• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Changes to games mid-production/post-production

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Yeah, I wish they'd kept the beta scene for many a reason:)

One of them (for me) definitely being that Aqua seems to be using more of her graceful Keyblade maneuvers here. We don't really see that in much of her cutscenes in BbS that I can remember, so here--if they had kept this--there would have been less story and gameplay segregation in that, I think.

I wonder what could've been made out of that scene. I mean besides Aqua doing some training, Ventus and Terra look a little weird like the developers didn't know what to do with them in that scene, lol.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Man you guys really know how to spam a thread.

Anyways 13th Vessel found an unused Atlantica menu and Stitch's Spaceship in KH2 suggesting that early concepts of Atlantica featured fighting, and Stitch was meant to be shown in Space.

RxPmFOc.png

C4sMYd3.png

And Radiant Garden was most likely a debug area, much like that other room. And god does that youtuber suck so much.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Man you guys really know how to spam a thread.

Anyways 13th Vessel found an unused Atlantica menu and Stitch's Spaceship in KH2 suggesting that early concepts of Atlantica featured fighting, and Stitch was meant to be shown in Space.

RxPmFOc.png

C4sMYd3.png

And Radiant Garden was most likely a debug area, much like that other room. And god does that youtuber suck so much.

that's pretty interesting, the atlantica battle menu moreso because we could have dodged musical HELL

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Audo mentioned it earlier but I figured it'd be better to visualize how close this was to happening:

latest

Still really sad about this considering how awesome Pleakley is. My favorite androgynous alien <3

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I'm sad Lilo and Stitch didn't make the cut, absolutely love that movie. Imagine how easily Pleakley could have prevented the extinction of mosquitos if he would've had a keyblade wielding hero at his side. Heartless would learn to fear the mosquitos.

Never was into jungle book (I need to revisit it), but thankful there was no combat in Atlantica.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Checked out the video and am now in agreement. Working my way toward playing through birth by sleep, but from what I've played previously, the game could use maybe another world. Jungle book does seem to fit well, now that I actually give it some thought.

Anagram

Banned
Checked out the video and am now in agreement. Working my way toward playing through birth by sleep, but from what I've played previously, the game could use maybe another world. Jungle book does seem to fit well, now that I actually give it some thought.

It would've been far more preferable than Disney Town at least.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Seeing all these "unused" beta scenes from BBS actually strengthens my suspicion that the story of BBS (and thus also the focus on TAV), while not necessarily highly different in terms of themes and actual roles of the characters, was originally planned to be more detailed and longer in overall content.
As if the PSP-BBS was actually a truncated version of what was originally intended and most of the stuff that was cut was what would have been needed to be kept in order to make TAV as friends more believable.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Seeing all these "unused" beta scenes from BBS actually strengthens my suspicion that the story of BBS (and thus also the focus on TAV), while not necessarily highly different in terms of themes and actual roles of the characters, was originally planned to be more detailed and longer in overall content.
As if the PSP-BBS was actually a truncated version of what was originally intended and most of the stuff that was cut was what would have been needed to be kept in order to make TAV as friends more believable.

Even then, the interview evidence was also pretty strong. Nomura's tonal shift when discussing BBS between 2007/8 and 2009 is almost like two different games. It's weird how entire HUGE concepts were rewritten for whatever reason. It's a shame because I did like what BBS was going to be. While I love what we got, it was too short and too compact and very clearly steered away towards certain ideas to the point that the meaning of the game was nearly lost and only serves itself as a throwaway line at the end of the game.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Even then, the interview evidence was also pretty strong. Nomura's tonal shift when discussing BBS between 2007/8 and 2009 is almost like two different games. It's weird how entire HUGE concepts were rewritten for whatever reason. It's a shame because I did like what BBS was going to be. While I love what we got, it was too short and too compact and very clearly steered away towards certain ideas to the point that the meaning of the game was nearly lost and only serves itself as a throwaway line at the end of the game.

Who knows? Wasn't 2008/2009 the time around where all the big problems at Square started and where the "delayeritis" started to spread more far than before?
I remember Nomura more than once stating that he considered BBS as "KH 0" and as important as KH 1 and 2, so maybe BBS was once planned to be also similar content- and scope-wise to 1 and 2? It being originally intended for a home console may point further towards this.
Maybe he was told eventually that BBS was too big of a project at current with other things on the plate having more priority? (Thinking about all the problems they had with the White engine, the PS3, FF Versus XIII and FF XIII back then)
So whatever greater scope and universe building Nomura may have had originally planned for BBS was reduced to just "explain Xehanort's origin" and nothing else in the end.

Too short and compact is exactly what I personally feel about BBS as a whole and which hurts a little due to so much potential being unused.

I've never actually thought about that one, but it is true that the term Birth by Sleep gets only truly addressed in Blank Points.
Although one could probably point out both Vanitas' birth as well as Ventus getting his heart rescued by Sora and then healed as an literal case of "Birth by Sleep", it is actually directly referenced only in the secret ending.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Hmm, BBS never really bothered me that way. I remember reading a few bits about it, seeing a few screenshots and I think I saw one small trailer, but that was basically it. I started to play the game with a pretty empty mind set and I had no expectations loaded towards it, and I enjoyed it very much. While it is not a perfect game like we have discussed quite a many times, I did not have any gripes with the game about changes in tone or stuff like that. Maybe sometimes it is good to just look up few things and not frequently follow news relating to a game. It is sad when you have loaded some expectations towards a project and they don`t match, or have the plot analysed and constructed inside you`r head before you even start the game.

Anagram

Banned
I agree with Ethy that, from memory, the earlier interviews and trailers portray what feels like an entirely different story in ways. Same journey, aka Terra>KH2Xehanort and Ven>Roxas, but the middle gives off the feel of very different.

I'll forever be curious of what it could've been. I do think the introduction of other titles and a shift from PS2 to PSP caused it.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I agree with Ethy that, from memory, the earlier interviews and trailers portray what feels like an entirely different story in ways. Same journey, aka Terra>KH2Xehanort and Ven>Roxas, but the middle gives off the feel of very different.

I'll forever be curious of what it could've been. I do think the introduction of other titles and a shift from PS2 to PSP caused it.

I suppose it would've been nice to see what it could've been, but oh well.

Right now, we may probably only hope that KH3 will fix some of the issues BBS had at least, regarding TAV e.g.

Anagram

Banned
I suppose it would've been nice to see what it could've been, but oh well.

Right now, we may probably only hope that KH3 will fix some of the issues BBS had at least, regarding TAV e.g.

I've always been curious since I learned Chain of Memories wasn't intended or BBS was changed. Basically the only ones originally intended were KH1, KH2 and BBS. Just imagine the different story. o_0

Lets not remember the wasted potential with them. T__T

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I've always been curious since I learned Chain of Memories wasn't intended or BBS was changed. Basically the only ones originally intended were KH1, KH2 and BBS. Just imagine the different story. o_0

Lets not remember the wasted potential with them. T__T

In some parallel universe, there is BBS with Terra, Aqua and Ventus traveling together and being the bestest of friends. q.q One day, we'll go there.

But if CoM wasn't intended to happen, uhm...I mean, would there have been any explanation for the stuff that happens in KH2 regarding Sora being asleep and all? (And no, not ingame reports >:CCC )

Anagram

Banned
But if CoM wasn't intended to happen, uhm...I mean, would there have been any explanation for the stuff that happens in KH2 regarding Sora being asleep and all? (And no, not ingame reports >:CCC )

Your assuming the game would be the same. It's more likely that without CoM KH2's story would've been largely different but still revolving around nobodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back