• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Love is a Funny Thing

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kairi6795

Yeah.....*grabs tissues* and also because.......IT IS THE END - almost :cry:

I don't want them to diiiiiie!! Anyway, True, you should keep going! =) Or....make another fanfic! YEAH!!! :)

True Serenity

your forgotten memory
Um..those two fics are kinda dead. I really don't plan on updating them at all. I wrote them so long ago that I can't even remember which direction I was gonna take with them. So I think I'll just close those threads for now....

As for a new fic after this one, its possible. But not in the near future. As of now, I am swarmed with reality...work, college applications, SAT's, my senior year! So there might be a new fic, but probably sometime after Christmas, once most of those things are out of the way.

But remember, after the last chapter there will be an epilogue! And maybe I'll write alternate endings too...maybe. :rolleyes:

So anyways, I need to get back to writing the last chapter! And don't worry. I've got no writer's block and not much else to worry about right now. So it shouldn't take me two months to finish it. I promise that. :thumbup:

Livi

does the astro.
Awards
www.freewebs.com
phew i'm finally back from vacation! that chappie was SO good! yet SO SAD! :( NOT THE LAST CHAPPIE!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Xiao

serious at least all of the time
Awards
ahhh no!

well I started from page one yesterday and I just read the last chapter...

Gahhhh I can't believe I have to actually wait for a chapter XD.

Awesome fic. I'm a huge fan.

True Serenity

your forgotten memory
Good news everyone...

I HAVE FINISHED THE LAST CHAPTER!!!!

I just need ONE more day to do some last minute editing. So basically, I'll have it up tomorrow! Woohoo! :lol:

Gamergirl

Silver Member
Good news everyone...

I HAVE FINISHED THE LAST CHAPTER!!!!

I just need ONE more day to do some last minute editing. So basically, I'll have it up tomorrow! Woohoo! :lol:

thanks goodness
this story's the only reason i come by this section of the forums anymore
but it sucks that ur ending it . . .coughcoughmakeasequelcoughcough
anywayz pm me when u get the last chapie up

True Serenity

your forgotten memory
Well here it is. I hope you guys enjoy it. Just...uh...remember to keep your tissue box nearby. :unsure:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 25 – Love is a Funny Thing

A bright light glistened softly through my eyelids, causing me to stir the slightest bit. I moaned uncomfortably at the light and squinted so I could block it out. At first, I didn’t realize where I was or what was going on. But then it hit me – so fast that I literally jumped in my spot and gasped frightfully. Sitting up quickly, I shot my eyes wide open and tried to regain myself.

I gazed around nervously, hoping to see Sora and Riku nearby. But I wasn’t in Akira’s room anymore. Somehow I was in a pastel colored room with floral prints on the wallpaper and I was sitting in a white, cloth bed. I was wearing nothing but a long, blue shirt that came down to my knees and a white, paper bracelet on my wrist.

That’s when I realized that I wasn’t in pain anymore and I didn’t feel dizzy. In fact, I felt pretty damn good. Plus, my huge belly was gone and was now completely flat again. I sighed with relief once I realized all this, but my happiness only lasted a few seconds. Before I knew it, questions began to flood my head. Where the heck was I? And how did I get here? And…where was my baby?!

I quickly jumped out of the bed and ran over to the only door in the room. Yanking it open, I immediately saw two little black and white creatures hovering over something. They jumped around in shock at my entrance and smiled once they realized it was me.

“Kairi!!!” they both shouted in unison.

Queen Minnie and King Mickey ran towards me and jumped right into my arms, almost knocking me over. I knelt down to hug them back and opened my mouth to say something. But as I hugged them, I peered over their tiny, little shoulders and saw what they were staring at.

It was a pink, frilly crib. And it was rocking back and forth.

I slowly stood up from the ground and silently took a step forward. The King and Queen didn’t say anything to me, obviously giving me a moment to adjust. I hesitantly began to walk towards the crib, my heart racing a mile a second. And once I got close enough to see what was inside, I dropped to my knees and bawled my eyes out.

It was my baby, a baby girl, dressed in pink, fuzzy pajamas and a pink hat. I slowly looked up at her, my vision blurred from tears. But I could still see her face – that beautiful face. Carefully standing up, I bent over the crib and reached down to pick up my daughter.

As I held my baby tightly, I just stared at her, my whole being in a state of shock. Through my water filled eyes, not to mention my overwhelmed mind, I could clearly see my child curiously staring back at me.

