• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Oh Texas...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonbilly

an old man plaguing the site like a phantom
Awards
And this is why I wish I didn't live in Texas.

Lonbilly

an old man plaguing the site like a phantom
Awards
So is the textbook change going to be for all grades though, or for certain ones? I don't think it was mentioned.

At least that guy won't be able to have anymore say after this year. Kind of wish they neevr listened to him in the first place.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
I'm so happy I graduated grade school. Looks like Texas still doesn't understand the term "separation between church and state".

Actually, I do believe because Jefferson said that that they want to get rid of him in the books. of course, I heard that part from Colbert so I don't know how legit it is.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Doesn't matter if you live in Texas. Texas is the number one market for textbooks and education in the nation. If Texas rejects a publisher, that publisher will edit their textbooks so that they can sell to the Texan market again. All your textbooks would be affected.

Already discussed this topic at GAF, though.

Actually, I do believe because Jefferson said that that they want to get rid of him in the books. of course, I heard that part from Colbert so I don't know how legit it is.

The reason they wanted to replace Jefferson for another figure in the textbook is because they were talking about a group of people in early America that Jefferson really didn't relate to as well as the other person. Can't remember, it was about a week ago that I heard about this, so...it's not because they want to remove Jefferson from the text, but rather remove him from that section in that topic of discussion of history.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
So basically they oppose the imposing of "liberal bias" in textbooks by imposing their own bias?
Is it right for me to say: "Pot, meet the kettle" Or did I get this thing wrong?

A

Azrael

According to you, Ulti.

I think all bias should be removed from history textbooks. It's supposed to be looked at from a neutral stand-point.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
According to you, Ulti.

I think all bias should be removed from history textbooks. It's supposed to be looked at from a neutral stand-point.

Ah yes, but where are you going to find a neutral editor? Everyone has an opinion and thus, is biased.

A

Azrael

Ah yes, but where are you going to find a neutral editor? Everyone has an opinion and thus, is biased.

Maybe get actual historians to write textbooks instead of having textbooks copy off one another and make America into some god-blessed holier than thou myth. Both liberals and conservatives are bad in this.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Maybe get actual historians to write textbooks instead of having textbooks copy off one another and make America into some god-blessed holier than thou myth. Both liberals and conservatives are bad in this.

Thing is, if you want someone that's really neutral to do it, you're best bet is a foreign historian that studied american history. And can you honestly tell me that there won't be asshats who object to their kids being taught their own history by a book of foreign origin and doing something shitty like this again?

A

Azrael

Thing is, if you want someone that's really neutral to do it, you're best bet is a foreign historian that studied american history. And can you honestly tell me that there won't be asshats who object to their kids being taught their own history by a book of foreign origin and doing something shitty like this again?

Because Americans are dumb fucks for the most part. s1naruto

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Well the textbook at my local school district (richest and largest in Texas) is the same textbook I used in my private, homeschool course curriculum that numerous schools in states all over the country use, and I don't recall it ever approaching any historical topics with bias or controversy. It mentioned the history of Israel, etc. quite factually and didn't touch the stuff that was unclear or had a lot of debate over. Thomas Jefferson was in it too. Lol.

SilverJ-17

spams bombs, not posts
Awards
I'm sure glad I've already graduated before the textbooks got screwed up this bad. (not that they're in force yet) Also, aren't we supposed to be trying to catch up to the various EU and Asian countries who are beating us in Education, not getting more idiotic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back