• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What is the Meaning of Life?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkness of White

Wow it's been a long time
Website
lighthearts.proboards104.com
I still say that we really have no reason but to reproduce. If we chose to better ourselves or our comunity or something, that isn't a purpose, that is a choice. Animals don't really do that, they just reproduce and make their species larger. And humans are just that, animals, the only exception to that rule is that we are the dominant species on the planet and we are smart enough and capable enough to make it look like we are different from other species on the planet.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I still say that we really have no reason but to reproduce. If we chose to better ourselves or our comunity or something, that isn't a purpose, that is a choice.

It was a choice to make it your purpose. :v

Awards
There's no point spending your entire life searching for a context that you're always going to be a part of regardless of whether or not you understand it.

Of course, in this thread I see two things being discussed -- the meaning of life and the purpose of life. Two entirely different concepts.

The purpose of life is, beyond any shadow of a doubt, reproduction.

The meaning of life is not.

Cissy

Bronze Member
There's no point spending your entire life searching for a context that you're always going to be a part of regardless of whether or not you understand it.
Unless one's self-chosen purpose is too seek that answer, of course.

Can't blame people for curiosity, or rather, the desire to know.

Awards
How would you explain the meaning then? I see them as the same thing to be truthful.

Also, what is the difference really if there is one?

I define the purpose of life as why it exists in the sense of the term meaning what it strives to achieve through it's existence; and the one thing that every single living thing on planet Earth shares in common is a will to survive. To survive is to reproduce, therefore the purpose of life is to reproduce.

I define the meaning of life as the implications of life's existence; Why and what are we? What is the purpose of being? What does the system of life represent? All of these questions are impossible to answer.

In short: Purpose is what we are here to do, and meaning is why we are here at all and what we represent.

With that said I need to draw another distinction in this thread; people discussing the meaning of living and the meaning of being. These concepts, like purpose and meaning, are not the same thing at all.

Unless one's self-chosen purpose is too seek that answer, of course.

Can't blame people for curiosity, or rather, the desire to know.

We are discussing the purpose of life, not the purpose of individual human existence. Another distinction that ought to be drawn.

Darkness of White

Wow it's been a long time
Website
lighthearts.proboards104.com
I define the purpose of life as why it exists in the sense of the term meaning what it strives to achieve through it's existence; and the one thing that every single living thing on planet Earth shares in common is a will to survive. To survive is to reproduce, therefore the purpose of life is to reproduce.

I define the meaning of life as the implications of life's existence; Why and what are we? What is the purpose of being? What does the system of life represent? All of these questions are impossible to answer.

In short: Purpose is what we are here to do, and meaning is why we are here at all and what we represent.

With that said I need to draw another distinction in this thread; people discussing the meaning of living and the meaning of being. These concepts, like purpose and meaning, are not the same thing at all.

We are discussing the purpose of life, not the purpose of individual human existence. Another distinction that ought to be drawn.

That made more sense to me than anything else here, I'm quite impressed. Thanks for explaining that.

Cissy

Bronze Member
In that case I stand by my opinion that the universe is too big; other possibilities of life are still out-of-reach; that we still can't define the purpose of life when life itself has yet to be completely unlocked and deciphered.

I do, however, agree with the fact that the life we know of must reproduce, and that, inevitably, that is our purpose under those terms.

I'm getting a good read out of your posts, Sam.

Takuya

freedom fighter, patriot
Awards
In my bedroom sitting on my bed. I may pick up a b
I believe if we do all understand the meaning of life, there wouldn't be much point in living. Or life wouldn't be so "meaningful". There would be the possibility of making a decision to fulfill this meaning or not. It is, however, obvious that "reproduction" is the "meaning" of life. Life continues. Reproduction does that. Life=Continuance; Reproduction=Continuance. Life=Reproduction and vice versa. The meaning in terms of definition. But the question in terms of "directive" is still not answered. What is the meaning of life(reproduction/continuance)? We continue to live for what reason?

Awards
Take a 3D shape, like a cylinder, and put it in a world full of 2D people. One of these 2D people is looking at it from the front and he sees a circle, the other person looks at it from the side and sees a rectangle. Both of them will adamantly insist that they are right, but in reality they are both only seeing a fraction of the larger picture and neither is entirely correct. They aren't capable of understanding.

The meaning of life, if there even is one, is the same way; it's outside the realm of human comprehension, yet it is human nature to be satisfied with an incomplete answer and swear by it.

I do, however, agree with the fact that the life we know of must reproduce, and that, inevitably, that is our purpose under those terms.

Exactly. And you're right, we're a spec of nothing in the middle of the universe and it's a little vain to assume that all life functions in the same way that we do -- but even then, much like the people who live in the 2D world, I doubt we could wrap our heads around it if we tried.

Guernsey

Awards
I ask myself that question too but I cannot get a straight answer from anyone or from myself. However, I learned that nothing ever really has any "meaning" save for what you give it and that life simply is. When I ask this question, I also ask (and I am sure we all ask this): Who am I, Why I am here, Who is God and where will I go when I die? Religion is an attempt to explain the unexplainable but we can never seem to get a straight answer from the religions we create because it either they don't really know or they accepted what "God" told them in their respective religions. I am not completely against religion however I do not want to be completely entangled into religion to the point where I can all other religions "wrong" and label their their "God" the false one.

Reika Noko

Forever lurking
To live and to die. That way, humans repeat the cycle the more and more humanity lives on. But I don't see any particular value in life. I'm glad that I'm living it, I just don't see the goal of why we should live it in some direction due to the choices we make. Like that direction could make life satisfactory to you or not just because you're living it. But then again, with your life in your hands, you are calling the shots...

ChocobosComet

Blinky KITTY!
Website
usagi-cho.deviantart.com
The meaning of life is death.

We are born only to procreate and then die to make room for the next generation.

If I looked at it from a religious point of view, I'd give a more spiritual answer like, to serve the lord, or to spread god's word but, when it cuts down to us as a species we exist for the sole purpose of continuing existence. We are here so we can continue to be.

Then again, there is a difference between the meaning of life and your purpose. A meaning can be endless and debatable from different prospectives. Your purpose is defined by what you choose as an individual.

I doubt there is a specific reason for why we exist and it could be argued until the sky crashes down upon us and the earth turn to ash. It's been debated and speculated upon since the beginning of mankind and I'm sure it will continue until it's end.

Perhaps the meaning of life is to search for an answer to a question, which has no answer. That we exist only to continue the cycle of existence and even then we would exist for the sake of procreation and inevitably death.

Endgame

:D
Not to sound condescending, but you are all misguided and blinded by assumptions you don't realize you've made.

Life: The state of living. To be alive.
Meaning: The definition of something.

There. Those two definitions should be fairly self explanatory. I just gave you the 'meaning' of 'life'. If you require further elaboration, please consult your nearest dictionary. It'll be in the L section, in case you don't know how they work. So few of today's generation do.

You all make a misassumption that the phrase 'meaning of life' represents more then the sum of it's componants. If you seek some ultimate truth or purpose to your existance, well, for one, there's only one person who can give you that. And you'll see them in the mirror, not on a forum. If you seek to understand why life is, then perhaps you should ask yourself this: Why do we need a reason to exist? Perhaps we just are. Perhaps by one in billions of chances, the variables that created this planet all aligned to create an environment that could breed and support life.

It it not enough for you to accept that we are here, and that we are life, rather then trying to solve something that may not even be a problem, but merely a statement?

very differentiable
Awards
Why does something have to have a meaning, it's just a utilitarian viewpoint. Maybe we are just a quirk of nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back