• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Through The Keyhole: The All New Critique Request Thread!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Mario64

Good Morrow, fellow writers! Sabrina will be away for a while, so for the time being I will take the helm of issuing critiques. You can post poetry, fan fiction, or whatever you want right here. It doesn't even have to be KH related. Any and all writers are welcome regardless of skill level. Whether you're a master of the pen or getting some first experience in with good ole' #2 show us where you're at and one of our friendly neighborhood critics will be happy to help.

But, there are rules:

1. We can do poetry and fanfiction.
It'd just be dumb to make another thread.

2. We don't want drama with you, nor your fans, over the fact that we're saying bad things about your writing.
It's happened way too much before and it shouldn't be acceptable anywhere. It's just immature and every other word like it. And if you insult someone for trying to help the writer, regardless of their tone, it's even worse for the writer than the person's tone and attitude, I think. These are done to help you improve.

3. We don't hold your hand through every mistake you make.
Oh, we'll point it out, but sometimes I personally like to leave it with a "I think you can figure out another way to write this." so you, yourself improve and think a bit harder, and actually notice why we say what we do.

4. Some posts will be very long.
Unless we use a spoiler tag for parts, it will be a huge post and there will be scrollin'.
Well, depending on how much you need to work on. Overall posts usually are short and nice but thorough line quoters can get really damn long. Please understand this.

5. Any questions will be answered here.
Specifics like chapters, exceptions, joining, general questions, anything you think is relevant, please talk about it in here. Not the threads of the stories we critique and not general discussion.

6. Be patient.
These critiques take a while and a lot of us have other things to work on as well. Please understand.

7. If your story has multiple chapters, we start at number 1.
For various reasons like, "I don't want to critique a story I'm not familiar with yet" or, "That'd bug the living poo out of me to not start at number one so no." It just doesn't make any sense to do that. Plus, we aren't only "proofreading". We find the mistakes and most of the time give you a reason why it's like that, story wise we point out things that just bother us and personal feelings about it rather than just fixing all your errors for you and giving it back for you to cut and paste into the thread.
We aren't the beta-readers.

8. If you'd like to help me out and do critiques as well in your own style, feel free to apply.
Being busy with other things, it may take me forever to finish everything and I'm only one person. Not a god. One person may like something while another might not. So a team would be pretty helpful.

9. Please proofread your work before submitting. Not to be a prick, but no critic likes having to go on "grammar patrol" while reviewing a piece. This is a team effort, so if you do your part we'll do ours.

10. If you will not be posting for a while please notify both me and your critic in some way. This way, none of us have to lose sleep if you haven't been posting for a few weeks. In the meantime, I'll mark your submission on the list as [SUSPENDED] so no one tries to post when you're not ready for them.

If you want us to review your work you can send us a request in the following format:

Author: (not your real name, please. Don't wanna get busted for sharing personal info.)
Title:
Link:
Preferred critic [optional]: (Please state and send them a VM on their page.)
Other comments: (Is it a poem, fanfic, a normal short story? Various other requests?)
(Want us to wear a party hat while doing it? Sure.)
(Other details go here, blah blah blah.)

Considering this is a new thread I will need to assemble a new team of critics. If you were previously accepted by Sabrina I won't make you reapply. Simply state your interest via private message and I'll hook you up. If you have not been accepted you are welcome to apply and show me what you can do. For details, see here

Last but not least, here is a list of our current projects; both taken and non-taken:
(Listed by order of request)
Silent Avera's "K.h.a"
(Dr_Mario64)
SilentTrinity's "Impure"
(Ragnell 37)
choboco_king's "What does the Devil do?"
[UP FOR GRABS]
Sabrina's "unheard whispers"
[UP FOR GRABS]
Izayoi's "Remorse"
(Zeagal)
darkisaac's "Too Young To Die"
(Solar)
NumberVIII's "Broken"
[UP FOR GRABS]
Lonbilly's "I Am Susan Sarandon"
[UP FOR GRABS]
kingdomkey96's "Betrayal"
(Ventus Air-Man)
Dawninmyheart's "Kingdom Hearts: Heart of Fire"
(Dr_Mario64)
king_mickey rule's "Courage"
[UP FOR GRABS]
king_mickey rule's "The Secret Truth"
[UP FOR GRABS]
Oe98's "Perspective"
[UP FOR GRABS]
King Sora X's "Conquest Power Struggle"
(Dawninmyheart)
King Sora X's "Rain Rain Go Away"
(Nevermore(?))
Solar's "Shades of Blue"
(Dawninmyheart)
Nevermore's "To--"
[UP FOR GRABS]

The Team:

Dr_Mario64
Prefers prose over poetry. Writes in-depth reviews in a "play-by-play" style.

