• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts 3 novel series by Tomoco Kanemaki releasing March 2019!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Will an English version be released or is this just Japanese like the Ultimania?

This release is in Japanese. Yen Press, who is localizing the KH manga and novels, has yet to confirm if they will be doing so for the KHX or KH3 novels. Send them your support on social media if you want to see these make their way overseas!

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Yay! New Amano art on the horizon!! ^W^
We may be waiting for a cover, but just knowing we're getting more Amano art is good enough for me :D

Dammit. I keep reading Yen Press as Yen Sid Press.
"Yen Sid Press! Books available at your nearest local Mysterious Tower or Twilight Town mansion."

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
The manga is a treasure. Let no one tell you otherwise~

& Alright, more fleshed out novelizations and more sweet Amano art, baby. Give it to meee

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
I’m assuming Yen Press will just release it as is. They are also publishing the Short Stories which combined are both about the same size as coded.

Yen Press will likely get to it eventually, it just depends on how many people they have on hand. They seemed pretty interested in the X[chi] novel so I want to believe they plan on putting more focus on the KH novels this year to try and capitalize on the post-KH3 drought for as long as it is around.

Huh, never knew they announced they licensed short stories.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
I was always kind of weary about her. What with her being the reason Xion "tragic female 14th member" exists and her rather yaoi based tendencies in writing, among other stuff, I felt she was an ascended fanfiction writer who just so happens to be tied to the actual director and has story connections.

AayriSolassa

I'm especially excited for this and the BBS one, because doesn't the latter give Vanitas a lot more characterisation?

bagcifreak

Huh, never knew they announced they licensed short stories.
Same. When did Yen Press announce that they'll release the Short stories?

Maybe they'll release them alongside Coded so it still has a decent size and they wouldn't have to change the cover but just put some sticker on there that mentions the extra stories.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Same. When did Yen Press announce that they'll release the Short stories?

Maybe they'll release them alongside Coded so it still has a decent size and they wouldn't have to change the cover but just put some sticker on there that mentions the extra stories.

I think I missremembered it. I swore they mentioned it at a panel back when they mentioned BBS and Days, but I can’t find any reports of it. Sorry y’all!

I was always kind of weary about her. What with her being the reason Xion "tragic female 14th member" exists and her rather yaoi based tendencies in writing, among other stuff, I felt she was an ascended fanfiction writer who just so happens to be tied to the actual director and has story connections.

I personally am not a Xion fan, but Xion has a pretty large audience of fans worldwide. She has been one of the more liked characters, so regardless of how we all feel on an individual level about Xion’s character, her addition has been received positively.

Kanemaki’s primary writing experience past KH has been BL light novels and 18+ rated games...so I wouldn’t say she is an ascended fan fiction writer. BL and mature content has always her writing focus. Disney and SE chose her to write the novels so they clearly like her writing.

And I mean...everybody has to come from somewhere, and they get opportunities somehow. Connections are pretty important, too.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
if anything she is not yaoi ENOUGH. i want kiss scenes. i want accidental handholding. I want but-theres-only-one-bed. I want two bros chilling in a hot tub. the novels would be better if they were just wall to wall heavy gay subtext

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
if anything she is not yaoi ENOUGH. i want kiss scenes. i want accidental handholding. I want but-theres-only-one-bed. I want two bros chilling in a hot tub. the novels would be better if they were just wall to wall heavy gay subtext

For real. The only thing I do have to say is that Sora and Riku are already past accidental handholding and just hold hands proudly. 1000 time over. No excuse for everybody else, though.

If Tomoco doesn’t start the novel out by describing Xehanort and Eraqus’ chess game as intimate and flirtatious with hand brushes and low-lidded eyes, I will be disappointed.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
I personally am not a Xion fan, but Xion has a pretty large audience of fans worldwide. She has been one of the more liked characters, so regardless of how we all feel on an individual level about Xion’s character, her addition has been received positively.

Kanemaki’s primary writing experience past KH has been BL light novels and 18+ rated games...so I wouldn’t say she is an ascended fan fiction writer. BL and mature content has always her writing focus. Disney and SE chose her to write the novels so they clearly like her writing.

