• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► KHI Book Club - What are you currently reading?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I just finished a rather interesting take on Disney's Beauty and the Beast called 'As Old as Time: A Twisted Tale' by Liz Braswell. It is actually very engrossing read that runs on the basis that Belle's mother was the enchantress. The first half of the book is retelling the movie with some new details and some chapters that set up the curse, the scene with Belle and the Rose is where it finally full-out diverges. I decided to include he summary from the cover for you guys.

"Belle is a lot of things: smart, resourceful, restless. She longs to escape her poor provincial town for good. She wants to explore the world, despite her father's reluctance to leave their little cottage in case Belle's mother returns--a mother she barely remembers. Belle also happens to be the captive of a terrifying, angry beast. And that is her primary concern.

But when Belle touches the Beast's enchanted rose, intriguing images flood her mind--images of a the mother she believed she would never see again. Stranger still, she sees that her mother is none other than the beautiful Enchantress who cursed the Beast, his castle, and all its inhabitants. Shocked and confused, Belle and the Beast must work together to unravel a dark mystery about their families that is twenty-one years in the making." - Book Dustcover

I hope you guys are interested and might give this a read one day ^-^

I'm not going to read far into your post assuming there are spoilers, because I just picked up the copy on my most recent trip to Disney World. I'm glad to hear that you really enjoyed it though, so I can't wait to really dive in. I hope to find the time to do that this or next week, as the trailer for the new movie has totally gotten me into the mood. The author has made similar treatments of Disney characters, such as Ursula and Maleficent.

It's been a while since I've done some quality reading. I really want to revisit Paolini's Inheritance Cycle, which is the whole reason why I began writing in the first place. There are some classics that I missed and really want to catch up on too, including ​The Road and Dune. I think I may dedicate a significant time of my break after this semester to getting caught up on all the great books that I've missed.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Annoyance said:
I recently finished Neverwhere by Gaiman because I saw Taochan's post and I thoroughly enjoyed it, loved reading it.

Sabrina, yesssssssssss. I'm so glad you liked it!

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I finished The Remains of the Day. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't overly exciting either.

I got in All You Need is Kill today. Because you know, too many books is a better problem than not enough.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
My friend lent me Jonathan Stroud's "The Amulet of Samarkand" so that's what I'll be reading.

Nice! This whole series is one of my favorites.

I heard that there are new books outside of the original trilogy now?

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
@FangirlfromHell; that definitely sounds like something I would like to read! I'll have to find it sometime. I started a manga I bought recently called Kitchen Princess which is about an orphan named Najika who met a boy that saved her life and cheered her up after she lost her parents when she was a kid. Then after many years enrolls in an academy that the boy she met may be at, thanks to an emblem on the spoon the boy left her. This manga is wonderful so far, it's really heartwarming. <3

Lonbilly

an old man plaguing the site like a phantom
Awards
Just finished The Last Girl by Joe Hart, which is the first book in an adult dystopian trilogy. I absolutely loved it. I was expecting it to be pretty pretentious or boring, but damn, was it everything I thought it wasn't going to be. It also went out of its way to subtley comment on some of the cliches you see in other dystopian works, which I enjoyed. I am definitely going to be picking up the next book asap.

Max

Staff member
Awards
Finished Judy Blume's Forever... for my AYA class. Wow, that book kind of sucked. The content was realistic and everything in portraying what a girl may have to go through at that age seemed accurate, but overall I don't really feel like there is much to be gained from the book. Plus the writing was just poor, I get the age group it's geared towards, but bad writing is just bad writing no matter how you swing it. Our teacher even said she's looking for a replacement book for it in the coming year.

In the same AYA class though, we've just started reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, and it is much more enjoyable. We discussed in class how the protagonist handles describing these situations to us in a light-hearted and humorous way, but how the same exact content of this story could have been spun into a sad and dark tale of this young boy's life, it goes to show that it's really all dependent on how the individual handles the situations they're put in emotionally and trying to make the best of it.

