About"The year is 2098, by human standards. In 2081 an unmanned probe discovered the first signs of an alien civilisation, and after receiving guidance from a mysterious computer program that called itself 'Help' humanity found itself coming into contact with other sentient species from across the galaxy, as well as the development of new and remarkable technologies. It awaits to be seen how these events will ultimately affect the galaxy..."
"Good day, ambassadors. Here at the Hub, it is hoped that the Peoples of the Inhabited Galaxy will enjoy their stay. In the past, the numerous Peoples lived seperately from one another, each primitively assuming that they were alone. Now, however, they see the truth. We of the Help will assist the Peoples in coming to understand each other: the Hub will serve as a central, neutral location from which these communications can be of assitance."
Okay, so, in a nutshell: I have been inspired by epic sci-fi like Mass Effect and Star Wars as well as my own sci-fi project, the Stellarum. The result?
This thread will serve as a sign-up, discussion and worldbuilding thread where-in members will work together to create a living, thriving galaxy that teems with sapient and sentient races as well as their numerous factions, business, organizations, technology and history.
You are free to join and 'add stuff' such as star systems, technology, races and factions, but please follow these rules:
1) Only add big stuff like sentient races or major factions if you're going to be detailed and stick with it. Don't add major stuff unless you plan to work on it and go in-depth with it. In addition, this is a collaborative effort, so if you have any awesome ideas that could fit in with a species of faction that someone else has made, feel free to suggest it. If possible, players may want to play as a distinct faction of a species someone else created, assuming the original creator doesn't mind and it fits in.
2) Try to make things original, and whatever you do please don't create rubber forehead aliens. A rubber forehead alien is best illustrated as 'most of the species in Star Trek' AKA an alien race that is physiologically identical to humans except for, say, pointy ears or a bulgy forehead or green skin. That said, if the species is actually an off-shoot of humanity or are the subjects of genetic engineering... well, you get the idea.
3) Try to make whatever you create detailed and multi-faceted. By this, I mean that you should bear in mind that even in the future humanity is unlikely to be united: humans have different cultures, nations, religions, philosophies and 'styles', so why would an alien race be any different?
4) Aside from the above, follow the standard sort of rules: avoid gratuitous sex, bloody violence or swearing. Essentially, try to keep things PG-13.
5) Spell and grammer proper like, tsk.
6) Don't godmod or try to control other player's creations unless you have their express permission.
7) I, as well as a handful of skilled RPers who may or may not join (such as Jezza, Ordeith, OmniChaos or the Professor), will reserve the right to kick irritating folks who repeatedly break the rules out of the RP.
8) You must read these rules: if you have and understand them, put 'The [insert your species name here] have arrived at the Hub'.
Name(s): (Includes the common and/or scientific name, as well as possibly what they're called in their own language(s))
Nickname(s): (AKA slang terms or slurs commonly used by one of more of the other species in reference to this species)
Home system: (give us a name and a short description)
Homeworld: (give us a name and a short description)
Genders: (also include a short summary of the reproductive system)
Lifespan: (how long do they live for on average? What's the average age of physical and psychological maturity?)
Body plan: (number of limbs and layout there of etc.)
Appearance: (what do they look like, generally? Three paragraphs minimum)
Biology: (major organs and important organic/synthetic systems etc.)
Diet: (what do they eat, in general?)
Lifecycle: (in general and from a purely biological perspective, what is the life of 'Joe Average Member of the Species' like? Two paragraphs minimum)
Psychology: (how do they think? Three paragraphs minimum)
History: (two paragraphs at least, but try to go into reasonable detail)
Major Species - Players
Human - All Players (species template will be posted later)
The Help - NPC (Eventua)