• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Life on Mars

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Curiosity Detects Organic Molecules in Martian Atmosphere and Soil - IGN

So, any thoughts on this? The thought of Mars having, or once having, life in some form or another is an intriguing one. Most people have some type of hope or fear of extraterrestrial life. My belief is that there may in fact be life out there, but that it is mostly very small (bacteria, amoebas, etc.). After all, that is the most abundant form of life on earth. It may be a stretch to think that there's some humanoid species out there, but I find it highly likely that some kind of bacteria, single-celled organisms, can exist out there.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i'd like to think so. i can't fathom that despite the countless planets and solar systems in all of these galaxies we are the only intelligent lifeform. its understandable why they couldn't or wouldn't find us, as we haven't been able to find any of them, but tbh i'm fine if all parties stick with who they know.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I think much more interesting than the mere possibility of life on Mars is the questions that need to be posed if it turns out that Mars once had life, or if it still does.

The ethics of even landing on Mars, let alone establishing bases or even terraforming it in the far future become huge issues if it turns out we're trampling on an existing ecology. But even asking that question implies that we have the right to alter the landscape of another world that's been getting alone fine for billions of years without us, native life or none.

If it turns out there's no panspermia relationship between Earth and Mars, the discovery of life (former or current) on Mars could tell us a huge deal of how life comes about, and the different 'genes' involved in them, although the use of that word is dubious. I'm not sure if genes specifically refers to the structures native to life on Earth, or any biological building blocks.

If it turns out that Mars microorganisms aren't violently incompatible or dangerous to us, I could picture there being a lot of exploration of potential medical applications. Or maybe they'd get people high. Who knows, people are willing to stick anything into their bodies.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Kinda disturbing to think all Mar's grass and a good deal of water just floated into space. o_0

D

Deleted member 36435

I think much more interesting than the mere possibility of life on Mars is the questions that need to be posed if it turns out that Mars once had life, or if it still does.

The ethics of even landing on Mars, let alone establishing bases or even terraforming it in the far future become huge issues if it turns out we're trampling on an existing ecology. But even asking that question implies that we have the right to alter the landscape of another world that's been getting alone fine for billions of years without us, native life or none.

If it turns out there's no panspermia relationship between Earth and Mars, the discovery of life (former or current) on Mars could tell us a huge deal of how life comes about, and the different 'genes' involved in them, although the use of that word is dubious. I'm not sure if genes specifically refers to the structures native to life on Earth, or any biological building blocks.

If it turns out that Mars microorganisms aren't violently incompatible or dangerous to us, I could picture there being a lot of exploration of potential medical applications. Or maybe they'd get people high. Who knows, people are willing to stick anything into their bodies.
Genes are stretches of DNA or RNA that code for polypeptides. Mostly proteins but also other organic molecules. Specifically the nucleotides are in repeating sections of 3 (codons) that create amino acids.
Assuming life throughout the universe is consistent with life found on Earth then DNA (or 'genes') are absolutely necessary for it to exist, and by extension evolution should also occur.

Assuming we go by the Darwin ethics when exploring the Universe (which, imo, is our best bet because the Universe is likely a hostile place) then we absolutely do have the right to conquer. Or at least attempt to.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 36435

We need to send one of those Curiosity machines to those Earth-like planets.
Do you know how far those planets are? How would you get the rover to that planet and then retrieve information off it?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Do you know how far those planets are? How would you get the rover to that planet and then retrieve information off it?

ayo when you're back from the edge of our solar system in 80 years hit me up let me know how it was lmfao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back