• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts 3D North American Demo Incoming!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
Well, a demo is going to be at that UK event so I'm assuming a demo is ready. If you mean the demo that is going to be released to Nintendo 3DS systems, don't get your hopes up, the game has months to come out, so they have time.

Don't worry I'm not but I'm assuming so with the gradual releases of information; it'll eventually seem closer.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Does anyone know if the demo will be compatible with the circle pad pro?

Considering the demos for Resident Evil Revelations and Metal Gear Solid 3D had compatibility with the Circle Pad Pro, I'd say we're good to go.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but yes, Kingdom Hearts was shown at a pre-E3 demo meeting last night apparently, and it was in English.

A Night of Speed-Dating With Kingdom Hearts, Theatrhythm and Heroes of Ruin

For those who can't read it, he said this about KH:

The best thing I can say about Kingdom Hearts is that I came back to it at the end of the night after having started with it. Honestly, that's because it confused me the first time. Dream Drop Distance is the newest game in the series, a snappily (for Square-Enix standards) four-month translation-turnaround from its March 2012 release in Japan and the newest game in terms of the 10-year-old series' storyline. About all I retain from my toe-dips into this series is that these are the games where Disney characters hang out with Final Fantasy or Final Fantasy-like character, lots of characters in black cloaks say mysterious things and the ever-flashy real-time combat rewards rapid button-pressers with spectacular special effects. This new game's got all of that.

You play alternately as series regulars Sora and Riku both of whom have been been sent by the series' wise-old-man Yensid into a bunch of dreamscapes in order to take their Mark of Mastery Exam, a qualifying test that you're supposed to have aced to earn the right to wield the signature weapon of the Kingdom Hearts games, the Keyblade.

Full size
The game is all sensory overload. Lots of talking, lots of dropped items and text alerts. We've got action on the top screen rendered in deep 3D that occasionally appears to pop out of the screen. On the bottom screen we've got a map and some tappable buttons, including a trio that are associated with a batch of so-called Dream Eaters whose menacing classification belies the fact that they look as threatening as balloon animals. As you smash through enemies the Dream Eaters fight alongside you and can be summoned to your side to enhance your attacks. You need to smash enough enemies to fill their pink power meters and then summon one or both for increasingly devastating combo moves. As Sora or Riku you've got the standard Kingdom Hearts rapid-fire battle controls, which let you smash buttons to chain attacks that are listed as a bunch of branching labels, all changing on the fly depending on which move is available next. So, yeah, these games are still sugar rushes.

You were always spry in Kingdom Hearts games, but you're even more spry in this one thanks to a new Y-button-activated feature that lets you bounce of walls and twirl around lamp postss. It's Kingdom Hearts parkour, I guess, though of course they don't call it that. As a result, the best instructional text prompt of 2012 so far is in this game: "Own your enemies with flowmotion." OK. I will!

Any decent games reporter will ask a Square assistant product manager to explain a weird title like Dream Drop Distance. Any decent Square assistant product manager won't waste time with the obvious "3D" aspect of the name and will instead explain that the "Dream" is for the idea that Sora and Riku are on an adventure in dream worlds, the "Drop" refers to the game's distinct flow (you play a chunk as Sora while an on-screen Drop meter slowly drains; then you cash in Sora's items and experience to level up Riku and play as him until his Drop meter drains and you're warped back to his part of the adventure), and... oh, yeah, "Distance" kind of refers to that, too.

Full size
Even in two 10-minute sessions, the most I can get out of KH:DDD aside from all of those basics is confirmation that, yeah, if you want to go through large levels in, say, some sort of opera house while chasing Disney bad-guy Pete, you'll be able to do it. You'll be able to do it, while mashing many buttons to fight many rainbow-monster bad guys, with rainbow-animal allies at your side. And, if you want to play a game in which you might open a chest and find Minnie Mouse inside it and in which, while you're talking to her you might see some dark-robed guy in the background messing with some big piece of gears or clockwork or something and this is all part of a big plot of some sort... here's your game.

The 3D was good and it played nice and flashy. I think that's what Kingdom Hearts fans want? Aside from all that great mash-up fan service?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Don't think it was posted yet, but this must be what SEEmily was referring to yesterday afternoon! :O

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
It should be, the game itself will be, but even if it isn't, I haven't heard anything about the Circle Pad Pro being a game changer.

The Nintendo Power cover story in the March issue mentions this.
"It also boasts some of the system's finest stereoscopic 3D and supports the Circle Pad Pro for improved camera controls."

it's the last sentence of the second-to-last paragraph on page 39, if you have the issue.

I'm hoping for controls similar to the PS2 entries with it, considering with the CPP the 3DS now has almost the same number of buttons as a PS2 controller.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
"It also boasts some of the system's finest stereoscopic 3D and supports the Circle Pad Pro for improved camera controls."

it's the last sentence of the second-to-last paragraph on page 39, if you have the issue.

I'm hoping for controls similar to the PS2 entries with it, considering with the CPP the 3DS now has almost the same number of buttons as a PS2 controller.

With the Circle Pad Pro, we have four shoulder buttons, why do we have to stand-still to select a Deck Command? Maybe they'll implement it, but probably not.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Even in two 10-minute sessions, the most I can get out of KH:DDD aside from all of those basics is confirmation that, yeah, if you want to go through large levels in, say, some sort of opera house while chasing Disney bad-guy Pete, you'll be able to do it. You'll be able to do it, while mashing many buttons to fight many rainbow-monster bad guys, with rainbow-animal allies at your side. And, if you want to play a game in which you might open a chest and find Minnie Mouse inside it and in which, while you're talking to her you might see some dark-robed guy in the background messing with some big piece of gears or clockwork or something and this is all part of a big plot of some sort... here's your game.
Welp, I'm sold.

I like this reviewer. He doesn't pander to the series (like Famitsu) or its fans but he understands what the people who play it really want and respects that. Hearing it described as a "sugar rush" sounds just about right.

Thanks for posting this kupo1121.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

I'm well aware that it supports Circle Pad Pro, what I meant is that I doubt that with the Circle Pad Pro the game becomes radically different. By "game changer" I was implying something that completely changeds the way a game is played to the point where it almost seem like two completely different games.

Welp, I'm sold.

I like this reviewer. He doesn't pander to the series (like Famitsu) or its fans but he understands what the people who play it really want and respects that. Hearing it described as a "sugar rush" sounds just about right.

Thanks for posting this kupo1121.

Welcome, I couldn't find out who else attended the event, but expect more write ups soon considering the writer said SE was quite open about letting them write about their experience online. At least we now know an English demo exists! :D

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Need shouldn't be confused with want.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Well with everybody complaining about how the next console game is not coming fast enough, it might as well be need.

No, it isn't. I want a full story that's fleshed out, not "Xehanort did stuff in the original, than II, now we get him back in III, the end!" I want something worth the time and money I've spent all these years, such an integral part of my childhood deserves the V.I.P. treatment.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
No, it isn't. I want a full story that's fleshed out, not "Xehanort did stuff in the original, than II, now we get him back in III, the end!" I want something worth the time and money I've spent all these years, such an integral part of my childhood deserves the V.I.P. treatment.
Hear, hear. And anyway, fans can be fickle and KH has a reputation to uphold. I'd almost feel betrayed if Nomura didn't go ahead and do something wildly off the beaten path just for the heck of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back