• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► The Fan-Fic Writer's Moving Sidewalk

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Yeah, Fullmetal Alchemist. I've had a terrible time finding time to write as well, but I think it should go better now.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
Been awhile since I attempted a fan fic, last one I tried was too entagled in the plot of the series it was based on.

So this time I decided to try one about Lightning and Hope from FFXIII, taking place after FFXIII and is really more of a personal story revolving around those two instead of a adventure based story.

What do you guys think of this idea?

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I've had this one idea for a really gritty Pokemon fic for a while, like what would happen if a ten year old was kicked out by his alcoholic mother in a small town which lacks a Pokemon centre and police service. Armed with only his starter, a wild beast who he doesn't get along with, he has to travise all of Hoenn...

Also been throwing around idea for a Minecraft fan-fic, same sort of idea. Basically it'd be a lot like Cast Away but with Minecraft mechanics integrated

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
★;5390128 said:
I've had this one idea for a really gritty Pokemon fic for a while, like what would happen if a ten year old was kicked out by his alcoholic mother in a small town which lacks a Pokemon centre and police service. Armed with only his starter, a wild beast who he doesn't get along with, he has to travise all of Hoenn...

Also been throwing around idea for a Minecraft fan-fic, same sort of idea. Basically it'd be a lot like Cast Away but with Minecraft mechanics integrated
Sounds like a cool idea. I personally love intense, dark Pokemon fics, and yours seems like it could be even a bit darker than the one I've been posting here.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I've thought of doing a fanfic, but I think in personal terms that it'd be overlooked by lots of other ones, and sewing twisty, interwoven plots with non-original characters would be slightly difficult, and somehow it would end up like a metaphorical, steaming pile of written manure.

:( I dunno, might try it someday, but until then, I'll just slam my face onto the desk.

Izayoi

galactic cancer
I always feel weird working on any KH fanfiction, because I always end up using mostly original characters, set in the KH world. Like the fanfic I have focuses on mostly OC's. Half the time I feel like this makes me look bad or something because I'm just 'using' the source material to give me a background without really trying. I guess if you were to see what I wrote it would make sense, but has anyone else ever encountered this?

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I always feel weird working on any KH fanfiction, because I always end up using mostly original characters, set in the KH world. Like the fanfic I have focuses on mostly OC's. Half the time I feel like this makes me look bad or something because I'm just 'using' the source material to give me a background without really trying. I guess if you were to see what I wrote it would make sense, but has anyone else ever encountered this?

That is exactly why I don't want to take a hand at writing a KH-styled fanfiction - I'll just end up using OC's and other crap to ensure my personal satisfaction, which I don't like, because then to me it wouldn't really be a 'FanFic,' in a sense of personal taste.

:S

Izayoi

galactic cancer
That is exactly why I don't want to take a hand at writing a KH-styled fanfiction - I'll just end up using OC's and other crap to ensure my personal satisfaction, which I don't like, because then to me it wouldn't really be a 'FanFic,' in a sense of personal taste.

:S

Yeah, I get paranoid about it actually being a 'fanfic', argh. I try to rationalize by telling myself that, since I'm still using characters, and the settings, and all the cosmology and the like, it's still fine. But rationale doesn't help when you're crazy.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Yeah, I get paranoid about it actually being a 'fanfic', argh. I try to rationalize by telling myself that, since I'm still using characters, and the settings, and all the cosmology and the like, it's still fine. But rationale doesn't help when you're crazy.

Would you like a straight jacket? They're so fun to put on and not be able to type. :(

And if I even wrote a KH-themed Fanfic, it'd be 'M' Rated, so I wouldn't have to deal with niceties. Then again, not sure if I could post it on the Forums, seeing as how kiddies come in now and again - wouldn't want to mess anything up. :S

Izayoi

galactic cancer
Would you like a straight jacket? They're so fun to put on and not be able to type. :(

And if I even wrote a KH-themed Fanfic, it'd be 'M' Rated, so I wouldn't have to deal with niceties. Then again, not sure if I could post it on the Forums, seeing as how kiddies come in now and again - wouldn't want to mess anything up. :S

Meh I already can't get anything down. The one I have now hinges on M-ratings, but I think I'm at a high T as it is. And it's not about that content's graphic-ness, it's just the content itself and what it comes from.

And the kiddies are 12 at the least and are corrupted easy.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Meh I already can't get anything down. The one I have now hinges on M-ratings, but I think I'm at a high T as it is. And it's not about that content's graphic-ness, it's just the content itself and what it comes from.

And the kiddies are 12 at the least and are corrupted easy.

Yeah, who wasn't "liberated from innocence" at 12 back in the day anyway. . :S

I need a box.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
I don't think using OC's is a problem most of the time. In fact, I think it's a good step in the direction of original story telling. Pure fanfiction is great for those of us who like to tell stories and weave plots but aren't good at setting up the background. Using OC's means that you're improving at making characters. All that's left is working on setting, and you're ready to write your own original stories.

That's not to say canon characters are bad, or that fanfiction is purely for the purpose of preparing for original works, but I do like OC's. The only problem is that stories about OC's don't get as much attention. Luckily, I don't really mind. My writing is split pretty evenly between all-canon and all-OC characters.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I know this is a weird question but, seeing as how I plan to continue my FMA fanfic, I need some information that google is making it difficult to find. Could someone tell me if they know of any wish-granting creatures in mythology/religion? I already know of jinn, but I'd rather have a more diverse group of beings as opposed to various versions of jinn.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I know this is a weird question but, seeing as how I plan to continue my FMA fanfic, I need some information that google is making it difficult to find. Could someone tell me if they know of any wish-granting creatures in mythology/religion? I already know of jinn, but I'd rather have a more diverse group of beings as opposed to various versions of jinn.

jinns can't really grant wishes as the West turned them into genies...

sorry, just had to point that out

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Thanks for the info, but I may still have to give them that feature if I can't find anything else, lol

Dr_Mario64

I'll see your offer on that straight jacket! How much you want for it? Some may call me weird but in my opinion weirdness is the foundation of society. That's why I like to write. It gives me a practical use for such weirdness. The trouble I've had is that my current work is a fanfic. The trouble w/ fanfics is that they have to remain canon (something I'm very bad @). The issue I'm experiencing is that my brain comes up w/ all these good ideas and my fingers just follow suit *tappity tap*. Going through the entire thing subconsciously, I proofread my work to find that less than 70% of it is actually canon w/ the series. So, I go back to correct it and wind up in a bigger mess because the canon parts now conflict w/ the plot. Any advice on how to deal w/ this?

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I'll see your offer on that straight jacket! How much you want for it? Some may call me weird but in my opinion weirdness is the foundation of society. That's why I like to write. It gives me a practical use for such weirdness. The trouble I've had is that my current work is a fanfic. The trouble w/ fanfics is that they have to remain canon (something I'm very bad @). The issue I'm experiencing is that my brain comes up w/ all these good ideas and my fingers just follow suit *tappity tap*. Going through the entire thing subconsciously, I proofread my work to find that less than 70% of it is actually canon w/ the series. So, I go back to correct it and wind up in a bigger mess because the canon parts now conflict w/ the plot. Any advice on how to deal w/ this?

Slowly depart from the canon, go for original stuff. You can easily kill off the other 30% with a little more creativitiscal thinkeringly.

EDIT: Nvm just kill the canon and replace it with original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back