• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHI: Writer's Guild!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'll keep asking questions then to help improve myself then! Thank you for continuing to help me Annoyance! :D Hmm...one of my biggest weaknesses is that I always think too much or too hard whenever doing something. This only happens simply because I'm scared of failure. What would you do about this when trying to write? I'm currently trying to break this cycle and don't want it affecting my writing skills or thinking. :(
Do it anyway and deal with it later. Don't worry so much about failure because your writing is at the end of the day always your own. And if it ends up being messed up in the first draft, it's the first draft! Don't worry too much about that stage. You never show anyone your first drafts anyways. Write it all out, fix it up to the best of your ability, maybe figure out things that you were unsure about and ask people's opinions on them for advice, things like that. And it's no problem, I like helping writers.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Yo, count me in for a summer contest.

I'm glad to hear you'll be entering it this year. :)

Just wanted to say I would love a summer contest. Even though I might not be able to commit to anything. . . last summer it got my wheels turning and motivated me to write something.

I completely understand. And if it inspires you to write or come up with ideas for future writing endeavors, then that's great! Either way, I'm happy to hear you'd like a summer contest this year. :)

Hi. I'm not sure if I already joined or not but could I join your club? I RP in another forum and want to become a writer someday, so I thought maybe this club could me with that! :)

You can join! If you haven't already, please make sure to subscribe to the thread for updates and whatnot too! :) And I think the lovely Annoyance has you covered with some really great writing advice! <3

----

A update!

There will be a summer writing contest this year! It'll either be in mid-May or early June!

EDIT: I might be starting the contest a bit early this year.

Last edited:

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
I used to write a lot. But because of several personal issues I kind of quit the last 5 years. I recently started up again but I'm a bit rusty, so I figured I'm going to be lurking in this section more from now on. Will upload something short I wrote last week later today/tomorrow. :p

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I used to write a lot. But because of several personal issues I kind of quit the last 5 years. I recently started up again but I'm a bit rusty, so I figured I'm going to be lurking in this section more from now on. Will upload something short I wrote last week later today/tomorrow. :p

I'll read anything you write! And even if you're rusty, you can always improve over time! Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what your short story is about! :)

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Work and school have slowed down my writing considerably as well. I haven't written anything freely since last summer, and it doesn't help that I've run into a bit of a writer's block as well. I've had a massive idea sort of germinating for a while now, so I'm hoping that'll help kickstart me writing again.

That said, assuming time allows, I'm down for a summer challenge as well. I haven't been able to participate in a challenge yet, but something to get the creative juices flowing would be perfect right now.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Work and school have slowed down my writing considerably as well. I haven't written anything freely since last summer, and it doesn't help that I've run into a bit of a writer's block as well. I've had a massive idea sort of germinating for a while now, so I'm hoping that'll help kickstart me writing again.

That said, assuming time allows, I'm down for a summer challenge as well. I haven't been able to participate in a challenge yet, but something to get the creative juices flowing would be perfect right now.

I'm sorry you're suffering a bit from writer's block. I certainly know what that is like, but it's great to hear you have a massive idea to help you kickstart into writing again! And it'd be great if you could partake in a summer challenge this year. :) Well, if you want it literally right now, I could try to do the contest early like I did last year. lol. I should be able to multitask it and everything else in real life. Just got to make up the contest and ect then.

SogeUsopp114

Awards
sitting with you know who in the realm of darkness
@Cinder-Senpai
I actually already subscribed some time ago. Found it while adjusting stuff. XD Annoyance's advice has definitely helped! Though I haven't gotten to the writing out my characters in a setting yet to get a better feel for them due to nervousness, but my bios have improved alot! ^^

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Does anyone have any tips or advice for writing a research paper? It's my last semester of college, and my Senior Seminar paper has been kicking my ass for a couple of weeks. I just want to get it done, but a lack of motivation every time I sit at the desk hits me and I fi,d myself just forcing myself through my senences. A research paper has never sucked so hard.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
Does anyone have any tips or advice for writing a research paper? It's my last semester of college, and my Senior Seminar paper has been kicking my ass for a couple of weeks. I just want to get it done, but a lack of motivation every time I sit at the desk hits me and I fi,d myself just forcing myself through my senences. A research paper has never sucked so hard.
"You sit down and type one word after another. It's that's simple, and that hard."

