• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Tetsuya Nomura's Kingdom Hearts 3 Interview with Engadget!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Re: Tetsuya Nomura's Kingdom Hearts 3 Interview with Engadget!

The touchpad might actually be very useful for KH3. I imagine each swiping direction: up, down, left, right, or a tap can be set as a shortcut for magic/attractions/summons/drives/etc. It would make things much more convenient especially how the touchpad is placed in a good spot for your thumb.
That would be a great way to include it with out it being mandatory to play (for those unlucky duck Xbox One users)

Aw hell, I just know I'll spend like half an hour getting up that mountain then accidentally falling off. And if this is before Flowmotion then I will just die.

Another note, since it's all seamless, going from the Coliseum to Mount Olympus, I wonder what they'll do for checkpoints in case Sora dies. Will auto/manual save be in, or will we just have to suffer?

I'm guessing autosaves checkpoints so if you die you can click continue and be back there but save portals for when you actually plan on leaving the game.

My longshot hope & dream is Sora, Riku, & Kairi all get scenarios with only the key original worlds overlapping between them. That game would be gigantic.
That would be awesome and then they could have their own parties.

Sora Donald Goofy
Riku Mickey (maybe additional GoL)
Kairi Axel (maybe additional GoL)
Assuming SRMKA are GoL ofc which could be inaccurate but more or less some lineup like this.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

The Touchpad has been an amazing addition to games. I've not once found it annoying in anything. In tomb raider, sliding up make Lara light the torch, and down put it out and that worked so well.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

Aw hell, I just know I'll spend like half an hour getting up that mountain then accidentally falling off. And if this is before Flowmotion then I will just die.

Another note, since it's all seamless, going from the Coliseum to Mount Olympus, I wonder what they'll do for checkpoints in case Sora dies. Will auto/manual save be in, or will we just have to suffer?
I've had my fill of "death by accidental falling" from Xenoblade so I hope KHIII doesn't that (I'm fine with some falling damage, though.)
I will however purposely fall to my death in III just to see if there's an achievement for it~

Kingdom Hearts usually has plenty of save points so dieing hopefully won't be much of an issue (but checkpoints would be nice.)

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards

There's never been fall damage in the series (or is there something I'm missing?) and I wouldn't wanna see that. Besides, Sora flew in previous installments, fall damage doesn't really fit in.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

There's never been fall damage in the series (or is there something I'm missing?) and I wouldn't wanna see that. Besides, Sora flew in previous installments, fall damage doesn't really fit in.
No, you're not missing anything. They've never done it before, but with the seemlessness of KHIII, they might this time (if you don't bother saving yourself that is.)

Shogo-Kun

Awards

I actually hope there is fall damage. That'd be sweet. However, if there is no auto-saving in this game, I'm gonna be pissed.

Anagram

Banned

The touchpad might actually be very useful for KH3. I imagine each swiping direction: up, down, left, right, or a tap can be set as a shortcut for magic/attractions/summons/drives/etc. It would make things much more convenient especially how the touchpad is placed in a good spot for your thumb.

No thanks. I want buttons. There is no room for error with a button. When you press it it does the thing. Simple.

Antar

Awards

No thanks. I want buttons. There is no room for error with a button. When you press it it does the thing. Simple.

What? Having room for error on a touchpad is good. That means if you accidentally swipe a little bit slanted, it won't register that as a different direction. Having no room for error means you would have to be very precise which wouldn't be a good idea. I don't see what you're worried about, on the touchpad you swipe up and it does the thing. Simple, too. If someone has problems swiping in 4 directions with a margin for error then they most likely misclick buttons anyway. Try picking up something, like you phone for example, and hold it like a controller. Then try swiping in 4 directions with your right thumb. It's practically like another set of face buttons.

Anagram

Banned

What? Having room for error on a touchpad is good. That means if you accidentally swipe a little bit slanted, it won't register that as a different direction. Having no room for error means you would have to be very precise which wouldn't be a good idea. I don't see what you're worried about, on the touchpad you swipe up and it does the thing. Simple, too. If someone has problems swiping in 4 directions with a margin for error then they most likely misclick buttons anyway. Try picking up something, like you phone for example, and hold it like a controller. Then try swiping in 4 directions with your right thumb. It's practically like another set of face buttons.

No being precise when trying to do basic attacks or spells with normal enemies is a pain in the rear. If it was some sequence with a boss or minigame precision has merit as it's part of that experience but other wise it merely makes something more annoying than it needs to be.
I haven't mislicked a button since I was in kindergarden yet cant work touchcontrols worth a damn so might wanna expand that view a bit friend.

