• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What do you think of Sora's personality in Dream Drop Distance

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevie Goodwin

I heard that Sora was more mature in Dream Drop Distance and has a much deeper voice. I heard there is a lot of hate for the DDD Sora. I like the KH1 and KH2 Sora's still, but is he still goofy and fun in DDD? His outfit looks okay, but he looks younger. What do you think of Sora in DDD?

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Sora was boring and one dimensional in DDD. Without Goofy and Donald to bounce off of, they decided to turn him into an optimistic airhead with no distinct traits. He was basically Ventus from BBS

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
edgemaverick- you are one sad, strange little man.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I heard that Sora was more mature in Dream Drop Distance

What were they smoking when they said that and can I have some.

but is he still goofy and fun in DDD?

It's precisely the fact that he's goofy and (un)fun that DDD Sora is worst Sora. In order to fit the new canon of him being able to sense the heart of everything like he's Gol D. Roger, they made him a goody-two-gigantic-shoes who trusts everyone to absurd lenghts.

He believed Neku's name was Dream Eaters just because he screamed it, ignoring the creatures that spawned all around them.
He forgave Neku for his betrayal (also, had quite the though time noticing said betrayal happening) on the basis that the two of them were friends, despite the fact that they were not. KH1 Sora became truly friend with others after sharing the whole adventure with them. Neku is a friend for not better specified reasons.
Then the tea scene. Screw that scene and everything it represents.

What do I think of DDD Sora? That there's a difference between naive and dumb as bricks, and in my opinion that line was crossed a handful of times, making the character almost insufferable for me.

His outfit looks okay, but he looks younger.

He looks younger because he is younger. That's KH1 Sora's model.

ImVentus

Awards
My main problem with him in DDD is that he's way to trusting, He easily got manipulated and used without noticing it. Otherwise he's not bugging me that much.

Veevee

Awards
The whole personanility change was especially strange after KH2 where Sora was definitely more sassy and snappy. Remember when Pete asked him about Maleficent and he grinned "she's toast!". Plus, in KH2 he was more cautious about everything, yes, he believed what the organisation told him but this was mainly because they were the only ones to provide him with info - Riku was nowhere to be found, Yen Sid as useless as ever and Mickey went total asshole mode with "I won't tell you Riku's fine, lalala".
I don't expect him to be as witty as to see through Xehanort's traps in DDD but he should've at least been more cautious as soon as he noticed something was kinda fishy. Well, at least we now had every kind of Sora:

- mixed Sora (KH1): Anger, frustration, happyness, worry
- ReCom Sora: Anger ... pretty much
- KH2 Sora: mostly anxiety and anger
- DDD Sora: happy, naive and hardly bearable

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Dream Drop Distance Sora was a complete departure from all of the development Sora had in previous games. He was too happy, too trusting, too cocky, and had no sense of self-reflection. It was like an experiment about taking all of the interesting parts of Sora away and seeing what would happen.

Sora in KH1 was more cautious and inquisitive, and you can tell that through his travels he learned the value of friendship and self-sacrifice.

In CoM, Sora is stripped down as he slowly loses his memories as they are manipulated and we get to see that Sora is angry and frustrated and losing sight of himself. He overcomes this and it makes Sora a stronger character for it.

In KH2, he puts on a front of being happy go lucky but that is constantly belied by the constant concern of Riku’s whereabouts, and then later Kairi’s safety. While I dislike how Sora is depicted in KH2 at times as he often comes off more airheaded than in KH1 or CoM, it’s easy to believe that Sora was still not 100% back to normal after waking up and also constantly in distress. We see it in the quiet moments Sora experiences throughout the game that he isn’t okay with anything going on around him but there is little more for him to do but keep pushing ahead and stay optimistic.

Because of all of that, I feel that KH2 Sora is much more nuanced than KH3D Sora.

In KH3D, Sora isn’t taking things seriously. He thinks he’s just taking a test and he was only taking it for Riku’s sake. It is in his blind ignorance that he slowly gets lured into a trap. You’d think all of this would fit into Sora’s character at this point in time.

Sora’s saved the universe twice, he has his friends back, and for the most part the looming danger doesn’t seem so close until it hits him in the face. Sora should be somewhat cocky and confident, but it comes off as stupidity in KH3D which is where they diddlyed up majorly in writing Sora.

The only part of KH3D where Sora felt like Sora was in TWTNW and the ending because he’s finally taking the threat around him seriously, and the ending gives way to a more introspective Sora.

