• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Square Enix Channel Interviews Tetsuya Nomura

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Earlier today, Voice Actor Hiroki Yasumoto interviewed Kingdom Hearts Series Creator Tetsuya Nomura for the Square Enix Channel (Around the 5 hour mark). He talked about Kingdom Hearts -HD 1.5 ReMIX- and Kingdom Hearts III. Thanks to the lovely Goldpanner, we have a translation for this interview, which you can read below!

Introducing Tetsuya Nomura
- Yasumoto commiserates with Nomura, who is very tired and has been doing a lot of talking today.
- Nomura caught a cold just before departure, and he is losing his voice and trying not to cough.
- Nomura hasn't been walking around E3 as he has been in interviews the whole time due to the big announcements.
- Yasumoto reads a basic intro to the KH series.

KH 1.5
- They note that KH 1.5 has already released in Japan, and will release overseas in September.
- As the trailer plays, Yasumoto gives a basic description of KH 1.5 and mentions speaking with animation supervisor Tatsuya Kando about KH 1.5 on the Square Enix Channel radio show in March.
- When Yasumoto mentions being impressed at the length of and the effort put into the Days video volume, Nomura says that they didn't intend on making it so long from the beginning, and that they actually began work without being sure how long it would end up. He says that as it became so long anyway, he almost wishes he had just gone and made an actual film. 
- Nomura affirms that it was difficult to create the HD remaster. He says that as the original title was so old, almost all the original data was gone. The programmers began the project by digging around for data, and they had to work out everything for themselves bit by bit, as they were working with other people's programs rather than programs they had made themselves. It was apparently a huge job to recreate everything. 

KH3
- While Yasumoto is excited about KH3 finally on the way after so much waiting, mentioning that KH2 was released in 2005, Nomura says he hasn't felt aware of the time passing at all! Yasumoto says that's probably to be expected since there have been games out every year anyway. Nomura says, however, hearing that seven or eight years have passed does make him think it's been a bit too long. He says he has been thinking he really needs to hurry up and do it.
- When Yasumoto asks how work on the numbered titles begin, Nomura says that he thinks of a numbered title as something following the pattern of KH1, with Sora as protagonist and Donald and Goofy as friends that come with you.
- Nomura agrees that during the concept stage it is simple. There hadn't been anything plot-wise that fit so far, so they had continued with spin offs.
- Yasumoto confirms that is has been 8 years since KH2 was released. Nomura agrees that it's taken a bit too long. 
- On the topic of gameplay and battling, Nomura says since it's a numbered title they plan to evolve the basic style of KH2, while perhaps incorporating some of the elements of gameplay they challenged themselves to develop for the spin off titles. Apparently there will be a lot of gameplay from KH3D in particular, and he thinks you can feel the future KH3 in that game.
- When asked whether people who are completely new to the KH series will be able to enjoy KH3 without playing any other titles, Nomura is unsure! He says that when he decided to make KH3, he decided he would also have to make 1.5. Nomura hopes people will play and enjoy 1.5, especially now that KH3 has been announced.
- They talk about the difficulties of working on new hardware such as the PS4 and XBONE. Nomura says that they way they have to make the game is very different from how they have done things so far. They are using the method of making the base of the whole thing on PC and then adjusting for the features of each console, which is apparently the best way to go about ported projects. 
- There are many challenges in making a ported game, but Nomura is confident he and his team will overcome them.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Interesting to see that nomura agrees with his fans on days being better as an actual movie.

Edit: and I still can't believe how much data they reportedly had to recreate bit by bit. You'd think they could've just snagged a copy of the game and used at least a model viewer and a couple of hacks on a PC. This goes way beyond Toy Story, which when pixar made TS3, they had the data but couldn't animate with it.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
- When Yasumoto mentions being impressed at the length of and the effort put into the Days video volume, Nomura says that they didn't intend on making it so long from the beginning, and that they actually began work without being sure how long it would end up. He says that as it became so long anyway, he almost wishes he had just gone and made an actual film.

They had no idea at the amount of work they were undertaking omg.

- Nomura affirms that it was difficult to create the HD remaster. He says that as the original title was so old, almost all the original data was gone. The programmers began the project by digging around for data, and they had to work out everything for themselves bit by bit, as they were working with other people's programs rather than programs they had made themselves. It was apparently a huge job to recreate everything.
God that would have been horrible. Having to find the original files, and then some of them were deleted ;A;

- Yasumoto confirms that is has been 8 years since KH2 was released. Nomura agrees that it's taken a bit too long.
Thanks Nomura!

