• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Possibility of losing Dual Wield

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wander

Dual Wielding is the act of wielding two Keyblades simultaneously through use of the Synch Blade ability. Dual Wielding was first seen in the secret ending of Kingdom Hearts; Another Side, Another Story. It was first formally introduced to players in Kingdom Hearts 2. So far in the series, only two characters have shown the ability to Dual Wield, Roxas and Sora. Both can do so by summoning their own Keyblade (Sora's, in Roxas' case) as well as Ventus'.

With Dream Drop Distance we learn that all the lost hearts will be resurrected, and that they would gain their own hearts (And possibly for those without their own Keyblades, their own Keyblade). With this comes the question, if Ventus' heart were to return to him, making Sora and Roxas unable to summon his Keyblade, will the ability to Dual Wield be lost?

For Sora, this might not be a huge deal, he was only seen utilizing Synch Blade in KH2 under certain Drive Forms. But for Roxas, Dual Wielding is arguably his most defining trait, with almost all of his most iconic moments showing him Dual Wielding. Dual Wielding has been attributed to him similarly to how backhanded Keyblade wielding has been attributed to Ventus, and it would just be a shame to lose such an iconic trait.

What do you think will happen to Dual Wielding in the next game? Do you think the ability would simply be lost, or do you think they will find some way to bring it back? If so how do you think they will do it?

Last edited:

Light

faster than
Awards
If they think it is more than simply a gimmick they will keep it. Sora had the potential to quadruple-wield through KH2. Hell, they may have Xion come back only to lay her life on the line for Roxas, who will then absorb a fragment of her heart in order to Synch Blade again (not likely, imagine the fans)

axel95

Awards
not likely, imagine the fans
"OMG NOMURA!!!!!!! WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU MAKE CHARACTER THAT WE HATE FOR NOT HAVING ANY IMPACT ON THE SERIES SUDDENLY IMPACT THE SERIES IN A HUGE WAY TRYING TO MAKE US FANS HAPPY?????? WHY DO YOU TRY TO MAKE US HAPPY!!!!!!! I'M NEVER PLAYING THIS SERIES AGAIN!!!!!!"
Or something like that....

Gram

Banned
Awards
Since it was basically just a gimmick for sora in kh2 i do see him losing it and since we're all used to his one bladed style that shouldn't be a problem.
For Roxas though it'd be a bit weird to see him without duel wielding. I can see nomura making up something like "Due to his strong connection to Sora and Ventus..." kinda line for an excuse to keep his duel wielding.

Kinda hope he ditches it though and gets a Keyblade of his own to symbolize him being truly his own person. Since his body+soul and keyblades were pretty much 'borrowed goods' it'd kinda only be fitting for him to get his own single keyblade.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Dual wielding has pretty much been rendered moot with the probability of characters coming back in KH3. It was a neat concept but to continue with the lore that has been set in place (unless there's fun retconning which is possible) then there will be no way to continue having it used.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Kinda hope he ditches it though and gets a Keyblade of his own to symbolize him being truly his own person. Since his body+soul and keyblades were pretty much 'borrowed goods' it'd kinda only be fitting for him to get his own single keyblade.

This. And there is actually a very easy solution to have Roxas still dual-wield without needing a second heart of an unfortunate being stuffed into him just so he can still do it.

Since Roxas has his own heart he could also be choosen by his own Keyblade. Now look at what Cloud's Fusion Swords in Advent Children or later can do or the pretty big Keyblade Sora and Riku use in the Reality shift of The World that Never was.

If Roxas' own Keyblade gets the ability to split into two Blades (bonus points if those can be transformed to look like Oathkeeper and Oblivion) he can kick ass with "dual-wielding" without actually using two Keyblades.
This would be a solution that does not muck up the concept and lore already set in place and requires no retcon or whatever.

