• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Xigbar = Secondary Guardian? -Mother's Theory (Days spoilers?)-

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerOverNothing

Hanging with Xiggy and Roxy on the clock tower~
Website
terrafan4242.deviantart.com
Another one of my late night posts. Oh well, I hope you guys don't mind it, at lest I'm becoming less shy in relation to making threads. I suppose it's just the fact that the first time I tried to post a theory, I got flammed out. Oh well! Let's just forget about the past and focus on the now, as they say.

Anyway, I've been talking to my mother about Kingdom Hearts lately, and it is no surprise that she is a big fan of the series as I am. I managed to get her hooked to the storyline and to the Org. during my playthroughs of two and most importantly...358/2 Days. I showed her to the characters and their personalities and sooner than I could say "Roxas", she started coming up with some of the most random and out of the world theories.

And out of the kindness of my little daughterly heart, after she asked me what this board thought about her theories, I decided that I would post one of them up here to see for myself. And do my best to try and back it up with logic. Although, pleased be aware that it's nearly four in the morning here and my mind isn't working as fully as it should. But nevertheless, I feel like I should do something nice for my momma. Since she did buy me Days afterall. Heh! :D

Okay, so after I played through Days the first time through, my mother took me aside after I told her I had fallen in love with Xigbar and Roxas's relationship and she just started to break it down and come up with this:

That Xigbar, like Axel, was Roxas's secondary guardian and cared for him as the little redhead did. *dodges things getting thrown* I know! I gave her this odd look that night she said that. But after a bit of research, I actually decided that the theory isn't all that far fetched in Days. Why? Well, I'll tell you. Sit down kiddies, it'll be a long ride. *coughahem*

----

Let's take a look at Xigbar here for a minute. In the beginning of Days, when Roxas first came into the Org, Xigbar paid hardly any attention to him, with slight remarks here and there about him needing to get out and be useful to the group. And that was all you got to see, because Saix had appointed Axel to look out for Roxas and teach him what he knew, and you were seeing things from Roxas's point of view, right? So it makes sense that Xigbar shouldn't have cared for the "new kid".

What gets me to thinking about this crazy theory is what happens after Saix told Axel to go to Castle Oblivion. In the manga---if you consider it to be canon at all, right after Axel left and Roxas sees the board about what members are gone, there is one panel where Xigbar looks over at Roxas and utters "He'll be eaten alive."

(Also in the very beginning after Axel basicly brushes Vexen off and good ol' Hojo--errr...Vexen screams "Don't get cocky just because you were chosen to look after him!" Xigbar says "That Axel's better at taking care of people than he looks." With this questioning look on his face. But nevermind that.)

Now, in the actual game, on Day 24 (I believe that was the day right *after* Axel leaves. I cannot remember right now.) is where Roxas walks in on Demyx, Xigbar and Xion talking to one another and that is where Xigbar first calls him "Kiddo" and starts to coddle/bug him as he does throughout the rest of the game.

Quite interesting to see that Xigbar went from someone who barley acknowadged Roxas at the beginning of the game to someone who turned around and started to call him pet names and such cute things, after Axel left Roxas's side. If you think about it, it was really surprising to see it come from nothing.

(Also in the novel, again take it as canon or not--it's up to you, when Xion starts to get worried about Roxas's coma state Xigbar goes "You worried? Heh heh, you’re so cute, Poppet. I can take you to see him after [your mission.]" Something small, but it could be taken in a different context (That Xigbar's been to his room once or twice?) to either help or break this theory.)

Now, what I've come to believe, which I even included in my newest fan fiction in my humble little board here on the fourms...is that somehow, either before or after Axel left for Castle Oblivion that Saix went behind Axel's back (Wouldn't be the first time. Lolzlawl.) and assigned Xigbar to take over as Roxas's teacher and guardian. In case of Axel dying at Castle Oblivion, or, as was stated in the game itself, if he got far too close to Roxas as a friend when he needed a mentor.

(After Roxy and Axel gained their epic friendship in Days, that mentorship in the first few days of the game just...PFFT. Died right there. Axel never truthfully toutured him again, did he? Or have I forgotten something...?)

