• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread [complete]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

David Boreanaz or Doug Erholtz?

• David Boreanaz (KH1)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Doug Erholtz (Everything Else)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
mypage.na.square-enix.com
Re: The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread

Yeah, Jesse's gotten really awesome.

I've actually noticed that KH voice actors tend to get better the more time they spend in their roles. I suspect they don't actually tell the VAs much about their characters' motivations, and they just pick it up on their own as they go along (but once they start to get the character, they do great), or something like that.

I believe Quinton Flynn said in an interview that they really don't explain a lot about the characters when they give the VAs the scripts...

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards

Yeah, Jesse's gotten really awesome.

I've actually noticed that KH voice actors tend to get better the more time they spend in their roles. I suspect they don't actually tell the VAs much about their characters' motivations, and they just pick it up on their own as they go along (but once they start to get the character, they do great), or something like that.

I definitely agree with this. HJO as Sora, is the example in my mind. He sounded great in KH2, but I think he nailed it in RE:CoM, even though the voice didn't match the age of Sora in the game. And there's Richard Epcar too. The difference in him as Xehanort's Heartless from KH2 to RE:CoM was amazing.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website

I definitely agree with this. HJO as Sora, is the example in my mind. He sounded great in KH2, but I think he nailed it in RE:CoM, even though the voice didn't match the age of Sora in the game. And there's Richard Epcar too. The difference in him as Xehanort's Heartless from KH2 to RE:CoM was amazing.

TBH with you guys, I kinda felt bad for Epcar when he did Ansem's voice, because everyone had these standards from Zane's performance and they were disappointed, in general I guess, in Epcar.

Theart

Awards

TBH with you guys, I kinda felt bad for Epcar when he did Ansem's voice, because everyone had these standards from Zane's performance and they were disappointed, in general I guess, in Epcar.

I felt bad for Epcar after I found out that apparently they wouldn't let him hear how Zane sounded as the character in KH1 when Epcar had to redub those brief flashback scenes in KH2.

And again, he was phenomenal as XH in RE:CoM. ;D

Theart

Awards

Oh don't get me wrong. I think he did great as Ansem. But as I said, everyone expected him to have this very deep, very rich and dark voice...he kind of did, but it wasn't Zane's, you know?
Exactly. And the reason why was because he had no clue what he was supposed to sound like. :C A lot of folks don't know that. And I think it was a dumb move on the makers' part to not allow Epcar knowledge of how to preform the character. :C

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website

Exactly. And the reason why was because he had no clue what he was supposed to sound like. :C A lot of folks don't know that. And I think it was a dumb move on the makers' part to not allow Epcar knowledge of how to preform the character. :C

I wanted to hug him TBH. But yeah, they should have at LEAST shown him Ansem's cut scenes instead of telling him how to do it (and I don't even know how much they told him).

Ikkin

Bronze Member

Yeah, Re:CoM is the thing that makes me think this the most. XD All of the returning original kids were great, even though the Disney characters seemed to be misused. Riku's the one who stands out the most to me, actually, because his freak out as Repliku was awesome. xD (I think Gallagher might be the most improved VA in the entire series - he was so monotone in KH1) Though Epcar as Xehanort is a good example too (even if the personality change from "Mwahaha, DARKNESS!" to "Riku, why won't you let me seduce you to the dark side?" might have helped a bit xD; ).

...which makes it really hard to judge how the VA's going to turn out on this, because Squenix is known to use old takes in trailers, even if the acting is finished. =/

Theart

Awards

Yeah, Re:CoM is the thing that makes me think this the most. XD All of the returning original kids were great, even though the Disney characters seemed to be misused. Riku's the one who stands out the most to me, actually, because his freak out as Repliku was awesome. xD (I think Gallagher might be the most improved VA in the entire series - he was so monotone in KH1) Though Epcar as Xehanort is a good example too (even if the personality change from "Mwahaha, DARKNESS!" to "Riku, why won't you let me seduce you to the dark side?" might have helped a bit xD; ).

...which makes it really hard to judge how the VA's going to turn out on this, because Squenix is known to use old takes in trailers, even if the acting is finished. =/

True, I can't believe I'd forgotten about David. =O He did a fantastic job as Repliku in the game.

Agreed. I mean, compare the difference between the first audio of MX and the version shown in the new E3 trailer. Nimoy sounds a lot better in the new trailer. XD I'm hoping it's the same case for the final product of the game as far as Aqua's concerned. I think Willa's great overall, but I think she sounded rather off at the first scene. :C

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website

Though Epcar as Xehanort is a good example too (even if the personality change from "Mwahaha, DARKNESS!" to "Riku, why won't you let me seduce you to the dark side?" might have helped a bit xD; ).
I just lol'd. Hard.

Agreed. I mean, compare the difference between the first audio of MX and the version shown in the new E3 trailer. Nimoy sounds a lot better in the new trailer. XD I'm hoping it's the same case for the final product of the game as far as Aqua's concerned. I think Willa's great overall, but I think she sounded rather off at the first scene. :C
It's hard to judge based on two or three lines (I'm a hypocrite, I know - I squee'd so frackin' loud when I realized Terra is Christian Bale), but, as much as I like Nimoy as MX, it'll take a tad bit of getting used to.

And the hell is with the tags, people, seriously; are we going to start another tag war?!

Silverslide

need some more candy cane

Yeah! I knew Mark Hamil wasn't voicing Terra! Even though he would have done an amazing job if he was. But is that really Christian Bale?

Ikkin

Bronze Member

I just lol'd. Hard.

Well, it's true, isn't it? xD

It's hard to judge based on two or three lines (I'm a hypocrite, I know - I squee'd so frackin' loud when I realized Terra is Christian Bale), but, as much as I like Nimoy as MX, it'll take a tad bit of getting used to.

I wasn't convinced on Nimoy as MX at all from the original teaser, but it's starting to grow on me with his line to Terra about channeling the darkness.

It's kind of hard to judge the characters by this trailer anyway, since they don't show many of the more emotional scenes. =/ It'll be easier to tell more about how good Terra and Aqua do when they've got their epic lines from the Jump Festa trailer to work with.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website

Well, it's true, isn't it? xD

I wasn't convinced on Nimoy as MX at all from the original teaser, but it's starting to grow on me with his line to Terra about channeling the darkness.

It's kind of hard to judge the characters by this trailer anyway, since they don't show many of the more emotional scenes. =/ It'll be easier to tell more about how good Terra and Aqua do when they've got their epic lines from the Jump Festa trailer to work with.

Yes it's true. That's why I lol'd.

Meeeeh we need those liiiiiines! D8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back