“Hi…” I whispered. “Hi there…”

It was all I could manage to say at that moment, but that was all she needed. The instant I spoke to my daughter, she smiled softly and let out the cutest giggle.

I smiled back and held her closely, rocking back and forth. “Well, aren’t you the cutest little thing?” I whispered playfully, making her giggle again.

“Kairi,” King Mickey spoke out from behind me. I had almost forgotten that he and the Queen were there. “How are you feeling?”

“I feel pretty good,” I said surely, still rocking my baby in my arms. “But where are we? And how did I get here?”

King Mickey sighed and turned away shamefully, as if there was something he didn’t want to say. “We’re at Disney Castle, in the infirmary. But how you got here…well…maybe we should discuss that privately.”

I nodded hesitantly, suddenly getting an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. Even though I had no idea what was going on, I prayed to God that it wasn’t going to be serious.

Staring at my daughter once more, I kissed her softly on the head before setting her back into the crib. That’s when I noticed her bright green eyes. They gazed back at me curiously, hitting me with the most frightening reality I’ve ever experienced. Her eyes were exactly like Riku’s, giving me the feeling that I wasn’t going to like what Mickey had to tell me.

I quickly turned away, following King Mickey through an open door in the corner. It led into a small office, where Mickey took a seat behind an enormously tall chair. “Kairi,” he began slowly. “Tell me the last thing you remember, before you awoke in the infirmary.”

“Well…” I started, drifting off into my thoughts. “I was in Akira’s lab and I was very close to giving birth. But Sora, Riku, and Akira were fighting. All the images I remember are very blurry. I was losing my energy and the room was filled with this strange aura…”

“What kind of aura?” Mickey asked, cutting me off. He leaned closer towards me as if it would make him understand me better.

“Well, it was a mix of darkness and light. I suppose it was twilight but I…”

“Twilight?!” he quickly shouted, jumping up in his seat. I wasn’t sure how to respond so I just froze, hoping he would explain his sudden burst of surprise. But he didn’t say anything. He didn’t say anything for a good two minutes.

“So that’s how it happened…” he finally whispered, slowly sitting back down.

“How what happened?!” I questioned, raising my voice slightly. “Can you please tell me what is going on? How did I suddenly get here from Akira’s room? How did I give birth when I wasn’t even aware of it? And where in the hell are Sora, Riku, and Akira?”

King Mickey gradually sunk in his chair, obviously shocked by my outburst. I thought he might walk out of the room and leave me alone, but instead, he quickly sat forward and cleared his throat for an explanation I would soon regret.

“Kairi, let me explain something first. After Sora and I left you here in the castle, we desperately tried to find the man who was after you. Sora was so determined that he vowed to protect you…no matter what.”

The King jumped out of his chair and sighed, pacing back and forth. “Over the next few months following that, we found out about Akira and everything he had done to get to you. I’m not sure if you know this, but he took many innocent lives just to find you. He showed no mercy to anyone – even small children and regular citizens.”

I remembered Sora and Riku saying that when I saw them at Akira’s. I didn’t believe them then but I guess I should have. How could I be so stupid?...

“Anyway,” King Mickey continued. “Shortly after that, we ran into Riku. I thought that Sora would start a fight because of their last confrontation, but I was surprised at their actions. They actually hugged and apologized for everything. And they swore to help you…no matter what it would take.

“So over time they became much stronger, learning new abilities each day. One of their new abilities was extremely powerful, especially against the strongest wielder of darkness, a.k.a, Akira. Unfortunately…” he paused, taking a deep breath. “In order to fully use this ability, it would have to take the lives of anyone who was nearby, including the users.”

I felt my whole entire heart drop at that moment. “What…what are you…saying?” I stammered.

“You said you saw a strange aura when Riku and Sora were fighting Akira, right? It was like twilight?” he asked, completely ignoring my question.

I nodded slowly, wiping away a tear that was brimming my eye. “Yea. They created this strange aura around them first, almost like a bubble. But then it just…exploded. And then the explosion blew everything else up around them. I remember the explosion coming right towards me.”

Mickey nodded as he climbed back up into his chair. “That was their new ability, Kairi…”

“No…” I whispered, shaking my head disapprovingly.

“I’m sorry…”

“NO!” I screamed angrily, still not fully understanding. “That can’t be right! If what you’re telling me is true, then wouldn’t I be gone too?! That explosion was huge! Why didn’t it kill me too?!”

