• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So what are the chances of a KH3 Pocket Edition?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
So the chibi mobile version of FFXV has now released on PS4/XB1 & will soon release on the Nintendo Switch, making it technically the 1st mainline FF on a Nintendo platform in over 20 years. This kinda had me wondering what other pocket versions of AAA games could Square give the pocket treatment. FFXV is a tad unique due to the sheer degree that Square's milked this game but if PE has been profitable for them, that could very well encourage them to try it again with other titles.

Unlike XV, KH3 might be possible to port fully to Switch as it's devloped on Unreal Engine 4 which is supported on Switch. However there's no chance in hell of it running on smartphones. So I can see S-E making a KH3PE for mobile in order to reach a wider audience.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
KH3 as it is made should be the true and only way to experience KH3. They spent so much time creating this visually impressive, gameplay-rich experience for fans.

In theory, the idea of a Pocket Edition would be really interesting just to see how they would approach it, but a diet-KH3 that essentially exists for story only and watered down combat sounds absolutely dreadful. People complain about the story constantly and praise the gameplay, so I just find it hard to believe that people would even WANT a version of the game that is story-focused. Not every game needs to be made into a mobile game.

Also Nomura would be so against any idea that was born of XV. Like...I bet he doesn’t even know it exists because he tends to tune out the happenings of the rest of the company.

That in mind, I also feel that XV put it in a unique position to be able to experiment with so many different kinds of games because it is a standalone game.

I would rather see that kind of effort go into another kind of KH project.

Disclaimer: I really like FFXV Pocket Edition and bought it on my PS4 last night and plan to get it for the Switch.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
If anything, they should start with a Pocket version of KH1 and then go from there. Or a totally new story. I would love a KH mobile game that I can pay a set price for and doesn’t involve micro transactions.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
If anything, they should start with a Pocket version of KH1 and then go from there. Or a totally new story. I would love a KH mobile game that I can pay a set price for and doesn’t involve micro transactions.

Yeah, I’d take a whole new story if it were a KH-lite without the manipulative exploitation of addictive habits in humans and blatant corporate greed.

At the same time...god this series is so impossible. Nomura would want to make anything new relevant to the main canon, so wanting cute little games to play will always lead to some sort of mess.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
coincidentally, the chances are exactly the same as those of me blowing my brains out.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Huh, I guess the Mandela effect is kicking in, because I could've sworn it was called FFXV Lobotomy Version, but y'know, Berenstein, Berenstain.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
While I'm sure development costs for KH3 haven't been cheap, I can only assume that one of the main reasons Pocket Edition even exists in the first place was to milk the XV name. A massive amount of money went into XV and still is with the upcoming DLC packs. The fact that Square greenlit a game like FFXV: A New Empire is proof that they're trying to recoup and/or profit as much as they can off this game. I honestly think Pocket Edition was created solely so Square could have yet another mobile game on the market to line their pockets after spending so much on XV. And since it was already made, why not put it on the Switch since it's a very popular console? And while we're porting to consoles, might as well cash in on the PlayStation and Xbox crowd yet again! Why not, right?

I don't see a KH3 pocket edition happening, because KH3 didn't go through the development hell that XV went through. I'm sure development has been pricey, but XV also had multiple separate demos, Kingsglaive, Brotherhood, and more all of which only further added to the money spent the XV universe. It's no wonder Square milks it to death. So, I don't see it happening with KH3 unless Square basically demands that it happen against Nomura's will.

bagcifreak

LBR there will definitely be a new KH mobile game after KHUX and I would like to see that game being made in the style of FFXV Pocket Edition. The game should serve the KH story but also not too much. Also I wouldn't want it to be free to play, konda like KH Coded.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Id' rather they'd use those resources for Theatrerythm KH and Disidia KH. Part of what makes KH is the gameplay. FFXV's is much more simplistic than KH3's, so it was easier to make that sort of decision.

sephydark

Awards
Yeah, I also think that XV pocket edition was at least partly because SE was worried about money and wanted to make sure they could make enough off XV. I think they are less worried about their finances right now though, so stuff like that should be less of a priority.

Plus, I have to imagine they know that a lot of the draw of KH is because of the gameplay, so releasing a watered down version that's mostly just there for the story would be a pretty bad idea.

Pokie

Why though? The Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition is just Square money-grabbing. A KH3 themed World Of Final Fantasy would have more depth.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Id' rather they'd use those resources for Theatrerythm KH and Disidia KH. Part of what makes KH is the gameplay. FFXV's is much more simplistic than KH3's, so it was easier to make that sort of decision.

Oh my god, I forgot about how much I've always wanted that.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
They did that already. It was called RECoded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back