• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Zetman

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Actually, the first episode is pretty different from the opening part of the manga. Now, it's nothing that will change the overall story (even the biggest change didn't do that), but there were a lot of differences (including quite a few scenes that were cut out for the sake of time). I'll get into what I think about the changes when I write up my impressions on it, but they are definitely there.

All the same, a great first episode, and I love the animation.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I've actually seen quite a few fans up in arms over this adaptation (not that it isn't expected when an anime adaptation dare differ from the source material), and I can understand the frustration since a lot of the emotional investment and character building moments are lost for the sake of hitting all the main points in the introductory arc (especially in the context that this will only last for 13 episodes).

But man do I hate it when people say that the story is irreparably damaged; or worse, that the manga itself has been effectively ruined by the adaptation's very existence. Again, a lot of what made the manga's opening great is lost in the far more fast-paced anime, but not to the point where theme's are completely lost or that this is enough to say that the show is already destroyed.

And don't even get me started on the general notion of adaptation vs. source material `3`

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
From what I've seen, this has been listed as having 13 episodes. Whether this applies to the series or only to the season, I don't know. However, given the speed of the events, I'm inclined to believe the former. The amount that they were willing to change and the opening theme makes me think that an anime original ending is planned as well.

The early childhood arc was mostly concluded with episode one. Episode two will feature the next part: The fire. I'm guessing that episode three will be young Kouga's main ordeal.

EDIT: Just so that I don't misinform anyone, most episode count listings (especially when it's 1 cour) should be taken with a grain of salt. It's not officially confirmed to be only 13 episodes, though it is a possibility.

Last edited:

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
From what I've seen, this has been listed as having 13 episodes. Whether this applies to the series or only to the season, I don't know. However, given the speed of the events, I'm inclined to believe the former. The amount that they were willing to change and the opening theme makes me think that an anime original ending is planned as well.

Honestly, that'd be pretty lame. There's absolutely no need to rush through it all and give us an ending that will probably be inferior to what Katsura is actually planning. i can understand leaving out a few things for the sake of pacing, but if it's towards that end, I don't agree at all.

I'll still watch it through, of course, but I'd be disappointed.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Ok so I just watched the episode. While I don't care for the condensing of the story or the fact that Kouga and Jin already knew each other, they still did an ok job of evoking sadness from you when Gramps died, despite the absence of the numerous character moments from the manga, and the ending with the episode title was surprisingly poignant considering the point of the episode was, yes, emotions jin didn't know of. The same can't really be sad for Konoha's attraction to Jin though, their moments being removed really ruins that dynamic between the two. The animation is really really slick and does a good job of maintaining katsura's style. The score was rather forgettable and "not there", which is sad because that's another thing the series doesn't have going for it.

Overall I'm kind of disappointed, but I'll still be watching this all the way through.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Yeah. The main problem is that it's treating this as a more typical (albeit superbly animate) dark action story. While it does a good job as that and would be something that those looking for some good action will probably like, it's hard not to notice all the character moments that help make the manga stand out apart from the fantastic art.

With this first episode, I've already given up on them adapting it faithfully, but I am interested to see where they plan to go with this.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Glad I didn't read the manga already. I only watched 5 minutes of this, tried stopping at 2. Waiting for my brother to get home to sort of make this our new weekly series to watch together.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
Hopefully they give the woman that adopts Jin more time than the old man. Her story was one of my favorite parts of the whole series, and does more to shape Jin as a character than anything else.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Thought it had some really nice animation during the fights. Plot wise I can sort of see where this is heading, and I'll let it see where it goes. The scene where Jin realized what happened to Gramps really killed me though, that was some emotional stuff. I was somewhat impressed, but I'll let the series continue on before I give any further judgements.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Hopefully they give the woman that adopts Jin more time than the old man. Her story was one of my favorite parts of the whole series, and does more to shape Jin as a character than anything else.

well they already cut out a lot of it (for one thing, i'm assuming the abusive pimp ex-boyfriend is not going to be in this because of the different origin of her facial scar), so i'm not sure how that's going to go. i do hope they give her a little more time though, i liked her story very much as well.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
Really liked the first episode, Katsura's style hasn't been lost at all which is great news. Can totally see about the cutting out of emotional and development scenes between Jin and Gramps and Akemi but the scenes they kept told us all we needed to know really so I can't say too much was lost, but I can't say if thats because I've read the manga so know their relationships already or not.

Trag

Bronze Member
The pacing has been bad, but other than that Ep. 2 was pretty sweet, I love the demons so far.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
So ep 3 is out.

This was a pretty good episode, the pacing is slightly better than in the past 2 and we get more character building moments with Jin and everyone else.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
i really hope that they don't turn the jirou incident into a flashback sequence

but yeah, definitely the best of the three episodes so far

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Oh, it's pretty much anime original right now (save for the fact that they are basing this arc around an arc from the manga), but it's not all that bad for what it is.

Manga's better though `3`

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back