• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tech ► The iOS/Android Thread - App recommendations, jailbreaking, etc.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
So I've been using Android for about 10 or so months. I had been using iOS up until that point and it wasn't a smooth transition from one OS to another. I had a lot of issues with Android but that was mainly due to my last statement. I absolutely LOVE Android now and I don't see myself going back to iOS full time anytime soon (I have an iPod Touch so that's not 100% possible). I could have easily gotten an iPad but decided that the lack of freedom was definitely not worth it. My only gripe with Android is that firmware updates are rolled out at snail-like speed. iOS firmware updates were, and still are, hyped up MONTHS before release. Upon release, the system automatically notifies you to upgrade. I have a T-Mobile Galaxy SII. Android Jelly Bean 4.1 has been out for it since April and I didn't know until today. :/. I'm really hoping Project Butter improves my phone. It's really clunky and slow. I tried out Sliding Messenger, which you can see below, and while I've been wanting to replace my stock messaging app...it runs terribly on my phone.

I would also recommend that you guys check this video out:

[video=youtube;yR0ZGltMUTM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR0ZGltMUTM[/video]

I've found a couple of really neat apps like Mighty Text, Dashclock and Action Launcher Pro. Really excited to try out Mighty Text considering that I see myself using my Nexus 7 more than my both my laptop and cellphone combined.

My next phone upgrade isn't until February, and while I really do want an S4, a whole new batch of phones will be readily available. I'll probably wait a few months to get the S5, new Nexus, or whatever new and powerful phone will be on the market then.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Holy shit. I just spent 2 and a half hours upgrading to Android 4.1. It. was. absolutely. HORRID.

I downloaded Samsung Kies last night, and connected my phone to it today, but the stupid thing wouldn't diddlying recognize my phone. So I uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and tried again. It worked as it recognized my phone, but the damn program said I had to update to the newest version of Kies before downloading the firmware....despite already having downloaded the supposed "newest" version. So I download it...like 50 times but it still gives me the same damn response. I exit out of the program and enter it again. Cool. It works. Get the firmware upgrade started and....BAM! It hangs at 12% and fails. Retry again but the firmware does not advance past 0%. At this point, I'm ready to walk over to T-Mobile and have them deal with it. I persevere, try again, and it finally works.

Why can't it be as easy it is on iOS?

Last edited:

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
Holy shit. I just spent 2 and a half hours upgrading to Android 4.1. It. was. absolutely. HORRID.

I downloaded Samsung Kies last night, and connected my phone to it today, but the stupid thing wouldn't diddlying recognize my phone. So I uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and tried again. It worked as it recognized my phone, but the damn program said I had to update to the newest version of Kies before downloading the firmware....despite already having downloaded the supposed "newest" version. So I download it...like 50 times but it still gives me the same damn response. I exit out of the program and enter it again. Cool. It works. Get the firmware upgrade started and....BAM! It hangs at 12% and fails. Retry again but the firmware does not advance past 0%. At this point, I'm ready to walk over to T-Mobile and have them deal with it. I persevere, try again, and it finally works.

Why can't it be as easy it is on iOS?

Sometimes it helps to install the Android SDK USB Drivers first
Google USB Driver | Android Developers or
OEM USB Drivers | Android Developers

I'm guess that this is what your are using
How do I update my Samsung Galaxy S

Here is another
Update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to Official OTA Android 4.1.2 VJMS3 Jelly Bean Firmware

Not to familiar with the way Samsung updates phones being that all of my devices received OTAs, but i guess it similar to HTC RUU utilities which use a similar windows based Utility. Try installing the drivers.. If that don't i suggest taking it to to your carrier or Root.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I got my 2nd Gen Nexus 7 in the mail today but there's something I've noticed. It's completely devoid of some pretty essential applications. It has no file manager and no video player whatsoever. I downloaded ES file manager for the time being. What are the best file managers/video players out there? Are there any other essential apps that the tablet is missing?

