• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Languages

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muke

whatever
Awards
It's the same in Austria, albeit different lol. Here it's from 9th grade on. As Voido said, depends on the school form you attend:
I go to a Academic Business School, where I could choose either: French, Italian, Spanish or English.

I took Italian and I'm glad, because my new class is awesome and I lovee em

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
This is basically me speaking french xD

Same for me, I can only say "mi chiamo Michael" and that's about it.

Welcome to the club!

I've actually wondered about why so many Finnish people are good in Swedish xD

Speaking of having Swedish in the school program.. I'm from Norway which is also close to Sweden. During the Norwegian classes in high school, we had to read some texts in Swedish. We asked our teacher why, and she revealed that understanding Swedish is part of the shool progam, which is very odd considering that Swedish is not an official languagr in Norway. We did never really get an explanation why it was part of the school program, we just had to deal with it.

Regardless, Swedish is very similiar to Norwegian, so it's easy to understand most of the time :)

What, a Finnish person who is good in Swedish? Those exist only in myths and urban fairy tales. xD

In a more serious tones it` interesting that some of the languages are similar to certain degree where people can understand each-other, like for example folks from Norway and Sweden. Some Finnish gaming journalists joked around how if there is a gaming event in Northern Europe people could just held it in Swedish since most of the people attending understand it. But because a good chunk of Finns are terrible with the language the conventions are held in English instead.
Hmm, Learning Swedish would make sense more if it indeed was the second official language.

It is nice to see folks around the Northern Europe in here.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I've actually wondered about why so many Finnish people are good in Swedish xD

Speaking of having Swedish in the school program.. I'm from Norway which is also close to Sweden. During the Norwegian classes in high school, we had to read some texts in Swedish. We asked our teacher why, and she revealed that understanding Swedish is part of the shool progam, which is very odd considering that Swedish is not an official languagr in Norway. We did never really get an explanation why it was part of the school program, we just had to deal with it.

Regardless, Swedish is very similiar to Norwegian, so it's easy to understand most of the time :)

Yay more Northern Europeans! Norwegian really is similar, we sometimes had to listen to/read it in the Swedish lessons, we even had some Danish in one of the exams once. Finnish is closest to Estonian, but we can't really understand it. I've heard that they can somewhat understand Finnish though.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Norwegian is kind of a mix between English, German and French, am I right?

Rix

:)
Awards
Yay more Northern Europeans! Norwegian really is similar, we sometimes had to listen to/read it in the Swedish lessons, we even had some Danish in one of the exams once. Finnish is closest to Estonian, but we can't really understand it. I've heard that they can somewhat understand Finnish though.
Danish is easy for me to read, but its hard to understand danish when it's spoken xD
Welcome to the club!

What, a Finnish person who is good in Swedish? Those exist only in myths and urban fairy tales. xD

In a more serious tones it` interesting that some of the languages are similar to certain degree where people can understand each-other, like for example folks from Norway and Sweden. Some Finnish gaming journalists joked around how if there is a gaming event in Northern Europe people could just held it in Swedish since most of the people attending understand it. But because a good chunk of Finns are terrible with the language the conventions are held in English instead.
Hmm, Learning Swedish would make sense more if it indeed was the second official language.

It is nice to see folks around the Northern Europe in here.
I've had a couple of Finnish co-workers, and their Swedish were pretty good :)

Yeah, it's nice to not be the only one from Northern Europe here :)

Norwegian is kind of a mix between English, German and French, am I right?
Kinda like German mixed with some English, but it's not like French at all xD

Muke

whatever
Awards
Oh, oh, okay! I thought so because I noticed maaany German words and some English words. My teacher said there's some French in it, too, so that's why I thought it was 'included'. ^^'

Rix

Awards
Oh, oh, okay! I thought so because I noticed maaany German words and some English words. My teacher said there's some French in it, too, so that's why I thought it was 'included'. ^^'

Ah okay :) There might be a few similiar words, but it's still very different from French ^^ I tried to learn French as well, but that only lasted for about 6 months xD

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I've had a couple of Finnish co-workers, and their Swedish were pretty good :)

Yeah, it's nice to not be the only one from Northern Europe here :)

Knowing and speaking Swedish is probably a good plus if one searches for a job in Northern Europe. I think it`s kinda sad that the course we take in the University is supposed to ready us and make us able to speak and use Swedish in our fields of studies an later in our work(for example the history students basically learn words relating to history), but I know that I am still pretty much as terrible at the language as I was before taking the course. I am probably never gonna use the language and hope that I have to never use it after this.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I feel like Norwegian is closer to Dutch than German, though. My grandma probably would've understood a lot of it.

