• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Yuri!!! On ICE

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
How much longer until a subbed version of the new episode is out? Indeed, the wait is like torture!

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Watched the stream, aaand as expected a good episode again!

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Do you know what happens when you take condensed Mamoru Miyano, maple syrup, and Canadian hockey and blend it together? You get Jean-Jacques Leroy, the most crazy ice skater ever. I love him.

Makkachin ;~;

Will be back to post sub thoughts <3

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Great episode. But I already can't stand JJ. The triplets had me laughing a lot, as usual!

8c6afadcb4ac7d57b5746f364b274bcfa3c33f103257f8378c97f22d66bc1f0c.jpg

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
For some reason the introduction of JJ made me realize how much I love every single skater on this show. There's no way I could be a rational judge for these programs, I would be sending everyone to the Grand Prix. I also love the way the show continues to use the ice as like a magic bottle to present how the characters process everything and channel it, contextualized by the hard work they have to do off the ice in the "real world" to take care of both themselves and their relationships. Episode 7 pleasantly subverted my expectations in this regard! I thought for sure Yurio was going to come out and shut everyone else down because it's the obvious dramatic choice, but they decided he's actually a character and not a plot device so he gets to struggle with realistic shortcomings and have an arc all his own! It was quite clever given how they were framing everything for him during Yuuri's program: and then for JJ to come out and really steal the spotlight, it sets up a whole new dynamic. Couldn't be happier with that turn of events.

Also since I didn't get a chance to comment on it, episode 6 was perfect in my opinion. The frenetic pacing of the show really paid off in a big way as it touched on the central emotional involvement of Yuuri and Viktor's relationship through the lens of the other characters' performances, while painting even starker a contrast between the two which worked as a genuine moment precisely because it didn't linger the way most shows would. I actually thought the moment of confrontation was more important and worthy of celebration than the kiss at the end: the kiss was certainly earned, but it functioned as an extension of that telling conflict and the ways in which it informed Yuuri's performance. As for the editing of the kiss itself, I feel like it was meant to convey that Viktor was (consciously or not) signaling the world, because he's a big celebrity and he likes to throw his weight around (as he's literally throwing himself at Yuuri). Viktor is maybe a bit too comfortable on the world stage and I wonder about his decision to make that moment with Yuuri public.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So it would considered shouen-ai? (sp?)

Shounen or shonen-ai would be the spelling c:

I wouldn't call it that either, although it features canon bisexual and gay males. Again, I hesitate to classify it as anything because honestly it is something that shouldn't be pushed into a box. It should be, instead, normalized as a part of any genre of anime.

Perhaps the best way to say it is...We have romance in shounen series but don't suddenly file them under the romance genre. It doesn't need to be considered shounen-ai when it is already a sports anime. Just like No. 6 is a sci-fi/dystopian series but it isn't called shounen-ai. Or Samurai Flamenco for that matter.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Another amazing episode.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Idk how I'm going to handle this series ending, it's literally the highlight of my week. So on point every time, the perfect mixture of funny and emotional.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
This episode was out of this world amazing! I'm so unbelievably happy! I'd say this is the best anime I've watched all season. <3

Damn, what a number Yurio did in his program. I was clapping at the end of it because, it was all kinds of awesome. I really wanted him to kick JJ out of gold, but at least he made it through to the next round. Then my heart raced even more at his grandpa making those pork cutlet bowl buns of his. Looks so good to eat. And ohmygosh can I just say how happy I am that he wanted to root for Yuri?! <3 Those two at the end there. Atop of the sweet ending we got really made my day. AH I LOVE YURI ON ICE!

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Amazing episode as usual. I'm really curious to see where it will go from here!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
This whole episode was perfect from start to finish. The last 5 minutes were especially great. Yurio cares so much while hiding it behind his 15 year old angst. But the last minute and 23 seconds took my breath away. How does this show constantly deliver?

Awards
Every episode I fall in love with show even more. What I love most about it is how much it tell us about a character in such a short amount of time. Every time someone does a routine it's barely three minutes, but by the end you understand all you need to know about them. We see how they think, how they feel, not just about themselves, but the people around them. Yurio's routine this last episode is my current favorite in that regard.

But, thinking of the future, and what's going to happen once the Grand Prix finals start, in my heart of hearts I don't see how Yuri can win. I want to believe that he can, and I hope he does, but seeing how good both JJ and Yurio I just don't see it. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. It would be great see Yuri throw everything on the table in his last skate, and have my mind blown. But, more than anything, I just want to see Yuri happy, even if he does lose.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Every episode I fall in love with show even more. What I love most about it is how much it tell us about a character in such a short amount of time. Every time someone does a routine it's barely three minutes, but by the end you understand all you need to know about them. We see how they think, how they feel, not just about themselves, but the people around them. Yurio's routine this last episode is my current favorite in that regard.

But, thinking of the future, and what's going to happen once the Grand Prix finals start, in my heart of hearts I don't see how Yuri can win. I want to believe that he can, and I hope he does, but seeing how good both JJ and Yurio I just don't see it. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. It would be great see Yuri throw everything on the table in his last skate, and have my mind blown. But, more than anything, I just want to see Yuri happy, even if he does lose.

I think Yuuri can do it. He's proven he can accomplish amazing feats when he lets go of his fears and anxieties. Yuuri would need to be in a completely empty and free headspace for him to be able to reach the levels that JJ and Yurio are at, though.

I have this strong feeling he isn't going to just do one quad flip at the end of his FS, but he's going to do something insane like a quad axel during the whole thing which is practically impossible (then YOI will turn into a sci-fi show where scientists analyze everything about Yuuri to figure out how he did it).

This hasn't been so much about Yuuri winning but learning how to love himself and accept love, but his skating has reflected that love since he's met Victor. By Yuuri and Victor becoming as close as two people could ever be together, it would not be surprising in the least that his GPF FS will reach the pinnacle of ice skating.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
So many good moments in this episode: Yuri's exhausted hug-athon, Yurio trying to escape the friendship hug, sharing pork cutlet bread things, Yuri and Victor at the end, all the skating, this show never stops being good.

Also, it's totally horrible for me to say, but I kinda, a little bit hope JJ breaks an ankle during his last routine. x'D

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
You're not alone. JJ is annoying. So full of himself. That boy needs a slice of humble pie!

EDIT: Wohoo! My favourite YouTube pianist covered the opening song!

[video=youtube;LYhIWornR7U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYhIWornR7U[/video]

Last edited:

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Oh man I don't even know what to say about this episode. Is this show even real?? I can't believe all that just happened. Now Yuuri absolutely has to win.... But as 11/10 as this episode was, I'm kind of worried about next weeks previews. Is there going to be drama? Please no drama only happy gays and pretty skating. Also Yurio making friends was adorable more of that.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Amazing episode. Sadly, only two more to go now.

And yup, there are still lots of people in denial out there. "Just a very close friendship!".

Last edited:
Back