• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Utada Hikaru says she will "probably not" do KHIII theme

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

peachie

In a recent interview Utada was asked:

Interviewer: Are you going to be involved in the soundtrack for Kingdom Hearts III?

Utada:
I don’t think so, I don’t know.
Probably not.

Mr. Utada (her father): We said no to
Disney.
Ohh…

Interviewer: You turned down Disney?

Mr. Utada: Yeah. Because they
don’t pay.
Source: U.Blog
Full interview (page 11): http://jetaany.org/magazine_files/utada.pdf

I hope the money thing was a joke. (Utada Hikaru is only one of the richest women in all of Japan, and has sold some 52 million albums worldwide.) KHIII is still far off, so hopefully she'll change her mind by then.

Last edited:
C

Crossroads

Well that sucks...

They should get the woman who did "Why?" for Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII to do it.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
That seems a bit strange to me. o__0; Considering that KH3 production probably hasn't really started yet... I dunno if they would decided on something like that so early! Now that I read another part of the interview, it sounds more realistic. .-. Ahhhhh.

I think they were joking about the Disney thing. D:

Lifes.Lover

For the deeds of today resonate....
Website
lifes-lover18.livejournal.com
Not necessarily. The songs she's done for KH are simply one aspect of the game. It'll be a loss if she doesn't return, but KH will still be the same even without her. After all, she only sings. It's not as though she wrote them, or that she has any involvement in the actual story.

Xango99

is this interview even real? it seems kind of sloppy and doesnt seem like something Utada would talk like....

peachie

is this interview even real? it seems kind of sloppy and doesnt seem like something Utada would talk like....

It strikes me as odd too, she was talking about how she didn't really care if people pirated her last album in an interview, ha. But maybe she has some beef with Disney? I don't know, I hope the interview is inaccurate.

The interview itself is a bit shakey, yes. But U.Blog is very reliable. There is always the chance that it's fake, or the interview isn't accurate, but it's doubtful.

That might just be a translation, depending on where she did the interview. If it was done in English, she might not be the best English speaker.

The original interview was in English, Utada is fluent in English. She's spent half her life in the states.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It does seem rather odd and sloppy. :[ She sounds sort of right, but at the same time, it just seems off somehow. Ergh. D|

It won't go up on the main site for the moment. U.Blog is VERY reliable, buuuuut exception this time. I'll wait to see what happens with this interview.

Lifes.Lover

For the deeds of today resonate....
Website
lifes-lover18.livejournal.com
I wouldn't have known about that. Thank you for correcting me.

It seems a bit more light-hearted and informal than I would think an interview would be like.

However, it doesn't necessarily discount that she isn't doing it. For all we know, she just might not be interested, or might be upset about having to jump through hoops with Disney to get the last two KH songs on her CD.

It might have been that the money thing was a joke. Who knows. Whether she comes back or not, KH will still be the same.

A

Audo

HeartStation is also reporting about this.

I don't see why you guys should deem it odd or off just because she said she wouldn't.
When she goes on to explain how she hated having to make Japanese and English versions for the KH songs, it makes a lot of sense.

A

Audo

–Are you going to be involved in the soundtrack for Kingdom Hearts III?

Utada: I don’t think so, I don’t know. Probably not.
Mr. Utada: We said no to Disney.
Utada: Ohh…

–You turned down Disney?

Mr. Utada: Yeah. Because they don’t pay.

–Because they don’t pay, yeah. My parents work for Disney World, so I’m sure they’d be in agreement with you on that.

Utada: They can have a drink over that [all laugh].

–Okay, so going back a little bit, the fact that Exodus was released in English also in Japan, was that a conscious decision? Was there ever any pressure either on your label over there, or from other people to say, “Well, if you do Japanese versions of
these songs, they’ll be so much more accessible, many more people will get to that?”

Utada: Uh-huh. Well, from the beginning, yeah…before doing that contract, I’d done a few songs where I had to translate, like for Kingdom Hearts, I had to make an English version of the song “Hikari,” which became “Simple and Clean,” and then also for Kingdom Hearts II, I had to make the Japanese version which was the song “Passion” and then the English version that was “Sanctuary,” and that was so hard, it’s just—and it felt strained—and as a result, I’m happy that I worked hard to do those, because those English versions are really good and “Simple and Clean,” I think, is a really good song, and people…most of the people that know me here, they know me for that—but it’s not ideal for me as a writer, to…because, actually, I changed the melodies for “Simple and Clean” and “Hikari,” because when you change the language you’re singing in, the same melodies don’t work—and as a writer, it’s just very frustrating to have, like…I wrote these melodies for Japanese words, and to have to write in English for that, it’s just not right. And then, so, for this, uh, this contract with Island Def Jam, in the beginning I separated it to this English language album, and I don’t do Japanese translations. I just, my integrity as an artist just would not take that, could not take that.

It comes straight from a magazine article: http://jetaany.org/magazine_files/utada.pdf

KB

Stay gold. Bang.
Well, I think I would be satisfied with a Japanese song for both an NA and a Japanese game.

Rikuswish

I remember reading somewhere that she doesn't like RPGs. So she doesn't really like Kingdom Hearts either. I think she just wants more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back