• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Golden Compass: Good or Bad?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

The Golden Compass

• Good

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xsora5X

well i read that it is totally against chronicles of narnia. the guy who made it hates c.s.lewis. the truth behind the story is actually at the end of the third book(there are three books) that the characters find and kill god. it is totally atheistic. the other title of the golden compass is his dark materials book 1. so that shows you that it is very bad.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
So you're ok with children reading books promoting Christianity and denouncing unbelief, but you're apparently not ok with children reading books promoting unbelief and denouncing Christianity?

Explain this logic to me, please.

PS: I have not read the books, but after reading the link, they sound quite interesting, so I'll be on the lookout for them next time I go to Borders.

[Des+]

Under an umbrella in a rain-drenched night, waitin
So you're ok with children reading books promoting Christianity and denouncing unbelief, but you're apparently not ok with children reading books promoting unbelief and denouncing Christianity?

Explain this logic to me, please.

PS: I have not read the books, but after reading the link, they sound quite interesting, so I'll be on the lookout for them next time I go to Borders.

No one said that. I'm against anything promoting just one thing, such as Atheism, or even Christianity, even though I am a Christian.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Why? Books hold the opinion of the author, especially fantasy books. How is this one different?

Hollow Bastion

Crimson
Awards
Keep in mind also that there's a much greater chance that he's put the focus of the book on anti-religion, not anti-Christian. But because this is in the Western world, apparently it must be anti-Christian..

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
My aunts were discussing how parents should not let their children see this movie because it's about killing god (which is probably just retarded heresay). I want to see it based solely upon that merit.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
her·e·sy
noun, plural
-Opinion or doctrine at variance with the orthodox or accepted doctrine of a church or religious system.
-Any belief or theory that is strongly at variance with established beliefs, customs, etc.

Damn those people and their varying opinions that are different from that of an established belief or religion, the nerve of some people to believe differently from what others do, how dare they!

Jopari

One quick thing to point out. Never at any point do Will or Lyra(the protagonists) harm God. They free him from a prison and he dies of old age. Get it right.

If His Dark Materials is bad then let me compile a list of other books that are bad.

The Bible (Promotes religion)
Future of Illusion (Promotes atheism)
Paradise Lost (Promotes religion{From Satan's PoV})

The list goes on and on. Really, if we're going to be biased, let's at least burn all the books. We're an equal opportunity bigot here.

Jopari

1 I t looks stupid
2 It offenses my religion

Sorry, but so does offenses.

Alright, we'll start with point number one. Why does it look stupid? How does it's appearance determine the moral value of a film and whether or not it's good for the moral sense of a community? The Golden Compass is a stunning piece of literature that deserves to be read. I read Narnia, and to be honest, as a film it was terrible.

Second point. How does a personal religion affect the moral upstanding of a diverse community?

KingBlade

by sinspire^
Can someone explain how this movie is bad? It denounces religion?

Confused on the whole basis of these arguments I been hearing.

Hollow Bastion

Crimson
Awards
Apparently because the book is by an atheist/agnostic and that the trilogy takes the opposite religious direction when compared to C.S. Lewis's work, then therefore the movie must be bad.

Basically, if it promotes religion, it's good. If it doesn't, it's bad.

Q

Banned
The books are extremely interesting, and I like them immensely.

Also, the argument about religion is irrelevant. By barring yourself from other opinions, you become a sheep, clinging desperately onto the words of your shepherd for guidance and self-esteem. That's why I'm not of any religion.

[Des+]

Under an umbrella in a rain-drenched night, waitin
Apparently because the book is by an atheist/agnostic and that the trilogy takes the opposite religious direction when compared to C.S. Lewis's work, then therefore the movie must be bad.

Basically, if it promotes religion, it's good. If it doesn't, it's bad.

But if it promotes religion, of any kind, would just reading the book be bad?

Jopari

But if it promotes religion, of any kind, would just reading the book be bad?

All books promote something. All books have a message. It's impossible to differentiate and say this one is morally unacceptable and shouldn't be published and this one isn't and should be a best seller. Really this all comes down to a matter of personal opinion.

In my opinion I'll read HDM and Narnia, and like them both. They are both enjoyable pieces of literature with entertaining plots and a message that should at least be heard. Promoting religion isn't bad, but promoting atheism isn't either. It comes down to a persons choice to be influenced by either.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Exactly, that's the point of a book: to get a point through.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
They are great books. His Dark Materials and The Chronicles of Narnia.

However, Pullman is a very divisive figure when it comes to matters of belief and non-belief. He himself has baselessly called Narnia racist and sexist, and shouldn't be read by any child. The grounds for these charges, I cannot find anywhere in the seven books. I have little respect for Pullman outside of his literature.

There's one thing you have to understand about Narnia. It's trumpeted as a fantasy series for Christians, and that each of the books are sort of "moral guidelines" for children. This, is flat out wrong. Narnia, in fact, is a hodgepodge of Lewis's fantasical and spiritual wonder. Heavily influenced by many cultures: Greek, Roman, Norse, Pagan, etc. There is one character in particular that we can flat out link to Christianity. Aslan. Another little known fact: Aslan is not Jesus.

Back when Narnia was being published in the early 1950's, Lewis came under fire from many Christian groups in Oxford. They simply could not accept that Lewis was writing fantasy for children, that anthropormorphized a lion to be like Jesus Christ. Blasphemous. :\

However, to them, Lewis said that Aslan was indeed not Jesus, but a suppositional representation of a Christ-like figure in another world. As fantasical as the other characters of differing mythos. A new book will be out earlier next year entitled, "Planet Narnia". In this book, which looks at the Chronicles of Narnia in a whole new way, it states that the Greek mythos in Narnia was something subtly more powerful than the others. I've had a chance to read some excerpts, and it is well-written, and doesn't take anything in the Chronicles out of context.

As so many evangelicals have.

Narnia isn't like HDM, which openly juts itself into the belief vs. non-belief debacle. Narnia isn't something that promotes Christianity. If it is, then it's just as guilty of promoting Paganism.

On the other hand, because it has a Christ-like figure, it's drawn the slings and arrows of culture warriors like Pullman and Gaiman, who've already established that they understand little about the Chronicles are about.

Last edited:

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
her·e·sy
noun, plural
-Opinion or doctrine at variance with the orthodox or accepted doctrine of a church or religious system.
-Any belief or theory that is strongly at variance with established beliefs, customs, etc.

Damn those people and their varying opinions that are different from that of an established belief or religion, the nerve of some people to believe differently from what others do, how dare they!

Heresy and hearsay are two entirely different things.

Also, Aslan is totally Jesus, no matter how many hairs you split. Jesus himself? No, but a nearly identical character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back