• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A little pass time with pen and paper

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
Re: Twisted Caduceus

thanks everyone,

I use a 0.7 mm mechanical pencil, with a simple crayola black color pencil for darker value, added with a BiC ink pen for outlining. Then i greyscale the picture via photoshop, and then i adjust the tone of the image to pop out the lines of the artwork. After that i carefully brighten the background space and use the history brush tool with my track pad to carefully keep the value of the artwork itself. After that i add small details such as adding a little shine by either using an overlaying white paintbrush technique, or simply using the eraser while decreasing the percentage of the opacity, that way as to not erase the whole dang picture. As far as the grain effect, it helps smooth out the picture a little more...but it's as much as i can go with since i don't have an art tablet to do all of this.

Try thinking about someone who does this amazing art piece using photoshops paint effects. All these people use art tablets. Now think about doing all that with the mouse of your computer...it limits the capabilities of what you could possibly do with these picture. I'm using minor tools to make these pictures and they do take me quite a few hours, but this is all the tip of the iceberg, as i plan to invest in an art tablet later. For right now, people like what i've been creating lately, and i'm happy about that. I plan on doing a before and after photo of the Mysterious man picture that i drew back in 2004 just to show how far i've come. People seemed to really like the character when i first presented the picture.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Edit: Another thing i noticed is that the other pictures i posted in this thread previously had been experiencing a reduction in quality for some reason. Perhaps didn't compress the quality of the images...i'm not sure, but i'll check on a regular to see if it becomes a common case. It only seems to happen once a new picture is posted

Last edited:

Shawty

Awards

Wow o_O this is insane, it's so good. You've got some wicked talent right there

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

Woah, you've got a good eye for detail. These drawings look like they were forged by a meticulous blacksmith or could mesh in an FFXII/XIII hybrid.

*newfan* :O

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com

Thanks you guys. Sadly this as much as i can do for now. I have to get ready for tomorrow to leave for Japan early Tuesday, and i most likely won't have any internet for a while. I'll see you guys again soon when i get the chance.

hSfld.jpg

Not my best, but something to leave off of for now

Last edited:

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
Re: A break from the sea

So after coming back from my deployment, i have a moment to get some rest back at my home base in Japan. I didn't get anything started considering i spent my first couple of days drunk, but i figure maybe i can at least get another picture on this thread. I honestly don't know where to start, but any support out there is welcome.

In the meantime i suppose i'll drop off some old work i did prior to this particular thread. Many have seen them before, but it's nice for display considering my absence

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
Re: A break from the sea

Thanks you two, i really appreciate the comments.

Yesterday i saw some neat art tablets, but they're somewhat expensive. At some point i feel like i'll be doing a little more improvement with my work when i purchae one. In the meantime, i have a sketch of my next pic, which is nowhere near finished, as i plan to add a lot more.

The idea....a ronin samurai in a forest, which is kind of cliche work, but i think it's cool

182167_419239628111238_1868873897_n.jpg

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
Re: Ronin Warrior (First Sketch)

Well now that i got a hold on this again, and i'll be able to enjoy land for a while, i may be able to put more stuff up here. Nice to be back

So this sketch is going to coincide with the one below it

13ymidv.jpg

2d26ttf.jpg

This has been a character i've been drawing for years, and i jut manage to change his look every time. The more i come up with a story in my head, the more he changes, and the more complex he becomes.

Simply put, it's just a matter of time before i come out with a full sketch of this guy

Last edited:

meirge

Website
coldghosts.tumblr.com
Re: Back in the Flesh ;D

dang dang dang that linework is impeccable. your figures all have a really nice movement to them!

this is excellent and you'll have to let us know when you get a tablet because i honestly can't wait to see what you'll produce with that

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com

thank you guys. Sorry for the lack of response, work tends to catch up a bit, so usually i view the forums, but don't get much time to really sign in ad involve myself here. Anyway...some progress on design

j59ykw.jpg

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com

2e17p83.jpg

Beyond the cold rusted bars of despair lay a wasteland, of nothing but mounds of sand and a dry cool breeze.
behind these bars looking out at the scenery was a boy with the hope to escape and reclaim memories of an
unknown past.

In the confines of a mining pit, he could only hope to escape his prison in which he had grown to know from
the only memories he could reclaim. The only thing keeping him from a moment of courage is a series of
nightmares pertaining to an unknown moment in history.

At the edge of sanity, a hand seaps through the cold bars. A single moment of hope is shown as life outside
finally becomes acknowledged within his eyes. "Are you prepared to take on the world?" A raspy mysterious voice
says.

A scarf covered face lowers to the bars to greet the boy face to face. "I am here to give you the courage you
desparately seek to leave this pit" The man said. "I will set your future in motion, but you must be willing to
take the path i build for you"​

Tera Nought-

The journey begins...

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Re: Tera Nought

Man I've followed this thread for a while, I just gotta ask.

Do you think you could do a design of a character of mine?
two old sketches. (1) (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back