- There are many challenges in making a ported game, but Nomura is confident he and his team will overcome them.
Lets just hope it doesn't detract away from actually developing the game :p

Wave57

Awards
Thanks goldpanner for trnaslating and King Chaser for making the thread! :)

The part I like most was when Nomura said that he really needs t hurry up and do it. Don't rush quality though Nomura, be careful.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
You know, now that I think of it, with so much data missing, I winder how many of the animations were they able to find? How much could they have easily replaced? Animation is notoriously hard, so imagine such a small team doing all those cutscenes.

either way, Thank you, Goldpanner and King Chaser.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
So I guess with that:
- When Yasumoto asks how work on the numbered titles begin, Nomura says that he thinks of a numbered title as something following the pattern of KH1, with Sora as protagonist and Donald and Goofy as friends that come with you.

We can probably bury any discussion about a true party system that includes the other major characters, can't we?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
They do?
Multiple protagonists would probably be the icing on the cake.
I would already be satisfied if you could choose other party members to accompany you though.
Maybe. I dunno. I thought I read it in the other interview, but can't find it D:

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
Just a thought when reading this:

When I was younger I used to hate fighting alone in games, so when I saw Donald and Goofy helping me, it made me feel happy. But then I got to the part of Ansem Heartless and had to fight alone for the first time in the game (exclude Olympus Coliseum) it sucked. I died so many times and finally got the hang of it. After that I was was like, "I never what to do that again."

Then CoM came... and tables were thrown.

But really after that, I became accustomed to fight alone, not just in KH, but in other games. To the point where if I go back to KH or KH2, I feel weird being helped, since in the last few games, most of the time you have no party members.

So reason I'm writing this, is while I got pissed like crazy because of that, it was a challenge and I did enjoy it after a year of ranting. I hope there's a point in KH3, where you can't have Donald and Goofy to mess players up and make it a bit more challenging.

Just a thought and IMO.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
No worries, guys! Poor Nomura, you could really tell he's not feeling so well. I have a cold myself right now so I am commiserating ;A:/

SoraroS

Awards
He says that fans will need to play the older games in order to understand KH3! KH 1.5 Remix HD will be damn good for that but I hope there's also a release of a KH 2.5 including KH2FM and KHBBS in HD!

Xagzan

Awards
Confirmation: Nomura was not aware 8 years had passed until this moment. :tongue:

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
He says that fans will need to play the older games in order to understand KH3! KH 1.5 Remix HD will be damn good for that but I hope there's also a release of a KH 2.5 including KH2FM and KHBBS in HD!

i doult there a kingdom 2.5 i think i want to be focus on kh3 and xv so they can release bt you may never know it normura after all anyway some about him saying that master xenteroti is fav and xenornt hearless makes me that xenhnort hearless is the true enemy maybe all a long he master xeninort is being just like a puppet by him just a theroy

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
No worries, guys! Poor Nomura, you could really tell he's not feeling so well. I have a cold myself right now so I am commiserating ;A:/
Yeah, you gotta admire his commitment.

i doult there a kingdom 2.5 i think i want to be focus on kh3 and xv so they can release bt you may never know it normura after all anyway some about him saying that master xenteroti is fav and xenornt hearless makes me that xenhnort hearless is the true enemy maybe all a long he master xeninort is being just like a puppet by him just a theroy
I'm pretty sure the Old Man is still the main enemy here.

Last edited:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
i doult there a kingdom 2.5 i think i want to be focus on kh3 and xv so they can release bt you may never know
Nomura said it would be unnatural for there not to be a second collection in an interview after 1.5 was announced.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
Nomura said it would be unnatural for there not to be a second collection in an interview after 1.5 was announced.

listern i know he said bt would common sense say do a recap in kh3 of the last couple games like they do in kh2 but you may know until tgs wihich i cant wait for kh 3 news to come out but isnt ood though they annouce it at e3 first instead of tgs first this is my opion though i think they going go for worldwide release

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
listern i know he said bt would common sense
Which suggests there will be one... especially with the ending credits of 1.5 showcasing KH2, BBS and Re:Coded.

say do a recap in kh3 of the last couple games like they do in kh2
I'd hardly count that as a recap, lol.

but you may know until tgs wihich i cant wait for kh 3 news to come out
What??? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

but isnt ood though they annouce it at e3 first instead of tgs first
It's unusual for the series but it's not odd per say. KH does a lot better in North America than it does in Japan and E3 is highly publicized so it makes a lot of sense for it to have been revealed there.

this is my opion though i think they going go for worldwide release
It's not impossible.

Awards
They're still considering multiple protagonists~

They'd better be. After all this buildup with seven Keyblade wielders having to save the day, it wouldn't feel right to have just Sora be the main party member, let alone the sole playable character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back