• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

"Thou Shalt Not Facebook"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
mypage.na.square-enix.com
It's like puberty all over again, "Gahh she doen't like me therefore love doesn't exist and I probably will never find it."

/angst

A lot of us have presumably been there, right? That's a light-hearted way of saying personal experiences =/= everyone.

There's always hope, you know?

There's a difference between "BAWWW THEY DON'T LIKE ME" and seeing your mother being abused.

Can we get back on the topic at hand, please? Yes, I have a negative view of marriage. No, I don't intend to get married. No, I'm not going to sugar coat everything and pretend that people don't cheat on each other or stab each other in the back. This isn't about my views of marriage, this is about a pastor trying to make his congregation stop using Facebook because apparently he thinks some people have no self-control.

tangerine

Awards
And as for my "naive thinking," I don't know, maybe the fact that several family members, both male and female, were caught in abusive marriages has something to do with it. Or the high divorce rate. I have no desire to get married, and I have a negative view of marriage, because I saw the hell my family was put through as a result of those abusive marriages when I was growing up. So if that makes me naive, oh well, I'm naive. I hope I never get married, because I would sooner throw myself off a cliff than go through the same hell my mom, great grandmother, aunt, and uncles went through.

Not every couple is completely devoted to each other. Spouses cheat, lie, and gossip about their husbands/wives all the time. They frame their spouses, they sue them, they abuse them. I never once said that every single married couple does that, but you can't ignore the fact that there are couples out there who cheat on their spouses and stab them in the back.

That's basically just everything that I wrote in a directly opposite fashion that proves nothing for you. I wrote: " Some couples are completely devoted to each other" and you just wrote that some couples are not. You basically addressed absolutely nothing, instead opting for the heartfelt personal experience argument, which--while it explains your stance--doesn't prove your viewpoint. Just because people that you know had poor experiences does not mean that it will be the same for everyone nor would it necessarily be the same for you if you were engaged in a serious relationship. (This is especially true because you'd know what to look for and what to not look for.) It's pretty much like Solar wrote. You experienced A and you are B (a person). Therefore, A is true for everyone, because they are all Bs. Your response just proves all the more why your thinking is naive.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
There's a difference between "BAWWW THEY DON'T LIKE ME" and seeing your mother being abused.

Can we get back on the topic at hand, please? Yes, I have a negative view of marriage. No, I don't intend to get married. No, I'm not going to sugar coat everything and pretend that people don't cheat on each other or stab each other in the back. This isn't about my views of marriage, this is about a pastor trying to make his congregation stop using Facebook because apparently he thinks some people have no self-control.

Allow me to continue anyway then. Well you brought up an over-generalised and incorrect view, so to reiterate, personal experiences =/= everyone.

I don't care what you feel about marriage, even if I find it slightly saddening, but you absolutely cannot speak for everyone and their marriage

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
Did I once say that every single couple experiences what my relatives went through? No. I said that people cheat all the time. I didn't say anywhere every single married couple does that.

Allow me to continue anyway then. Well you brought up an over-generalised and incorrect view, so to reiterate, personal experiences =/= everyone.

I don't care what you feel about marriage, even if I find it slightly saddening, but you absolutely cannot speak for everyone and their marriage

I'm not speaking for everyone and their marriages. I know not everyone has the same experiences with marriage that my relatives did. I know there are people out there who have good marriages - more power to them for keeping it together.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
You said "spouses". As in married people doing something all the time. That sounded like everyone, don't deny a mistake

If you wrote "Some spouses..." or "Many spouses..." then your statement would've been clearer. Otherwise, the average reader will lean towards which direction. Of course it happens all the time, but you worded your statment in a manner that it's diffcult to wrestle out your meaning, especially in conjuction to the latter portion of said statment.

But whatever, I'm done.

tangerine

Awards
Did I once say that every single couple experiences what my relatives went through? No. I said that people cheat all the time. I didn't say anywhere every single married couple does that.

