• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Nomura speaks on DLC plans for Kingdom Hearts 3 in Dengeki interview

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

In a recent interview with Dengeki Playstation, Kingdom Hearts series director Tetsuya Nomura spoke on the sales figures of Kingdom Hearts 3 and future update and DLC plans for the massively popular title. The full translation will be coming very soon which will contain spoilers, but for now you can read about the DLC plans below:

When asked about how he felt about the impressive sales numbers for Kingdom Hearts 3, Nomura stated that with the combined digital sales and shipped units, Kingdom Hearts 3 has far exceeded his expectations. Nomura also revealed that they are currently working on DLC for the game which has made his sleep schedule much shorter since the game has released.

Nomura addressed the lack of Critical Mode in Kingdom Hearts 3, something many fans have considered a mainstay of the series since Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix's release back in 2006. In the past, Critical Mode was an addition made to the Final Mix version of Kingdom Hearts titles, Nomura said, reassuring fans that it is coming later on in a future download. The development team didn't just want to just change the strength of the enemies and release that, but to make a well-polished and unique mode so fans may find pleasure in replaying Kingdom Hearts 3 in Critical Mode. 

Dengeki asked Nomura to speak a bit about their DLC plans and the possibility of a Final Mix for Kingdom Hearts 3. Normally they would create a full package with all of the additions they want to make for a Kingdom Hearts title, Nomura elaborated, but this time the plans is to release free DLC through future updates and to also release paid DLC with a lot of content in it as a batch. The plan right now is to get new DLC out as soon as possible within the year.

Nomura also spoke about the future of Kingdom Hearts, stating that they are currently discussing what that may be but have nothing set in stone at the moment. Nomura has quite a bit on his plate this year.

Look forward to our full translations of the Dengeki Playstation interview and follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on FacebookTwitter, and Tumblr for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts 3 and all things Kingdom Hearts

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
IF ANY OF Y'ALL DISCUSS ANYTHING I DID NOT TRANSLATE IN THIS INTERVIEW (AKA THE SPOILER STUFF) I WILL BAN YOU. THERE IS A FULL ONE COMING LATER ON WHICH YOU ALL CAN GO CRAZY DISCUSSING BUT FOR NOW DLC AND NO SPOILERS. NONE. NOT EVEN A HINT OF IT.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Thank goodness about Critical being more than just buffed enemies. I hoped that was why it was taking longer. I am confused if it will be a part of the paid package. I mean I personally don't care so I will definitely get that, but I foresee people complaining about it being withheld content. Which I guess would be fair, as long as they don't praise Kh2 for doing the same thing in the process lol.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Nice to hear that Critical Mode will be more than just buffed enemies. Would be great if the Org. XIII fights were made to be less underwhelming.

The DLCs better contain more exploration and actual exploration of certain worlds and about three hours worth of new scenes.
I don't ask for much. Just for the game to stop looking like there's a huge chunk missing.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm confused. So they gonna A.I. increase for critical mode?

He didn’t specify exactly what was being worked on, but that seems to be the implication. He specifically says that they didn’t want to just change numerical values and what they are doing requires polishing and quality testing.

The AI in general is the problem with most of the enemies in KH3.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Nice to hear that Critical Mode will be more than just buffed enemies. Would be great if the Org. XIII fights were made to be less underwhelming.

The DLCs better contain more exploration and actual exploration of certain worlds and about three hours worth of new scenes.
I don't ask for much. Just for the game to stop looking like there's a huge chunk missing.

Same. Also more keyblades and links would be nice.

Sucks that all of this had to come at the expense of Nomura's sleep schedule though.

mriku90

Awards
I'm so hyped for Critical Mode and more DLC. I think we're waiting at least 3 years for the next installment of KH. I don't think we'll be waiting till god knows when again this time.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

I guess I COULD see 3 hours of new scenes lol. Depends the route they go with the DLC stuff. If its just some thrown in stuff like 1 and 2's Final Mix I could see it maybe not quite hitting that mark.

I really want at least one new, large explorable expansion to a world that really needs it ala the Cavern of Remembrance as well.

NoWay

Awards
I want them to deliver us DLCs for the next 2 years to keep ya entertained until the next game releases. KH4 would be nice 2022.

And pleeeeeaase Nomura make Scala ad Caelum explorable

mriku90

Awards
I do think Disney/Nomura realized tthe gold mine they're sitting on from the incredible sales for KH3 even still now. We'll get the next title sooner rather then later. I want all the DLC in the mean time.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
More intuitive AI is nice and, tbh, lack of Critical Mode in the KH series makes a game feel anemic by default, so I'm not surprised at all that it's coming. It should be a part of the free DLC. Come on.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Was Nomura asked about the possibility of a whole new Disney world?

Nope, but Tai Yasue went on record stating that there will be no new worlds as downloadable content. I'm perfectly fine with that, the Disney worlds are universally the most prasied elements of this game anyway.

And for those who want more worlds in this game, that's not a smart business move. Preserve them for upcoming entries.

Pls fix the original worlds.

I think that's exactly what they'll do. The original worlds do not suffer from the Disney approval process, so I can see them making creative additions by expanding Twilight Town. Who knows, maybe we can finally get a playable Radiant Garden!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
More intuitive AI is nice and, tbh, lack of Critical Mode in the KH series makes a game feel anemic by default, so I'm not surprised at all that it's coming. It should be a part of the free DLC. Come on.

I’m certain the smaller stuff will be free but any full experiences will be paid. Critical Mode seems like a no brainer for being a free patch.

Last edited:
Back