• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

"Where is the fair use?" Youtube policy abuse

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
^ Stanford University has its own answer.

Also

fair use
noun
(in US copyright law) the doctrine that brief excerpts of copyright material may, under certain circumstances, be quoted verbatim for purposes such as criticism, news reporting, teaching, and research, without the need for permission from or payment to the copyright holder.

Did those Twitter people happen to give examples of what Fair Use is?

Last edited:

Anagram

Banned
Wait, TeamFourStar was taken down?!

On a side note, this whole fiasco isn't a matter of free speech, but one of fair use. Although the Youtube copyright policy has been used as a censorship method from time to time, as we've seen (and for some, personally experienced), more often, the system will be used simply to claim ownership of someone's work in order to make money off of it. Fair use, not the First Amendment, is supposed to prevent this sort of shit from happening.
It was, back now but some videos still down.

Your making a semantic case. As the Nostalgic critic and the others in his video pointed out it is being abused not only for money gain but also because some people are being childish that their work is being criticized which means it's being used to infringe on both freedom of speech and money. Especially in cases of the guy that just had a channel of sitting in his car with others discussing a film.

Fair Use is being abused for both angles and likely far more just because it can be abused as the video went out of it's way to point out.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
[video=youtube;QNZPQssir4E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNZPQssir4E&ab_channel=IHateEverything[/video]

Does anyone even work at Youtube?

Anagram

Banned
Does anyone even work at Youtube?
Probably depends on how much the studios are paying them. =__=

Swoosh said:
[video=youtube;2eHbJ9U8YLY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eHbJ9U8YLY[/video]

Welp seems the movement has it's finally gotten one of the bigger channels on the bandwagon.

Last edited:

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
So I'd like to start by saying that I agree with the notion that Youtube's claims and strikes regulations need an overhaul and the way things are going at the moment leads to a lot of inconsequential false claims for the ones claiming videos, but here's some food for thought.

Youtube, for the past few years, has not been profitable. To the point where I've heard many say that if Google hadn't bought it, Youtube would have most likely had fallen. That's probably a large hyperbole since it seems to be mostly breaking even as of last year, but as a whole, Google believes Youtube is a necessity for the internet as it is the largest way to share videos. I mean, can you imagine a world without Youtube? There was an article that backed this statement up but I can't find it anywhere on the internet for the life of me and using various search engines keeps giving me random Youtube videos (lol). So we have a large company that has taken in a smaller company because it believes it to be required even though it isn't earning profits. If this is the case, then Youtube most likely doesn't have the funds needed to operate to its full potential and requires heavily on automated responses. This bites hard in many areas including responding to copyright claims and is thus easily abusable for one side and aggravating for the other side. For a large company like Google/Youtube, this is not okay. It's not okay for creators to spend hours or days on a video for it to be claimed as copyright, especially if they monetized those videos since the company can claim a video even if they drop the claim down the line. The biggest reason for this is the time the video is hit in its lifetime: If they're claimed shortly after the video goes up, this can be a huge determent to the uploader as they lose out on the money they would have earned during the first few days the video goes up which is also when the video gets the most views. The money the video earns during that time is also kept by the company that claims the video.

As a whole, Google/Youtube needs to step their game up in order to prevent this kind of thing to be considered an 'everyday event,' but there isn't too much they can do to boaster their profits. They've tried in the past to get through to people with useless gimmicks and even attempted to get their own paid services, which was met with negative criticism all around due to the harsh rule set, as well the fact that most of the 'services' are not very appealing to most users. It's really falling flat all around and hopefully this latest outcry will get Google's attention enough to do something about it, at least for the sake of the content creators.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Well, I remember how angry Youtubers were over what the Fine Brothers were. Does anyone remember the Fine Brothers' Controversy at the beginning of this month? It actually got me pretty upset that these two brothers tried to profit off of a certain genre of Youtube videos called React videos.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
Last edited:

Anagram

Banned
Teamfourstars channel is up but the last three vids of DBZAbridged are down. I'm seeing more WTFU vids lately as well. Think a movement has finally taken hold?

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Teamfourstars channel is up but the last three vids of DBZAbridged are down. I'm seeing more WTFU vids lately as well. Think a movement has finally taken hold?

Possibly, but I doubt it'll do any good. Youtube never seems to listen to it's own users.

I managed to finish an anime, but it really sucked, because the audio was mute. The audio was taken down due to copyright reasons, which is stupid. If you're going to have a video up then, why don't you include the audio? Why wasn't the entire video taken down? Maybe, this is something stupid to complain about since I did finish the entire anime. I would liked to have the audio on and not taken down due to this copyright junk.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com

Anagram

Banned
^ Sounds like the same kinda case as the guy in Nostalgia Critics video. Maybe if it keeps getting bigger they'll have to listen.

Anagram

Banned
The take downs honestly seem more frequent than they used to be as well.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
The take downs honestly seem more frequent than they used to be as well.

Oh yeah, there's no doubt about it. I was looking for old songs I'd listen to from anime and a lot of them were taken down. Heck, the anime opening I posted in a fanclub a few days ago was already taken down. Everyone's been doing english covers of it - which is the opposite of what I want, cause I want the regular content of it. Damn, this is getting bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back