• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Silent Sorrow (manga-ish drawing)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melonie

Click for larger view

This is a lot different than I usually do, I had a lot of fun with it. Please comment, thanks! :wub:

kairigirl

Bang!
Awards
Website
kemine.deviantart.com
Hm, cute. :] You'll pry get some people being all "it be anime! Shun!" but that's okay.

I think with the ears you could make it look like they're connected. Ears are usually more like a cone, not a 2D triangle stuck on top. The bangs are interesting, but I'm sure if that's realistically possible, but welcome to anime.

Add some more dynamic shading and then I think you'd be good. It's already cute, I like how it's in grayscale.

Rix

:)
Awards
I think it was really cute :D Keep up the good work!

Melonie

Dude, it's manga... it's supposed to look like that. Why don't you send that same link to Square Enix while you're at it?

I've drawn plenty of realistic faces, thank you. Sometimes I like I draw manga or anime. If you don't like manga or anime, don't look at it, my title was very specific as to what style I used.

You're clearly uneducated in the art department.

Subtly Inspiring
oh lol.
As an artist the only way to improve is to learn the frameworks of the human body. The best way to do this is to study human anatomy. Drawing manga and anime is detrimental to everyone. And before you go off saying it's a (shitty)style, I know this. I also know that developing a style comes AFTER you've learned all there is to know about human anatomy and proportioning.

go back to middle school and take a remedial art studies class.

also, I'd love to slap Nomura in the eye for creating a generation of artists who don't know a damned thing about art other than "LOL HUGE EYES AND ZIPPERS ARE COOL"

Last edited:

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
also, I'd love to slap Nomura in the eye for creating a generation of artists who don't know a damned thing about art other than "LOL HUGE EYES AND ZIPPERS ARE COOL"
This, **** YEAH.

Anyway uhhhhhh, I can't see the nose or mouth :C

Subtly Inspiring
because it's manga gosh you asshole.
people don't have mouths or noses in anime. only eyes.

Melonie

oh lol.
As an artist the only way to improve is to learn the frameworks of the human body. The best way to do this is to study human anatomy. Drawing manga and anime is detrimental to everyone. And before you go off saying it's a (shitty)style, I know this. I also know that developing a style comes AFTER you've learned all there is to know about human anatomy and proportioning.

I've been drawing for longer than you were even alive (assuming you're a teenager). Moreover, I've only recently started anime/ manga work, I've drawn realistically all my life and have studied anatomy throughout. I've also taken art classes in college.

Also, Nomura never made up this style, which again shows your lack of art knowledge. Manga was developed by the Japanese, predating World War II. It's an art "style", and just because you think it's crappy doesn't mean it really is, that is your "opinion". It takes an artist to see that work does not have to be drawn realistically to be art. Look at Picasso and Van Gogh. Both were excellent at drawing realistically, yet they deliberately created masterpieces that were just the opposite.

As I've previously mentioned, the high majority of my art I've created has been realistic, and I've been recognized for that. Two of my works were selected in one of my prior colleges for their art gallery. Most people didn't even get one work featured, but I had two. Both realistically drawn.

Drawing in a stylized manner, whether it be Mange, Anime, Cartoonish, Comicbook, what have you, does not deter from one's skill as an artist, even in the slightest manner. It takes knowledge and appreciation for art to realize this, unfortunately not everyone has this skill, and I'm sorry that you do not. I'm sure it sucks to be to close minded.