But after Axel did return, Xigbar did start to act like the boy's teacher, did he not? Even more so than any of the other members in the Org. Why do I believe that? Again, let's take a look here. Just for the sake of logic! *pumps fist*

When Roxas asked his curious little questions to Xigbar, Xiggy was one of the few members that answered them without much annoyence (Compare it to Vexen or...perhaps even Xaldin.), and went into serious mode when he did so. (Meaning that in his emote(?) he wore a serious face. That shall be called the teaching face.) Take Days 26 and 117 for example of this verison of Xigbar. (Agrabah and Olympus Coliseum) He was patient with him.

He also assigned extra missions to Roxas in the Grey Room that pushed his limits (And the players! Gosh, Xiggy!) to the max and always said it was the sake of him not losing his edge. (Why I added this was because other members, like Xaldin and Luxy, just assigned him things related to his keyblade and their own such desires.)

And also the little "I care about your future, Roxas." thing that happened twice in the game. Once he did it with his "Teacher face", when Roxas jokingly accused him of ditching on him. (He was smiling afterall.) And then the final time Xigbar did it with his normal snarky face, and before that he told Roxas to "Show [him] all that he learned." (From him? Or from the Coliseum? Heh!)

Although, I have to say that one thing my mother always seems to bother me on is the mission on day 301/302 in Halloween Town. There are a lot of things there that just makes myself, and my mother, completely and utterly spazz out. Excuse us for that, but it just has to happen.

It was because of the callback to Kingdom Hearts II that I saw during the middle of the mission. Don't know what I'm refering to here? It was when Roxas was in the graveyard looking for Xigbar and all those Mega-Shadows popped out of nowhere and he was surrounded by them. Out of nowhere Xigbar slew them all with his guns, in a similiar fason as he did with Sora in Kingdom Hearts II in the World That Never Was when Sora himself was overwhelmed.

And wasn't it at that time that the Org knew Roxas had awakened in Sora? Thus why Xigbar screamed "Sora! Roxas!" to him before the battle? Because he knew that somewhere inside Roxas was still aware of what was happening? Thus he protected Roxas twice in the same way, right? *cough* Anyway...

(Something else I noticed. This probably means JACK compared to anything. But before Xigbar does fight Sora, and Sora screams "Are you done rambling?!" to him, you can see that smile of Xigbar fade away, and when he goes "Rambling? As if!" in quite a...well, I'm not sure how you discribe the voice James did here. But it was not like his normal voice, it was...less playful than normal.

But after that, I notice Xigbar paused before telling Sora his time was off. He pauses, looks away from Sora for nearly two seconds, and then he threatens him. Interesting, no?)

What I always find interesting is the fact that when they found their "Giant Heartless", that even when Roxas didn't notice the blade coming towards him, Xigbar pushed him aside so that it wouldn't have hit him. First time I saw that, sure it wasn't anything important. But in regards to the whole scene in context, think about if it had been any other member other than Xigbar or Axel. I believe that none of them would have truly cared about pushing the kid out of the way to save him from a large blade.

Sure you could have said that it was for the fact that if Xigbar hadn't, they might have lost their keyblade bearer and their only way of getting hearts. But wasn't this at the moment in the game where Xion was doing her own little thing out in the worlds and Roxas was getting *weaker*? (At lest close to the mark.) Had Roxas have got injured, would it have truly mattered at this point, since they already had Xion strong enough on her own? No, I don't think so.

So basicly, Xiggy broke character in a sense to protect Roxas for the heck of doing so! Really interesting to note that Xigbar does indeed act rather out of character towards Roxas than the others he's in contact with. But anyway, I'm beginning to ramble a tad too much, am I not? My last little thing that I noticed after I had unlocked everything I could in my second playthrough of Days...

Was that Xigbar brought up Roxas's leaving the Org. in his final secret report. Not too interesting? Well, I think it's really interesting! Because if you think about it, who were the only people that did bring up Roxas's leaving in their final reports? Axel, Saix, Xemnas and Xigbar.

Axel goes without saying, Saix was because of the fact that he was beaten BY Roxas, Xemnas was because that he wanted Roxas back with Xion already gone. But Xigbar did write about him leaving, it wasn't anything utterly mindblowing, just a simple "Roxas left today.". But the fact that he did write about him, and had it among the others that were affected by his leaving, makes you wonder just what was going on his mind during all that.

