day for 'er job or somethin'. Or as part of 'er training. That can't leave anyone in good spirits.”
“I guess, but--” The darkness that surrounded us was illuminated slowly by blue flames that dotted the walls. Their torches lit up in pairs, the closest ones lighting up before the farther ones did the same until the hallway was completely visible. The spectacle of the magical experience was enough to stun Sam into silence, and even Chive let out a low whistle as he inspected the torches.
“Fancy.”
“This is incredible! How did they know to light the torches for us like that?!”
“They didn't,” I walked ahead of the pair and towards the main hub, “it's magic. You know, the unexplained ether or whatever.”
“'Or whatever' he says,” Chive laughed.
“Like you know any more than I do about it.”
“Fair enough mate. I should be countin' my blessings that I'm in 'ere at all. 'S not like I'd ever be able to sneak in 'ere or nothin'.”
“Are these all real books?” Sam reached for the wall to her right and slid a tome off from the shelves. She scanned a random page before making a disgusted face. “Gross, I didn't want to know the boiling point of a live frog.”
“Could come in handy, Sammy! Never know when you'll find yourself lost in 'he woods with nothin' but frogs to eat.”
“But live frogs? That's gotta be for some kind of potion or something.” Sam shivered as she placed the book back into its slot. I couldn't help but giggle at the similar experience I had yesterday.
“Oh wait,” I stopped in my tracks, forcing Chive to bump into my shoulder.
“Little warning next time, mate.”
“Sorry. I just realized I have no idea where I'm going.”
“Beg pardon?”
“I don't know the layout of this place. When I was here yesterday, Mylene dragged me directly to Alice's room.” I led us to the large circular room just beyond the entry hallway. The ivory setting still amazed me, and I heard Sam gasp behind me. Just like before I stared up to the winding staircases that seemed to go on forever, the golden tips on the railings reminding me of regal manors. “I guess I'll just have to ask the person at the front desk or something,” I was about to step forward but just as I made a move, someone caught my eye. Her black hair bounced as she bounded down the stairs and the second she noticed me, Alex's smile grew wider. She gave me a wave before jogging the rest of the way down.
“Friend o' yours?” Chive asked.
“Something like that, yeah.”
“Mind introducing me? She's a cutie.”
“Down, boy.” Chive responded by licking his right index finger and thumb before spreading them against his eyebrows in a quick attempt to straighten them.
“Ruff.” Sam, on the other hand, pushed herself to my side and pressed herself closer to me as Alex approached us, her white Royal Guard armor shining off the available light.
“Hello again, Alexis,” I said.
“Just Alex is fine, Captain Alma,” she extended her right hand, which I shook.
“And just Bryer is fine, Alex.” I was getting tired of saying that line.
“Of course. Are these friends of yours?”
“Yeah, these are--”
“Allow me to introduce myself, madam,” Chive pushed passed me and produced a sudden air of aristocracy as he bowed, “I am the esteemed Duke Chive Cloc of the House of Cloc. A very regarded and noble house in Blueshire.”
“Sorry, the House of Cloc?”
“Indeed,” he took Alex's right hand and softly brought his lips to it. The fact that it was covered in a gauntlet didn't seem to phase him at all.
“You'll have to forgive me, I've never heard of such a House.”
“Yes well, you see we're quite secretive. Our wealth knows no bounds and it wouldn't do to have others pity themselves while beholding our blessings.”
“No, I mean I know all of the dukes and duchesses in Blueshire and Cloc name doesn't ring any bells.”
“N...no?”
“Not in a noble sense anyway. However I am aware of such a name in the Band of--”
“Yeah! Alright, alright, slow yer roll lady!” Chive's facade broke instantly and he reverted back to his usual self. “Geez, you didn't tell me she was smart, Bry-Bry.”
“Bry-Bry?” Alex repeated.
“I thought you knew better than to use your real name when lying,” I ignored Alex's quizzical look at my nick name. “Anyway, Chive this is Alex from the Royal Guard. Alex, this is Chive. Don't take anything he says seriously and don't leave your stuff lying around near him.”
“Take one little drink and the man never lets it go,” he shrugged.
“Chive, that was--! ...Not important. Alex, this is Samantha,” I motioned to Sam who was sticking to me like glue, “do you know of Eveholm? The village in the Bluefield Forest? Sam is a resident from there.”
“Yes of course,” Alex held her hand out to Sam, who gingerly took hold of it, “but that would make you...” Her eyes rose up to Sam's ears and stayed there. “Oh my! You're...” Alex reached forward. I thought she was going to grab Sam's ears but she instead cupped Samantha's side locks in her palms. She bounced them up and down playfully. “Your hair! I love it. The side bangs really work for you; I'm pretty jealous.”