Subtly Inspiring
Haha.
Regardless, you've gone to college, and I'm going to assume you majored in fine arts considering your high and mighty attitude(which I myself am guilty of having. We don't mesh well) then I'm going to have to assume you're one of the average. Someone who studied hard and was able to pull of mediocre artwork for the sake of passing, and yeah, maybe you actually listened to your professors and learned about anatomy, learned that stylized artwork still has to contour to realism, if even in the slightest manner for it to be taken seriously, and you learned your art history.
It's a shame you can't actually apply that, since your artistic skill and merit don't go any farther than knowledge. For all you spent in college, for all the time you wasted learning tact, and for all the time you spent up late trying to finish a project, you have nothing to show for it other than what? Something hanging in a gallery for a college that doesn't cater to artists specifically.
Nomura has his own style that exaggerates the head and length of the body. This is obvious to anyone with eyes. His eyes are unrealistically proportioned, his males are effeminate to the point where you can barely tell genders apart, and all his modeled work can be overlayed onto each other because all his characters look the same.
And I know about the superflat art movement, which was spearheaded by Murakami that was influenced by manga and anime(whose modern incarnate was pioneered by Hayao Miyazaki in the eastern world) that was influenced by western cartoons after World War II. lol what?
For all the knowledge you assume you possess and the time you spent in college you can be outdone by a 15-year old who hasn't even taken a high school art class.
Art is subjective, yes, but without any form or tact it can only be called art by name and not by nature. Your work is the former.

Have fun.

Ryu

an obscene gesture

are you saying zippers are not cool? cause zippers are cool. the more the better.

Ashley

| P |
Website
ashley425.deviantart.com
Dude, it's manga... it's supposed to look like that. Why don't you send that same link to Square Enix while you're at it?

You're clearly uneducated in the art department.

I understand how you would want to be defensive on this, but this is an art forum. :\ When you post your art, expect all kinds of feedback and be able to take it in without lashing out.

Anyway, your anime style is cute, but I would recommend making the nose and mouth a little bit larger next time. Right now they look like dots. The eyes also seem to be unaligned D: I'd love to see this style of yours again with the following in mind. :]

kairigirl

Bang!
Awards
Website
kemine.deviantart.com
I understand how you would want to be defensive on this, but this is an art forum. :\ When you post your art, expect all kinds of feedback and be able to take it in without lashing out.

Anyway, your anime style is cute, but I would recommend making the nose and mouth a little bit larger next time. Right now they look like dots. The eyes also seem to be unaligned D: I'd love to see this style of yours again with the following in mind. :]

Tell that to Ray too. (You changed your name, Sparkle? The first time I saw your post, I thought Raito posted that..) I'm going to have to stand by Melonie on this one. People other than the artist need to stop lashing out. Melonie's standing her ground. If Melonie allowed herself to be pushed around by people, there's something wrong. She would have no guts to stand up for what she draws later in life. That gives no excuse to draw something bad, but you need guts to draw your own style. She knows her anatomy enough to just dabble in manga/anime style. I like how you, Ashley, told her what to do in terms of an anime style, and I do agree with you. I don't like it when people are like "do it my way! I rule! I know art! Art is realism!" Pah. Art is art. Nothing else.

The bashing on anime seriously needs to stop. I debated mentioning something about her own style before I looked at her dA. I am not at all going to say she is excellent at realism. Good grief, there's few I see who are like that, but she knows her knowledge on faces. whoopdedoo, a yahoo search page on faces. Of course that's offensive.

Haha.
Regardless, you've gone to college, and I'm going to assume you majored in fine arts considering your high and mighty attitude(which I myself am guilty of having. We don't mesh well) then I'm going to have to assume you're one of the average. Someone who studied hard and was able to pull of mediocre artwork for the sake of passing, and yeah, maybe you actually listened to your professors and learned about anatomy, learned that stylized artwork still has to contour to realism, if even in the slightest manner for it to be taken seriously, and you learned your art history.
It's a shame you can't actually apply that, since your artistic skill and merit don't go any farther than knowledge. For all you spent in college, for all the time you wasted learning tact, and for all the time you spent up late trying to finish a project, you have nothing to show for it other than what? Something hanging in a gallery for a college that doesn't cater to artists specifically.