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
should i root my huawei mytouch q, there's no solid guide for it and i'm afraid of it brickin
The Dev community for the Mytouch Q is small specially now. but you might find what you need to know going here MyTouch Q - All Things Root - Android Forums

I got my 2nd Gen Nexus 7 in the mail today but there's something I've noticed. It's completely devoid of some pretty essential applications. It has no file manager and no video player whatsoever. I downloaded ES file manager for the time being. What are the best file managers/video players out there? Are there any other essential apps that the tablet is missing?
ES File manager is probably the best file manger out there (if im not mistaken most new devices are devoid of file mangers well except newer samsungs.) I also like 7Zipper and for....

I guess ill just list some of my favs to give you ideas

- XBMC is what i use for all my video needs... Also the stock play movies app works ok for videos that are encoded properly... (You have to side load it though...)
- Play music is my music app of choice. I also bought into the All access so i can list to anything for 7.99 a month
- I use a verity of cloud storage but But BOX gives you 50GB free.
- I use OfficeSuite Pro and Google Drive for documents, powerpoints and spreadsheets
- I use both Amazon Kindle and Play books as my eReaders
- Adobe Reader for pdfs
- Both Sketch book pro and Photoshop Touch
- Smart Glass if you are a Xbox Live Member
- Emulators
* Fpse (playstation)
* Gameboid (GBA)
* GBoid (GBC)
* Gensoid (Sega Genesis)
* Muphen64 + LE (N64)
- GTA III & Vice city
- Tablet Talk it sends you Texts and Phone calls to your tablet

Mastermind

Remember Me
Awards
Depends on what phone you have. Judging from the fact that you're coming from gingerbread, then I'd wager that you have a fairly old phone. Jelly Bean might not even be feasible for it. Check XDA and see if there are any ROMs for it.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I have a question for fellow owners of the new Nexus 7. Has anyone bought an invisibleshield or similar product for their screen? I'm finding that my screen smudges.......A LOT. I feel embarrassed showing off my tablet when it has fingerprint marks everywhere.

I'm hesitant to buy an invisibleshield because Zagg hasn't made one for the new Nexus and I'm not sure if the one for the old version fits this new one.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
I have a question for fellow owners of the new Nexus 7. Has anyone bought an invisibleshield or similar product for their screen? I'm finding that my screen smudges.......A LOT. I feel embarrassed showing off my tablet when it has fingerprint marks everywhere.

I'm hesitant to buy an invisibleshield because Zagg hasn't made one for the new Nexus and I'm not sure if the one for the old version fits this new one.
The devices are the have pretty much the same screen size but the Nexus 7 (2013) has a smaller bezel so the (2012) protector may be a bit wide but im bot completely sure.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
[video=youtube;vdJUCwyEAEo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdJUCwyEAEo[/video]

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards
Very tempting but I'll save myself $400 and hold on to my Nexus 4 for a while. It hasn't even been a full year since I got it.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
The KitKat update for both WiFi Nexus 7 models should be arriving soon. I say should because Google tweeted this over a day and a half ago >.>

[video=youtube;bgjH2E5oi0Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgjH2E5oi0Y[/video]

If you can't wait, use that.

Mastermind

Remember Me
Awards
So, I got a Nexus 5. The screen, in my opinion, just pops in a way that the N4's didn't. It's really beautiful. The overall design is also better once you actually see it in person and N4 was a great looking device. Feels great in hand and it's responsive, naturally. It's not. Necessary upgrade but it is welcome.

As as for you, Hero. Definitely download Titanium Backup. Great app for backing up things.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I got my Note 3 yesterday. I didn't realize how big the screen was until I started using it. 5.7 inches is fucking huge. I feel like there's almost no point in using my Nexus 7 anymore.

I may or may not root. There's a lot of fucking bloatware installed that I would love to get rid of, but Samsung has included a security feature (aimed primarily for corporate users) called Knox that gets tripped when you root/install a custom rom. Luckily, my baseband isn't affected so the only thing that's holding me back are the S Pen features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back