(Makes the whole "You really shouldn't have betrayed us!" thing at the beginning of the Sora/Xigbar battle more confusing, and/or interesting! Because Xigbar really is the only one who seems to really stick the whole "traitor" thing more than anyone.)

But that is a theory for another day. (One with spoilers, which I would rather not get into.) I suppose that in closing, with my mother's odd ideas and stuff. It's simple to say that she and I now believe that Xigbar was assigned to Roxas as his secondary guardian and that after Axel came back...Xigbar taught him what he could from the sideline and seriously cared for him. (Most likely getting rather connected to him like good ol' Flamey boy had done. No one can resist Roxas. Lawl.)

And why he wrote about what he did in Days, because his leaving got to Xigbar as well. And that basicly explains their relationship they had in Days and why, out of the blue, it popped up as it did. So yeah. That's basicly it.

--------

I'm not trying to say that this is true, for it's most likley NOT true whatsoever. But since she wanted me to post this theory here. I did, with my own logic. :36: Lawl. Sorry to BOMBARD you with a wall of text. But them's the breaks when you're trying to explain something that takes place over the corse of a whole game, don'tcha know?

So yeah. I know that you guys will probably laugh at this whole thing. And I really don't mind it, but could you try to keep the flames down a bit? Please? I mean, this is my mother's original theory after all. So if you have any real discussion, please tell me! I'm quite sure she will get a big head from this, but nevertheless, I'm sure she will be overjoyed to know what you guys think!

...Huh. Thanks for listening I guess! DON'T KILL ME IF THERE ARE ANY DAYS SPOILERS IN HERE. I'm still rather confused rather or not you guys still consider some of this stuff spoilers. ANYWAY. WOOT! :heart:

shamisen

A

Azrael

Blah blah blah

I stopped reading after the first paragraph. I agree. Xigbar loves Roxas as a son.

NumberVIII

Wow, you sure did your research on this. It may be a wall of text, but it's much better to have a long thread with details backing up your point than just going "XIGBAR IS ROXAS' FATHER FIGURE KBYE"

I definitely missed some of those things, like Xiggy pushing Roxy out of harm's way. I like it. Xigbar is awesome ^^

In KH2 before the Sora battle, he makes some comment on how Sora isn't nearly as good a keyblade wielder as "the others". I know it's probably supposed to be a TAV reference, but I'd like to think he's talking about Roxas too, and how he liked Roxas a lot better than Sora even though they're kind of the same person. Maybe. ><

Xenliad

I was very surprised by how nice the game ended up portraying Xigbar. He was like the fun uncle of the Organization.
Demyx said:
What's up with that... I can't imagine he was here on a mission. You never can tell what that guy is thinking...

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Wow, I can't believe I actually read the entire thing.

Originally Posted by WilliamTheWise
Something tells me...

Mainly BBS
Xigbar only liked Roxas for his keyblade.

I agree with this.

PowerOverNothing

Website
*blushes embarrassed* Uh. Wow, thanks for the feedback on the theory, I'll be sure to tell my mother all about this. Like I said, watch her as she gets a big head on this whole shootnmatch. But erm, sorry about the length guys. I suppose taht when I start thinking about something that I really like, I just get a little bit carried away. Sorry!

facepalm

Something tells me...

Mainly BBS

I could agree to that, and it does make sense to me in some way or another. But the only reason I *don't* think that that is merely the case here, is because of one of Xigbar's secret reports. This one:

"Roxas is maturing at an impressive rate. His face, the way he handles the Keyblade, it's all exactly the same.

The worlds seem so divided and alone, but there's always that steady thread there to connect them. And we Nobodies can never escape the things we did as humans. So it goes."

Spoiler Spoiler Show

But that's just another crazy theory for another day. Don'tcha know? :36: Anyhow. Thanks for reading you guys. You all make me blush from embarrassment! And again, sorreh for the size!

shamisen

Awards
One thing's for sure, in terms of similarities between Axel and Xigbar, we know of one. And that would be their tendency to have ulterior motives.

Axel's intentions in CoM were vague and worthy of speculation. In Days and especially BbS, Braig/Xigbar certain fills the same role as a character with questionable intent. Nomura has said as much.

