• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Since Donald and Goofy didn't recognize Ventus after Sora showed them the picture of Roxas in KH2...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
It's called a retcon, son. Deal with it.

REALLY?! I had NO idea!

tumblr_mnnk7n7koB1rtjjupo1_250.gif

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Something that wasn't clearly established before isn't even a retcon.
They didn't rectify anything there because it was ambigious to begin with in the japanese original.
It's just a dumb translation error that really doesn't deserve to be made such a fuss over.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
After watching the KH2 cutscene in which Goofy "introduced" Pete to Sora by the tower, I would like to point out that even in Japanese, Goofy said "the King". This is his line, verbatim:

Goofy said:
昔俺たちの世界で悪さばかりしていたんだよ。だから王様が異空間の牢獄に閉じ込めたはずなんだけどー
Mukashi ore-tachi no sekai de warusa bakari shite ita nda yo. Dakara Ō-sama ga ikūkan no rōgoku ni tojikometa hazu na nda kedo...

This translates into something along the lines of "Long ago, he only did bad things in our world. Therefore, the King (Ō-sama) locked him up in a prison in another dimension. He should have, but..."

But I digress; it's a topic for another day.

Last edited:
Awards
After watching the KH2 cutscene in which Goofy "introduced" Pete to Sora by the tower, I would like to point out that even in Japanese, Goofy said "the King". This is his line, verbatim:

This translates into something along the lines of "Long ago, he only did bad things in our world. Therefore, the King (Ō-sama) locked him up in a prison in another dimension. He should have, but..."

But I digress; it's a topic for another day.

Well at least now we can't blame it on English translators.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Goofy and Donald met Ven for what couldn't have been more than five minutes a decade prior in a relatively uneventful meeting while they were concerned about King Mickey. The only reason They gave Ven the time of day in the first place was because he knew Mickey but were overall uninterested in him as a person. It's much like when they first met Sora, they weren't all that interested in him per se, they were just intested in the fact that he had "The Key" and Mickey ordered them to go where ever the key went.

Besides, when it came to apperances, KH2 as a whole was kind of...weird. It's like it wasn't sure certain characters where supposed to look like others or not. Canonically, Sora, Ven, Roxas, and Vanitas are supposed to like similar with a few variations, as well as Kairi, Namine, and Xion. The games (particularly KH2) only aknowledge this when it's convinient. e.g., I'm more baffled that Donald and Goofy, or even Sora himself, didn't point out that Roxas looked like Sora when they saw the picture of him.

Meanwhile, Aqua notices that Sora is the spitting image of Ven even though there's a good ten year or so age difference, lol.

KH is over all weird when it comes to this sort of thing so I think this is a case where it's probably better to not mind it much and chalk it up to the writters being lazy.

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards
Something that wasn't clearly established before isn't even a retcon.
They didn't rectify anything there because it was ambigious to begin with in the japanese original.
It's just a dumb translation error that really doesn't deserve to be made such a fuss over.

And that wasn't even the only one, the translators also interpreted the dialogue between sora and roxas during their battle wrong as well.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
And that wasn't even the only one, the translators also interpreted the dialogue between sora and roxas during their battle wrong as well.
And come 4 games later we'll discover that Keyblades have genders. You know it's gonna happen...
Were there any other mistranslations like that? And I don't mean misspellings.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Were there any other mistranslations like that? And I don't mean misspellings.

Hmm...I haven't played kh2 in a long time so I can't say off hand but I do remember the roxas one greatly because of the confusion it caused.
The line "his majesty" is also one such mistranslation but we didn't notice till bbs when it was actually Minnie that sent pete away.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
The line "his majesty" is also one such mistranslation but we didn't notice till bbs when it was actually Minnie that sent pete away.

Actually, as I've posted above, the "His Majesty" line (if you're referring to the scene with Pete by the tower in KH2) isn't a mistranslation. I think the writers forgot that the line existed and went on ahead to unknowingly create a new background story about Pete's banishment.

Not that it has to do with anything, but the writing quality of KH is not known to be stellar. That said, so that this post of mine is still at least loosely connected with the topic of the thread, let me just say that I still would hardly consider why Roxas didn't ring a bell to Donald and Goofy a retcon since there exists a plausible explanation that has been elaborated on the first few posts.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Actually, as I've posted above, the "His Majesty" line (if you're referring to the scene with Pete by the tower in KH2) isn't a mistranslation. I think the writers forgot that the line existed and went on ahead to unknowingly create a new background story about Pete's banishment.

Not that it has to do with anything, but the writing quality of KH is not known to be stellar. That said, so that this post of mine is still at least loosely connected with the topic of the thread, let me just say that I still would hardly consider why Roxas didn't ring a bell to Donald and Goofy a retcon since there exists a plausible explanation that has been elaborated on the first few posts.
That's why I said we didn't notice till BBS as until then it was valid. Why it's listed as mistranslation ever since is because, as Sephiroth points out often, the line "majesty" in japanese has no gender. So despite the english version the original japanese is correct.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
That's why I said we didn't notice till BBS as until then it was valid. Why it's listed as mistranslation ever since is because, as Sephiroth points out often, the line "majesty" in japanese has no gender. So despite the english version the original japanese is correct.

Except the Japanese words for His Majesty and Her Majesty (when used to address or refer to a king and queen) do differ from each other. King, or His Majesty, is 王様 Ō-sama (which was what Goofy said back then), while queen, or Her Majesty, is 女王様 Jo'ō-sama (literally, female king). It wasn't a mistranslation, and thus, there was a retcon even in the original Japanese version.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
So what if Goofy thought Mickey did it? It happened 11 years prior to KH 2 and Donald/Goofy weren't even there. They might have heard rumours or just assumed Mickey did it.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Nothing is wrong with that, and of course such a scenario is possible. I admit I might have gotten out of line by saying that it was retcon, but I just wanted to show that there wasn't any mistranslation regarding this line as opposed to what we previously believe.

However, since this is not a thread to talk about this matter and I believe I have made my point, I'm ready to drop it to make way for others who would like to continue their discussion on Donald and Goofy and their memories of Ventus.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Donald and Goofy only met Ventus for a few minutes at most and easily forgot about him in the 11 years that have passed.
Goofy was never there for the banishment of Pete, and more than likely they assumed that Mickey had banished him.
The end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back