I dont like touchcontrols and I dont want them forced one me to do something that a button could easily do.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards

I've had my fill of "death by accidental falling" from Xenoblade so I hope KHIII doesn't that (I'm fine with some falling damage, though.)
I will however purposely fall to my death in III just to see if there's an achievement for it~

Kingdom Hearts usually has plenty of save points so dieing hopefully won't be much of an issue (but checkpoints would be nice.)

I think every single one of us that will get the game will do that at least once. :p

SephirothZ

I dont really want auto-save. I prefer the scattered save points like in every other KH game. If you die, tough luck, you were not good enough, try again. There was always plenty of save points for each world. Most of you are probably better players than me (you beat it on Critical and all that jazz), but I still want a little bit of a challenge. Set save points and that should be enough. No one has complained about the previous installments in regard to saving the game, why change it now?

Guard the Light

Agreed mate! It gave the game more of rpg feel than I think auto save does. It makes situations seem more powerful.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

I dont really want auto-save. I prefer the scattered save points like in every other KH game. If you die, tough luck, you were not good enough, try again. There was always plenty of save points for each world. Most of you are probably better players than me (you beat it on Critical and all that jazz), but I still want a little bit of a challenge. Set save points and that should be enough. No one has complained about the previous installments in regard to saving the game, why change it now?
Cause in previous games there were loading, which meant you continued at the start of the area. KH3 worlds are seemless so if you spend 40 minutes going from one side of the world to the other and die without any checkpoints like in previous games, you just lost those 40 minutes

radiantmemories

But then if you accidentally encounter a boss you aren't ready for when you decide to continue just a little bit extra and then it autosaves...

BEASTENDER

You know what I'm going to miss with this seamless loading? I loved the names they gave the individual areas when you went to a new screen. Each one was different and a lot were creative. Like Betwixt and Between, Cavern of Remembrance, Avenue to Dreams, or Memory's Scyscraper. There were so many interesting sounding ones, but it looks like they may be gone forever. As much as I'll miss that, small loading times and seamless transitions are a good thing.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

You know what I'm going to miss with this seamless loading? I loved the names they gave the individual areas when you went to a new screen. Each one was different and a lot were creative. Like Betwixt and Between, Cavern of Remembrance, Avenue to Dreams, or Memory's Scyscraper. There were so many interesting sounding ones, but it looks like they may be gone forever. As much as I'll miss that, small loading times and seamless transitions are a good thing.

If I might take a wild guess I'd say the different areas will still have their individual names like i.e. Fountain Court in Radiant Garden.
The only difference will be that players can only see the name when they go into the main menu. So far it has been always so that the name of the current area is shown in one corner of the main menu.

BEASTENDER

If I might take a wild guess I'd say the different areas will still have their individual names like i.e. Fountain Court in Radiant Garden.
The only difference will be that players can only see the name when they go into the main menu. So far it has been always so that the name of the current area is shown in one corner of the main menu.

Now that I think about it, given the sheer size of the worlds now, they have to have some form of identification so you're not totally lost, and know where to go (Instead of just having way-points and markers telling you where to go all the time). And they can also display the name of the area for a few seconds once you cross a certain point. So basically the same thing, except without the black loading screen :).

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards

Cause in previous games there were loading, which meant you continued at the start of the area. KH3 worlds are seemless so if you spend 40 minutes going from one side of the world to the other and die without any checkpoints like in previous games, you just lost those 40 minutes

What Sephiroth says. Plus, they can still have "checkpoints" (the equivalent of KH2's "start at the entrance of the area if you get killed" system) in each little area, even if the world is seamless.

SephirothZ

The same was done while grinding in KH2. Whether it is seamless or not does not really make a difference. If you have 2-3 save points throughout the world, then it is the same. It does not matter if it is one giant seamless room or multiple rooms like in the previous games. It is your own fault for playing 40 minutes without saving to be honest. Most of us should know to save every so often, especially when grinding. Auto-saves are not very reliable or necessary in RPGs.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I personally dislike auto-saving. Sometimes I make progress I didn't really want to make (used up too many items/bought the wrong thing/wasted materials on melding/synthesis), so I will reset my console to make sure those mistakes don't follow me through the rest of the game.

There are also games that autosave you in a place just before a boss or big event where you can't back out so you get stuck in a point where you may be too weak or unprepared or even causes you to miss out on something in the game for the rest of your play through if you didn't do it before reaching a certain point.

If they decide on autosaves, please let it be optional.

I much prefer save spots or being able to save directly from the pause menu. Save spots are a staple of this series at this point, so I feel like they should just keep it. It isn't like they don't already put them in a lot of places. To make it easier on the player in this more seamless world design, they should be located on the map and players should be able to use them as waypoints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back