• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

College

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
I came here to ask some questions about online college courses, only to see that it's more or less become one of the console threads.

I would like to help you considering I took online college courses but unfortunately some fools will see it as some sort of conspiracy to make you worship me as an engineer.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Well to learn programming, Learn to code | Codecademy is a great resource. It depends on how much programming background you have. If you've never programmed before I think C or C++ is a powerful language to learn, but Python is the easiest language for first-time users. Once you learn Python, you will understand how to program better, and then you can move on to more advanced languages like Java. I would try to master the codeacademy tutorials. There are also coursera.com, academicearth.org, and Stanford, MIT, and Harvard's online video lectures in computer science classes that can help you learn more programming methodology and languages. This is assuming you want to learn free and on your own.

For game programming specifically, I don't know very much about that. Some universities have game design programs you can join that are online degrees (like Full Sail) but they can be expensive and I don't know much about their quality. But if you want to program for video games, you should be familiar with Autodesk programs like Maya.

As an animator, Maya would be quite important for you to learn regardless.

Awards
Some universities have game design programs you can join that are online degrees (like Full Sail) but they can be expensive and I don't know much about their quality.

I've heard it's a general rule to try and avoid places that claim to be 'video game' schools.

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
What's the best place to go to for learning programming or game programming and computer animation? Is it better to use the paid programs or are the free ones good too?
Dogen already mentioned Codecademy, but another great one is Codeschool (for C++, Objective C, Object-Oriented programming, Ruby on Rails, etc..). It's a paid subscription deal but I hear good things about it. I've always used Codecademy with great luck. They offer projects for most of their offerings to help grind your capacity in any given language.

I've heard it's a general rule to try and avoid places that claim to be 'video game' schools.
Also worth noting that if you go to a school for video game design, you will be trained very specifically (aside form a year of foundation classes). Much better to be a computer science major, have some art background, and just generally have competencies in relevant areas while doing game design things in your free time. A few classes on game design theory could probably help I'm sure, too. You could argue that this is an overgeneralization (i.e., why not carry the logic to say that if you want to do Graphic Design, why not just do fine arts and do GD in your free time?). I disagree here, because CS and Art degrees are universally accepted, and your foot in the door from an internship is 10x more valuable regardless of your schooling.

Hollow Bastion

Crimson
Awards
/r/learnprogramming This subreddit can be useful. Also, further down on the right there's a section called "Recommended Resources". Check out the tutorials (they also suggest Codecademy) and books suggested. Starting out, I recommend Python. If you want one that colleges/universities may push for, consider Java or C#, though Python will probably easier to learn on your own.

As for game programming, I would recommend against going that direction initially. Try to get a basic CS or software engineering background first. Game programming is very specific and difficult to get into, job-wise.

Chris

I share this account w/ my mom lmao
Awards
What's the best place to go to for learning programming or game programming and computer animation? Is it better to use the paid programs or are the free ones good too?

hahahaha, I'm a Computer Science major right now so I think I can answer this question.

First and foremost, let me clarify I have about 30 hours of homework a week. I work incredibly hard and cut back on my drug use to maintain my 2.7 GPA. My class is full of antisocial Asians who do nothing but study and ruin the curve for all of my classes. I used to work hard Monday through Friday and then hit up bars on the weekends, but now I sit in my room 7 days a week reading textbooks, jerking off with my tears as lube, and complaining about my miserable existence. I can't remember the last time I found time to shower. Anyway, since you asked about Computer Science, I hope you don't mind me sharing an anecdote or two.

Some of my assignments are borderline impossible because my incompetent professors design the problems poorly and then change the instructions two days before they are due (diddly. you. Analysis of Algorithms.) I work so god damn hard and impress the shit out of my family and friends back home but that validation isn't enough so I share it with strangers on the internet as well.

Anyway, my schedule this semester:
Automata Theory
Computer Architecture III
Software Engineering
Operating Systems

what was your question again

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
haha i just read the past few pages and it's good to know that dogen is still gay in 2014

#4moreyears

D

Deleted member 36435

Monday:
Bio102 10:30AM - 11:45AM - MS170
Bio208Lab 1:25PM - 4:10PM MS228
Mat146 7:05PM - 8:55PM LA214

Tuesday:
Bio208 10:30AM - 11:45AM AD120
COS102 6:00PM - 8:30PM BS310

Wednesday
Bio102 10:30AM - 11:45AM
Bio102Lab 1:25 - 4:05PM MS218
Mat146 7:05PM - 8:55PM AD107

Thursday:
Bio208 10:30 - 11:45AM AD120

final schedule i dropped chem cause fuck 3 labs im lazy

Passion

Silver Member
Awards
I don't think I could deal with a college chem lab. Nope, not for me

D

Deleted member 36435

Yeah, Chemistry at the college level is pretty hard from what I've heard so I opted to just take it over the summer.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
Mon/Wed:

PSY 356: psychology of personality 11am - 12:15pm
PSY 370: abnormal psychology 12:30pm - 1:45pm

Tu/Th:

Chem 111A activity: 12pm - 12:50pm
Chem 111A lab: 1pm - 2:50pm
Chem 111A lecture: 3:30pm - 4:45pm
PSY 336: psychology of emotion 5:30pm - 6:45pm

Back