• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KH3 Theme Songs "Face My Fears" & "Don't Think Twice" releases 1/18

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Singer-songwriter Hikaru Utada has provided theme songs for Kingdom Hearts since the very first installment of the franchise. Since 2002, fans have been blessed with beautifully memorable tunes from Utada, between Kingdom Hearts 1's Hikari and Simple and Clean, and Kingdom Hearts 2's Passion and Sanctuary. Kingdom Hearts 3's Oath and Don't Think Twice were unveiled in February at D23 Expo 2018 Japan, almost a year before the game itself would even be released. The song immediately captured the hearts of listeners, who felt that it would be the perfect end to this 16-year-long saga. 

However, there was still the game's opening to consider. Past theme songs had two variations to fit the fast-moving pace of the traditional Kingdom Hearts CG openings, with a slower or lengthier version playing as the credits rolled. With Oath and Don't Think Twice having already been revealed, it seemed safe to assume that the song would simply be remixed like the others. It never occurred to anyone that the possibility would exist for a second theme song altogether.

Now, Kingdom Hearts 3's opening theme song has been officially confirmed to be "Face My Fears", a collaboration between Skrillex and Utada Hikaru. It will be released alongside the English-language ending theme "Don't Think Twice" on January 18, 2019.

Utada shares more information about the collaboration on her website, revealing how the idea for a second theme song came to be:

Video Game "KINGDOM HEARTS III"'s Opening Theme "Face My Fears", a Collaboration with Skrillex, Releases January 18, 2019!
It's already been announced that "Oath" would be the ending theme song of the newest entry of the "KINGDOM HEARTS" series created by Disney and SQUARE ENIX, but now an opening theme for "KINGDOM HEARTS III" titled "Face My Fears" is on the way.

The song "Face My Fears" is a collaboration by world-class electro-musician Skrillex and Utada Hikaru!

For years, Skrillex has been an outspoken fan of "KINGDOM HEARTS". Hikaru Utada, who's become close friends with him, initially requested that he create an "Oath" REMIX for the opening. However, Skrillex responded: "I want to make a new song instead of a remix." From that counter-offer, this theme was born.
"Face My Fears" is also produced by a third artist, Poo Bear (who worked on Justin Bieber's "What Do You Mean?" Etc.) who also handles a lot of collaborations with Skrillex and will help put the finishing touches on the opening theme of the game!

This is the first time two different songs have been used for the opening and closing of a "KINGDOM HEARTS" game.

The Japanese version and English versions of the themes, "Face My Fears" and the ending theme "Oath", will be released on January 18, 2019!

This marks the first time Utada Hikaru has released a CD for a single in 11 years since "Prisoner Of Love" released in May 2008.

Catch this when it drops!

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Re: KH3 Theme Songs "Face My Fears" & "Don't Think Twice" releases 1/18

I can’t wait to hear what Killers with an X brings to the table. The big question for me is whether I can avoid the song until I play the game to have that same fresh feeling from 1 and 2 that I thought I wouldn’t have after Don’t Think Twice premiered. (Spoiler alert: the answer is probably no.)

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

Sweet. Hopefully we hear a preview of the opening theme at Paris Game Week

Leaferian

Awards

I wonder if that means there will be parts of DTT left in, or if they cut it away completely. I'm so excited to know this new song is seemingly born of an actual friendship.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

Gosh that's so long to wait for the songs, but it makes sense. I am happy to learn more of the backstory behind this. I am still super psyched.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

Yay! Another song for me to cover! Can't wait to hear what it sounds like :D

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

Oh heck yes, so it sounds like this will also be the first time KH gets a single OP track instead of two variations, which oh my gosh girl just do this beautiful bilingual blend I have been dreaming of since that perfectly merged Passion/Sanctuary for In the Flesh. It's not like Utada doesn't know how to swing between languages already.

I do have a feeling the track is going to be English-language though, which you know what it's fine, Japan just got two full albums I'll take a major theme track.

Also still just as excited for DTT. Admittedly I would have loved to hear what a remix of it sounds like but in both love and war there must be casualties.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

Oh heck yes, so it sounds like this will also be the first time KH gets a single OP track instead of two variations, which oh my gosh girl just do this beautiful bilingual blend I have been dreaming of since that perfectly merged Passion/Sanctuary for In the Flesh. It's not like Utada doesn't know how to swing between languages already.

