• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Katsuno_Hitomi

Everything you wanted to know about Mormon's but were afraid to ask.

If you have any questions about my religion, feel free to ask me here. Mormon.org is the church's official website for those who want to know more about us, so feel free to go there if you want.

We are not just in Utah, by the way. Half of the church's members live outside the US and Canada. I've met members from Mongolia, South Korea, Nigeria, Ghana. I'd estimate our numbers at about 14 million and still growing.

So, any questions?

Mods, feel free to delete if a similar thread exists.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
My whole family on my father's side is mormon, so I know quite a bit about them.

I was never very devote (I always hated going to church because it was incredibly boring, though nowadays i find it less unentertaining), and due to some friction my father had with the church I was never baptised into it. I eventually just lost faith in the church and its teachings around 12 or so.

My family still make me go with them on occasion, but for the moment I don't think I'll be very eager to go back to the faith any time soon. Not that I was ever really a part of it.

Last edited:
A

Azrael

I never know any Mormons but considering that I had heard that Mormons were partially responsible for banning gay marriage in California, I would like to say...what does your faith have againist marriage between homosexuals?

Urbane

Who in face are you?!
Did you join simply just to preach your religion? So...you come to our doors and to our computers huh...you guys are pretty persistant, I'll give you that.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I'm far more interested in just hearing what you believe with regards to your religion, rather than me just asking questions.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
Okay then, I have some questions:

Do you believe that Heaven (and/or Hell) is a physical place?

Do you believe there may be life on other planets?

How old is the Earth by your belief?

Are you allowed to consume caffeine? Alcohol? Other drugs (including medical)?

Do you believe that life begins at conception (sperm x egg, etc.)?

Do you believe the Earth is (or once was) flat?

Do you believe in a literal Tribulation (rapture, antichrist, armageddon, second coming of Christ, etc.)?

Do you view women as second class citizens? Is polygamy morally fine to you?

Last edited:
S

Shadow Soldier

I want to know if Mormon's know how to piss off and stop pissing people off? Or is that against you're religion?

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Is polygamy morally fine to you?

I can answer that one.

Originally, due to things like Solomon and his thousand concubines, polygamy was originally seen by earlier mormons to be desirable, but after hardened persecution, apparently (see:apparently) one of the churches' leaders had a vision from god that told him polygamy was no longer acceptable.

Nowadays, the main LDS branch outlaws polygamy, but there are still a few obscure sects that practice it.

Katsuno_Hitomi

Umm, no. We don't as a whole live underground. Although I hear living underground does drastically cut the heating and cooling bill down.

Now to answer Ragione's queries.

1. Yes. But more importantly, it is a state of being either with or cut off from God.

2.Yes, but they are most likely just like us in appearance. We are taught that there are literally worlds without number, and that the inhabitants are spirit sons and daughters of God, just like us Earthlings.

3. There is no formal teaching on how old the earth is. Personally, I believe it's as old as the scientists say it is, although I don't believe that humans have been around for nearly as long as said scientists say.

4. No alcohol, no tea or coffee, and certainly no recreational drug use. Medical use is just fine; my mother takes a truckload of medicine each day and I've yet to see a local church leader chastize her for it. Caffinated soft drinks are usually avoided by church members;there was also a recent article in our church magazine warning against the over use of energy drinks.

5. Yes. We believe that life begins at conception.

6. Earth's been round since it's creation.

7. We do not believe in a rapture. There will be an antichrist, armageddon, and the Second Coming of Jesus.

8. Women are the equals of men. The reason we don't have the priesthood is because we have the calling of raising children rightously. Polygamy is no longer practiced by the mmainstream Church, according to the laws of the land.

No, I did not join just to preach my religion. I joined because I enjoy the Kingdom Hearts series. I just saw an oppotunity to share my beliefs and went for it.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
1. Yes. But more importantly, it is a state of being either with or cut off from God.

Seems kinda funny for me to be asking this, considering I should know the answer but...is that all "hell" is? Just separation from god? Looks like I'll be just fine then.

Last edited:

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Do you consider yourself saved by the Bible's standards? Why or why not?
Why do you read the Book of Mormon? Have you read Revelation 22:18 "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:"?

No alcohol, no tea or coffee,
Why? Jesus drank alcohol.

7. We do not believe in a rapture.
Have you read this verse?

But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about those who have died, so that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have died. For this we declare to you by the Word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will by no means precede those who have died. For the Lord Himself, with a shout, with the archangel's call and with the sound of God's trumpet, will descend from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up in the clouds together with them to meet the Lord in the air; and so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage one another with these words (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18).

Another explanation is given in First Corinthians.

Listen, I will tell you a mystery! We will not all die, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For this perishable body must put on imperishability, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When this perishable body puts on imperishability, and this mortal body puts on immortality, then the saying that is written will be fulfilled: "Death has been swallowed up in victory." "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved, be steadfast, immovable, always excelling in the work of the Lord, because you know that in the Lord your labor is not in vain (1 Corinthians 15:51-58).

Last edited:

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
Okay then, I have some questions:

Do you believe that Heaven (and/or Hell) is a physical place?

Do you believe there may be life on other planets?

How old is the Earth by your belief?

Are you allowed to consume caffeine? Alcohol? Other drugs (including medical)?

Do you believe that life begins at conception (sperm x egg, etc.)?

Do you believe the Earth is (or once was) flat?

Do you believe in a literal Tribulation (rapture, antichrist, armageddon, second coming of Christ, etc.)?

Do you view women as second class citizens? Is polygamy morally fine to you?

1. Yes.

2. I do. I'm pretty sure all of us do.

3. I don't know. Pretty much way more than 2000 years to me.

4. You're totally "allowed" to do anything you want. Our church is big on agency. But typically Mormons abide by the Word of Wisdom (found in Doctrine & Covenants section 89, D&C being a book of revelations given to the prophet Joseph Smith), which states that we shouldn't have caffeine and stuff. You're allowed to use medicines and stuff, though.

5. Personally, I don't know. Maybe my views on that will change if I get pregnant someday, but I don't really think it starts right at conception. But I'm not speaking on behalf of ALL Mormons...

6. No.

7. I totally believe in the second coming.

8. Uh, I'm a girl. And I've never been treated like I'm second to men, and polygamy was never desirable to MOST Mormons. Joseph Smith had to be instructed on that matter multiple times, and finally, when Heavenly Father said, "Joseph, if you don't listen, you're going to suffer," he reluctantly enstated it. Most Mormons don't want plural marriage, though. The people who do, they're part of the FLDS church. Not the LDS church.

Well, I don't know if my opinions matter for anything, but I converted to Mormonism recently. I was baptized January 3rd of this year.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
We don't.

Missionaries use bikes, but some missionaries even use cars. I live in Utah. We all drive.

EDIT: So, I guess I could explain... Missionaries mostly use bikes because they're more approachable that way. It's not like... cars are unholy or anything like that, it's just harder to contact people and stuff when you're driving.

Sometimes if they have to go somewhere far away though, they get a member to drive them to their appointments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back