• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Spyro The Dragon | Reignited Trilogy

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
It's not acceptable. All three Crash remakes fit on a single disc. And I am certain people would gladly have bought a separate release of each game if necessary.

The Uncharted trilogy fit on a single disc too and those games are way bigger than Spyro.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I can't express how disappointed I am in Activision for this move.

Soldier

Awards
Wait a minute, I'm confused, does this mean that if you buy the physical PS4 version it only comes with the first game?

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Wait a minute, I'm confused, does this mean that if you buy the physical PS4 version it only comes with the first game?

The other two games are included in the cost, but they aren’t actually on the disc. The disc will just allow you to download them for free. A similar situation might be happening with KH3 since they’ve been struggling to fit the game on the disc. Nomura said to be prepared for that possibility in an interview. Although, I doubt he meant two thirds of the game...

I think more and more developers will be doing this to cut costs in manufacturing discs and raise their profits. It’s kind of bogus to me though. If you purchase a physical copy, your entire purchase should be included in that physical copy, even if the developer has to use multiple discs like the old days. But I guess it’s better than cutting the content entirely or charging it as DLC.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
It's still not okay. If the disc itself only lets me play 1/3 of its content right out of the box, that's terrible. Then I might as well buy the games digitally. I know some people don't mind digital releases - good for you. But this is not about you.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
It's still not okay. If the disc itself only lets me play 1/3 of its content right out of the box, that's terrible. Then I might as well buy the games digitally. I know some people don't mind digital releases - good for you. But this is not about you.

^ This. I'm not buying a season pass disc of an episodic Telltale game. I'm paying for 3 games that will be complete on launch and could certainly fit on one disc. And if not, double disc it. If I'm paying for it physically I want it physically, especially if there's no good reason why it isn't all being included on disc.

My internet isn't always great, and I'm honestly just more of an old school gamer who misses the simplicity of buying a disc, popping it in, and voila, done. No day 1 updates, deleting games to make storage space, etc. Now don't misunderstand me, I get it. We're lucky bugs can be fixed with patches, I get that installing games that are way more demanding than those of the past helps with performance. But give me a break where you can, don't just allow me to buy a third of your product physically.

Edit: Also, my friends and I have always been big on letting each other borrow games, especially if one of us just can't buy it for a while. This is the kind of thing that really kills the game borrowing/lending.

Last edited:

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Even Capcom released Mega Man X Legacy Collection on two discs. But I think the issue here is not that they don't fit on the disc. They most certainly do. I think the games aren't completely finished yet, but instead of delaying the physical release they decided it was a good move to go ahead and print what's currently finished on the disc anyway because they know the rest will be done by the time of release. It sets a really bad precedent for future game releases if they get away with this. I think most fans would rather wait another month or two for a complete physical package.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Spyro would have benefited from a holiday release tbh. Have it out in December just in time for it to be stocking stuffer makes more sense to me than late September in the middle of a massive game drop.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
It makes even less sense to not delay when you consider that the inevitable Switch release isn't happening until later anyway.

ImVentus

Awards
My internet isn't always great, and I'm honestly just more of an old school gamer who misses the simplicity of buying a disc, popping it in, and voila, done. No day 1 updates, deleting games to make storage space, etc. Now don't misunderstand me, I get it. We're lucky bugs can be fixed with patches, I get that installing games that are way more demanding than those of the past helps with performance. But give me a break where you can, don't just allow me to buy a third of your product physically.

I miss those days too. This was just a really greedy and shitty move on Activision's part.

Soldier

Awards
The other two games are included in the cost, but they aren’t actually on the disc. The disc will just allow you to download them for free. A similar situation might be happening with KH3 since they’ve been struggling to fit the game on the disc. Nomura said to be prepared for that possibility in an interview. Although, I doubt he meant two thirds of the game...

I think more and more developers will be doing this to cut costs in manufacturing discs and raise their profits. It’s kind of bogus to me though. If you purchase a physical copy, your entire purchase should be included in that physical copy, even if the developer has to use multiple discs like the old days. But I guess it’s better than cutting the content entirely or charging it as DLC.
Curses, that's what that means, then what happens when the PS store goes offline? does that mean the 2nd and 3rd games are lost forever? I didn't play the first one, only the 2nd and 3rd, so I think it's pretty ridiculous.

Pokie

Spyro would have benefited from a holiday release tbh. Have it out in December just in time for it to be stocking stuffer makes more sense to me than late September in the middle of a massive game drop.

I know Spiderman is coming out then and DQXI, but what else is coming out then ??

Recon

Art of War
Awards
It's a bit saddening to see that people are canceling their preorders because of this. I really had high hopes for this game(´ヘ`;)

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I know Spiderman is coming out then and DQXI, but what else is coming out then ??
Tomb Raider, Destiny 2: Foresaken, Life is Strange 2, The World Ends With You (Japan), Forza Horizon 4, Assassins Creed Odyssey, Red Dead Redemption 2, WWE 2k19, Battlefield 5...

And that’s only scratching the surface. There’s a lot more high profile games than Spyro coming out September / October and we haven’t even gotten into November. I’m sure their marketing team and sales forecast team would have looked at a December release and know the negatives against it, but a Christmas present game sounds more appealing all round for Spyro.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
It's a bit saddening to see that people are canceling their preorders because of this. I really had high hopes for this game(´ヘ`;)

Activision are bringing this onto themselves though.

Soldier

Awards
But isn't that what killed spyro in the first place? year of the dragonfly was released in december for the christmas rush, and look at that game's state?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
But isn't that what killed spyro in the first place? year of the dragonfly was released in december for the christmas rush, and look at that game's state?
I can’t speak for how anything was done back then, but from what you described it sounds like a rushed game killed off Spyro. This would have been giving the game an extra two months in the oven and increased the chance of it all being on the disc at launch.

Back