Chuuya

Awards
Today I just finished Kitchen Princess by Natsumi Ando and finally finished Esperanza Rising by Pan Muñoz Ryan. I also finished Maximum Ride Manga Volume 6 at some spare time in school. I've gotten my hands on the original Jurassic Park novel by Michael Crichton. Now to see the differences between the book and the movie! :3

Lonbilly

an old man plaguing the site like a phantom
Awards
Started listening to The Scorch Trials for my trips to work and then back home. Not really a fan of James Dashner's writing style or characterization, but I was curious enough about how the rest of the series is past book one, since book one was at least entertaining. I'm enjoying it so far, but it's definitely not anything special, just entertainment.

Chuuya

Awards
I started a book called Truth or Die by James Patterson (yes, I like James Patterson books). And I'm liking how the story is starting off so far, has a good and intriguing mystery behind it! Also I'm in the middle of a book called Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse which got kind of sad but is interesting for the story and the book itself for the format of the words on each page.

Max

Staff member
Awards
I started a book called Truth or Die by James Patterson (yes, I like James Patterson books). And I'm liking how the story is starting off so far, has a good and intriguing mystery behind it! Also I'm in the middle of a book called Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse which got kind of sad but is interesting for the story and the book itself for the format of the words on each page.

Truth or Die sounds like an R.L. Stine title haha.

Chuuya

Awards
Has anyone ever read The Giver?
I really enjoyed reading the book, I think there's more books of the series. If there is, I want to get my hands on them.
The story is so powerful and shows importance of memories and feelings which is why I really liked reading the book.

Chuuya

Awards
I can't choose between either to read Fault In Our Stars by John Green first or Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs first. What shall I decide?

Max

Staff member
Awards
I really enjoyed reading the book, I think there's more books of the series. If there is, I want to get my hands on them.
The story is so powerful and shows importance of memories and feelings which is why I really liked reading the book.

I can't choose between either to read Fault In Our Stars by John Green first or Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs first. What shall I decide?

I read The Giver as a random independent reading project in 877th grade. We had about 20 books to choose from and I just happened to grab that one, and my 8th grade mind was blown. As far as I know there aren't any more books though, I believe it was a standalone.

And I will stand behind anything John Green. Looking for Alaska was recommended to me in this very thread, and since reading it I have read every single book he's written. the Fault in Our Stars was really enjoyable ( book was definitely better than the movie). Even so, it's my least favorite of John Green's books, but very good nonetheless.

Chuuya

Awards
Yeah, I saw a friend of mine had a book that looked like a sequel to The Giver, that's why I happened to mention if there was. My brother read The Fault In Our Stars last year and seeing it interested him (he never reads much lol), I became interested. :3

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards

The Giver is an excellent book. I had it as a required reading in high school and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lois Lowry has written three other books that aren't true sequels, but are in the same storyline/universe and do eventually tell of what happened. I believe in order they are Gathering Blue, Messenger, and Son. I actually never got the chance to read them, but yes, there are more books.

Max

Staff member
Awards
The Giver is an excellent book. I had it as a required reading in high school and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lois Lowry has written three other books that aren't true sequels, but are in the same storyline/universe and do eventually tell of what happened. I believe in order they are Gathering Blue, Messenger, and Son. I actually never got the chance to read them, but yes, there are more books.

That's awesome to hear, I'm going to look into those as well.

Roxie1563

Actress/Healer in Persona: Icebound
Awards
That's awesome to hear, I'm going to look into those as well.

Grizzly beat me to the punch about me telling you about The Giver series and funny enough, it was the book I had to read for a report in English class during middle school. Like you, my mind was blown on everything and I made sure to keep myself updated on a possible sequel of it.

Also, there is a movie about it that came out a few years ago, if my memory serves me right. And yes, I see the irony of it just now. XD

Back