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I find it easier for me to rant about the topic at hand, and try to write about matters that actually matter to me as a person, like I wrote a decent persuasive on how they treat trans people in prison with placing them in solitary for "their safety" when it's just discrimination and not actually solving anything. I was mad and wrote 7/4 pages [the min was 4].
After that I use sources to back my ass up and cite whatever I'm correct about, throw in some examples from sources, etc.

I wrote the minimum of that paper in my ranting phase...

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
How acceptable is it to switch from first person to third person? I want to write an ongoing piece and have it focus mainly on one person, but there will definitely be parts where that character won't be present. So the idea was to use first person with the main character and switch to third person when that specific character isn't present. I've done it before, though it was in a very brief section. Either way it'll be all a draft, so I can change it later if I really want/need to. I kinda just want to know because of curiosity.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I'd say it's acceptable to make the switch whenever you want it to. Or whatever feels most natural and comfortable to write in at the time. As long as it doesn't disrupt the story any, then I think you're golden for however you want to do it. Of course, if you made the switch with every other chapter from first person to third, then it might throw readers off a tiny bit. xD

But this is just me.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It's usually acceptable if you break it off by like, a chapter change. I'd just recommend being all in third at that point though because as a narrator the voice may change and it becomes inconsistent. You want to think about how the narrator is speaking to the audience and looking at the story at hand.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
How does everyone prepare for writing a longer piece, i.e. a novel?

I typically spend a painstaking amount of time outlining my world and its characters first. I write down all sorts of details I feel like I may not ever truly write about, as I feel like it really helps my world come alive. I have loads of documents detailing everything from politics to locales to design elements of the different areas of my world.

When I'm done, I then outline my entire story, chapter by chapter, in what often ends up being anywhere between a 20,000-40,000 word document. I treat it like small, but detailed summaries for each chapter, so by the time I finally begin writing my first draft, it already has the feel and quality of something I've already completely written out and edited. I like my first draft to be as detailed and professional feeling as possible, as I find it makes the editing process later much easier.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
How does everyone prepare for writing a longer piece, i.e. a novel?

I typically spend a painstaking amount of time outlining my world and its characters first. I write down all sorts of details I feel like I may not ever truly write about, as I feel like it really helps my world come alive. I have loads of documents detailing everything from politics to locales to design elements of the different areas of my world.

When I'm done, I then outline my entire story, chapter by chapter, in what often ends up being anywhere between a 20,000-40,000 word document. I treat it like small, but detailed summaries for each chapter, so by the time I finally begin writing my first draft, it already has the feel and quality of something I've already completely written out and edited. I like my first draft to be as detailed and professional feeling as possible, as I find it makes the editing process later much easier.
I think of the ending and work from the start to get there. But I never plan out the things in the middle so I usually end up hating myself and never finishing lol

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
The one time I've written a novel, I outlined everything. Including what characters would say, or what actions they'd take from point A to B. Admittedly, I've rewritten it four times before losing it all completely when my battery died on my old laptop. The hilarious thing about it was that there was a lot lacking in world build up and explanation for why the characters acted the way they did, including their powers and ect. However, I was only fourteen and basing my novel off of KH and whatever else I happened to like and be obessed with at the time. In general, I think outlining is a great way to go about things.

Whereas if I'm writing stories right now, I'll usually jot down a funny idea I had and use it for later. (By story, I mean something like a one shot. Nothing too big.) Which I'm currently doing now because, I wanna write something hilarious and goofy. xD I don't generally outline anything any more unless I plan on turning a story into a novel. :3

Lingering Will

Awards
Ummm, I'm a pretty decent writer in my egotistical little brain, so how do I sign up for this Guild? I'd like to join as I'd like to post here and get some feedback on my writing skills, so do I just subscribe to this thread? I've used forums before so I at least know how to do that.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Pretty much what Annoyance has said. And if you post any stories, I'll be more than happy to read and review it for you. :) Yup, you hit the subscribe button and you'll see new an recent posts too. So I think that's about it unless you have any other questions for me or the wonderful writing community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back