At this point, tears just continued to pour out of me. I felt my mind race over countless ways that this could be wrong. And I had this terrible feeling of emptiness in the depths of my heart, almost as if someone ripped a whole right through it.

“Because of the light, Kairi. Don’t you remember the dosage of light Akira gave you? It provided you and your baby with a sort of protective shield and gave you enough strength to survive.”

I leaned over my knees and cried helplessly into the palms of my hands. My mind wasn’t thinking straight and I still couldn’t grasp what Mickey was telling me. It just didn’t seem real. How could Sora and Riku be…dead?

After a good while of sobbing, I tried to calm down a bit. There was still one more question I had. Sitting up slowly, I wiped away my tears and stared at the tiny mouse, his eyes filled with grief as well. “So how did I…give birth while unconscious?” I managed to say through a breaking voice.

“After the explosion, I arrived to see what had happened and…”

“Wait,” I interrupted. “Why weren’t you with them in the first place? You could have done something to help them or stop Akira from…”

“Sora and Riku asked me to stay behind,” King Mickey explained. “They said that this was something they needed to do on their own – for their sakes and for yours.”

I nodded slowly and remained silent, waiting for him to continue. “Anyway, when I arrived…it was too late. All three of them – Sora, Riku, and Akira – were gone. Their bodies were…”

“No,” I shouted. “I’d rather not hear that part….” I tried so hard to fight back the tears but I once again had no control.

“Well, anyway,” The King went on. “I wasn’t sure of what happened to you, but then I heard you screaming in pain. I ran over to you and saw you, Kairi. You were very much alive. And very much awake.”

“But I don’t remember any of that,” I stated, shaking my head in confusion.

“I know, but remember what I said before? The light you gave yourself supplied your body with enough strength and energy to have your baby. The explosion only affected your mind, causing you to forget what happened afterwards.”

“So…you helped me give birth?” I asked, feeling awkward at the thought of that.

“Oh no, not me,” The King corrected with a laugh. “I made sure to bring one of our doctors incase this happened. She helped you out.”

“Oh…” I whispered inaudibly. “So after that, what happened?”

“You passed out and stayed asleep for almost two weeks. Queen Minnie and I were starting to worry, but we decided to take care of you and your baby.”

I let out a small laugh and tried so hard to smile, but I lost control of my emotions and burst out in tears. “Thank you…” I whispered, slowly standing up. I walked over to King Mickey and gave him a huge hug for all of his help. “I think I want to spend some time with my daughter now, if that’s alright.”

“Of course,” Mickey agreed cheerfully. “But Kairi, you may want these.” The small black mouse reached over his desk and picked up two envelopes. They were both addressed to me. “Read these. They might help.”

I slowly grabbed them from his hand and nodded, wondering just what might be inside. After walking out of the room, I closed the door behind me and made my way towards the crib again. Leaning over it, I saw that my baby was sleeping soundly, her tiny chest rising and falling with each deep breath she took. Through the sadness and misery I felt, I couldn’t help but smile at her innocence, beauty, and serenity.

“Are you alright, dear?” a female voice spoke out. I turned around to see Queen Minnie standing right next to me. I suppose I didn’t notice her when I came in the room.

“No…” I confessed honestly, more tears falling down my face. “But I’ll be alright. I just…would like some alone time with my daughter, if that’s ok.”

Queen Minnie nodded and reassured me with a soft smile. Then she turned around and walked out of the room, closing the door behind her. Once I was alone, I finally began to tear open one of the envelopes as anxiety overwhelmed me.

After unfolding the tiny piece of paper tucked away inside, I began to read its contents.

Dear Kairi,

If you’re reading this, Sora and I are most likely dead. I’m really sorry that this had to happen, but it was the only way. I know it’s gonna be hard to raise our child by yourself, but you are strong Kairi. You always were and you always will be. I know there will be times when you feel alone, but remember that I’ll always watch over you. All I ask is that you remind our son or daughter that they had a father – one who loves them very much. And try to remind yourself that I love you too. I always have and always will.

-Riku

PS – I was thinking of names. How about Taro for a boy? And Aimi for a girl? It’s ultimately your decision, but if you’ll ever forgive me for all the disappointment I’ve caused, I would like some decision in our child’s life...

I couldn’t move after reading this letter. I just stared at it with disbelief until a drop of water fell onto the paper. Then another drop fell next to it. And then another. That’s when I discovered that I was crying hysterically. Tears just kept flowing down my face to no end and I could barely breathe. With trembling hands, I folded up Riku’s heartfelt letter and set it on the chair nearby. And even though I was terrified to open the other envelope, I tore at the edge and pulled out another piece of folded paper.

