• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What Makes an Adult, an Adult?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortissimo

As we grow through our childhood years and on to our teen years, we are given more and more responsibilities and challenges. As we get older, we learn was to deal with these challenges and become more independent (hopefully). Is this true Adulthood?

What do you think makes someone an adult? What other factors do you believe set the qualifications?

Lumen et ignem

Bronze Member
As far as being an adult I don't believe it techinically depends on age. Really age is just what keeps people from putting as much responsibility on others. I think it just depends on the mentality level of someone's mind. If they are able to handle several responsibilities at one time then they are, in a way, an adult. Just because someone is considered to be an adult because of their age doesn't mean they are mature enough to get anything done.

nelly <3

wayfarer~
Website
www.facebook.com
So I'm 18 and a half already. And I'm nowhere near acting like and adult, sure the law considering me one. But mentally speaking, I'm not a child either, nor a teen. But well on my way to womanhood.

Well, physically speaking, I'm believe I already hit my peak. But you know, I personally think what makes us an adult is certain experiences that we go through. For me, I've been through a lot of shit. Yet, I always managed to over come them. The way I act, well I still love to play around, yet I know when its time to stop and get serious. I'm pretty responsible, I'd say... I have a job, and I go to school. But I still live under my mother's roof.

I'm well on my way to adulthood, I believe. When I finish college, independent, and have a career of my own. I feel that that will complete my deeds of me becoming an adult.

It's just the way I think.

E

Eyesore

I've always wondered this as well.
And I've always asked what I believed to be the most reliable source..."Adults."
All I ever get is "paying bills."
Really? Is that all you "adults" complain about, all day? Bills?
I'm 17, so, I'll be where you're at in less than a year.
If I hit 21, and see that the only thing making you guys go crazy are bills, ya'll are some weak ass people.
/rant.

ZackFair

What makes someone an adult is how the can handle themselfs in real life. Being able to be on their own without the help of parents.

Im 16 and I don't even consider myself "almost" an adult. I know I have a long way ahead of me.

AzzurroRainrebor

Adulthood has many definitions depending on which context, i.e. sexual/emotional maturity, independence, etc.

I'm over 18, the (legal) adult age, but I've been emotionally mature since I was a little kid. I sorta had to grow up with no parents around. For this reason, I grew up a little faster than others and worked harder. Since I was a little kid, people have been always telling me I sound like an adult.

So, I guess being an adult is meeting all the criteria of maturity that have been universally accepted to define adulthood. One MIGHT think that what I said in the first few sentences of my rant would make me an adult. Contrarily, I'm sorta immature in other areas...lol.

A lot of people are adult sexually (i.e. what Ulti stated, lol) and legally, but still falter in the other criteria.

Scenario: A person goes on a shopping spree in spite of the fact he HAS to pay rent in a few days or he'll be evicted (financially immature). This would result in "asking Mom" (independently immature). Mom would then say "I don't have the money!" or whatever, then rant on about responsibility. He would then react to her statements with loud emotional outbursts about how Mom never helps him and how unfair life is (emotionally immature). Later that night, contemplating, he calls up a friend about his problem earlier. After talking for a bit, his friend suggests going out to a bar. He says yes, of course, spending his last few bucks drinking and God knows whatever else (lack of self-control). End rant... One may see a pattern or cycle going on here and what happens to the individual in my rant is anyone's guess.

So the point is: Legally and sexually you're an adult (that's a given), but you are lacking in the criteria to absolutely define yourself as mature enough be to be declared the IDEAL adult. This, however, is an old "system". The new "system" just states you have to be 18, curse, smoke something, have a kid or two, have sex, etc. Most kids are practically raised on this new system.

Fortissimo

I completely agree. When I was a kid, I always thought being an adult meant being old enough, having a job, their own play and a family of some sort. But now that I am older, I see kids more mature and responsible than their parents.

I believe that part of being an adult is knowing to grow up. Sure there will always be instances where the scared, irresponsible child in all of us will show, but it shouldn't be a regular thing.

Leonard

Married to Crimson &#9829;
I think the term "adult" is just something that comes from how the people around you see you (through law, stereotypes, etc). I don't think there's any "true adulthood" per se. :c

rhyth

I don't think that its age that determines an adult. I think that experiences that you learn and mature from makes a person an "adult". I personally don't know what the word "adult" means. I think everyone is knowledgable about certain things and are ignorant in other things. I think "adults" should be able to support themselves as well as support other people. They should be able to think for themselves and make benefitial decisions.

And just like what Azzurrorainrebor said, there's different types of maturity. I don't think there's a mental standard for being an adult.

Xiao

serious at least all of the time
Awards
In reality, adulthood and childhood are not black and white. I think of it as a spectrum. Adulthood is a huge gray area. There's no line you can cross that instantly makes you an adult. You may suddenly turn eighteen and be an adult in the eyes of the law, but as for really being an adult, or at least into the adult end of the spectrum, I think you have to demonstrate the types of independence and maturity that AzzurroRainrebor points out.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
old-photos-092.gif

I'm not sure I'll ever grow up to such expectations.

Shinra

Banned
Awards
the ability to take care of yourself on your own and others...that and possibly sex...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back