• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► KHI Book Club - What are you currently reading?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Currently re-reading The Maze Runner and The Hunger Games. Decided to revisit both series on a whim to see if I still enjoy them as much the second time around as I did the first.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Fate of the Tearling - This book deserves five stars. A lot of people didn't like the way the trilogy ended. </3 However, I thought it was unique, and done extremely well. It covered things like sacrifice and consequences of what Kelsa could do. It wrapped up everything in the previous two books including the mystery of who her father was. The only thing I somewhat disliked was the end with Katie because, that was some creepy ghost crap you'd see in a movie theater. Atop of that it was never about who she romantically ended up with either because, it was so much bigger than her. If you like fantasy mixed in with a dystopian feel to it, I highly recommend this series.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Discussion question: When is the right time for you to give up on a book? Do you push through and see if it gets any better or do you trust your gut and move onto something that interests you more?

I'm currently facing this as I said about Wind-up Bird Chronicle which is so odd to me because I like the style, but Murakami makes his work so dense that it's tiring to read a lot at once.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Discussion question: When is the right time for you to give up on a book? Do you push through and see if it gets any better or do you trust your gut and move onto something that interests you more?

I'm currently facing this as I said about Wind-up Bird Chronicle which is so odd to me because I like the style, but Murakami makes his work so dense that it's tiring to read a lot at once.

In my personal experience, it kind of depends on the book. If you like the writing style but the story's not clicking yet, then you should try to push through and at least finish it. But if you're hating the writing style and can't make it past the first few chapters, then I'd go with my gut and walk away.

Pandymint

Awards
Horns now sounds REALLY familiar, I may look into that!

Could potentially be due to the fact that it received a film adaptation in 2013 starring Daniel Radcliffe. It didn't get the best reviews, but I really enjoyed the film.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Could potentially be due to the fact that it received a film adaptation in 2013 starring Daniel Radcliffe. It didn't get the best reviews, but I really enjoyed the film.
It is essentially a 50/50 chance of you enjoying it from what I saw. Radcliffe did a good job, so I hear, but the rest of the film doesn't feed everything to you as the book does and so the "suspense" is weakened.

Pandymint

Awards
It is essentially a 50/50 chance of you enjoying it from what I saw. Radcliffe did a good job, so I hear, but the rest of the film doesn't feed everything to you as the book does and so the "suspense" is weakened.

Oh, I felt that Radcliffe was absolutely fantastic. It's right in that it doesn't feed you everything, and there are changes to things like Lee's character's injuries and more elaboration on Ig's encounters with the snakes, and just generally more backstory on a lot of the characters. The biggest change without a doubt is the ending. It gets kinda over the top, campy, and cheesy at the very last minutes. I still really enjoyed it despite those things.

Plus it had Where Is My Mind? by The Pixies as an insert song and who could hate that?

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards

The first chapter. It's a writer's job to grab readers from beginning to end, so I feel that if a book fails to hold my interest within the first chapter then it's best I just move on to something else.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Horns fucked me up and now I'm struggling to push through Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. Murakami likes to focus on every minute detail of the focus's life and so it gets slow when a lot of Horns was "he thought about doing the thing then did the thing" rather than mulling it over during an entire lengthy morning routine.
Wind-Up Bird is honestly really frustrating. There are a few "flashback" chapters from the perspective of a different character that literally go nowhere and are never relevant again despite SEEMING important.

The book itself has quite a neat concept with the sisters and the well, but it left me disappointed.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
@Pandy; now I remember! I remember seeing the movie Horns in a list of films before but I never really gave interest into it because I didn't know much about it at first. It now makes sense why it had sounded familiar lol.

Muke

whatever
Awards
I'm still reading Boy7 for my German class. It's an interesting book, that's for sure. I like it so far.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I've been reading a lot of books recently. Here's the most recent ones I tried. :)

The Female Species by Mindy McGinnis. I really liked this book a lot because it involves a girl who's sister was murdered. The beginning of it kind of made me feel a bit sad because, sometimes it gets a little graphic or too real for me, but I liked it a lot. The story is fleshed out really well, and there were times, I had to stop reading it to make sure my brain caught up because, it had me hooked in deep. (I have a tendency to read fast.) Anyways, I kind of wish they elaborated a tiny bit more on the ending. Although, this isn't the book for the faint of heart.

We all looked up by Tommy Wallach. I took a leap of faith with this book and thought it was really good. I felt like it was a bit more meaningful, cause it points out the things we overlook in life. The individual characters really have a great voice, and really make it all come together. So if you like the kind of books that suggest the world is about to end, it might be worth looking into.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Currently reading the A Series of Unfortunate Events pseudo-prequel series All The Wrong Questions. It's got the same humor as the original series, and just as entertaining.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I haven't had time to read a full novel lately (still :frown:), but thanks to the Fairy Tales class I'm taking I've been reading a bunch of those. It's definitely a departure from my normal readings, but it's quite interesting nonetheless.

Pandymint

Awards
So I've been reading more of Kurt Cobain's Journals and I came across an anecdote that blew me away. Here's a picture of it with the bits highlighted.

a9d94d19f0.jpg

A 60's Fender Mustang is the next guitar I wanna get, which he got his for $20. For comparison, a similar guitar today...

63ed141a0f.jpg[

Chuuya

Awards
After reading Maze Runner, now it's time to read Scorch Trials!
I still need to watch the movie, I heard to second movie went way off track from the book somewhere near the ending. I mean, that's what I've heard others say. :/

KeybladeOrder

Awards
After reading Maze Runner, now it's time to read Scorch Trials!
I still need to watch the movie, I heard to second movie went way off track from the book somewhere near the ending. I mean, that's what I've heard others say. :/

Oh, it goes off track right from the beginning. The character backgrounds of the new characters introduced are completely changed (their personalities are mostly the same, but their backstory and role in the plot was completely butchered in the movie).

As for what I'm reading now, I'm on the last 50 pages of the third All The Wrong Questions book, and I'm about to start Everlost by Neal Shusterman.

Chuuya

Awards
Oh, it goes off track right from the beginning. The character backgrounds of the new characters introduced are completely changed (their personalities are mostly the same, but their backstory and role in the plot was completely butchered in the movie).

As for what I'm reading now, I'm on the last 50 pages of the third All The Wrong Questions book, and I'm about to start Everlost by Neal Shusterman.
Huh, I only kept hearing mostly the ending but I guess even the beginning is way off.
I may watch the first movie though.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro. I like her take on the descendants of Sherlock Holmes and Watson's, cause it's a pretty compelling book to read. However it can be kind of rough to read in the beginning until you push past it to get to the good stuff. Although, I know not everyone likes the take on a female Holmes.

And I've recently purchased A Conjuring of Light, The Queen of the Tearling, and The Invasion of the Tearling to add to my collection of books. Therefore, I'm reading the Tearling series for a second time in a row. Then once I get through those, I'll tackle A Conjuring of Light next. <3 Anyways I've noticed over the past three years in a row now that my reading list in manga has dropped significantly. I haven't tried to find new manga to read on my own time, instead I go to novels 90% of the time. I do read some manga, but it's stuff I kept up with for a few years now like Food Wars and Black Butler. I kind of feel a bit sad about it because, I feel like manga doesn't excite me as much as it used to. :c Although, manga being ten bucks each probably helps with that.

I do have a small TBR list!

Caraval
The Secret of a Heart Note
The Magician's King (I'm skipping the second book because, I can't get past the dullness of Fillory.)
Gods and Generals (Some history I wanted to read about.)
Holding up the Universe - Jennifer Niven (I liked her first book, but having a hard time loving her new one.)

Back