Dear Kairi,

If you’re reading this, it means that I’m probably dead. I’m sorry it had to be this way but I had no other choice. The King probably explained everything to you by now and I realize that you may be angry or confused with all this. But I hope that one day you will understand that I had to do whatever it took to protect you - even if that meant sacrificing myself. Just remember that whenever you feel lonely or sad, you can think of our sanctuary. I’ll be there waiting for you. I’ll always be with you. I love you.

-Sora

When I finished reading this letter, I found that my hysterical cries soon turned into loud, drawn-out sobs. I had no sense of control anymore. The letter dropped from my grasp and I fell to my knees, toppling over onto the floor as all the anger, fear, and confusion poured out of my eyes. And I had nothing left to do but curl into a ball and cry myself to sleep.

~*~*~*~

I awoke the next day to the sound of a high pitched, wailing sound. I literally jumped to my feet when I heard it, my heart pounding with fright. I swayed a bit from morning dizziness, but regained myself quickly and realized what it was. It was my daughter and she was crying her little eyes out. I immediately ran to her crib, hoping that she was alright.

When I saw her, she seemed perfectly fine. All she was doing was kicking and punching the air as she screamed to the top of her tiny lungs. I bent over slowly and picked her up into my arms, shushing her softly. Almost instantly, she quieted down and began to reach at my shirt, right around my chest. That’s when I realized she was probably hungry.

I guess that was when my motherly instincts kicked in and I decided to feed her. Although it was quite uncomfortable, I found it to be one of the most miraculous moments of my life. It was a solid moment where I got to bond with my child and realize just how much I truly loved her. As she happily drank away, I spoke to her and told her all the crazy and wonderful things that happened in my life. I knew she couldn’t understand me but she stared at me with big, curious eyes and was listening nonetheless. Despite the heartbreaking day I had before, this moment made me feel absolutely happy.

After a few hours of playing, tickling, and just holding my daughter, I began to pack our things. I decided it was time for us to go home. King Mickey agreed, of course, and helped us get everything ready and into the Gummi ship. It took a couple of hours just to complete that because everyone wanted to say goodbye to me and the baby – including Queen Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Daisy, and even Pluto.

As soon as we boarded, the Gummi Ship took off and began to fly home. The actual flight back to Destiny Islands was a long one so King Mickey set the ship on auto pilot and took a nap. Shortly after that, my daughter fell asleep too. But I couldn’t even close my eyes for more than a few seconds. My mind kept running over all the craziness of the past nine months.

And although everything still seemed a little jumbled up, something stood out from all the mess. Through all the pain, shame, and misery, I’ve come to realize that love is a funny thing. It can make you do things you never imagined doing. It made me fall head over heels for Sora and made me lust for Riku. It made Sora and Riku go to great lengths just to save me, even if that meant breaking their lifelong friendship only to sacrifice their lives together. It even made a boy from my childhood kill innocent people just so he could find me. But most of all, it made me feel the most powerful emotions for someone I never really knew until recently – my very own daughter.

My thoughts were finally halted when the Gummi ship came to a low rumble. I looked out the window and saw a very familiar and calming sight. It was Destiny Islands. I was finally back home.

I took a deep breath and picked up my daughter, who was now just waking up. The King didn’t wake though and I didn’t want to disturb him, so I just let him sleep. Besides, returning home with my child was something I needed to do alone. This was a very special moment for us and I preferred if no one else was there.

So I opened the hatch door and slowly jumped down onto the soft sand of the beach, my daughter held tightly in my arms. I inhaled the warm sea breeze and watched as the waves rolled onto the shore. Closing my eyes tightly, I let the scent of Destiny Islands cleanse me from pain and fill me with renewal and reassurance.

Even though I knew things would never be the same now that the two boys I loved were gone, I felt this strange excitement quickly build up inside me. And I knew I was ready to start a new life here with my daughter.

So with a gentle smile on my face and the last of my tears rolling down my cheek, I gently kissed my daughters forehead and stared at her beautiful face. “Welcome home, Aimi."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So yea. I really hope you guys enjoyed my fanfic. But remember that its not really over yet. I'm still gonna make an epilogue! And maybe an alternate ending or two, depending on the reaction to this one.

Just let me know what you guys thought overall. I want your complete feedback!

And if you have any questions about the fic, feel free to PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back