Dawninmyheart
Prefers fanfiction to not have a yaoi pairing of any kind, likes original stories as well but not much else. Very thorough.

Zeagal
(Preference unknown.)

moonstar_xo
(Preference unknown.)

Nevermore
No preference. Very thorough.

Ragnell 37
Prefers not to do poetry but will take everything else.

Ventus Air-Man
Prefers fan fiction/original stories above all else. Size and content does not matter.

Roa
(Pending member.)

Future
(Pending member.)

LongLiveLife
(Prefers poetry)

Without further ado, let's get this thread alive and kicking! Who's with me?

Last edited:

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
As an FYI, I'm not doing Remorse, only Zeagal is.

Do I need to PM you to start, or is this good enough notification? I'll grab a critique as soon as school lets up on homework, probably some time in the beginning or middle of next week. If people want to request me, or whatever, that's fine, I just won't be able to start until at least Monday next week. My tennis coach and my AP Calc+AP Physics teacher are trying to kill me currently.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Considering I already got an interview done and another lined up and 3 job applications done today, I'm back for a bit.

Whoever's on the team in the previous thread is still on the team.

Also, if you would be so kind to remove me from the projects I was supposed to finish... I really don't have time to give in depth critiques on them right now and I'm really really really sorry.

Mistearea

Fear the Mist
Shifting through the spaces like only Mist can.
Author: Darkfyre
Title: Untitled(I suck at these)
Link: This
Preferred critic [optional]: Ven, Nevermore or Sabrina. I don't really care which one it is.
Other comments: It's an original and likely to become very long so I request that you pop in whenever you can.

I hope that I did this correctly. Never requested a critique before.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
I'd like to be on the team, and I'll use my comments on Oe98's To-- as a supplement to my application as it is on the list of critique requests. Seeing as most other critics prefer prose over poetry, I'll be the first to break that pattern, and say I prefer poems over fanfics.

Dr_Mario64

Preferred critic [optional]: Ven, Nevermore or Sabrina. I don't really care which one it is.
Other comments: It's an original and likely to become very long so I request that you pop in whenever you can.

Don't worry. You requested correctly. Just be sure to pick Ven or Nevermore and send them a PM indicating you have made a request. Sabrina, sadly, is not available at the moment. Sorry if that makes your life difficult.

Dr_Mario64

I'd like to be on the team, and I'll use my comments on Oe98's To-- as a supplement to my application as it is on the list of critique requests. Seeing as most other critics prefer prose over poetry, I'll be the first to break that pattern, and say I prefer poems over fanfics.

Welcome to the team. Just tell me your critiquing preferences and I'll add you to the list. If you wish to see my full-length examination you can view it here.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

Just letting everyone know that I am working on this :)

Epif

The Delicious
Website
epiphany-delirium.tumblr.com
Hmm... I've been thinking for a while, and I wish to say that I'd like to join the team. I'll do a critique on one of the "up for grabs" pieces in the list, and PM you, Dr. Mario, that it's done. I think I might do one of king_mickey rule's pieces.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
I'll take SilentTrinity's "Impure." However, it might take me a while to finish it, since I get about 15 minutes of free time every day, at best. I'll try my hardest to get it done relatively soon, though.

Dr_Mario64

Hmm... I've been thinking for a while, and I wish to say that I'd like to join the team. I'll do a critique on one of the "up for grabs" pieces in the list, and PM you, Dr. Mario, that it's done. I think I might do one of king_mickey rule's pieces.

Good to have some biters. I look forward to it.

Dr_Mario64

I hereby request that my request be removed from the list. It is a failed project and I kinda lost interest in it anyways. I think that I prefer fantasy style over anything else.

Are you sure about this? I've already assigned a critic. It might be worth your time to hear a second opinion...Well, since you insist. Keep trying! Gotta kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back