WaveK89

If Roxas and Xion were to come back, I could see some new keyblades in hand. Perhaps, Roxas could receive one similar to the Oathkeeper design and Xion one similar to the Oblivion. I only say this because of the connection we see with Xion and the Oblivion. The other way around would be cooler, but then I'm just playing on gender roles...

Though I do like your split ability Sephiroth.

Sorarocks93

Awards
This. And there is actually a very easy solution to have Roxas still dual-wield without needing a second heart of an unfortunate being stuffed into him just so he can still do it.

Since Roxas has his own heart he could also be choosen by his own Keyblade. Now look at what Cloud's Fusion Swords in Advent Children or later can do or the pretty big Keyblade Sora and Riku use in the Reality shift of The World that Never was.

If Roxas' own Keyblade gets the ability to split into two Blades (bonus points if those can be transformed to look like Oathkeeper and Oblivion) he can kick ass with "dual-wielding" without actually using two Keyblades.
This would be a solution that does not muck up the concept and lore already set in place and requires no retcon or whatever.

Something like this?

http://franciscomartin.deviantart.com/art/Keyblades-Yin-Yang-Fusion-169358290

It's white and black so it fits Roxas.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Yeah, something alongside that. About the design that can be up to debate, but the mechanic is along the thing I had in mind.
It would also not be a new concept since the reality shift of TWTNW already featured such a type of weapon.

It would also hold the additional advantage that Roxas could freely change on the whim between single and dual-wield, just as the situation requires.

Wander

Most likely, if people are going to be resurrected, they'll get their own Keyblades. The scene where Lea summoned a Keyblade out of nowhere erased all my doubts on this. My guess is that Two Across/Two Become One will be Roxas' Keyblade's base form, but it's up to the imagination for now.

I actually really like the concept of fusion Keyblades, it'd be unique and would just ooze style. It's not even farfetched, I mean, if Terra's Keyblade can turn into a cannon...
That said, I'll hold on to the small part of my heart that just wishes it can wield this and this simultaneously. :c

Zul

Awards
Roxas does dual wield in the CG opening of KH3D(very hard to catch it with your eyes).

It's possible, because of his unique situation, he can dual wield without needing two hearts.

Monkey D. Rocky

Most likely, if people are going to be resurrected, they'll get their own Keyblades. The scene where Lea summoned a Keyblade out of nowhere erased all my doubts on this. My guess is that Two Across/Two Become One will be Roxas' Keyblade's base form, but it's up to the imagination for now.

I actually really like the concept of fusion Keyblades, it'd be unique and would just ooze style. It's not even farfetched, I mean, if Terra's Keyblade can turn into a cannon...
That said, I'll hold on to the small part of my heart that just wishes it can wield this and this simultaneously. :c
That is a very good theory that Two Become One might become Roxas's Keyblade. That would be awesome. I do feel that every character should have their own unique Keyblade, not just Kingdom Key clones.

Gram

Banned
Awards

Very interesting concept. I'd actually like to see this due to the uniqueness of roxas' birth he'd be very likely (and we know he will) have a keyblade of his own.

Especially if its something like this:
Something like this?

http://franciscomartin.deviantart.co...sion-169358290

It's white and black so it fits Roxas.
But more like oblivion & oathkeeper in design.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Roxas does dual wield in the CG opening of KH3D(very hard to catch it with your eyes).

It's possible, because of his unique situation, he can dual wield without needing two hearts.

Yep, the dual wielding has become something of Roxas' trademark in the series and I would actually welcome if they make it unique only to him just like the backhand-wielding is unique for Ventus.
It is one thing for Sora to be the main protagonist, but him getting/stealing every gimmick and ability the other characters have gets boring and takes away from the uniqueness of the other characters. That's also why I don't want Sora (and by extension Riku) to get Keyblade Gliders and/or Armor, that's TAVs métier.

Very interesting concept. I'd actually like to see this due to the uniqueness of roxas' birth he'd be very likely (and we know he will) have a keyblade of his own.

