• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

My opinion on this game has changed

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacred X

Freshmeat
I'm glad to see changes like this. I just knew 358/2 Days was going to have a similar effect as Re: Chain of Memories did. At first, people were going wild about the voice actors in CoM, but turned out it wasn't bad at all. I also realized people were extremely quick to bash on Days from only watching translated cutscenes and a couple of gameplay vids (if even that much). It all comes down to waiting until you play the game.

Look at CoM. Most people I know went right from KH1 to KH2 because they thought CoM sucked as a whole. Most KHI members would vastly disagree with CoM being bad, especially not story wise.

I knew from the start Days wouldn't be bad, but I didn't expect it to exceed my expectations this much.

madammina

Notorious White Mage Captainess
I'm glad to see changes like this. I just knew 358/2 Days was going to have a similar effect as Re: Chain of Memories did. At first, people were going wild about the voice actors in CoM, but turned out it wasn't bad at all. I also realized people were extremely quick to bash on Days from only watching translated cutscenes and a couple of gameplay vids (if even that much). It all comes down to waiting until you play the game.

Look at CoM. Most people I know went right from KH1 to KH2 because they thought CoM sucked as a whole. Most KHI members would vastly disagree with CoM being bad, especially not story wise.

I knew from the start Days wouldn't be bad, but I didn't expect it to exceed my expectations this much.

EXACTLY me.

I always wanted to wait. Trailers are fun... but they can also decide to play up or down aspects of the game. (and the panel system is intuitive when you use it... but DESCRIBING it? it sounds horrible and awkward)

Igshar

?The Jack of all Trades?
Awards
All of the games are button mashers. Even CoM.

But lumping Days in with CoM and then setting it apart from KH1/KH2 is ludicrous.

lol okay. KH1 and 2 you never need to worry about anything other than pressing X and the occasional jump and glide to get through the game, even on Proud Mode, unless you face off against the secret bosses. CoM, you need to micromanage your deck to keep on top of your opponents to beat them up most efficiently. It's exactly the same in Days, albeit with a completely different system.

In KH1 and 2, abilities are hardly necessary; all they do is add to your power and your button-mashing proficiency. Days and CoM require a head on your shoulders to take out the enemies. KH2 and, to a very slightly lesser extent KH1 don't really require that much thinking outside of secret/optional boss fights. I don't remember ever dying in KH1 or 2 except in some of the more ridiculous boss battles the first time through (Xaldin comes to mind).

Days, while it has very similar gameplay to KH1 and 2, by no means adopts even remotely similar strategies. Block/Guard is NEVER necessary in KH1/2 (outside of select secret/optional bosses). Magic is even less necessary than Guard... In fact, it's completely useless in most cases, due to most of the more difficult bosses being completely immune to spells. There are no status effects in KH1/2 to take advantage of as there are in Days. In Days you block, dodge, and counterattack effectively or you get crushed, even by normal enemies. KH1/2 NEVER had difficult normal Heartless/Nobodies, no matter what you want to claim. None of them ever require a more advanced strategy than "Blow through them with your combos as quickly as possible." If they ever did require more than that, it was in the form of a Reaction Command which resulted in a OHKO. This held true even on Proud Mode, sadly. :\ Don't bring Final Mix into it, since we never got them over here. >_>

CoM has more in common with KH1/2 battle strategy than does Days in terms of normal enemies.

Awards
^ I think it depends on how you use the cards and leveling system in CoM. If you get enough card points and you have a bunch of powerful cards, then it definitely becomes a button-mashing game, especially with the Heartless. Use up your deck, call the cards back to you, use up the deck, lather, rinse, repeat. It gets trickier when you start using sleights and the harder bosses start using sleights on you.

I could say KH2 wasn't a button masher based on how you could relocate shortcuts to triangle, circle, square, or x, how you use reaction commands, how you sometimes use square for combos and certain abilties, and how you cycle through the HUD for magic/limits/items.

But that's not accurate at all. If a game offers something beyond button mashing, that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't considered a button masher.

In Re:CoM I can cycle through the cards, I can add sleights with triangle, and then I can... well... attack with x. Oh, and dodge roll/glide.

The primary means of attacking in the series consists of successive combos created by, you guessed it, hitting the same button, ie button mashing.

Yes, you're going to time your attacks differently than you do in any of the other KH games. My point still stands.
Note here that I'm not talking about the negative connotations of a "button masher." I'm just saying that, yes, all KH games fall under that category.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
How can GBA Chain of Memories possibly be your favorite game of the series? I'm shocked.

As people said, strategy.
But not just that, the soundtrack, absolutely creepy plot, the initial feeling of fear of the Organization (You don't really fear them in KH2. In CoM, they seem like a real, dangerous threat to Sora and his friends.), the recurring, scary theme of memories, being able to play as Riku for the first time, and just a lot of intimacy between Sora and other characters' and their relationships. It really hit home, with me. I didn't even like Re:CoM as much as the original GBA one, because I just felt the GBA one was that much creepier and personal without voice acting for some odd reason. Still love it, though.

Ashes Remnant

It's All Crazy! It's All False!
I <3 Days. I didn't think I would, but it's the first DS game that's hooked.

The lvl up panals are a pain in the ass tho.

