• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Yoko Shimomura to compose Kingdom Hearts III

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

While this should come as no surprise to anybody who has followed the series up until now, today during the Square Enix Music Composer Special Talk Show at Tokyo Game Show 2013, composer Yoko Shimomura confirmed that she will be working on the soundtrack for Kingdom Hearts III. Yoko Shimomura has served as the main composer since the series creation over eleven years ago, creating dozens of iconic and memorable tracks like "Destati" and "Dearly Beloved" that have become an integral part of the Kingdom Hearts experience.

Along with the soundtrack for Kingdom Hearts III, Shimomura has recently been working on music for the PC broswer game Kingdom Hearts χ[chi] and Square Enix's highly-anticipated action RPG, Final Fantasy XV. Kingdom Hearts III currently has no release date, but will be released worldwide on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Follow us on here on our website and forums, as well as through TwitterFacebook and Tumblr for all the latest KH news.

Pictured: Yoko Shimomura, Kenji Ito, & Yasunori Mitsuda

Source: Photo via Square Enix Events 

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
I'm curious to see if Ishimoto, or Sekito are involved.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I swear, she was giving me a heart attack the entire 2-3 minutes she was rushing through with her final comments. Glad to see she's announced it outright. It really doesn't need a confirmation, but some fans do prefer information straight from the mouths of the staff before they believe it, even if it's obvious.

Can't wait til we hear the first track from KH3.

I'm assuming she's referring to KHx's Dearly Beloved with that other comment. I remember she had replied to Ethy previously to confirm that it's a new composition by her!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
She also mentioned she wants to do a concert and a new CD. I would love both, and for the second to be KH remastered album~

I'm curious to see if Ishimoto, or Sekito are involved.

Yeah, this is what I'm definitely waiting more info about. We'll probably find out closer to release in the next few years when everything is more real.

Expect, but great news anyway.

Of course. It is nice to hear it straight from her, though. We rarely see Shimomura in a public setting doing interviews, so whatever piece of info she has even if it is expected (or p much confirmed) is nice.

I'm assuming she's referring to KHx's Dearly Beloved with that other comment. I remember she had replied to Ethy previously to confirm that it's a new composition by her!

Yeah *u*

WastedPenguin

Awards
I am very excited about the great soundtracks that awaits us!
And i wanna know how the intro song will be like and if Utada will sing it again.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
It was to be expected, but nice to see it being confirmed either way.

I hope there's more Ishimoto involvement as well. The guy's work on Type-0 (*sobsob* really wanna play that game) never fails to impress me, even after so many listens. Not too familiar with Sekito's work, but I know the tracks he's done for Kingdom Hearts. It would be cool to see more of him as well!

And we all know who else we want to see returning...Utada, where r u, gurl?

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Please no midi in KHIII. PLEASE NO MIDI. I can't go back to those goddamn violins from KHII, I can't do it, man. I.5 has treated me too nicely.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Dude those violins are too nice lmao

MOAR VIOLINS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Please no midi in KHIII. PLEASE NO MIDI. I can't go back to those goddamn violins from KHII, I can't do it, man. I.5 has treated me too nicely.

Why would it be midi? A lot of Shimomura's compositions seem to be made for live orchestral and with the PS4 having the power and space for that kind of quality and because 1.5 has orchesrtral, and Shimomura has a major obsession with the demon violins and piano, it will just have to be orchestra.

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate KH2's OST with a burning passion.

Why were they involved with BBS and DDD?

Anyway, I'd prefer if they weren't. I like I and II's ost more than BBS's and DDD's.

Ishimoto's style is a lot more rounded and edgy. He can go from hip-hop to j-pop girl band to orchestrated beauty at any moment's notice. Also his BBS tracks are honestly really good. I can't imagine fighting Vanitas without his music.

Keiji Kawamori, everybody's favorite synth programmer at SE since forever and bassist in the Black Mages (Uematsu's band), asked Ishimoto to join on to BBS.