Rix

Awards
I feel like Norwegian is closer to Dutch than German, though. My grandma probably would've understood a lot of it.

That's probably true. I was on a vacation with my family a few years ago, and we met some Dutch people, and they could understand some of the things we said. But then again, a girl from Austria could also understand a little and they speak German in Austria if I'm not mistaken.

Let's just agree that Norwegian is an odd language xD

Muke

whatever
Awards
Yeah, we do speak German in Austria, albeit we sometimes use different phrases. xD
Like, in Germany you'd say "am Morgen", while in Austria EVERYONE says "in der Früh".
We also have some additional words, like: "fladern"-"stehlen", "schnorren"-"borgen", "fad"-"langweilig", "Erdapfel"-"Kartoffel",etc.
Don't get me wrong, those words also 'exist' in Germany, they're not exclusive to Austria, but we use them more frequently.

There's also a "Austrian to German" dictionary, lol..

Rix

Awards
Yeah, we do speak German in Austria, albeit we sometimes use different phrases. xD
Like, in Germany you'd say "am Morgen", while in Austria EVERYONE says "in der Früh".
We also have some additional words, like: "fladern"-"stehlen", "schnorren"-"borgen", "fad"-"langweilig", "Erdapfel"-"Kartoffel",etc.
Don't get me wrong, those words also 'exist' in Germany, they're not exclusive to Austria, but we use them more frequently.

There's also a "Austrian to German" dictionary, lol..

Kartoffel means potatoe, right? It's the same in Danish ;D

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
KARTOFFELN ARE LOVE.
We use words like schnorren and fad quite a lot too, though. Never used "in der früh" tho, lol.

Muke

whatever
Awards
KARTOFFELN ARE LOVE.
We use words like schnorren and fad quite a lot too, though. Never used "in der früh" tho, lol.
You do? I actually thought those words are only prominently used in Austria and Bayern (idk the English name).
Nice to know, heh! What about "Watsche"?

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
I had a slow moment where I was like "Wow, horses sure have a different word in German instead of English. I'm so used to words being similar. Pferd is such a strange name. So different."

Then my German friend (whom I'm trying to impress and clearly am not) had to remind me that I've been quoting words like , "Entschuldigung" "Jungen" and "Mädchen" to her and that I had clearly just gotten used to them from the lessons I took. That's when I remembered I'm an idiot

Muke

whatever
Awards
I had a slow moment where I was like "Wow, horses sure have a different word in German instead of English. I'm so used to words being similar. Pferd is such a strange name. So different."

Then my German friend (whom I'm trying to impress and clearly am not) had to remind me that I've been quoting words like , "Entschuldigung" "Jungen" and "Mädchen" to her and that I had clearly just gotten used to them from the lessons I took. That's when I remembered I'm an idiot
How do you pronounce Pferd? If you pronounce it in like… an English way, it does sound rather strange, lol.
But I don't think the German pronunciation sounds strange? But, well, what do I know, I'm used to it, lol. Probably sounds strange to a lot of English people.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Sorry for doubleposting, but my Italian Teacher is literally making me go nuts.

Our exam is in one week. We asked her when she'd tell us what's coming in the exam.
"I will tell you in a week."
"But the exam is next week."
"NO!!!"

ok

Then she looked it up akd told us what's coming:
Numbers 1-170 (even though we only learned 1-5 but ok)
Verbs, ere are
Dialogues (lol we literally never wrote one)
How to order food in a bar (thx for not being competent enough to do this with us)

and then she says: "We will not be training, you will have to öearn all pf that yorselves."

Can you please f*cking stop being such an incompetent idiot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back