I do have a feeling the track is going to be English-language though, which you know what it's fine, Japan just got two full albums I'll take a major theme track.

Also still just as excited for DTT. Admittedly I would have loved to hear what a remix of it sounds like but in both love and war there must be casualties.

It *kind* of sounds like there's a Japanese and English version of Face My Fears, but at this point, this whole thing is so unusual who knows

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

Now I wanna know if we will get an orchestrated version of both or just Don’t Think Twice. I’m guessing the Orchestra version of DTT will be used for the “Kairi’s Letter” opening credits sequence that plays when you idle on the title screen too long, if they bring that back instead of playing the game opening like the more recent games.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

It *kind* of sounds like there's a Japanese and English version of Face My Fears, but at this point, this whole thing is so unusual who knows
Hmm yeah the English version of the announcement outright states there will be a Japanese and English version of both "Face My Fears" and "Chikai" so that's cool too.

Anyway nice to get a physical release for it, though with it releasing ahead of the game, there's no way those tracks are going to be fresh once I boot up the first play through. Nope.

shuyin_zer0

Awards

CD release too! She hasn’t had a CD single since Prisoner of Love in 2008

UltimaXOmega

Wow, so it was originally going to be a remix of Oath. Welp, I guess I'll just skip the opening or mute it.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Wow, so it was originally going to be a remix of Oath. Welp, I guess I'll just skip the opening or mute it.

So much for trying to keep an open mind. You haven't even heard it yet.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

You do realize that Skrillex doesn't exclusively make the kind of bass-heavy dubstep he's famous for right? Don't jump to the conclusion that this song is going to be Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites 2.0. I seriously doubt there's going to be some massive bass drop during the opening cinematic, especially given that Skrillex is a massive KH fan. The dude obviously knows Simple & Clean and Sanctuary very well and probably loves them just as much as we do. If anything, that will lend itself well to the fact that he will want to do the opening for KH3 justice because he loves the franchise so much.

Skrillex's style has also changed over the years. We're more than likely going to get something that sounds something like this, but obviously with Utada's vocals:

[video=youtube;r-SurvChGFk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-SurvChGFk[/video]

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards

Remember the days we doubted if we would even get one song from Utada? Now we are being bleseed with 2 of them.

Can't wait to hear it!

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

So with the song coming out January 18 that rules out the into being shown at conferences which mean more possibilities for world announcements at upcoming events

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net

You do realize that Skrillex doesn't exclusively make the kind of bass-heavy dubstep he's famous for right? Don't jump to the conclusion that this song is going to be Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites 2.0. I seriously doubt there's going to be some massive bass drop during the opening cinematic, especially given that Skrillex is a massive KH fan. The dude obviously knows Simple & Clean and Sanctuary very well and probably loves them just as much as we do. If anything, that will lend itself well to the fact that he will want to do the opening for KH3 justice because he loves the franchise so much.

Skrillex's style has also changed over the years. We're more than likely going to get something that sounds something like this, but obviously with Utada's vocals:

[video=youtube;r-SurvChGFk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-SurvChGFk[/video]

He still won't like it, then again most have been negative about the game or the same types of Im worried, what will ruin the game for me, etc' pops up every time and mostly new or same member. Hell he'd take one listen and hate it, I want to be surprised so won't listen to give a open mind of his work . If this was a singer to people's least favorite singers, it would be far worse than them.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

So with the song coming out January 18 that rules out the into being shown at conferences which mean more possibilities for world announcements at upcoming events

No, it doesn’t. We heard Chikai long before it was actually released. I actually think all this info is coming out now because they’ll show the intro at either NYCC or Paris Games Week.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

No, it doesn’t. We heard Chikai long before it was actually released. I actually think all this info is coming out now because they’ll show the intro at either NYCC or Paris Games Week.
oh yeah good point thank zip

JR199913

Bronze Member
Awards

I think this is awesome news. I like Skrillex, though it's not the first band I think of when someone says Kingdom Hearts. Which makes this so much more exciting. Now do I listen to it when it's released, or when I play the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back