“Huh? Jealous?” Sam was dumbstruck at the statement.
“Yeah! My hair doesn't have the volume for something like this, so I always have to keep it straight down.”
“O-oh, I see.”

“So what brings you back here so soon? Visiting Miss Reyes?”
“That's right, but we're in a bit of a jam,” I answered, “see, I'm not actually sure where her room is. It's a bit embarrassing to admit, but I'm not familiar with the Library.”
“Would you like me to lead you to her? I was just there, though she's in a different room now.”
Chive butted in, “That'd be great! Maybe you can show me an empty room for us to enjoy as well?”
“Not even in your dreams. Come on, up the stairs,” Alex trotted off and though Sam and I followed behind, Chive dragged his feet.
“Gunna be single forever,” he mumbled to himself.
“So you were visiting Alice too?” I asked as we climbed the mesmerizing staircase.
“Yes. I had to give her my gift, after all.”
“Gift?” Sam tilted her head in curiosity.
“That's right. She really helped us with the defense so I thought it best to show my gratitude.” We got off on the fourth floor and were instantly cut off from the hub we were just in as we entered another hallway. Instead of the ominous dark walls being flooded with bookshelves, they were instead lined with various odd props. A dark staff behind a glass case caught my eye. Instead of being a smooth staff, it had various sharp spikes sticking out of it in different places along the dark wood, making it impossible to hold without stabbing oneself. It almost looked as if it was a branch broken off a vicious tree. Just passed that was a painting of a large skeleton adorned in blue armor, collapsed atop a luscious throne. Just after that was--
“Is that a dead body?!” Sam cried.
“This place is mega spooky,” Chive spoke up, “just where are ya leading us, anyway? Is this one of yer kinks? That's a deal-breaker fer me, Alex.”
“Would you relax? It's just an anatomical model. For studying and such.” Alex bent over to the body that was slouched against the wall. The dim lighting didn't help convince me it was fake, nor did the realism of the limp arm Alex held up. “Here, see?” She forced the mannequin to wave its hand at us.
“Oh wow, you're right!” Sam crouched down next to the fake body and gripped both of its wrists before making them clap together. She let out a short giggle as she and Alex took control of each hand, clapping them together as a pair.
“They're weird,” Chive whispered to me. I only nodded in response. I heard a door open somewhere ahead of us. Chive stiffened as well, though the other two seemed too busy with their toy to notice or care. Echoing footsteps approached us and the lights seemed to dim even more while it tinted an unnatural purple color. A cold sweat raced down my back as the footsteps grew louder.
“...Guys?” The lights suddenly went out completely, flooding us in darkness.
“Hands are in my pockets!” Chive cried, “if anyone feels anyone touchin' their no-nos, it ain't me!” I slammed my palms across his mouth.
“Shh, keep quiet!”
“Mmm?” I pressed him against the wall as the footsteps grew even louder.
“Stick to the walls,” I urged the other two as quietly as I could, “we don't know what's happening.” The footsteps suddenly halted, though I couldn't make out how far away they were. Somewhere just ahead of us, but the marble flooring wasn't giving me a good approximation of the location. A few seconds passed in strained silence. In a sudden moment, the lights blinked back on. In the center of the hallway stood the fake body, its nude doll-like anatomy facing Chive and myself. He let out a quick noise that sounded something like:
“Whasaphamadaaa?!” while I gasped in surprise.
“So you were making all the noise?” The body said, its voice surprisingly feminie.
“Oh yes, sorry,” Alex responded, “I was on my way out when I ran into your friends.” The mannequin turned around to reveal Alice holding it from behind, gripping it from the torso.
“Oh there you two are,” she said calmly, “...Why is Chive hugging you tightly like that?” Chive quickly pushed me away in agitation.
“That was a dirty trick, witch!” He cried.
“Trick?”
“Dimming the lights!”
“That wasn't me. I'm not certain what caused that.”
“Of course you don't,” he huffed.
“I assume it has something to do with the experiments they're conducting in the labs. More importantly, why were you so interested in the anatomical dummy? Are you interested in learning about the human body? Though this would only teach you about the best hit markers on a person...”
“I doubt that was the reason they were so interested. What is this place anyway? Why's it so creepy?”
“These are the Necromancer Quarters. Those who specialize in Necromancy have their dorms here.”
“Yeah? How many people live here?”
“Just me. I'm the sole necromancer in this Library at the moment.”

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Chive amuses me to no end. He certainly pulls out all the stops to woo a lady. xD I wonder if he's right? You know, about getting a girl and all. Except, I kind of think it's better that way because, he seems like a one night stand kind of guy to me. Or the comedian out of Bryer, Sam and Alice. Chive is special in his own way. <3 Vin, I'm incredibly suspicious of. The way it was mentioned how nothing outside of the Magical Library could do any harm. But what about within? I smell something brewing. Otherwise, Alice being the only resident necromancer seems a little sad. Otherwise, loved reading this chapter a lot. <3

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
Yo yo. I've been in such a rut lately that I've decided to just post the small amount I've forced myself to write. Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things but for now, here's a very small update!
