• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Multiverse

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
Was reading Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku today on the subway on the way to pick up some weed. Had the idea to make a poster for it... sorta.

Idk I suck at this stuff.

V1:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

V2, as per Dan's suggestions:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

V3, adding on Pablo's suggestions:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:
Awards
General rule with type is never to squish or stretch it in PS or Illustrator unless you've got a very good reason or you understand the face very well. There's a number of reasons, but mostly because it just looks really off because the face was never designed to be used that way. Some foundries actually explicitly forbid people from editing their faces, but it's mostly just legal garble. Instead of squishing the font, maybe use a different one? There are lots of ways to create hierarchy with type; weight, italicism, shape, etc. I'm on the fence with that typeface, too. It's quite round and friendly, and I think something more mysterious or vague would suit the theme more.

I think you could remove that horizontal bar thing you've got going for the title, too. I think if you made the type smaller and had it floating just in the top-right on it's own you'd get a bit more out of the whole 'space' thing. Making the type smaller makes everything around it seem bigger, and you have a great opportunity to create an illusion of size/space by reducing it. The whole piece feels very centred, as well, which can get really old really fast. Play around with positioning and alignment, mix it all up a bit. Put the title down the bottom, why not? Nobody ever said titles need to be at the top, but a lot of the time they are. Why do you think that is? If you find an answer, maybe challenge it.

Aside from that, the expression is nice. First planet looks really interesting, and I like the contrast it has between the second planet, but those harsh yellow tones are a bit strong. Maybe pull them back, or try a subtler shift? I really like how you've lit the first planet, though. It's pretty dark, so I can see how difficult it'd be to get it to stand apart from the background, but you did good.

Rounded corners are a bit outdated unless you're designing web buttons or something, so I'd just leave them out. Don't be afraid to have objects and things bleeding off the edge. If you had that first planet coming right out of the corner you could make it a lot bigger, and there's a greater opportunity to create some drama there. Up to you, though.

Doin' good in general man, just keep at it.

Pablo

rocket sloth
Awards
Website
prodimator.tumblr.com
I'd darken the bottom (on the edges) of the planet in the background. Right now it just kind of looks like a floating circle in space. I would also suggest moving "Michio Kaku" closer to the rest of the words in the second piece, much like what you did in the first one, since the distance between the two is quite awkward.

Vicodin

relative power
Just wanted to pop in and say, that if you want to still gather the feeling of "stretched out" text, to adjust the kerning or letterspacing (also known as tracking). It's just basically adding space in between the letters of a word. Kerning is the space between a specific letter and the one before it, and tracking is affecting all letters. Other than that, everything you have is looking nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back