• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy IX

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Re: Final Fantasy IX - "This is an age-old ritual between friends!"

I have a question. Is Queen Brahne really the mother of Garnett...?

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

Queen Brahne and the king of Alexandria adopted Garnet together.

Oh ok, and who was that woman under the storm with Garnett at that time of the memory?

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

Thanks for clearing the fog out of my mind.

Kuponuts

My first and absolute favorite game in the series, i never understood why people hated this game so much. Freya is hands down my favorite Dragoon in the series.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

It's not hated. Quite the opposite. IX is usually praised to infinity and beyond by many hardcore fans of the series. It's the credible game to like. Everyone who is too cool to pick VII as they're favourite because it's so mainstream and "casual" usually picks VI or IX instead (that's not to say it isn't their favourite, but it's often presented as some sort of anti-VII statement). Out of all the classic games, II and VIII both get a whole lot more hate than IX.

I personally dislike the art direction of the game. I like what they did with Zidane and Kuja in Dissidia, and Vivi in Kingdom Hearts. But whoever worked on translating Amano's designs to polygons did a terrible job, imho. He made them all look so ugly. Not a big fan of the medieval setting either and the soundtrack is one of Uematsu's weakest overall along with V and X. Also, the battles are painfully slow. Then there's the stupid final boss which gave birth to a whole new trope. With that said, this is precisely why I want a remake because while I can still enjoy VII and VIII in their original versions, IX would most likely benefit greatly from a major facelift and some tweaked gameplay. Actually, I would love to see a "demake". Would make a great old-school 2D Final Fantasy with sprites as nice and detailed as those in VI. Thematically speaking, IX really should have been VI (in 2D) and VI should have been IX (in 3D).

It's funny though how people who have already decided on hating XV regardless of how amazing it might turn out to be, justifying it in part by saying "it's not a real Final Fantasy game, they just added a number to a spin-off" - when that is exactly what happened with IX, which no one dares to say isn't a proper Final Fantasy game whether it's among their favourites or not.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

I don't think I'm too cool to pick VII, I just don't like it. It's almost the antithesis of IX, so that might be why I feel the complete opposite about the art direction, too (Vivi in KH2 is completely hideous). I'm not crazy about VIII, but XIII is worse.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

It's funny though how people who have already decided on hating XV regardless of how amazing it might turn out to be, justifying it in part by saying "it's not a real Final Fantasy game, they just added a number to a spin-off" - when that is exactly what happened with IX, which no one dares to say isn't a proper Final Fantasy game whether it's among their favourites or not.

Every Final Fantasy gets some hate before its release and a lot after it is actually released. FF has gone in so many different directions that it has become nearly impossible to keep everyone satisfied. Every little thing they decide to do differently, no matter how big or how small, is bound to have some detractors.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

It's not hated. Quite the opposite. IX is usually praised to infinity and beyond by many hardcore fans of the series. It's the credible game to like. Everyone who is too cool to pick VII as they're favourite because it's so mainstream and "casual" usually picks VI or IX instead (that's not to say it isn't their favourite, but it's often presented as some sort of anti-VII statement). Out of all the classic games, II and VIII both get a whole lot more hate than IX.

I personally dislike the art direction of the game. I like what they did with Zidane and Kuja in Dissidia, and Vivi in Kingdom Hearts. But whoever worked on translating Amano's designs to polygons did a terrible job, imho. He made them all look so ugly. Not a big fan of the medieval setting either and the soundtrack is one of Uematsu's weakest overall along with V and X. Also, the battles are painfully slow. Then there's the stupid final boss which gave birth to a whole new trope. With that said, this is precisely why I want a remake because while I can still enjoy VII and VIII in their original versions, IX would most likely benefit greatly from a major facelift and some tweaked gameplay. Actually, I would love to see a "demake". Would make a great old-school 2D Final Fantasy with sprites as nice and detailed as those in VI. Thematically speaking, IX really should have been VI (in 2D) and VI should have been IX (in 3D).

VIII gets a lot of hate because it looks like crap outside of the FMVs which still didn't age well at all, and is just completely out of place, having a difficult to understand battle system [don't give me that crap saying it was easy, it really isn't, they explained it once and a lot of people didn't have internet back when it came out], an okay card game, an ooookay at best story with completely unmemorable characters, etc. It was just out of place.

IX stands out for me because of the art style and what it was going for. It wasn't meant to be another FFVII masterpiece. It was a side game originally, and grew into this gigantic love letter to the fans and the series as a whole with how far they've come, from referencing the old fashioned medieval setting of the first games, to side references. The FMVs to me look better than VIII's because of the style choice they went with.

Also Yoshitaka Amano's illustrations were PURELY for concept design, he didn't do the character designs, just concept, another thing they went back to, with having him do concept work and basing it off that rather than going with Nomura again. I'm fond of the designs and short little chibi like characters. It makes it stand out much more and give it its own unique look while referencing the old looks of the chibi sprites from the older games. Not to mention in game sprites look SOOO much better than VIII's.

As for VII, I just don't like VII's story and the graphics and mechanics are very very dated.

IX I like because it stuck with me, the story was strong to me and exactly what I like. To say I like it because of some sort of hipster bullshit is kinda bullshit generalization more than anything. I say this literally all the time but FFIX isn't just my favorite Final Fantasy.
It's my favorite game.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

Sorry, but IX certainly hasn't aged any better than VIII in terms of graphics. That's just biased nonsense.