I'm not speaking for everyone and their marriages. I know not everyone has the same experiences with marriage that my relatives did. I know there are people out there who have good marriages - more power to them for keeping it together.
|
V​
Spouses do shit like gossip about each other and cheat on each other all the time. Vows don't mean anything anymore; they're like terms of service agreements. You just say 'I do' without reading the fine print so you can get to the fun stuff.

That's "speaking for everyone". If you actually do believe what you wrote last, though, then I fail to see why you won't give yourself a chance. You won't have a very happy and fulfilling life if you prevent yourself from happiness because of other people's shortcomings. I'm not trying to change your mind right now, by the way (because you obviously have your own reasons that lead you to this decision at this point in your life), but it isn't something that you should set in stone.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
Fine. I admit it. I worded it wrong, it was a misunderstanding.

You won't have a very happy and fulfilling life if you prevent yourself from happiness because of other people's shortcomings. I'm not trying to change your mind right now, by the way (because you obviously have your own reasons that lead you to this decisions at this point in your life), but it isn't something that you should set in stone.
Never said that I wasn't going to get into a relationship; if the right guy comes along, I'd consider it. I said I have no desire to get married. I explained my reasons why I don't want to, and I ask that you respect my decision.

Last edited:

tangerine

Awards
Fine. I admit it. I worded it wrong, it was a misunderstanding.

Never said that I wasn't going to get into a relationship; if the right guy comes along, I'd consider it. I said I have no desire to get married. I explained my reasons why I don't want to, and I ask that you respect my decision.
I know. The point that I made with that post was obviously lost. If you do find the right person, then I'm sure you'll understand it when that time comes. As I wrote: I'm not trying to change your mind right now.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
I know. The point that I made with that post was obviously lost. If you do find the right person, then I'm sure you'll understand it when that time comes. As I wrote: I'm not trying to change your mind right now.

No, the point you made wasn't lost. I know you're not trying to change my mind, and I do appreciate that, believe it or not.

tangerine

Awards
No, the point you made wasn't lost. I know you're not trying to change my mind, and I do appreciate that, believe it or not.

So, the point was? I'll tell you if you're right or not. I didn't literally write it and it didn't just have to do with getting into a relationship.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
This sure does make one wonder...

Question Of The Day:

Why does God have, or not have, a Facebook?

Discuss.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
So, the point was? I'll tell you if you're right or not. I didn't literally write it and it didn't just have to do with getting into a relationship.
Point was not to let people's shortcomings get in the way of my happiness, and/or that I'm incredibly naive to have such a negative view of marriage.

And now my point: I don't care whether I'm right or wrong. I answered your question, now let it go. If you have anything else to say on this subject, I would prefer that you PM me so we can get this thread back on topic.

Question Of The Day:

Why does God have, or not have, a Facebook?

Discuss.

Or, why would God even *need* a Facebook?

Last edited:

tangerine

Awards
Point was not to let people's shortcomings get in the way of my happiness.

And now my point: I don't care if you tell me whether I'm right or wrong. I answered your question, now let it go.

I wrote that bit in my post and I also wrote in my last post that I didn't write the actual point, so no; you don't understand. You will if you find the right person, though, like I stated earlier. I don't really care that you "don't care" (which you do, otherwise you wouldn't have answered), because I was sure that you didn't know and if I let you think that you did then you wouldn't be able to even try to understand something that you one day should. That's not a point of yours, it's just an arrogant remark. I'm done, but not because you're telling me to stop. I'm done because I got what I wanted to write across and writing any more to an arrogant little girl will only fall on blind eyes.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
I'm done because I got what I wanted to write across and writing any more to an arrogant little girl will only fall on blind eyes.
I can assure you that I'm not a little girl. I admit it, I can be arrogant, I'm not going to deny that, but you're no better than I am, and you don't know everything there is to know, so stop with this know-it-all, self-important attitude. I'm done with this. I'm done arguing with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back