And I mean...everybody has to come from somewhere, and they get opportunities somehow. Connections are pretty important, too.

That's pretty much subjective because Xion still has detractors. She's not all that ahead of other girls like Kairi and Naminè. No one can argue statistics and claim one thing or the other because there's no way to fully measure opinions of the entire fanbase. The only one we know for certain that hit success is Aqua, and it's due to the mass support and consistency in that support. A sample size isn't representative of all.

And what I truly meant is how Xion (and Days to an extent) reeks of every thing those self-insert 14th member fanfics have been known for. And Xion is not even a subversion like how Naminè was. She plays it straight. The "suffering" and "tragedy" is only used to elevate her in sympathy and spur on the emotion of the main male character. That, and 358/2 Days had the plot dip in to fit Xion as an insertion. Which I've talked about in the thread proper and not going to bring it here.

I'm not sure on her quality of writing or what her experience entails, I'm just going by the fact that she inputs in much the same way Shiro Amano does, her personal preference within the characters and the novels. Hence, the ascended fanfiction writer. She definitely has a penchant for SoRiku, for example, lol.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
That's pretty much subjective because Xion still has detractors. She's not all that ahead of other girls like Kairi and Naminè. No one can argue statistics and claim one thing or the other because there's no way to fully measure opinions of the entire fanbase. The only one we know for certain that hit success is Aqua, and it's due to the mass support and consistency in that support. A sample size isn't representative of all.

And what I truly meant is how Xion (and Days to an extent) reeks of every thing those self-insert 14th member fanfics have been known for. And Xion is not even a subversion like how Naminè was. She plays it straight. The "suffering" and "tragedy" is only used to elevate her in sympathy and spur on the emotion of the main male character. That, and 358/2 Days had the plot dip in to fit Xion as an insertion. Which I've talked about in the thread proper and not going to bring it here.

I'm not sure on her quality of writing or what her experience entails, I'm just going by the fact that she inputs in much the same way Shiro Amano does, her personal preference within the characters and the novels. Hence, the ascended fanfiction writer. She definitely has a penchant for SoRiku, for example, lol.

Y'know, I've kinda gotten sick of the "fanfic" criticism in regards to Xion. If I've learned anything from the Internet or pop culture in general, it's that you see certain themes and motifs pop up again and again, and what makes a Mary Sue a Mary Sue is going to change depending on the person. As a recommendation, check out Overly Sarcastic Productions and their video on the subject on YouTube, it does a good job illustrating what I mean.

To look at some of your points, let's take the character aspect of Xion out of the picture for a sec, what do we have? A replica designed to cipher Sora's powers. They essentially built on what was established in CoM with the Repliku. And while it does seem odd at first to have a 14th member in an Organization named for having 13 members, given what we know about Xehanort and his backup plans upon backup plans, it makes sense for Xemnas to keep Xion around as such a backup in case Roxas either defected, was destroyed or deemed inadequate.
And it wasn't just because of Xion that Roxas left, she just got the ball rolling. He left because he was tired of being left in the dark, especially from Axel, his best friend. Again, Xion may have been a factor, but it was ultimately due to lack of trust from the Organization as a whole.

As for Kanemaki's writing having preference for certain characters, while I have yet to read the KH novels myself, couldn't the same be said of all writers to an extent?

I won't argue that there are detractors to characters like Xion, and like you said, it'd be impossible to measure opinions of the entire fandom, but just because Xion was created to play the role of tragic figure in the story doesn't mean it was done badly. You can have a trope be played straight and still have it be compelling. Were there aspects of Xion's story that could with some fine tuning? Sure, I'll agree to that, but please, let's just drop the fanfic comparisons.

hlc1988

Awards
It's great to see that KHIII will be novelized as well. Hopefully, this one will make its way to the West as well. Could there be a chance, now that Recoded has been announced for this year, that DDD could be released end of this year?

I've got most of the novels but have yet to really read them. I still need to buy Days but figured I would do so when BBS comes out next month.

Back