"My involvement began with a single phone call from Kawamori of the sound staff, saying "can you help?". My suprised reaction of "What, not me??" was met with a no, "we're going with you, Ishimoto". We began sort of like, "okay, but I want to choose which tracks I do". In the beginning I was quite anxious, but with the way it turned out, I am now filled with gladness that we did it that way. It's always great to have a chance to try new things, and I've learned that it's important to take that first step without complaint."

And Sekito has known Shimomura for years, well known for working on games like Chrono Trigger, Parasite Eve II, Brave Fencer Musashi, the Last Remnant and a lot more, and I'm sure Shimomura and Kawamori wanted his help on BBS.

For KH3D, it was known that TWEWY would be in the game and since TWEWY is composed by Ishimoto, it was pretty much up to him to make the new arrangements. Then he saw Tron: Legacy and immediately asked to compose those songs as well. He's no Daft Punk or Joseph Trapanese but his own style leans toward what was needed for the Grid. I think Shimomura was kind of happy to not have to do it xD

It looks like Sekito was approached as well about KH3D and said yes. His style definitely fit the "Dream" theme Nomura wanted out of the OST.

I think with such a big project that KH3 will be in terms of music, I would probably expect them again if there is a lot of work and a specific style needed that they work well with.

I personally hated KH2's direction. It wasn't bad, but nothing from that game was very memorable besides "Riku" and "Roxas"/"The Other Promise" and it all sounded like a mess on the PS2. I think it has to do with the weird synth direction, which is why I hope this time for 2.5 Shimomura can rearrange and orchestrate ALL of KH2's OST because there are quite a few songs that would benefit from the addition of some live music power behind the notes.

KINGDOM HEARTS 3D Sound Team Interview (Famitsu, April 26 Issue)! - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

Destructoid Interviews KH3D Sound Team! - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

I am very excited about the great soundtracks that awaits us!
And i wanna know how the intro song will be like and if Utada will sing it again.

We probably wouldn't learn who is singing the theme for the game until the year they are ready to release.

It was to be expected, but nice to see it being confirmed either way.

I hope there's more Ishimoto involvement as well. The guy's work on Type-0 (*sobsob* really wanna play that game) never fails to impress me, even after so many listens. Not too familiar with Sekito's work, but I know the tracks he's done for Kingdom Hearts. It would be cool to see more of him as well!

And we all know who else we want to see returning...Utada, where r u, gurl?

I cry over Ishimoto's OST for Type-0. Honestly his best work yet. I love TWEWY, I love CCFFVII, but Type-0 will probably go down as the game he is best known for because it is such a powerful album.

It's not really clear why.

Read my answers above in this post.

Dude those violins are too nice lmao

MOAR VIOLINS

Yes please ;A;

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Omg, that picture. Someone get Yoko a keyblade to pose with. xD Who is with her, btw?

And it's nice to have some shred of info on KHIII, even if it was predictable. Woman definitely has her plate full with some pretty overwhelming titles.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Omg, that picture. Someone get Yoko a keyblade to pose with. xD Who is with her, btw?

And it's nice to have some shred of info on KHIII, even if it was predictable. Woman definitely has her plate full with some pretty overwhelming titles.

I knew I forgot something under the pic. The man with the tea at his nose is Kenji Ito, best known for composing for the SaGa series, Legend of Mana series. Yasunori Mitsuda is the guy in the back, best known for his work on Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Chrono Cross...

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Well, glad to know she's back. ^ _^ I really couldn't imagine the KH games without her beautiful music.:3 Can't wait to hear the KH3 music as I play it.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I personally hated KH2's direction. It wasn't bad, but nothing from that game was very memorable besides "Riku" and "Roxas"/"The Other Promise" and it all sounded like a mess on the PS2. I think it has to do with the weird synth direction, which is why I hope this time for 2.5 Shimomura can rearrange and orchestrate ALL of KH2's OST because there are quite a few songs that would benefit from the addition of some live music power behind the notes.

It was definitely the synth direction. In terms of compositions I actually like more songs from KH2 than KH1, but the way the tracks were synthed really messed up a lot of the tracks. KH2 strings were gross, so glad that they did them properly in BBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back