Both games use equally beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds but also have equally grainy character models that look terrible today. Whether you prefer one setting over another is completely irrelevant to this discussion. The FMV's in both games still look quite good and neither of them outshine the other because both were in production around the same time.

You might think VIII had unmemorable characters and a weak story, but I could easily make the same claim about IX. It's a matter of taste. But since you went there, I think you'll find that most people will agree that VIII had a significantly better and engaging card game than IX. It's no coincidence that A Realm Reborn is getting one based on Triple Triad and not Tetra Master. The former is by far more popular and rightly so. You mentioned that VIII did a bad job of explaining the draw system. That might be the case, but IX did an even worse job explaining the mechanics of Tetra Master.

Anyway, I clearly never said that everyone who lovs IX is a hipster. Just that many people make a point of preferring it to VII and VIII, as if it makes them more credible and come off as people with better taste in games than the masses. The fact that you seem to feel a need to bash both VII and VIII in order to praise IX speaks volumes and only makes you fit the bill of someone who sits on a high horse because they prefer IX even more.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

The in-game graphics have aged as much as FFVIII, but thankfully they didn't look as bad in the first place. That's mostly to what some call the "weird" designs' credit. The FMVs are on par with each other for those two games, imo.

The fact that you're hostile and dismissive says a lot. You clearly have some past grudge against a FFIX fan who pissed you off, so you've written all its fans off as people who say it's their favorite to feel superior to FFVII fans. That's a very immature way of looking things. Believe me, I'm not thinking of FFVII while I enjoy FFIX.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

The in-game graphics have aged as much as FFVIII, but thankfully they didn't look as bad in the first place. That's mostly to what some call the "weird" designs' credit. The FMVs are on par with each other for those two games, imo.

The fact that you're hostile and dismissive says a lot. You clearly have some past grudge against a FFIX fan who pissed you off, so you've written all its fans off as people who say it's their favorite to feel superior to FFVII fans. That's a very immature way of looking things. Believe me, I'm not thinking of FFVII while I enjoy FFIX.
This is what I'm saying. The chibi look of the characters definitely helps the game in how they look with the rest of the game, while purely for example, VIII, has more realistic of a look for the models, so it ends up looking more aged comparatively because they want to be passed off as realistic when they just end up looking like deformed expressionless blobs.

Regardless, I like IX because I like IX. I don't like VIII because I don't like VIII. They can be compared because they're part of a series, but I just really, really love IX. I like its charm.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

I'm not the hostile and dismissive one, mate. As for obnoxious people who sit on a high horse because they like IX more than VII, there are plenty of them. You can find plenty of them over at IGN, for example. I never ever claimed this was the case for all people who liked IX though. That would have been rude. So please don't argue as if I did. But that kind of IX fans most definitely exist.

Last edited:

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards

nah mate you do come across as very hostile and dismissive a lot of the time.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

How so? I did not insult anyone. For the last time, I clearly did not speak about IX fans in general or all IX fans. I spoke about a very specific kind of people. If Annoyance didn't feel like she was one of them, she shouldn't have taken offence and replied to me with such attitude. There was not a single valid reason for her to take offence at what I wrote. End of story. Let's move on.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

How so? I did not insult anyone. For the last time, I clearly did not speak about IX fans in general or all IX fans. I spoke about a very specific kind of people. If Annoyance didn't feel like she was one of them, she shouldn't have taken offence and replied to me with such attitude. There was not a single valid reason for her to take offence at what I wrote. End of story. Let's move on.
I was stating my opinion, disagreeing with your theories and statements purely on opinion and facts that I know about the game [ex: That Yoshitaka Amano didn't do the character designs, there's a difference between him and the actual character designer which I felt did a really good job capturing the look they were going for on the game.]

You started off making a statement that was almost entirely false and accusatory that anyone who likes IX would obviously take offense to because we like it because, well, we like it. We all have our specific reasons [Our first, the characters, etcetcetc.] but that isn't anyone's problem but our own. You almost entirely dismiss it with your statement, saying:

Everyone who is too cool to pick VII as they're favourite because it's so mainstream and "casual" usually picks VI or IX instead (that's not to say it isn't their favourite, but it's often presented as some sort of anti-VII statement). Out of all the classic games, II and VIII both get a whole lot more hate than IX.
Which is where I got the "hipster bullshit" statement from. I actually never said you said it, but I know that mentality exists, just like people make fun of girls who like Pikachu as their favorite Pokemon. I know the mentality exists, doesn't make it right. I don't like that mentality in the video game world that you're not as big of a fan if you like the "popular" one.

Personally, I tried VII, VIII, and IX at the same time after playing X. IX is the one that shone through all these years. IX is the one that is plastered everywhere in my room like some sort of shrine. It just happened because it stuck with me so hard.

If my passion for this game has come out as "attitude," I apologize, that was never my intention. I'm just purely disagreeing with your generalization of the fanbase.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

IX was my first, and has remained my favorite throughout the years. The only one that came close for me was VI. Hell, playing the games that came before IX did nothing but make me like it more because it helped illustrate just how much love and care went into the creation of IX. I can't explain it very well, but everything in IX just clicked for me. I like the setting and I like all of the characters (yes, even Quina). The story was engaging and funny (for actual deliberate "joke" reasons, not meme-worthy mistranslations and butcherings), but still dramatic at the right moments. I felt more for some of IX's individual characters than for the entire casts of others.
If my first was VII or VIII, I'm not sure if I would've gotten into the series the way I did.

Back