• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts #11 on GI's Top 25 games that defined PS2

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ams Tram Gram

Pique et pique et col?grame
I really think the Jak series should've been on there, instead of the Ratchet and Clank series. I mean, I love RC, but I find the Jak games to be more polished.

Also, I would expect MGS to be higher up in the rankings. I mean, MGS2 was a hailed as a masterpiece in videogaming when it came out.

Oh, and uh...go KH.

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA
KH continues to bring in new gameplay dynamics and a universe that's more in depth than Final Fantasy, imo.

Uh no. After CoM, the series has become like FF. Doing the same things, just more flashier. But FF is actually evolving, leaving the old turn based system; FFXII and FFXIII are the first steps. KH on the other hand, has been the same. It hasnt done anything revolutionary to its mechanics; like I said, they've made them flashier to brain wash the community. "Ooh, pretty colors. Me want!" Proof: the new 3 games coming out.

yoyoj06

Website
www.freewebs.com
Compared to other PS2 rpgs, the KH series pretty much takes the cake. 'Specially graphics-wise.
I tend to not trust rankings because video games are really a matter of who you are and what you like.
Still, it's no surprise that KH is regarded as defining the PS2 :)

it was a collaboration of all the staff at GI. so you had people who like different types of games so everything was represented equally

Ren

adios motherfucker
Uh no. After CoM, the series has become like FF. Doing the same things, just more flashier. But FF is actually evolving, leaving the old turn based system; FFXII and FFXIII are the first steps. KH on the other hand, has been the same. It hasnt done anything revolutionary to its mechanics; like I said, they've made them flashier to brain wash the community. "Ooh, pretty colors. Me want!" Proof: the new 3 games coming out.

I'm not a big fan of FF12, so I don't know if you'd understand my disappointment with PS2 FF games. I saw nothing revolutionary about FF12, except for the fact that random encounters were finally demolished. I was upset at the lack of individuality the licenses presented. The entire "Final Fantasy" feel established for me was completely off.

KH is improving faster than the decade or two that it took FF to root out random encounters, imo.
I might be lazy, but I'm a sucker for flashy mechanics. Despite the fact that KH2 turned into a button masher and could have undergone so much improvement, I enjoyed it more than fighting hundreds of random encounters in FFX. That's probably the biggest difference we have in opinions, simply because we saw the battle mechanics differently.

Plotwise, KH is deeper than any single FF game. Call it unfair, but that's what I believe.

Maybe I'm just prejudiced against the flaws in FF, but I'm honestly going to say that I've enjoyed KH more. :/
I don't doubt that FF13 will be a step forward for FF, but I'm not impressed with what I've been seeing.

it was a collaboration of all the staff at GI. so you had people who like different types of games so everything was represented equally

I know that much, but rankings don't help people who aren't all-around gamers very much. And there aren't many all-around gamers.

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA
I'm not a big fan of FF12, so I don't know if you'd understand my disappointment with PS2 FF games. I saw nothing revolutionary about FF12, except for the fact that random encounters were finally demolished. I was upset at the lack of individuality the licenses presented. The entire "Final Fantasy" feel established for me was completely off.

Like I said, FFXII was just the first game to break the mold. Square is taking what was good and take out what was bad about that game and progress. Thats why I said FF is actually evolving.

KH is improving faster than the decade or two that it took FF to root out random encounters, imo.

Improving faster? In what aspect? The only big difference between KH and KHII is you pressed the X button a couple thousand times in KHII than in the first game.

Plotwise, KH is deeper than any single FF game. Call it unfair, but that's what I believe.

:lol:

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
I find it hard to believe that KH has a deeper plot than the whole FF7 collection... >_>;

Random encounters were irritating, though, I agree with you on that.

Ren

adios motherfucker
Like I said, FFXII was just the first game to break the mold. Square is taking what was good and take out what was bad about that game and progress. Thats why I said FF is actually evolving.

Improving faster? In what aspect? The only big difference between KH and KHII is you pressed the X button a couple thousand times in KHII than in the first game.

:lol:

I love Final Fantasy, but I hate 12. I didn't even like 10 that much. :/ So KH would be better to me, wouldn't it?
Anyway, I understand why you think my opinions are dumb. Maybe if I liked 12 at all, I wouldn't be putting up this argument.

I find it hard to believe that KH has a deeper plot than the whole FF7 collection... >_>;

Random encounters were irritating, though, I agree with you on that.

I'm talking 'bout PS2 games.

FF7 was deeper than KH will ever be.
And I'm starting to hate the FF7 compilation. DoC was a wtf moment for me. If they ever release that sequel, I will stop playing Final Fantasy games.

O

Oberon

Hell yeah, Guitar Hero got #6. Too bad DDR wasn't up there.

And I think it's unfortunate a game like Tony Hawk gets Top 10 but KH doesn't. Even if the genre's are totally different, or maybe I just have a personal vendetta against TH games.

yoyoj06

Website
www.freewebs.com
why dont we just accept the rankings for what they are. yea there is disagreements, but u have to understand what they are actually ranking.
IT IS NOT "top 25 games on ps2"
IT IS "top 25 games that defined a generation" that generation being the one of ps2.
it is more saying what are the staples of ps2. and what really made ps2 great.

the tony hawk arguement, there is a reason it is there. the innovation at the time and it defined the ps2. i understand these rankings. i agree with the rankings, accept i think a few should be flip-flopped, but so what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back