Something tells me...

Mainly BBS

I disagree, actually.

Roxas is maturing at an impressive rate. His face, the way he handles the Keyblade, it's all exactly the same. The worlds seem so divided and alone, but there's always that steady thread there to connect them. And we Nobodies can never escape the things we did as humans. So it goes.

While I would agree with you from looking at Braig alone, I think something changed in him in the course of time between BbS and Days. A change in heart, no pun intended.
That one entry alone strongly hints at regret. Caring for Roxas' future is him acting on that guilt.
Xigbar's exact motives remain a mystery, but I doubt they're the same as they were at the time that TAV were around.

I agree with this theory to a degree. There are a couple areas where I disagree, though. First, I think Xigbar shows a vested interest in Roxas of his own volition (I don't think Saix assigning him to be a tutor for Roxas would have any effect on his views of Roxas). And second, I think his concern is more in what he sees in Roxas (Ven) and not Roxas himself. Roxas is not Ven.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

You'll notice that Xigbar, as silly and nonchalant as he tries to act, lapses into a more serious side on various occasions (such as when he's upset by seeing Ven in Xion, or talking about caring about Roxas' future). You have to remember that the emotional (silly/nonchalant) side of Xigbar, as accurate a reflection of Braig it may be, is still a ruse. He only remembers that he acted that way in BbS. But that does not mean he would not act that way now, were he to have a heart. So, the serious side that we see now and again is what I believe to be the real Xigbar, deeper than his superficial acting.

There's no questioning that, at the very least, there's more to his character than we know and that Nomura will inevitably expound upon it.

Avens

I noticed the same thing, and I definitely see a shift in character between Braig and Xigbar. I've wondered even if it was an after affect of losing his heart, and thus not being blinded by his desires, but meh, I digress.

Anyways, I think you missed one. Day 322, Xemnas meets with Xigbar and Saix, and says this:
Xemnas: Yes, it was not supposed to gain a mind of its own--nor become the
person we see. But in the end, it only proves the puppet is the more worthy
vessel. ... Both of them have connections to Sora, but we only need one of them
under our thumb. Let Xion take from Roxas the rest of what he has to give...
Or, let him destroy her first and get it all back. It makes no difference to
me. Either way, Sora's power will be ours.
(This is the bit where he asks Saix if he's set up the devices.)
And the first chance he gets the same day, Xigbar tells Roxas:
Xigbar: Ain't Xion just a peach now? The face of an angel. Just gotta be
careful--girls her age have many faces.
So even here, Xigbar is warning Roxas even though Xemnas is favoring Xion, even though it makes no difference for their goals.

(This, from the novels, is about Xigbar's apparent change of character rather than about Roxas, but still interesting)
BBS spoilers?
Even deeper in than the Round Room was Xemnas’ lab.
There were rooms that seemed like laboratories all over the castle, but only a restricted few members were allowed to go to this one.
Xemnas and Xigbar were there.
“I don’t like it.”
“What are you talking about.”
Xigbar, sitting on a sofa at the side of the room, said "I'm talking about how all the guys who went to Castle Oblivion got annihilated by the Hero.”
Xemnas, who was writing something, stilled his hand.
“Making the Hero dispose of Marluxia was fixed from the start. D’you give the order?”
“That is correct… what did you want to know?”
“Even so, having everyone annihilated just doesn’t fly, as they say. You can’t say the test project is turning out to be a winner, and half of us founding members getting annihilated has to have been unplanned, right, Xehanort?”
“…What an old name,” Xemnas said, mouth twisted, laughing at it.
At the name from once, when he had been a human, when he had been that person’s pupil… and, when he had fought with them.
“So, the annihilation wasn’t planned… those guys just got tangled in the net, as they say, didn’t they?” Xigbar looked at Xemnas.
“In any case, at least we have two Keyblades with us. Over here, the project is going well. Though our numbers have been halved, our plan hasn’t changed,” said Xemnas, simply. His eyes dropped to the papers by his hand, and his pen returned to running across the page.
Xigbar shrugged, and disappeared from the room.