....XD I'm not really sorry, I'll be laughing when you get there and never move. You have the skill, but not the attitude, to succeed. Can you EVER find ANYthing good in a piece? Artists do need to be thick skinned, I agree, but they need to have a sense of actually wanting to help others. Most often, I think that when people continue to bash others, they're jealous or scared that said other is better, thus putting themselves up.

Oddly, this is also known as bullying. Excellent. Bullies in FanArt. :/

Melonie: Don't retaliate. I have nothing else to say except prove them wrong.

Subtly Inspiring
Domon Kasshu and I were complete ****s to each other when we both started, if it weren't for the fact that the both of us were passionate about our work then we would have hated each other. But, fact remains, the two of us pointed out the flaws in each other's work and we highlighted each other's individual quirks that would make it difficult to do anything worthwhile. Truthfully, the two of us were more crass with each other than I've ever been to anyone else on this forum, and because of that the two of us have been able to help each other get so much better in a pretty short time span(bit under than a year, really)
I don't care if Melonie despises me for what I say, because it's feeling that motivates artwork. I want nothing more than for her to prove me wrong, even if I have to insult her to get her to do it. No artist has ever made anything they're proud of while they were happy, and that's just how it is.
And no, this isn't me justifying my actions. I'd rather she not know my intent, but whatever. If, in a couple months, she can prove me wrong and do something spectacular of her own volition, then by all means, call me out and I'll give her the praise she deserves. Until then I'll treat her as I would anyone else.
There is no progress without opposition.

kairigirl

Bang!
Awards
Website
kemine.deviantart.com
Domon Kasshu and I were complete ****s to each other when we both started, if it weren't for the fact that the both of us were passionate about our work then we would have hated each other. But, fact remains, the two of us pointed out the flaws in each other's work and we highlighted each other's individual quirks that would make it difficult to do anything worthwhile. Truthfully, the two of us were more crass with each other than I've ever been to anyone else on this forum, and because of that the two of us have been able to help each other get so much better in a pretty short time span(bit under than a year, really)
I don't care if Melonie despises me for what I say, because it's feeling that motivates artwork. I want nothing more than for her to prove me wrong, even if I have to insult her to get her to do it. No artist has ever made anything they're proud of while they were happy, and that's just how it is.
And no, this isn't me justifying my actions. I'd rather she not know my intent, but whatever. If, in a couple months, she can prove me wrong and do something spectacular of her own volition, then by all means, call me out and I'll give her the praise she deserves. Until then I'll treat her as I would anyone else.
There is no progress without opposition.

*coughs* I'm actually a naturally happy and optimistic person. If I'm miserable, upset, angry, anything basically the opposite of "happy", I can't do much. I shut down. If I try to draw, I'm way to critical and stop before it ever gets anywhere. When people get something that points out all the bad, and no good, they'll just stop because everyone else thinks it's awful. Why bother? I understand that they should improve, but why should they improve for YOU? Were I not pursuing an art major, I would tell you "go away" and continue drawing how I want.

Honestly, Sparkle? Every time you post on a piece of artwork, tell the artist one strength or good quality about the artwork. Even the worst have them just as the best have imperfections. Be as harsh as you want with your best buddies. Everyone else? tell them something good. They do this in art classes. Honest, I'll swear it. They want the artist to know their strengths so the strengths keep happening. They also want the artist to know their weaknesses so the weaknesses stop. Just try it, maybe you'll stop being lashed out at so often.

Last edited:

Vicodin

relative power
Kairigirl has a point, you know.
I don't remember ever a point in time that you commended someone, unless they were your friend or their work was better than yours. :/

But I do agree with Sparkle overall on everything else.

Just stop being a huge fking asshole to everyone. :/

Daniel Faraday

you fucking...FUCK
oh god huge walls of text.

So, uh, I'm gonna stand by what Ray said, but, uh, in a less anal way. If possible, could you post some of your non-manga work? Assuming you have any, of course.

btw Ray, when'd the name change happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back