I also agree with Launchpad in that Sora needed somebody to bounce off of. For example, Re:coded’s Data Sora works well despite having a similar character to KH3D Sora because he has Journal!Riku, Donald, Goofy, and Mickey to constantly play off of. Say what you will about Re:coded as a game but I think Data Sora was a better representation of what Sora should have been in KH3D, but with the added experience of KH2 under him.

Last edited:

Stevie Goodwin

Wow there is a lot of hate for the DDD Sora. So thats why they like Riku in this game better. IMO, I'll take the KH1Sora for personality, KH2 FOR happy ending. What's your opinion? Since it's Disney, Kingdom Hearts is happy and sad. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i think the most important point of this thread is arielle and lp agreeing. SPOCKPAD LIVES

D

Deleted member 246005

There are people on youtube who dislike the game's story as whole and not just Sora's bits.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I don't think 3D Sora is any different than KH2 Sora. Having Data Sora in Coded as a KH1 throwback sandwiched between those two games shows how much KH2 altered this series for the worst in nearly every way.

The naive complaints don't make sense for Sora in this game. This has always been his character flaw; he was played like a fiddle in CoM, KH2, and 3D. Nothing new there. 3D was the first time he actually suffered consequences for it.

Scsigs

Sora gets progressively more & more flanderized in each sequel, with less reasoning as to why. In KH1, he was a kid who's friends were torn away from him for various reasons, he had to team up with Donald & Goofy in order to try to make sense out of all of the madness because his world was swallowed into the darkness, but he tries to remain positive in the face of all of that. It's really a miracle he didn't end up turning Emo or something over the course of the first game.
Chain of Memories has him progressively become a jerk for little reason to Donald & Goofy. His critical thinking & reasoning skills are thrown out the door. Memories affect your emotions towards certain things at first glance, not turn you into such a dumbass jerk.
KH2, he's back to how he was in 1, thankfully, only a bit more happy-go-lucky than he was originally, but at least it's not much & he's mostly consistent in personality to the first game.
Dream Drop Distance feels like it was written by a writer of a generic Shonen manga or anime because Riku is the only main character you play as that you actually care about. Sora's Idiot Hero status is turned WAY up in this game & he's so generic in typical Shonen hero fashion that you end up kind of hating him by the end. At least Chain of Memories had the excuse, though bad, that Sora had a LOT of conflicting emotions due to his continual screwing of his memories by Namine, DDD doesn't even get that. It's as if the writers thought that because it was on a handheld played by children under 14, rather than a console, that they could just throw Sora's previous characterization in the wood chipper, which doesn't make any sense because the game bridges the story between 2 & 3 by setting up stuff to be continued there, so people older than that, especially with the 2.8 collection porting the game to the PS4, will feel something like this if they play the games for the plots. The game was supposed to show their mark of mastery stuff that would then get side-tracked by the Xehanort stuff, which you'd expect that Sora would be more consistent with his 2 personality, since that was the last game the real him appeared in before DDD, but no. I hope 3 keeps him consistent in his personality from 2 because you wouldn't believe how many times I said, "God damn it, Sora," during my playthrough of the game when he did or said something completely stupid.
Riku seems to be the only character the writers can consistent portray right, though even he suffered some discrepancies between Chain of Memories & 2, but not any I'd consider major. Sora and Riku seem to be something of a cross between the relationships & characters of Naruto & Sasuke from Naruto & Goku & Vegeta from Dragon Ball, only more friendly, since they share many personality traits with these characters. Sora in particular is similar to Goku in that he's been progressively flanderized as well in recent years. I just hope Namura got it together when they wrote Sora in 3, because his DDD portrayal was almost unbearable.

Note: I made this post before seeing an earlier post that says similar stuff.

Last edited:

Stevie Goodwin

I hope they fix Sora personality in KH3. I'll stick with both KH1 and KH2 Sora personatilties. Also what does flanderized mean? I missed Donald and Goofy in DDD.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Perhaps this TV Tropes page can explain it: Flanderization - TV Tropes
if you want the short version, basically it's exaggerating a character's certain qualities to the Nth degree without any need to, like for example Sora's naïveté and trust in others in KH3D. Or for an outside-of-KH example, think Homer Simpson and how he gets portrayed as more of an idiot over the seasons of The Simpsons.

Last edited:

Relix

A traveler
Awards
I feel all of the decent writing put into the game went to Riku and his interactions. I don't want to be redundant seeing how all of the best points about the poor characterization of Sora was already said but I will at least agree in saying DDD Sora is this boy at his most uncharacteristically annoying. Somehow he comes out the gate thinking he deserves to be master, doesn't really do anything afterwards to justify that claim and makes odd choices left and right. I don't want to sound anymore redundant but yeah, DDD Sora isn't Sora at his best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back