Last edited:

PowerOverNothing

Website
i thought xigbar hates xion/roxas due to him being u know who

I would assume you mean Ven, don't you? Heheh. No, I don't think that Xigbar hates either of them at all. On the Xion fact is because he was assigned to watch over her movements, I believe that was confirmed somewhere in an interview or in the Ultim--errr...whatever. So no, no hate there, even if she did turn into Ven before his eyes, you don't really see any hate from him. Only playfuliness as he is with Roxas.

And with all of the facts that I have stated above, Xigbar really treats Roxas fairly and acts like his mentor and his father figure. If you want some proof to get you to thinking, I would suggest you skim through my first post. Although I'm not forcing you too, since it's your choice. But still, no, I don't think Xigbar hates either of them.

s1cofeeman

Anyways, I think you missed one. Day 322, Xemnas meets with Xigbar and Saix, and says this:

(This is the bit where he asks Saix if he's set up the devices.)

And the first chance he gets the same day, Xigbar tells Roxas:

Xigbar: Ain't Xion just a peach now? The face of an angel. Just gotta be
careful--girls her age have many faces.

So even here, Xigbar is warning Roxas even though Xemnas is favoring Xion, even though it makes no difference for their goals.

Pfffffffft! Really! Oh, Ponnie. How in the heck did you manage to miss something so exciting and awesome like this during your last playthrough! How! Oh wow, thank you for that little tidbit there Avens! I'm surprised that I manged to miss something like that and didn't really place it together that Xigbar would go out of this way to try and warn Roxas about what is starting to happen.

And this converation takes place right after the whole Halloween Town "saving from Ice Blade" scene, right? So it does make you wonder why Xigbar would do all of this, even though Xion is being more favored with Xemnas and Saix, and Roxas is getting weaker. That TRUTHFULLY does make you think about their relationship and what sort of stuff manages to go through his mind as all of this happening, and why Xigbar would do this when it doesn't even matter.

Accck! With all of this, I might have to replay DAYS AGAIN.

s1butz

DARN YOU FOR BEING SO AWESOME XIGBAR. DARN YOU.

Anyhow, really. Awesome stuff you guys bring up. :D I'm glad you're liking this theory. Makes me very happy indeed!

3keybladewielder

C2's Warlock
I would assume you mean Ven, don't you? Heheh. No, I don't think that Xigbar hates either of them at all. On the Xion fact is because he was assigned to watch over her movements, I believe that was confirmed somewhere in an interview or in the Ultim--errr...whatever. So no, no hate there, even if she did turn into Ven before his eyes, you don't really see any hate from him. Only playfuliness as he is with Roxas.

And with all of the facts that I have stated above, Xigbar really treats Roxas fairly and acts like his mentor and his father figure. If you want some proof to get you to thinking, I would suggest you skim through my first post. Although I'm not forcing you too, since it's your choice. But still, no, I don't think Xigbar hates either of them.

s1cofeeman

Pfffffffft! Really! Oh, Ponnie. How in the heck did you manage to miss something so exciting and awesome like this during your last playthrough! How! Oh wow, thank you for that little tidbit there Avens! I'm surprised that I manged to miss something like that and didn't really place it together that Xigbar would go out of this way to try and warn Roxas about what is starting to happen.

And this converation takes place right after the whole Halloween Town "saving from Ice Blade" scene, right? So it does make you wonder why Xigbar would do all of this, even though Xion is being more favored with Xemnas and Saix, and Roxas is getting weaker. That TRUTHFULLY does make you think about their relationship and what sort of stuff manages to go through his mind as all of this happening, and why Xigbar would do this when it doesn't even matter.

s1butz

DARN YOU FOR BEING SO AWESOME XIGBAR. DARN YOU.

Anyhow, really. Awesome stuff you guys bring up. :D I'm glad you're liking this theory. Makes me very happy indeed!

ven is the reason he is a pirate.....

Avens

That TRUTHFULLY does make you think about their relationship and what sort of stuff manages to go through his mind as all of this happening, and why Xigbar would do this when it doesn't even matter.

s1butz
I know, right? I remember playing through and reading that for the first time, and I got this feeling like... wow, I can't believe how freaking cool Xiggy is! Did he really...?!

Oh, and so that you don't have to start a new game--> GameFAQs: Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (DS) Game Script by DJ Firewolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back