• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Rep system adjustments

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

What should be done with the rep system?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
Yeah, I've got to go with Vandread on this one. It really has reached the point where reputation doesn't even mean anything anymore. It doesn't matter if you reset it, as the members will just work to build it up again and we'll be dealing with this same problem a year from now. It doesn't matter what you do to try and teach members a lesson. They aren't going to listen, and even if they do, they'll fall back into habit eventually.

Reputation really serves no point at all at this point. Reputation was only supposed to be used as a reward when one member thought that another member had made a success in some field. When long-time veterans and annoying and aggravating newbies suddenly have the same level of reputation, that's where you realize something has gone wrong. The reputation system is, simply put, abused. In the end, reputation means nothing and it never will mean anything. Personality and your overall content in your posts will determine if you are "popular", not the number of green boxes you have.

Remember that reputation is supposed to be a reward that should be passed around from time to time. As with all rewards, it should not be abused. That means not repping someone for saying, "I think that the plot of KH3 will bring Sora back!" with the reasoning of "What a good idea!" Honestly, I've been repped for stupider reasons.

rantrantrant some more

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Not sure if I saw the right website but no, not really. Karma was only ever given when worthy news about upcoming MK games would come out. So at this point, if we were using Karma, bittermeat would be the one with the highest karma. It was also given in an informative post or when a funny post was made but they received less Karma.

ChocobosComet

Blinky KITTY!
Website
usagi-cho.deviantart.com
.......it could be like the contributer system on another site I used to visit. The system gives out ratings judged on common approval by fellow members, it's anonymous so no one can start fights over who did what and encourages people to make smarter posts. It's post selective, you don't get anything, your post does. It's a rating system thumbs up, thumbs down, etc. No one person has more power than the other.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah but in MKI, only Admins and Mods could give out Karma.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
That would certainly be a lot simpler.

Guessing excluding newbs from rep is out of the question? I'm not saying it's their fault, but it would help limit the whoring slightly.

Duo_forbidden

Dance with the Dark Side
Meh. I could care less myself about the rep. I do think however, that we need something to distinguish oursleves besides the color in our names.

But can you really blame most of the members who rep just because someone had a good idea about kingdom hearts? Some of those ideas or theories are just plain retarted but, most of them come from 12-15 year olds (I think).

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
*is in part to blame for the higher age average of KH theorists* >_>
Moving on.

I don't think that's most of the issue here though. For starters, most of the peeps that rep like that over KH theories have little to no rep.
Second, I don't think that rep is that big an issue. Alright, we might find a theory retarded, but isn't that what rep is about? Giving it to the people you agree with and that you think did good in their post?
A retarded theory might not deserve rep in our eyes, but for those who yes agree with it - it's legit repping grounds.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
Do it. Reset the system and then disable it.

Only good post up to then. oh yeah and that long post moso made was good.

Personally I think that rep should just be destroyed. With this new 'generation', we can't get balance.

if that's out of the question, reset the values then change the system to how it was in 2006 or whatever, otherwise it'll be as worthless as the FI post clearing. There needs to be change otherwise it'll be more of the same

yes we can

Last edited:

Gatorade

Naturally, we called it Gatorade
I wouldn't be against the complete disable of rep, but I think we should reset it first and give us all one more chance. It's only fair.

WilliamTheWise

Oh right, I can change this....
Website
earltheandroid.tumblr.com
url

Mr. Resetti has spoken.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Question - while I realize the answer's probably a big fat 'no' -
Is it possible to disable rep in a certain section of the forums? Like how Post Count doesn't get boosted in Community and FI.
If people wanna abuse rep they can, but the notion they'll have to go look for posts to rep elsewhere outside say FCs might just make a lot of people rethink the action and realize they're too lazy for it.
And even if they find something to rep, they just might rep something rep-worthy so it's all good.

xx kairi xx

i too have a question based on what suffering angel just said - is it possible that you could just reset those with say, more than 3 rep bars that have gathered it over a short amount of time (for example 3 months) but allow those who have been here longer/those who have earnt their rep to keep theirs? that way you are only teaching the rep whores a lesson and not making those who have actually earnt it pay for thier mistakes....?

i also agree with SA's question

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I don't think that's fair. Who's to say who really got their rep fairly and who didn't based on time of joinage alone? If someone posted a really good theory/discussion note/etc and got repped by a lot of high-repped members, his rep would sky-rocket - over one post, over a short amount of time.
Plus, discriminating is never a good idea. Either everyone gets it wiped out, or no one does.

Last edited:

xx kairi xx

I don't think that's fair. Who's to say who really got their rep fairly and who didn't based on time of joinage alone? If someone posted a really good theory/discussion note/etc and got posted by a lot of high-repped members, his rep would sky-rocket - over one post, over a short amount of time.
Plus, discriminating is never a good idea. Either everyone gets it wiped out, or no one does.

oh yh, didnt think of that....
nm ignore wot i sed :E

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
This is ironic because it became a big deal when it got flooded in between September through November of 2008.

It wasn't a serious in the past, like ED said, it was nigh impossible to recieve and the frequency of being repped was rare, twice a day and for every twentieth time before you could rep the same person made it difficult to rep the same person, which wasn't up for argument because it was a working system. Stressing the boxes and the fact that you have rep is irrelevant and won't change your reputation and where your known around the forums independent of rep or not. It's nice to have, to be acknowledged, but do you really need it? If you've got a good rep it will speak for itself.

EDIT: Its not recommended you change your name and then people suddenly forget who you are lololol.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
That would be over-drastic, but we can change the rep system so that users aren't rewarded with rep points for post count, which would ease the problem a bit.

Question - while I realize the answer's probably a big fat 'no' -
Is it possible to disable rep in a certain section of the forums? Like how Post Count doesn't get boosted in Community and FI.
If people wanna abuse rep they can, but the notion they'll have to go look for posts to rep elsewhere outside say FCs might just make a lot of people rethink the action and realize they're too lazy for it.
And even if they find something to rep, they just might rep something rep-worthy so it's all good.

The rep system, to my knowledge, *cannot* be changed (literally), and hencely, it never has been changed.

Sure, Silh can change his and other member's rep power, reset it, disable it, but I believe that before he has stated that he cannot change anything regarding how the system itself works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back