BluesStar21

Now now I won't sink that low, it's not Game of the Year or anything IMO.
But it's the best of a "good" franchise, IMO.
In that sense it's "amazing" how wrong I was about how this "side-quest" of a game would be.
it gets better at the end of hte game :) just wait and see.

Remember when Nomura said that BBS and this game were connected, he wasn't lieing, and you'll see why at the end.

Awards
lol okay. KH1 and 2 you never need to worry about anything other than pressing X and the occasional jump and glide to get through the game, even on Proud Mode, unless you face off against the secret bosses.

And where was it exactly that I was referring to difficulty?
Oh, wait, I was talking about gameplay style.
You'd have to be balls-to-the-wall retarded to consider Days more like CoM in terms of gameplay than KH1/KH2.

But, hey, for argument's sake, let's bring difficulty to the table.

CoM, you need to micromanage your deck to keep on top of your opponents to beat them up most efficiently.

Which is not the actual combat, as I've said.
Differentiate here between setting up and actually using the attacks.

Days and CoM require a head on your shoulders to take out the enemies. KH2 and, to a very slightly lesser extent KH1 don't really require that much thinking outside of secret/optional boss fights.
No, Days falls somewhere between KH1 and KH2 in terms of difficulty.

You progressively move toward a more KH2-esque difficulty during the coarse of the game (save several bosses here and there) where enemies hurt you less and you hurt enemies more.

As for the actual strategies, they're no different. You're still block/dodge oriented in Days.

I don't remember ever dying in KH1
lolk, congrats with that.

Days, while it has very similar gameplay to KH1 and 2,
So you admitted this and chose to argue anyway.

Block/Guard is NEVER necessary in KH1/2 (outside of select secret/optional bosses).
Ok. So if you weren't blocking/guarding in KH1, what were you doing? Getting hit constantly? Or, gee, I don't know, maybe perhaps avoiding the attacks? Because, you know, that's a pretty big part of Days.

As for KH2, see my second to last response.

Magic is even less necessary than Guard... In fact, it's completely useless in most cases, due to most of the more difficult bosses being completely immune to spells.
Magic isn't necessary in any of the games.
I hardly used any in Days. Others may very well have. Your point?

There are no status effects in KH1/2 to take advantage of as there are in Days.
This is stupid. Pointing out one minute detail as if it makes the systems completely different.

KH2 has reaction commands. Does that make it a different system than KH1?

"Blow through them with your combos as quickly as possible."
It's funny, because that's a strategy I implemented often in Days.

95% of the enemies in Days, like they were in KH1/KH2, fall into a basic pattern when you attack them. If you can manage to get in a finishing move, it prevents them from attacking. Continue to combo them as quick as possible, and they don't attack at all. That's why I chose gears with quick, short combos. Because I could wail on the majority of enemies without them every fighting back (except, of course, bosses, where it is a matter of recognizing their attack patterns and comboing between them).

Don't bring Final Mix into it, since we never got them over here. >_>
No, I think I will.
Because it should be noted when merely taking more damage makes the game suddenly that much more difficult.

Look at KH2FM. People were struggling with Critical Mode. They didn't tweak the AI, they just adjusted damage.

If that's all it takes, then we can see how the systems for KH1/KH2/Days are, at their core, extremely similar. Something as small as hit point adjustment can entirely change the difficulty of a game. So, it's really pointless that you argue that Days has an entirely different system than KH1/KH2 when the only thing that supposedly sets them apart, difficulty, is so negligible. Put it this way: even though people say KH2 is easier than KH1, does KH2 have a different system than KH1?

In fact, we see this in play with Days, as I've said. As the hit points decrease later in the game, it gets overall easier.

That does not change the battle system nor the strategies you can implement, which are much, much more similar to KH1/KH2 than they are to CoM considering that CoM had an entirely different battle system.

CoM has more in common with KH1/2 battle strategy than does Days in terms of normal enemies.
No.

Karutomaru

Banned
Chain of Memories is MY favorite too. Not just because of it's card system, but also it's story, simple linearity, and Vexen. I love it's Vexen.

Kae3617

I do very much love this game, I was happy to go back to running around and beating things up like in KH1&2. The story is great, revealing just enough at a time to keep you hooked. I only have one complaint, and that is that the long intense boss battles (I'm talking about you, bosses with a gazillion health bars) really hurt my D-pad thumb. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the challenge that these bosses present and I feel proud when the things are finally dead but owie.

UnstoppableSound

I do very much love this game, I was happy to go back to running around and beating things up like in KH1&2. The story is great, revealing just enough at a time to keep you hooked. I only have one complaint, and that is that the long intense boss battles (I'm talking about you, bosses with a gazillion health bars) really hurt my D-pad thumb. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the challenge that these bosses present and I feel proud when the things are finally dead but owie.

Have you tried the Mission Mode versions of them yet? Because if not....prepare for the worst.

madammina

Notorious White Mage Captainess
Lexaeus took down darkside in three hits!

And another one fairly quickly too... but he has trouble on the air bosses (for obvious reasons)

Sacred X

Freshmeat
Have you tried the Mission Mode versions of them yet? Because if not....prepare for the worst.

Mission Mode solo is pretty much for only after you've beaten the game, as it will usually be too hard otherwise, or at least, early in the game. I haven't even touched Mission Mode until I beat the game, and aside from some boss heartless, I can pass through them fairly quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back