Especially if its something like this:

But more like oblivion & oathkeeper in design.

Going by the fact that I never liked how KH 2 handled his fate, I thinking since the beginning that he was more of his own entity than just a carbon copy of Sora and the perspectives laid out by Blank Points I thought of this concept quite a while ago.

Dream Drop Distance confirmed (at least to me) only things regarding the special Nobodies I already suspected since KH 2, so this just gave my own suspicions more fodder to work with.
The main reason I thought about having a divisible Keyblade was in order to not create conflict with the established lore and I honestly found it pretty appalling that there were actually fans out there suggesting that a heart should remain trapped (either in Roxas or in Sora) just to allow them to continue dual-wielding.

Gram

Banned
Awards
The main reason I thought about having a divisible Keyblade was in order to not create conflict with the established lore and I honestly found it pretty appalling that there were actually fans out there suggesting that a heart should remain trapped (either in Roxas or in Sora) just to allow them to continue dual-wielding.
It is a great solution, one I would love to see implemented, but I wonder if Nomura would have it in him to make it so simple.
That is rather appalling would defeat the whole purpose of all this build up for saving everyone.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It is a great solution, one I would love to see implemented, but I wonder if Nomura would have it in him to make it so simple.
That is rather appalling would defeat the whole purpose of all this build up for saving everyone.

Thanks, and yep, I feel it would create the fewest actual problems with the dual-wield concept if at all.
Oh gosh, thanks for reminding me. Nomura isn't exactly known going for easy solutions even with minor plot points.
I can see him spewing some stuff about that due to Roxas' origin and still super-close connections with Sora they can both wield each others Keyblades simultaneously.
Heck, I can even see him going to allow Ventus to take a leaf out of Zidane's book and dual backhand-wield both his and Sora's Keyblade cuz total close heart connection since birth and yadda yadda...and that's surely not the most complicated solution out there.

Indeed, but I have seen this in various styles also by people who just don't want a character to return because they don't like him/her.
Fact is, as DDD showed pretty graphically, that having all these suffering inside him is in the long run detrimental for Sora's health and as Ansem the Wise pointed out, Sora wants to help them.

It wasn't shown live, but Sora's statements and the way he acted towards Roxas in DDD do indicate that after learning about that he had a Nobody Sora thought quite a time about the issue and the parallels about how he acted towards the Riku Replica in CoM before defeating Marluxia are astoundingly similar.

Wander

Not to mention it would make an interesting gameplay element if we were to have the ability to take control as characters other than Sora.

Speaking of that, do you guys think we'll get to play as the other Keyblade wielders aside from Sora and Riku? Do you even want to play as the others?
Playing as different characters was a huge draw in Birth By Sleep for me, and it was even executed very well in that game. Ehem, not to derail too much from the thread of course.

keybladeofhonor

It's true Sora had two hearts when he dual wielded,but Roxas only has one heart in Days,and he uses dual wield.It's also possible that if anything were to happen to Xion,he could use her keyblade as a second one.

Sorarocks93

Awards
It's true Sora had two hearts when he dual wielded,but Roxas only has one heart in Days,and he uses dual wield.It's also possible that if anything were to happen to Xion,he could use her keyblade as a second one.

This actually makes me wonder something.

In Days Roxas had both his Heart and Ventus's (Since his heart went to Roxas after being split from Sora).

I also assumed that Xion had developed her own heart during Days or am I wrong? But if that's true then why did she take half of Roxa's power when he could just weild Ventus's Keyblade instead of his own and Xion could weild his?

Also at the end why could Roxas weild only two Keyblades when he actually had three Hearts inside him? (Assuming Xion had developed her own Heart)

keybladeofhonor

Roxas and Xion were Nobodies,so they shouldnt have had keyblades period.Roxas had Ventus's heart,which let him use a keyblade.Xion was able to use it because she was a copy of Roxas,something noted by Riku when he called her keyblade a sham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back