• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread [complete]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

David Boreanaz or Doug Erholtz?

• David Boreanaz (KH1)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Doug Erholtz (Everything Else)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pix

Website
www.twitter.com
Re: The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread

ehh after some consideratoin. i decided to give willa holaland another chance. The only line i really liked was "look out!" but the other intimate moments were really bad. So it's possible she can sound good only when it's very engaging and when there's no need for emotion. But the seens where she sounds compasionate or timid are the ones i expect to be bad

I didn't like her at first either, especially after hearing the beginning line to the official English trailer. However, after I heard a few more lines, I found that she fits. There are probably a lot of lines where she doesn't sound her best. I thought she sounded good when she said, "He's not as weak as you think", followed by her lines conversing with Jaq.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

I thought she sounded good when she said, "He's not as weak as you think"

That was her only good line, IMO.

Everything else sounded bad. Maybe she'll grow on me or surprise us by being mostly decent when the game actually comes out, but if the voice clips in the trailer are any indication, she sucks.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

I don't think Willa is anywhere near as bad as people make her out to be, which is their opinion- of course, but I don't even think the opening monologue is bad, with the exception of the end which is awkward but I blame the line. Even in Japanese the line is weird for Aqua to say, and even Terra comments on how it doesn't suit Aqua's personality, being too feminine (in a joking way of course.)

sonickenshin

Awards

She still could have sounded a little more sincere at the end. But, I digress. She probably had to do the trailer lines first and it won't sound the same in the scene.

Last edited:

Pix

Website
www.twitter.com

From the moment I watched the first release of the English version of BBS, that being gameplay, I didn't like Aqua's voice actor, believing she had been robbed of her youth. I liked Aqua's Japanese actor, although I didn't understand a word she said. I hope Willa Holland shows improvement throughout the game.

Also, I know I might come off blunt, but I didn't even recognize Haley Joel Osment as Vanitas. I think he did a good job from what I've heard! (Even though I did think of his lines as somewhat corny, lawl.)

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

From the moment I watched the first release of the English version of BBS, that being gameplay, I didn't like Aqua's voice actor, believing she had been robbed of her youth. I liked Aqua's Japanese actor, although I didn't understand a word she said. I hope Willa Holland shows improvement throughout the game.

Also, I know I might come off blunt, but I didn't even recognize Haley Joel Osment as Vanitas. I think he did a good job from what I've heard! (Even though I did think of his lines as somewhat corny, lawl.)

Robbed of her youth? Aqua's an adult, you are aware of that, right? Whatever, it's your opinion.

Am I the only one who thinks HJO sounds EXACTLY like he does as Sora as he does Vanitas?

Pix

Website
www.twitter.com

Robbed of her youth? Aqua's an adult, you are aware of that, right? Whatever, it's your opinion.

Of course. I meant a young woman, not a teenager like Kairi. She sounded older than I imagined.

simple&cleanxiii

Bronze Member

Really? I personally thought that Willa's voice was perfect for Aqua, it had the right tone and she didn't sound like she was thirteen like her Japanese voice.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

Really? I personally thought that Willa's voice was perfect for Aqua, it had the right tone and she didn't sound like she was thirteen like her Japanese voice.

Exactly.

I honestly don't know any young adult who sounds anything like the Japanese version of Aqua does.
But then again Japanese females are generally far too high pitched than I imagine them to be :/ (Kairi's Japanese voice annoys the living crap out of me)

Ikkin

Bronze Member

Exactly.

I honestly don't know any young adult who sounds anything like the Japanese version of Aqua does.
But then again Japanese females are generally far too high pitched than I imagine them to be :/ (Kairi's Japanese voice annoys the living crap out of me)

Japanese women seem to have much higher-pitched voices than American ones, as far as I can tell. I saw an interview with Aqua's JP VA on Youtube (for her role as Paine in FFX-2), and she seemed to be even higher-pitched than Aqua, if anything.

They might be pitching up for VA roles, though. I'm pretty sure it's standard convention for US VAs for higher-pitch to denote innocence and/or moral character, and there's no reason the JP VAs couldn't be doing the same thing (especially since it's anime dubs that tend to get the worst of this in the US). I can't really applaud Disney enough for the fact that they apparently said "to heck with this" and ignored that particular convention altogether, even if it doesn't necessarily feel quite as natural.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

I don't think Aqua's JP VA sounds 13, but whatever.

sonickenshin

Awards

Exactly.

Really? Cause I've know that do. Honestly, I don't think Aqua sounds like a teenager either. She sounds like a young adult if anything.

Think HJO will play KH1 Sora in Re:Coded? ...actually, never mind. Of course he will.

Last edited:

Allister Rose

French Lover

Yeah, but i came to the conclusion that whenever there are scenes that don't need much emotion, those will be the scenes that sound good. but the ones that need it, will sound as bad as the scenes in the trailer.

both VA's english and japanese, sound like young adults. still i consider aqua a teenager.

Last edited:

αsiя

space coke

Aqua's JP VA did not sound like high pitch girl. She sounded like a young adult just like Willa, except Willa doesn't have emotion.

Allister Rose

French Lover

i honestly believe young adult is still in the teenager stage. like for aqua i believe she is just one year older than riku. and as for terra, i think he is one year older than aqua.

If you notice, terra actually act's slightly younger than aqua yet aqua seems to act pretty friendly towards terra and ven.

Sempied

Yeah, but i came to the conclusion that whenever there are scenes that don't need much emotion, those will be the scenes that sound good. but the ones that need it, will sound as bad as the scenes in the trailer.

both VA's english and japanese, sound like young adults. still i consider aqua a teenager.
That's jumping to way close conclusions.

It doesn't mean that if one line was emotional, and others weren't that it notes anything for the full game, other than that Willa took a bit to get in sync with Aqua.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

Okay, someone here said the Disney VA sounds bad, but I disagree strongly. It's the replacement actors that sound bad.

sonickenshin

Awards

Okay, someone here said the Disney VA sounds bad, but I disagree strongly. It's the replacement actors that sound bad.
Eh. Y'know technically, all the Disney VAs except Stitch are replacement actors.

Though honestly, I don't hear how they're bad. They feel like the characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back