---
“You're the only necromancer in Blueshire?!” I was shocked, there was no way that could be true.
“At the moment, yes. The majority of necromancers have temporarily been transferred to Fayfield to further their studies. The others have left the Library for other reasons, such as vacation.”
Sam asked, “Why's this place so creepy anyway?”
“The halls of the Library are always decorated with various pieces regarding their location. The main entrance is an actual library, thus it's filled with books. The Frost Corridor has important objects from famous ice mages, the clerics have filled their area with holy and religious instruments, and so on. The pieces here also hold great value to necromancers.”
“Like that tree branch?” Chive pointed at the dark staff from before. Alice dropped the anatomical dummy and approached it.
“That's the Staff of Sensation. The spikes are placed in such a way that makes it impossible to grip without drawing blood. In return, the staff soaks the blood and amplifies the user's magical ability. It was crafted by Phyllian Dhark, a master of the dark arts.”
“So ya hurt yerself and get stronger? Seems like an easy trade.”
“You misunderstand. The staff soaks your life energy. Every spell cast will cut your life force, drawing you closer to death. It pulls from your time left on this earth, essentially drawing your life away.”
“It's a Blueshire national treasure,” Alex continued, “though it's sealed away behind a jinxed case and is never to be used again. It was considered a taboo weapon; one too dangerous for the user.”
“Jinxed?” Samantha looked more than a little curious, and Alice was happy to answer.
“Merely a protective procedure to make sure no one acquires it without having the clearance to do so. Anyone tampering with the glass case will feel sharp physical pain, but nothing permanent. At any rate, how did you all enter the Library this time? I highly doubt you managed to use the same trick twice in the same number of days, and with more people in tow.”
“My mother managed to get us clearance into the Library.”
“And why would you want to get in here in the first place? It isn't as if you're here to learn.”
“What do you mean? We came to visit you because you were sick.”
“Indeed?”
“We were worried about you!” Samantha told her, “I didn't know much about your condition and wasn't sure how you were feeling or anything!”
“Surely Bryer informed you that I was to make a swift recovery?”
“Yeah, but I was still worried.”
“I see. I appreciate your concern. Even yours, Chive.” The aforementioned thief was poking at the fallen dummy, though he looked up when mentioned.
“Yeah, yeah. Real worried. Like yer likely to die any time soon.”
“Be that as it may, I appreciate your presence even if you've likely masqueraded it as an interest in the Library itself.”
“Uh-huh. You got any biscuits or something? We make the long trek over and haven't been offered a single piece of hospitality. Instead we get snobbed at the door, have to find our own bloody way to your place, get t' lights shut off on us, and get spooked. Fer the life o' me I can't see why it's so hard to get in 'ere in t' first place.”
“As a matter of fact, I was just presented with a very special brew just a few minutes ago. I'd be more than happy to share it with all of you.” Though Alice's smile seemed genuine, it almost looked sinister when her eyes landed on Chive. He either didn't notice, or he didn't care.
“Free booze?! Maybe there's hope fer this place yet!”
“You are more than welcome to join us as well,” Alice told Alexis, though she just shook her head with a smile.
“Thank you for the offer, but I should be going. I have to report back to my duty.”

Alice led us down the dimly lit corridor in silence. This was common for her, however and it didn't bother any of us. What did bother us was the décor of the hallway. The walls were lined with various symbols are reminders of death. Portraits of wilting white flowers wrapped in briar vines, cemeteries lined with limitless tombstones, and the ruins of a large fortress all lined the walls ahead. The props were of a similar nature: various skulls and bones sat on tables, nefarious looking books lined the few shelves, and the dark robes of long dead necromancers hung in glass displays. Thankfully it didn't take us too long to reach her quarters. The door leading to it was surprisingly ordinary, just a single wooden knob handle door. She easily opened it and led us inside.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Chive, don't drink it! I wonder if it's really a bitter medicine instead of free booze like he's thinking? And necromancers taking vacations somewhat surprises me as well, but then again, everybody has to get a break every once in awhile. That staff is a bit scary tho. I wonder if Alice knows how any previous necromancers have died? You know, I wonder how she became to be one too. Anyways, I'm getting distracted. I loved this chapter, even if it was short. Is it just me or do necromancers have a hard time making friends? Just a weird hunch I have. Not saying Alice doesn't have friends because obviously, Chive, Bryer, Sam, and Alexis showed up. Plus a unrequited love in the wings. So... yeah. xD <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back